Whats causing the dip in permits issued for a second, smaller home sharing a city lot with an existing house?
Longtime small housing advocate Kol Peterson studied data from the City of Portland and found permits for accessory dwelling units (ADUs) decreased in 2019.
He thinks the decline was the result of a flurry of interested homeowners applying for a permit, before the rules changed in 2018, to benefit from fee-waiver incentives with no restrictions on short-term rentals.
Some of permits were used to build in 2019, creating an artificial acceleration of ADU activity resulting in a boom of ADU permits, Peterson explains on AccessoryDwellings.org, an online resource that posts case studies and updates on ADUs, which is still a rare form of housing.
Portland ADU permits issued from 1995-2020 as reported by Kol Peterson
Seven ADU permits were issued by the city in 1995 followed by small increases until 2011 when the city approved 93 permits. That number more than doubled to 206 by 2014 then quadrupled to 376 in 2015.
By 2016, there were almost six times as many permits issued 545 before the total fell to 511 in 2017 and 488 in 2018.
Last year, issued permits dropped to 315.
Permits for self-contained, smaller second homes are down but interest remains high.
So far, about 2,487 legal ADUs have been built in Portland, with another 652 under inspection.
A Portland Homeowner Report released recently by Pro.com found that 84 percent of Portland homeowners who participated in the survey believe ADUs make homes more appealing to potential buyers.
In Portland, the most popular ADUs are living spaces for elderly relatives, adult children and family friends, and as income-producing apartments to rent (36 percent each), according to the Pro.com survey.
More developers are including a flexible living space with a separate entrance a home within a home that grants privacy to a member of a multi-genational family or tenant who helps pay the mortgage.
The gen suite was first popularized by the Lennar Corp., which introduced its NextGen floor plan in 2011 after the recession and foreclosure crisis, when extended families moved back in together to save on housing costs.
The Regional Multiple Listing Service (RMLS) added a new search field that allows real estate agents, appraisers, buyers and sellers to quickly find Oregon residential properties with a second, separate dwelling.
Architects and designers are increasingly being hired to plan space- and energy-efficient guest homes and manufacturers are building prefabricated micro units to sit on foundations in backyards.
Homeowners add an apartment wing to an existing house, carve out space from underused rooms inside the residence or convert an unfinished basement or structurally sound garage into new living quarters.
Or they can erect a second story to the garage or standalone, stick-framed structure on the property.
These are not the DIY basement conversions of 20 years ago, but highly specialized projects, says Matt Williams, founder and CEO of Pro.com, which has a team of construction experts who work with architects, designers and engineers to build custom ADUs.
He says his clients are motivated to leverage their land to increase its value, use and enjoyment.
Population growth and thicker density also create a need and desire for separate living spaces and ADUs are one solution, Williams says, especially for people with a low mortgage or who like their location but need more space or want to rent out an apartment for added income.
Some owners plan to live in the small house and rent out the larger house to reduce expenses while staying in their neighborhood.
A rental dwelling allows them to fund their retirement and age in place, if the unit has been designed without steps and with universal features that aid people with limited mobility.
Williams company offers a free, detailed estimate and visualization services to let property owners see what an ADU project could look like inside and out. Clients can also order a customizable prefab structure to fit a space and Pro.com can construct it.
In Seattles Lake Washington area, Pro.com built a new, two-story ADU behind a house where there were two asphalt parking spaces. Construction costs were $140,000.
The Pro.com survey also found that 76 percent of respondents did not know Portlands laws governing ADUs.
Peterson is hoping to help. He has taught more than 2,000 people about the ADU development process in full-day workshops and has organized a half dozen Build Small, Live Large: Portlands Accessory Dwelling Unit Tours.
He says more municipalities on the West coast from Vancouver, BC, to every city in California allow homeowners to slice up urban lots to shelter family members or a caregiver, or draw in extra income.
Small, standalone new homes are expensive $210,000 on average for 800 square feet of living space, says Peterson but they can be models of efficiency with a compact footprint and high-performance insulation and heating and cooling systems.
ADUs are considered the least expensive type of housing that can be built in Portland if the land is already owned and if it qualifies for a waiver of the citys expensive system development fees, which can mount up to $22,500.
As of 2018, the waiver cannot be used by people who want to use the ADU as a short-term rental in the first 10 years.
Peterson says that an 800-square-foot second home rented longterm at $1,800 a month could bring in $21,600 a year and pay for itself in 10 years, then continue to generate income.
He encourages potential landlords to find out how their jurisdiction assesses ADUs for property tax evaluations. There will also be increases in utility costs, periodic vacancies and maintenance expenses.
Financial motivation is only part of the calculation, he says. There are also social benefits for the family.
An in-law suite could allow an aging parent to be close to family rather than spending what could be $72,000 a year for assisted living, says Peterson, who interviewed hundreds of sources for his book, Backdoor Revolution-The Definitive Guide to ADU Development.
Critics dont like ADUs added density and parking issues as well as the decrease in gardens, trees and creature habitats. Privacy can be intruded upon when single- or second-story windows look into the neighbors house or backyard.
Advocates say ADUs provide infill housing opportunities in neighborhoods with existing utilities and services like roads, sewers and schools near employment, retail centers and transit corridors.
A detached, accessory dwelling unit (ADU) in the Foster-Powell neighborhood that Propel Studio Architecture was designed as a modern Airbnb. Carlos Rafael Carlos Rafael
To learn more, Peterson and Propel Studio Architecture are organizing a free Design Week Portland event, ADU Open Doors, from 4 p.m.-8 p.m. on April 23-24, in which owners invite people to tour their ADU (register to showcase an ADU or attend at propelstudio.com/adu-open-doors-2020).
Peterson will also be holding a full-day ADU Academy workshop on April 24 ($359 or $319 by April 24, accessorydwellings.org/academy/)
--Janet Eastman | 503-294-4072
email@example.com | @janeteastman
Subscribe to Oregonian/OregonLive newsletters and podcasts for the latest news and top stories
In the comprehensive book "Backdoor Revolution: The Definitive Guide to ADU Development" ($25 print, $15 digital), author Kol Peterson offers design ideas he endorses after visiting well-planned small houses, talking with people who specialize in accessory dwelling units (ADUs), and reading books and websites about small-space planning, including books by Sarah Susanka.
Second, smaller homes sharing a city lot are the only housing form typically developed by homeowners, says Peterson, who has a master's degree in environmental planning from Harvard's Graduate School of Design.
Still, he cautions against DIY design for complex, ground-up construction.
Since these second dwellings infill a residential property, their design and placement need to be customized. Peterson says hes never seen two that look alike.
Legal, comfortable second homes, however, do have some features in common. Here are Petersons insights:
- McKinnon to test knee in workouts with AP - NFL.com - May 9th, 2020
- Behind the scenes with retail reporter Hayley Peterson - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 9th, 2020
- YouTuber Coyote Peterson willingly got stung by a Murder Hornet and it seemed awful - The Cincinnati Enquirer - May 9th, 2020
- Student of the Week: Caley Peterson - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - May 9th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: Is there too much 'fuss' over first responders? - The Bakersfield Californian - May 9th, 2020
- Sebring quarterback headed to powerhouse program: Theyre going to get my 100% - WKBN.com - May 9th, 2020
- Restaurants begin opening to dine-in guests once again - Daily Journal Online - May 9th, 2020
- Dickinson surprises teacher, staff of the year with parade - The Dickinson Press - May 9th, 2020
- Apart.y Helps You Connect With Loved Ones From Afar - 5280 | The Denver Magazine - May 9th, 2020
- Some Children Diagnosed With Coronavirus Also Stricken By Inflammatory Syndrome - News On 6 - May 9th, 2020
- The Book-Length Critique of Jordan Peterson Isn't Perfect, Either - Merion West - May 9th, 2020
- What Hating Jordan Peterson Tells You (about yourself) - The Times of Israel - May 9th, 2020
- Bee Peterson: We want to work. We will do it safely. Let us help figure things out so we can reopen - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - April 27th, 2020
- Redskins Adrian Peterson reacts to Trent Williams trade with disappointment - ClutchPoints - April 27th, 2020
- The one player Michael Jordan was scared of in college? Buzz Peterson details it - The Athletic - April 27th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson can play with both Thaddeus and Randy Moss in career - Redskins Wire - April 27th, 2020
- KC DoorDash driver starts petition for hazard pay; what other companies are doing - KSHB - April 27th, 2020
- Nursing homes sounded the alarm weeks ago, knowing COVID-19 could be devastating - WTSP.com - April 27th, 2020
- Three from Central Missouri to be inducted into MIAA Hall of Fame - The Daily Star-Journal - April 27th, 2020
- Michael Jordan's 'last dance' at Carolina, through the eyes of his teammates - Winston-Salem Journal - April 27th, 2020
- The faces of adversity: Bemidji seniors mourn the death of a final season that never was - Bemidji Pioneer - April 27th, 2020
- Michael Jordan feared a certain NFL legend on the basketball court, according to his North Carolina roommate - CBS Sports - April 27th, 2020
- The economic fallout of COVID-19: Baxter Regional fights to survive - ktlo.com - April 27th, 2020
- Fighting the virus with personal freedom in socialist Sweden - Chicago Daily Herald - April 27th, 2020
- Maryann Plunkett, Liza Jessie Peterson and More to Appear on 10PM WITH GALINSKY - Broadway World - April 24th, 2020
- Politics behind the pandemic - WAOW - April 24th, 2020
- 'The Last Kids on Earth': Max Brallier and Scott Peterson on Season 2 and Beyond - Collider.com - April 24th, 2020
- Iowa State starts re-stocking what could be a depleted tight end position with immediately eligible transfer - Des Moines Register - April 24th, 2020
- Regis Jesuit alum David Peterson remains on track to make big-league debut for Mets in the near future - The Denver Post - April 2nd, 2020
- Peterson: Sports were better back in the day | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - April 2nd, 2020
- Vernon J. Peterson of WEC Energy Group is Appointed Chair of the 2020 MEA Board of Directors - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson vs Jadeveon Clowney: Who was the better recruit? - 247Sports - April 2nd, 2020
- Sundays With Mike: the Peterson Guide to Social Distancing - KMAland - April 2nd, 2020
- Eufaulas Peterson named Super 12 Player of the Year - Dothan Eagle - April 2nd, 2020
- Man accused of making bomb threat arrested - pvtimes.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Peterson establishes testing point to limit spread of COVID-19 - csmng - April 2nd, 2020
- Check Out This Virtual Tour Of The Peterson Automotive Museum - TheThings - April 2nd, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - March 17th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: Cardinals 'all in' this year and 'not done' - Cards Wire - March 17th, 2020
- Inside the Treatment of Jordan Peterson - InsideHook - March 17th, 2020
- Ron Rivera wants Adrian Peterson to set the tone for his Redskins - Redskins Wire - March 17th, 2020
- City of Florence announces modified operations to prevent the spread of coronavirus - SCNow - March 17th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor - Peterson has this Republican's vote - Crookston Daily Times - March 17th, 2020
- The Critics of Social Justice, from Jonah Goldberg to Jordan Peterson - Merion West - March 17th, 2020
- Former MTSU baseball coach Steve Peterson was a great coach, better man - Daily News Journal - March 17th, 2020
- Even Da Crusher is prepared for coronavirus. A South Milwaukee resident took photos of the statue with face mask and toilet paper. - Milwaukee Journal... - March 17th, 2020
- Local psychologist offers tips on how to protect your mental health, talk to kids during coronavirus outbreak - ABC 57 News - March 17th, 2020
- Rebecca Peterson: The goal is to join the Olympics and keep climbing all the time - Tennis World USA - March 17th, 2020
- Peterson: Dear IHSAA, what are we doing here? Limit or cancel the boys' tournament - Des Moines Register - March 17th, 2020
- DoD issues travel restrictions: What this means for military in Colorado Springs - KKTV 11 News - March 17th, 2020
- REPORT: Tampa Bay Buccaneers to Announce Patriot QB Tom Brady Signing on Wednesday | - SpaceCoastDaily.com - March 17th, 2020
- Former MTSU baseball coach Steve Peterson through the years - The Daily News Journal - March 17th, 2020
- Jordan B Peterson - YouTube - February 16th, 2020
- Is Jordan Peterson the New Ayn Rand? - Merion West - February 16th, 2020
- Redskins' Adrian Peterson in arbitration with Morgan Stanley in latest money dustup - The Athletic - February 16th, 2020
- Coyote Peterson on 'Brave the Wild' - Mental Floss - February 16th, 2020
- Peterson takes over as new judge - Daily Astorian - February 16th, 2020
- A Controversial Study Claimed To Explain Why Women Dont Go Into Science And Tech. It Just Got A 1,113-Word Correction. - BuzzFeed News - February 16th, 2020
- Controversial Scholar Jordan Peterson Treated for Addiction in Russia - The Moscow Times - February 16th, 2020
- David Peterson eyes the impact of Pullman Porter Museum before 25th anniversary - Rolling Out - February 16th, 2020
- Meet the Petersons: the controversial family plagued by ill health - Telegraph.co.uk - February 16th, 2020
- How Matt Peterson, an addict since childhood, got sober and learned to help others - WCPO Cincinnati - February 16th, 2020
- A High and Humble Calling - Bethel University News - February 16th, 2020
- Talented transfer fits in nicely with Barons - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 16th, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Update on the health of Dr. Jordan B. Peterson - The Post Millennial - February 16th, 2020
- Peterson blasts big cuts to farm programs in Trump's budget - Echo Press - February 12th, 2020
- MonDak Ag Days and Trade Show to feature the Peterson Farm Brothers - Sidney Herald Leader - February 12th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Almost Died In Induced Coma During Withdrawal From Anxiety Drug, Daughter Says - The Daily Wire - February 12th, 2020
- Boys district basketball: Nicholas Mason, Jordan Peterson lead Medical Lake to district tourney win - Sports and Weather Right Now - February 12th, 2020
- No Charges Pending in Shooting Death of 24-Year-Old - County 17 - February 12th, 2020
- Barbara Kay: Jordan Peterson and the deadly overprescription of benzos - National Post - February 12th, 2020
- AGAR: The awful responses to Rush Limbaugh and Jordan Peterson - Toronto Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Lauralie Peterson wins third edition of 'Faces of St. Martin' - The Daily Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Oscar Peterson's Africa Suite has never been performed in its entirety until now - CBC.ca - February 12th, 2020
- Peterson wanting to put Alberta back in the PMO - EverythingGP - February 12th, 2020
- Dear Jordan Peterson Fans, Try to Actually Be More Like Him - Merion West - February 1st, 2020
- Lawrence returns to Trans Am with Peterson Racing - RACER - February 1st, 2020
- BOYS BASKETBALL REPORT | Austin Peterson has a night to remember in Windham - Record-Courier - February 1st, 2020
- As hemp production booms, Rep. Collin Peterson works to expand the CBD market - MinnPost - February 1st, 2020
- The Takeaway: San Antonio Pitmaster Brandon Peterson on Breaking From the Texas Barbecue Norm - San Antonio Current - February 1st, 2020