With the Mets set to startRHP Michael Wacha (1-2, 7.41 ERA) Wednesday at 4:05 p.m. against the Orioles at Camden Yards in Baltimore, LHP David Peterson (3-1, 3.51 ERA) is available out of the bullpen.
Manager Luis Rojas revealed the move while laying out the Mets' starting pitchers for the next few games at Citi Fieldagainst the Yankees (Thursday) and Philadelphia Phillies (Friday through Monday).
"Tomorrow we have (RHP)Robert Gsellman starting against the Yankees at Citi Field and then Friday we will have (RHP)Rick Porcello," Rojas said.
Peterson, who turns 25 Thursday, was the Mets'No. 20 overall pick in the 2014 MLB Draft. Through five starts in 2020, Peterson struck out 20 and walked 11 over 25.2 IP.
"It's a today thing,"Rojas said of Peterson's bullpen move. "Moving forward, we'll definitely address where he's at -- if he's starting a particular game the next time around -- but as of today, in this game, he's ready to come out of the 'pen."
Gsellman (0-0, 5.19 ERA) and Porcello (1-4, 6.00 ERA) stay on track for the next two games.Rojas explained why, including a plan forRHPsSeth Lugo (1-2, 2.12 ERA) and Jacob deGrom (2-1, 1.76 ERA) as the Mets move forward.
"Porcello's going to be on the scheduled day, Friday, and then for Saturday and Sunday --we'll let you guys know where we are with when Seth and Jake's day is going to be, as far as those two days -- but that's Porcello's day,"Rojas said. "We've done our best to try to keep Porcello on his fifth day. When we had the stoppage, we didn't play for those five days, we're coming back from Miami that Friday, he was going to pitch. That got a little disrupted, to that Tuesday, but we've always kept Porchy on his fifth day and his fifth day is Friday. So that's what went behind it."
"That's the way we work with him," Rojas added ofPorcello. "That's where he operates and he clicks, from one start to another, and that's why we kept him on the five days. So for Porchy's routine and what he does in between starts and the five-day rotation, that's what we try to stay consistent with him, as far as that. So after that, then after Friday, we'll share what our plan is our as we get close to it. We can probably know tomorrow and then let you guys know what we have for Saturday and Sunday."
Rojas pointed to Peterson's "length" as a main reason why the Mets moved him.
"Well, right now, we have six guys that you can call they're stretched out to a point with Gsellman andLugo being stretched out to a point,"Rojas said. "And Peterson and Wacha threw on the same day last Friday. So there's nothing medical or anything that's going on right now with his shoulder. So one of the things that we're doing with Peterson there is just because he's doing to give us the length that we need. Length should protect our bullpen on a day like this.
"And then, at the same time, Peterson's a guy that can throw the ball really well for us. So he's going to be out there, he's going to competing to get outs and put us in a position for us to also win the game. So there's a lot that we can use and we also have Gsellman stretched out, he can start the game tomorrow and then we've got Porcello for us to follow as well. So have Peterson available there in the bullpen to do that, be the guy in that takes that role for today, Ithink it's huge for us."
Depending on a specific usage,Peterson's plan could change by the time next week rolls around.
"It depends on the specific usage," Rojas said. "So if he goes today and he gives us the entire length that he has, and the amount of days that he needs in between to be ready, his next outing -- whether he's starting or whether he's going to be the length guy again -- that will dictate the pitch count to be up now. So just the availability to have him as the length, I think he's a luxury for us in this situation that we've been in the last week."
"He can be more than (a 40- or 50-pitch guy)," Rojas added. "He's stretched out to, like, 90 pitches right now. So it depends on what happens in the game, what's going on in the game. We'll use some of that length to put us in a position to win the game."
Wacha's leash is not necessarily shorter, but Peterson gives the Mets a long-relief option.
"The game will speak to us, how he's going, and then we'll determine what the move at the time we can make," Rojas said. "So he doesn't tell us strategically we're going to have a shorter leash or anything. Definitely want Wacha to go and throw his pitch limit out there and shut them down if he can.
"So there's not strategy to have a shortened outing and put in Peterson, to have both of them throw. So both -- Wacha' starting, Peterson is available, let's see how the game goes and then if you use those two guys and that's it, and we shut them down while playing those two, it's definitely something that can happen. But it's also -- our bullpen (is) there. If Wacha goes six or something, we've got to go seven, eight, nine (each), with some of the guys that we have as well."
Regardless of role, Peterson is ready to go.
"None -- like he is, like he's always,"Rojas said. "His first outing, his MLB debut -- same guy. He's just like, 'I'm ready.' It's just, 'Give me the ball whenever. I'm ready.' So he's in that demeanor. He wants to compete. He wants to get out there. So whenever, whatever way we need him -- he's ready."
See the original post:
- Peterson: Can pulsating brake lights reduce rear-end collisions? - Fleet Owner - December 17th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson shows off need for speed with impressive car collection - Arizona Sports - December 17th, 2020
- Sight unseen, Jessica Peterson finds everything she was looking for at UNK - krvn.com - December 17th, 2020
- Brewers Reportedly Sign Slugging 1B Dustin Peterson To Minors Deal - Reviewing the Brew - December 17th, 2020
- Early Signing Day: 2021 OLB Darryl Peterson signs with Wisconsin - Bucky's 5th Quarter - December 17th, 2020
- Jeremy Adams and Brandon Peterson on Flash #768 in March 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - December 17th, 2020
- Peterson announces funding to increase college broadband capacity - Record Herald - December 17th, 2020
- Peterson Health says it will know Wednesday when it will receive Pfizer vaccine - dailytimes.com - December 17th, 2020
- Lions' Week 15 Thursday Injury Report: Stafford, Ragnow, Golladay, Hand Out - Sports Illustrated - December 17th, 2020
- 28-year sentence recommended in fatal beating at Fargo apartment - INFORUM - December 17th, 2020
- Will the Defeat of Democrat Collin Peterson Be Good for the Climate? - Mother Jones - November 7th, 2020
- Letter: 'Whether or not Mr. Peterson was involved in drug crime, he should not have feared for his life, and he should not be dead, over something as... - November 7th, 2020
- Collin Peterson loses in CD-7, tight races in CD-1 and CD-2 - Bring Me The News - November 7th, 2020
- With roles reversed, Lee and Peterson face off again for NC Senate seat - Port City Daily - October 19th, 2020
- 198 thoughts on The Strange Fate of Jordan Peterson - Book and Film Globe - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson on how to defeat Cowboys without Dak Prescott: 'We have to force Andy Dalton to beat us' - CBS Sports - October 19th, 2020
- The Most Vulnerable Incumbent In The House Is A Democrat, But Republicans Are Defending More Competitive Seats - FiveThirtyEight - October 19th, 2020
- OU football: Joe Mixon and Adrian Peterson score, Baker Mayfield struggles, Sooners in the NFL week 6 - The Oklahoma Daily - October 19th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson passes Walter Payton on this list with latest rushing TD - 97.1 The Ticket - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: LB Isaiah Simmons 'not technically ready' for extensive role - Cards Wire - October 19th, 2020
- Letter | Peterson will serve Morrow County well as commissioner - East Oregonian - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson family still swinging at the LCC Foundation Golf Classic - Neuse News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson catches two TDs in 42-28 win over Campus - The Hutchinson News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson offers fresh perspective | Letters To The Editor - Mankato Free Press - October 10th, 2020
- President Trump & AG Barr Sued for Vindictive Prosecution Against Black Politician Robert Peterson & Fields Associates Announced today -... - October 10th, 2020
- Olson, Peterson inducted into York Area Ag Hall of Fame - York News-Times - October 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson and the Vikings Won an Ultra-Rare Tuesday Night Game in 2010 - Sportscasting - October 10th, 2020
- Things to Do in Miami: Karen Peterson and Dancers' Virtual 30th Anniversary - Miami New Times - October 10th, 2020
- Fantasy football fallout post-NFL roster cuts: Adrian Peterson, Antonio Gibson, Cam Akers and more | Fantasy Football News, Rankings and Projections -... - September 8th, 2020
- Former Vikings RB Adrian Peterson to sign with Lions - Vikings Wire - September 8th, 2020
- Will Adrian Peterson Be The Latest Addition To The Tom Brady Revolution In Tampa Bay? - Essentially Sports - September 8th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - September 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson rushing to catch Emmitt Smith in record books - Richmond Free Press - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets pitcher Steven Matz is hearing the footsteps of David Peterson - Rising Apple - September 2nd, 2020
- Recent Graduate Receives Fulbright Grant to Teach in Spain - ISU Bengal Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Letter: Peterson | Letters To The Editor | record-eagle.com - Traverse City Record Eagle - September 2nd, 2020
- Peterson family named conservationists of the year in Rice County, Minn. - AberdeenNews.com - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson Believes He Still Has a Lot to Prove - NBC4 Washington - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson still out to prove something - WUSA9.com - August 31st, 2020
- Meet the MBA Class of 2022: Caroline Peterson, University of Texas (McCombs) - Poets&Quants - August 31st, 2020
- Bay Area air-quality forecast for the week ahead - SF Gate - August 31st, 2020
- What the hail? P-S GAR JA can offer help - csmng - August 31st, 2020
- Female Truckers to Honor Women's Suffrage on Trip - Transport Topics - August 31st, 2020
- Will County coroner announces retirement | The Herald-News - The Herald-News - August 31st, 2020
- Breaking down the Washington backfield for fantasy football: Can Adrian Peterson hold off Antonio Gibson and Bryce Love? | Fantasy Football News,... - August 10th, 2020
- Nielsen pulls ahead of Peterson in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 10th, 2020
- Metros Lynn Peterson offers to reduce payroll tax rate in transportation package if business group remains - OregonLive - August 10th, 2020
- High-throughput testing system latest addition to combat COVID-19 at LRMC - United States Army - August 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson has goals: Breaking Emmitt Smiths rushing record, and a championship - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Mobile COVID testing to soon hit the road in central Pa., will also deliver regular flu tests and shots - PennLive - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson: NCAA could be another casualty | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Andrew Peterson farm donations grind to a halt; funding in jeopardy - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Ducks in the show: Week Two - 247Sports - August 10th, 2020
- Rare tuna catch from shore attracts pack of giant roosters - For The Win - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson working to make sure HEROES Act ag provisions make it in final bill - brownfieldagnews.com - August 10th, 2020
- Controversial professor Jordan Peterson suffering with coronavirus and got worse after taking treatment dru - The Sun - August 10th, 2020
- David Peterson Continues Solid Stretch in Win Over Marlins - metsmerizedonline.com - August 10th, 2020
- Minnesota pastor appears on Penn and Teller's TV show | INFORUM - INFORUM - August 10th, 2020
- Professor Jordan Peterson reported to have COVID - The Bay Observer - Providing a Fresh Perspective for Hamilton and Burlington - August 10th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: Can trees, newspapers and Trump get any respect? - The Bakersfield Californian - August 10th, 2020
- Mets' Peterson getting more comfortable with every start - Newsday - August 9th, 2020
- 'Burnt orange runs through my veins': Westlake's Blake Peterson to play baseball at Texas - Hookem.com - August 9th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson reflects on favorite run of career back in 2009 - Vikings Wire - August 9th, 2020
- Bus driver shortages occurring locally due to pandemic - Picayune Item - Picayune Item - August 9th, 2020
- Peterson reports just five hospitalized from Kerr County with COVID-19 - dailytimes.com - August 8th, 2020
- Lake View City Officials Pleased To Announce New Lagoon Is Now Effectively Treating Wastewater - 1380 KCIM - August 8th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 6th, 2020
- Nebraska AG Peterson Joins Bipartisan Coalition Urging Federal Government Action - STL.News - August 6th, 2020
- Lady Panthers volleyball camp integrates young players into the program - Liberty Hill Independent - August 6th, 2020
- 'Siesta Key': Fans Think Kelsey Owens Wanted to Dump Garrett Miller and Get Back With Jake Peterson All Along - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 6th, 2020
- Investigation into Cottonwood Heights Police regarding 'use of force,' policy reform discussions underway - fox13now.com - August 6th, 2020
- More travelers are flying in and out of Yakima, leading Alaska Airlines to add a 2nd daily flight - Yakima Herald-Republic - August 6th, 2020
- PALERMO. Camila Giorgi surprises Peterson in the 1st round. HIGHLIGHTS - Tennis Tonic - August 6th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race. Here's a closer look at mayoral and council results - AZCentral - August 5th, 2020
- Peterson concerned about COVID-19, 'but work is work' - NBC Sports Washington - August 5th, 2020
- Angler Shows the Benefits of Fishing With a 'Tiny Child Rig' and What it Looks Like Underwater - Wide Open Country - August 5th, 2020
- Bush shocks Clay in congressional primary: 'We the people have answers' - Cherokee Tribune Ledger News - August 5th, 2020
- Robin Peterson Reveals He Was Once Called The 'K-Word' By A Former South African Cricketer - Cricket Addictor - August 4th, 2020
- Peterson: Who wants to clean up this mess? - Vail Daily News - August 4th, 2020
- FARMERS FROM GEORGIA AND ALABAMA MEET WITH FARMERS IN THE CROOKSTON AREA - kroxam.com - August 4th, 2020