Gilbert voters willsee a mayoral runoff between political newcomer Matt Nielsen and former Town Council member Brigette Peterson, based on the latest unofficial results in Tuesday's primary election.
Nielsen pulledslightly ahead of Peterson in the results released on Friday, but neither approached the 50% mark needed to win outright in the primary.
The ballots left to count, fewer than 2,400 countywide, could not boost either candidate enough to avoid arunoff in the Nov. 3 general election.
It wasthe first-time mayoral run for both candidates, as Mayor Jenn Daniels did not seekreelection. Two other contenders, Lynne King Smith and write-in Josh Lipscomb, trailed further back.
Nielsen who ran on a limited-government platform overtook King Smith for the second place spot late onTuesday. By Friday's count, he had shot past Peterson as the top vote-getter.
Gilbert mayoral candidate Brigette Peterson checks results on primary election night.(Photo: Courtesy of Brigette Peterson)
A pleased Nielsen monitored results at home with his family on Tuesday night refreshing the page "every few seconds." As results solidified into Friday, Nielsen said he was excited.
"As afirst-timecandidate in a significant race,mayoralrace, it was exciting," he said.
Nielsen said his hefty votecount was the result of months of hard work and long conversations with Gilbert residents. Nielsen said he had to grow from "a virtual unknown in the community" to someone who could overtake Peterson, a well-known Gilbert council member whom he called the "favorite" to win.
Nielsen said he is ready for 90 days of hard workto carry the race through to a runoff win.
Peterson said she will spend the lead-up to Nov. 3building a "big coalitionthat shows why I'm the tested and proven choice for mayor."
She said she was pleased by the primary results."I think that it shows that people in Gilbert know that my time in leadership matters, and I'm looking forward to competing in November," she said.
Three town council seats were on Tuesday'sballot.
Four candidates competedfor two council seats with the usual four-year terms. Incumbent Scott Anderson and Kathy Tilque held sizable leads over Tyler Hudgins and BusObayomi.
At this point, Anderson and Tilque likelywill win outright.
Laurin Hendrix led over Bill Spence fora council seat that carries a two-year term, according to early ballot returns.If results hold, Hendrix willwin outright.
Thetown's new General Planwas approved by a large margin.
ELECTION RESULTS:See who won in Arizona's August primary election
King Smith, who handily outraised the other mayoral candidates, is the founder of a ticketing software company and co-working space in Gilbert.
She campaigned on providing strong leadership as Gilbert approaches build-out, supporting businesses and building a "Gilbert for all."
Peterson said King Smith did a "great job" in the election.
"I really admire when women step up to run for office. Her team worked hard, and they focused on business, and thats very important, especially in theseCOVID times that were in," Peterson said.
Nielsen, a charter school management executive, is a political newcomer, as is King Smith.
Nielsen is focused on returning government to a more limited role and campaigned on conservative values. He said he wants to maximize individual liberty and minimize government interference.
Peterson resigned from her Town Council seat, as the law requires, to run for mayor. She has said she would bring the necessary experience to the mayoral seat. Her priorities are job growth, public safety and responsible growth.She's an advocate for transportation and planning improvements.
Lipscomb, the write-in candidate, aimedto investin south Gilbert, diversifythe town, expandtwo-lane roads, protectfarmers and increasepublic safety, according to his campaign on Instagram.
Thecandidates in the race for two Town Council seats with full, four-yearterms were:
Tilque, who led the pack in initial results, said she was excited, but waiting eagerly for more of the vote count to roll in.
Tilquesaid she was confident going into theprimary, butdidnt know what to expectgiven how unique campaigning was during the pandemic.She expressed gratitude for her opponents behavior during the race.
In myparticular race, I felt that everybody was runningareally honestrace, talking about their credentials and thequalities that they bring, and there wasnt that negative politicking going on. I was really thankful for that.
Anderson, also in the lead, said he was pleased with the early results and hopedthe race wouldbe decided at the primary, without a November runoff.
The candidates vying for the council seat with a two-year term were:
Have election thoughts fromGilbert? Reach the reporter at Alison.Steinbach@arizonarepublic.com or at 602-444-4282. Follow her on Twitter @alisteinbach.
Support local journalism.Subscribe to azcentral.com today.
Read the original:
- Doherty Needs to Hear Where Kean and Peterson Stand on Ukraine - InsiderNJ - January 25th, 2022
- Controversial professor Jordan Peterson retires from tenured position at U of T - Varsity - January 25th, 2022
- Vikings' Patrick Peterson Linked to Patriots in Free Agency - Heavy.com - January 25th, 2022
- Peterson marks 1000th point in rout over Webster - Amery Free Press - January 25th, 2022
- Man Steals, Crashes Jeep With Two Young Girls Inside In Peterson Park - CBS Chicago - January 25th, 2022
- Deltek Government Contracting Experts Deniece Peterson and Kevin Plexico Named to the 2022 Wash100 List - WFMZ Allentown - January 25th, 2022
- UFC's Steven Peterson boycotts fighting in Texas, says 'commission is f*cked' - MMA Junkie - May 29th, 2021
- Keston Hiura returns to Brewers, Alec Bettinger optioned and Jace Peterson DFAd - Brew Crew Ball - May 29th, 2021
- Michigan State Baseball: Bailey Peterson wins Big Ten Player of the Week - The Only Colors - May 29th, 2021
- Charming D.B. Cooper suspect Sheridan Peterson dies at 94, spent years dedicated to political causes - OregonLive - January 31st, 2021
- Bird Droppings: Arizona Cardinals at the Pro Bowl, Patrick Peterson talks, Bruce Arians in the Super Bowl and - Revenge of the Birds - January 31st, 2021
- Peterson, Langford, Colson, Morgan, Zubcic named in BCL team of January - Eurohoops - January 31st, 2021
- T.I. and Tiny Deny Allegations of Drugging and Sexual Coercion - Vulture - January 31st, 2021
- Greg Peterson will succeed Bob Bjorklund as Bethel AD - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - January 31st, 2021
- 2021 IPPE: How has COVID-19 impacted the US broiler industry? - The Poultry Site - January 31st, 2021
- Peterson: Can pulsating brake lights reduce rear-end collisions? - Fleet Owner - December 17th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson shows off need for speed with impressive car collection - Arizona Sports - December 17th, 2020
- Sight unseen, Jessica Peterson finds everything she was looking for at UNK - krvn.com - December 17th, 2020
- Brewers Reportedly Sign Slugging 1B Dustin Peterson To Minors Deal - Reviewing the Brew - December 17th, 2020
- Early Signing Day: 2021 OLB Darryl Peterson signs with Wisconsin - Bucky's 5th Quarter - December 17th, 2020
- Jeremy Adams and Brandon Peterson on Flash #768 in March 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - December 17th, 2020
- Peterson announces funding to increase college broadband capacity - Record Herald - December 17th, 2020
- Peterson Health says it will know Wednesday when it will receive Pfizer vaccine - dailytimes.com - December 17th, 2020
- Lions' Week 15 Thursday Injury Report: Stafford, Ragnow, Golladay, Hand Out - Sports Illustrated - December 17th, 2020
- 28-year sentence recommended in fatal beating at Fargo apartment - INFORUM - December 17th, 2020
- Will the Defeat of Democrat Collin Peterson Be Good for the Climate? - Mother Jones - November 7th, 2020
- Letter: 'Whether or not Mr. Peterson was involved in drug crime, he should not have feared for his life, and he should not be dead, over something as... - November 7th, 2020
- Collin Peterson loses in CD-7, tight races in CD-1 and CD-2 - Bring Me The News - November 7th, 2020
- With roles reversed, Lee and Peterson face off again for NC Senate seat - Port City Daily - October 19th, 2020
- 198 thoughts on The Strange Fate of Jordan Peterson - Book and Film Globe - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson on how to defeat Cowboys without Dak Prescott: 'We have to force Andy Dalton to beat us' - CBS Sports - October 19th, 2020
- The Most Vulnerable Incumbent In The House Is A Democrat, But Republicans Are Defending More Competitive Seats - FiveThirtyEight - October 19th, 2020
- OU football: Joe Mixon and Adrian Peterson score, Baker Mayfield struggles, Sooners in the NFL week 6 - The Oklahoma Daily - October 19th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson passes Walter Payton on this list with latest rushing TD - 97.1 The Ticket - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: LB Isaiah Simmons 'not technically ready' for extensive role - Cards Wire - October 19th, 2020
- Letter | Peterson will serve Morrow County well as commissioner - East Oregonian - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson family still swinging at the LCC Foundation Golf Classic - Neuse News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson catches two TDs in 42-28 win over Campus - The Hutchinson News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson offers fresh perspective | Letters To The Editor - Mankato Free Press - October 10th, 2020
- President Trump & AG Barr Sued for Vindictive Prosecution Against Black Politician Robert Peterson & Fields Associates Announced today -... - October 10th, 2020
- Olson, Peterson inducted into York Area Ag Hall of Fame - York News-Times - October 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson and the Vikings Won an Ultra-Rare Tuesday Night Game in 2010 - Sportscasting - October 10th, 2020
- Things to Do in Miami: Karen Peterson and Dancers' Virtual 30th Anniversary - Miami New Times - October 10th, 2020
- Fantasy football fallout post-NFL roster cuts: Adrian Peterson, Antonio Gibson, Cam Akers and more | Fantasy Football News, Rankings and Projections -... - September 8th, 2020
- Former Vikings RB Adrian Peterson to sign with Lions - Vikings Wire - September 8th, 2020
- Will Adrian Peterson Be The Latest Addition To The Tom Brady Revolution In Tampa Bay? - Essentially Sports - September 8th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets shuffle starting rotation plans, including David Peterson to bullpen - Yahoo Sports - September 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson rushing to catch Emmitt Smith in record books - Richmond Free Press - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets pitcher Steven Matz is hearing the footsteps of David Peterson - Rising Apple - September 2nd, 2020
- Recent Graduate Receives Fulbright Grant to Teach in Spain - ISU Bengal Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Letter: Peterson | Letters To The Editor | record-eagle.com - Traverse City Record Eagle - September 2nd, 2020
- Peterson family named conservationists of the year in Rice County, Minn. - AberdeenNews.com - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson Believes He Still Has a Lot to Prove - NBC4 Washington - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson still out to prove something - WUSA9.com - August 31st, 2020
- Meet the MBA Class of 2022: Caroline Peterson, University of Texas (McCombs) - Poets&Quants - August 31st, 2020
- Bay Area air-quality forecast for the week ahead - SF Gate - August 31st, 2020
- What the hail? P-S GAR JA can offer help - csmng - August 31st, 2020
- Female Truckers to Honor Women's Suffrage on Trip - Transport Topics - August 31st, 2020
- Will County coroner announces retirement | The Herald-News - The Herald-News - August 31st, 2020
- Breaking down the Washington backfield for fantasy football: Can Adrian Peterson hold off Antonio Gibson and Bryce Love? | Fantasy Football News,... - August 10th, 2020
- Metros Lynn Peterson offers to reduce payroll tax rate in transportation package if business group remains - OregonLive - August 10th, 2020
- High-throughput testing system latest addition to combat COVID-19 at LRMC - United States Army - August 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson has goals: Breaking Emmitt Smiths rushing record, and a championship - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Mobile COVID testing to soon hit the road in central Pa., will also deliver regular flu tests and shots - PennLive - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson: NCAA could be another casualty | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Andrew Peterson farm donations grind to a halt; funding in jeopardy - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Ducks in the show: Week Two - 247Sports - August 10th, 2020
- Rare tuna catch from shore attracts pack of giant roosters - For The Win - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson working to make sure HEROES Act ag provisions make it in final bill - brownfieldagnews.com - August 10th, 2020
- Controversial professor Jordan Peterson suffering with coronavirus and got worse after taking treatment dru - The Sun - August 10th, 2020
- David Peterson Continues Solid Stretch in Win Over Marlins - metsmerizedonline.com - August 10th, 2020
- Minnesota pastor appears on Penn and Teller's TV show | INFORUM - INFORUM - August 10th, 2020
- Professor Jordan Peterson reported to have COVID - The Bay Observer - Providing a Fresh Perspective for Hamilton and Burlington - August 10th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: Can trees, newspapers and Trump get any respect? - The Bakersfield Californian - August 10th, 2020
- Mets' Peterson getting more comfortable with every start - Newsday - August 9th, 2020
- 'Burnt orange runs through my veins': Westlake's Blake Peterson to play baseball at Texas - Hookem.com - August 9th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson reflects on favorite run of career back in 2009 - Vikings Wire - August 9th, 2020
- Bus driver shortages occurring locally due to pandemic - Picayune Item - Picayune Item - August 9th, 2020
- Peterson reports just five hospitalized from Kerr County with COVID-19 - dailytimes.com - August 8th, 2020