Im an optimizer; I strive to make the most of each day.
Hometown: Escondido, CA
Fun Fact About Yourself: I taught beginning horseback riding lessons for graduates and undergraduates at Stanford.
Undergraduate School and Major: Stanford University, B.A. in Economics, Minor in Psychology
Most Recent Employer and Job Title: Pared, Chief of Staff to the CEO
Aside from your classmates and location, what was the key part of the schools MBA programming that led you to choose this business school and why was it so important to you? Austin is a special city that sits at the intersection of many different industries and attracts companies of all sizes. McCombs does a phenomenal job connecting students with local organizations through fellowship programs and MBA+ projects. For me, the ability to interact directly with business leaders and gain hands-on experience throughout the academic year offered a huge advantage in building a robust network and skill set. Im also thrilled to be among the first classes to participate in McCombs Leading for Impact, a two-year leadership development course that culminates in a capstone project supporting local non-profits. I believe the coaching we gain through that program will pay dividends for decades to come as we embark to lead teams and organizations around the world.
What club or activity excites you most at this school? Im incredibly excited about Operations Fellows. Though Im coming from an operational background, Im eager to explore the world of operations across different industries. Through intimate speaker series and site visits, the fellowship program offers glimpses into the lives of business leaders and their organizations. Im also excited to expand my expertise through micro-consulting projects and to explore real business challenges for organizations around the country, from expanding production capacity for a local CPG company to increasing fulfillment efficiency for one of the worlds largest e-commerce companies.
Describe your biggest accomplishment in your career so far: I led the development and national rollout of Instacarts first extreme weather automation and procedures that saved the company an average of $3 million in annual operational costs.
Four months into my role as logistics team lead, Hurricane Irma pummeled the East Coast. My job was to orchestrate our internal teams through the storm, minimizing service downtime while maintaining on-time delivery metrics, and keeping shoppers safe. Instacart had recently expanded to cover 60% of the US, but our backend systems were not scaled to conduct bulk changes. As a result, my team and I had to reroute and update orders manually for each city.
As soon as the dust settled, I mobilized a task force of engineers, customer care experts, and field operations leaders to develop a standard operating procedure that could be deployed quickly and effectively in the event of a major weather event or other natural disasters. I then managed the rollout of the system nationwide.
What led you to pursue an MBA at this point in your career? Ive always had an MBA on my horizon. As an ambitious young college graduate working in tech, I gained tremendous responsibility incredibly early in my career. I quickly realized that the most effective leaders didnt just command exceptional business acumen, but also commanded a room and inspired teams to execute on a vision.
My most recent role as Chief of Staff to the CEO helped me develop an appreciation for the complexity of managing a growing organization on the executive level. With an eye toward an eventual role as COO of a global organization, Im excited to finally pursue my MBA, with a focus on corporate innovation, operations strategy, and building world-class teams.
What other MBA programs did you apply to? I also applied to Stanford GSB and UCLA Anderson.
What was the most challenging question you were asked during the admissions process? Stanfords What matters most to you and why? is excruciating, but so important. That question forced me to examine so many aspects of my life the joy, the grief, and all the unique experiences that shaped who I am today. I believe my answer will and should evolve over the course of my lifetime, but its a humbling question that I will continue to revisit.
How did you determine your fit at various schools? I attended multiple information sessions and coffee chats all throughout the application process. Each session inevitably revealed something unique about the program experience. I paid close attention to the values and key experiences admissions teams highlighted throughout their presentations: Did those values resonate with my own? Did those program highlights align with what I aspired to achieve through my MBA?
Ultimately, the admit weekends and class visits were the most critical elements of my decision-making process. There is no substitute for walking the halls with your potential future classmates and experiencing life around campus. In my class visit at McCombs, students offered me their textbooks so I could follow along as they engaged in a lively discussion about corporate restructuring, joking with the professor throughout. That was precisely the environment I was looking for in an MBA program. McCombs is a small, yet dynamic, group of approximately 260 full-time students each year. Coming to McCombs, I knew I would not only have tremendous support, but Id have a great time along the way.
What have you been doing to prepare yourself for business school? I engaged a career coach this past spring to help me hone my career goals. I knew recruiting season would hit hard and fast, so I wanted to arrive laser-focused on the roles and activities I wanted to pursue. My coach helped me reflect on my prior experience, identify my strengths, define my values, and roadmap the next few chapters of my professional (and personal) life. These exercises have already proven invaluable as I prep for interviews and fill out my schedule with extracurriculars. I also took about two months off over the summer to recharge. I used that free time to volunteer, settle into my new home in Austin, and start networking before the wave of core classes hit.
What was your defining moment and how did it prepare you for business school? After two years as Area Manager for Instacart in Austin, I sat down with my shift lead for her last performance review before I moved to San Francisco and assumed the role as Team Lead for Instacarts Logistics Team. We reflected on the monstrous growth launching new delivery areas all across Texas and increasing weekly delivery volume tenfold from the time we first met in 2015. A former waitress, she started as a contracted shopper, but quickly earned the role of Shift Lead. She was my right-hand in countless initiatives to increase operational efficiency and support the ever-expanding fleet of personal shoppers. With a tearful goodbye, she said, Thank you for everything. To me, that moment serves a constant reminder that great leadership is not just about metrics, its about people. The success of the teams and organizations I lead hold the potential to transform lives. McCombs, with a human-centered and future-focused mentality, is a wonderful place to continue growing into the leader I strive to be.
What is your favorite company and what could business students learn from them? Whole Foods is one of my favorite companies to watch. I come from a family that loves food, so Ive always enjoyed trips to the grocery store. Whole Foods consistently delivers an exceptional shopping experience. From a business perspective, Whole Foods is a wonderful study in branding. Each store skillfully balances the corporate brand image with local names and imagery to support the surrounding community. Through tremendous success over the past 40-some years, they have never relinquished their commitment to quality. They hold suppliers to the highest quality standards in the industry and lead the way toward sustainability in the grocery space, which has contributed to an extremely loyal following (myself included).
DONT MISS: Meet The MBA Class Of 2022: The COVID Cohorts
Go here to see the original:
- This Deepfake AI Singing Dolly Parton's "Jolene" Is Worryingly Good - November 4th, 2022
- Greta Thunberg Says UN Climate Conference Is a Scam and She's Not Attending - November 4th, 2022
- Manslaughter Case Has a Strange Twist: Tesla That Killed Couple Was on Autopilot - November 4th, 2022
- There's Something Strange About How These Stars Are Moving, Scientists Say - November 4th, 2022
- Twitter Working on Plan to Charge Users to Watch Videos - November 4th, 2022
- Elon Musk Meeting With Advertisers, Begging Them Not to Leave Twitter - November 4th, 2022
- China Plans to Send Monkeys to Space Station to Have Sex With Each Other - November 4th, 2022
- AOC Says Her Twitter Account Broke After She Made Fun of Elon Musk - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Use Actual Lunar Soil Sample to Create Rocket Fuel - November 4th, 2022
- That "Research" About How Smartphones Are Causing Deformed Human Bodies Is SEO Spam, You Idiots - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Found a Way to Control How High Mice Got on Cocaine - November 4th, 2022
- Jeff Bezos' Housekeeper Says She Had to Climb Out the Window to Use the Bathroom - November 4th, 2022
- Cats May Be Tampering With Crime Scenes, Scientists Say - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Spot "Stripped, Pulsating Core" of Star Caused By Horrific Accident - November 4th, 2022
- Huge Drone Swarm to Form Giant Advertisement Over NYC Skyline - November 4th, 2022
- Chinese Spaceplane Releases Mystery Object Into Orbit - November 4th, 2022
- Hackers Just Took Down One of the World's Most Advanced Telescopes - November 4th, 2022
- NASA Sets Launch Date for Mission to $10 Quintillion Asteroid - November 4th, 2022
- US Gov to Crack Down on "Bossware" That Spies On Employees' Computers - November 4th, 2022
- Seeking help from readers in Canada, the UK, and beyond - Patheos - September 8th, 2022
- Fillmore Central football team prepares for Rushford-Peterson this week - KIMT 3 - September 8th, 2022
- Patrick Peterson is enjoying the ride -- and the grind - Sports Illustrated - September 8th, 2022
- Spokane mother who filmed herself sexually assaulting her 3-year-old daughter gets 20 years in prison - The Spokesman Review - September 8th, 2022
- Mom remembers her daughters, 10 years after their brutal deaths - Star Tribune - July 8th, 2022
- Chiefs Otis Taylor, Marty Schottenheimer, Carl Peterson and Lloyd Wells nominated to Hall of Fame - Arrowhead Pride - July 8th, 2022
- Brian Robinson Jr. reminds RB coach of Alfred Morris and Adrian Peterson - NBC Sports - July 8th, 2022
- Doherty Needs to Hear Where Kean and Peterson Stand on Ukraine - InsiderNJ - January 25th, 2022
- Controversial professor Jordan Peterson retires from tenured position at U of T - Varsity - January 25th, 2022
- Vikings' Patrick Peterson Linked to Patriots in Free Agency - Heavy.com - January 25th, 2022
- Peterson marks 1000th point in rout over Webster - Amery Free Press - January 25th, 2022
- Man Steals, Crashes Jeep With Two Young Girls Inside In Peterson Park - CBS Chicago - January 25th, 2022
- Deltek Government Contracting Experts Deniece Peterson and Kevin Plexico Named to the 2022 Wash100 List - WFMZ Allentown - January 25th, 2022
- UFC's Steven Peterson boycotts fighting in Texas, says 'commission is f*cked' - MMA Junkie - May 29th, 2021
- Keston Hiura returns to Brewers, Alec Bettinger optioned and Jace Peterson DFAd - Brew Crew Ball - May 29th, 2021
- Michigan State Baseball: Bailey Peterson wins Big Ten Player of the Week - The Only Colors - May 29th, 2021
- Charming D.B. Cooper suspect Sheridan Peterson dies at 94, spent years dedicated to political causes - OregonLive - January 31st, 2021
- Bird Droppings: Arizona Cardinals at the Pro Bowl, Patrick Peterson talks, Bruce Arians in the Super Bowl and - Revenge of the Birds - January 31st, 2021
- Peterson, Langford, Colson, Morgan, Zubcic named in BCL team of January - Eurohoops - January 31st, 2021
- T.I. and Tiny Deny Allegations of Drugging and Sexual Coercion - Vulture - January 31st, 2021
- Greg Peterson will succeed Bob Bjorklund as Bethel AD - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - January 31st, 2021
- 2021 IPPE: How has COVID-19 impacted the US broiler industry? - The Poultry Site - January 31st, 2021
- Peterson: Can pulsating brake lights reduce rear-end collisions? - Fleet Owner - December 17th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson shows off need for speed with impressive car collection - Arizona Sports - December 17th, 2020
- Sight unseen, Jessica Peterson finds everything she was looking for at UNK - krvn.com - December 17th, 2020
- Brewers Reportedly Sign Slugging 1B Dustin Peterson To Minors Deal - Reviewing the Brew - December 17th, 2020
- Early Signing Day: 2021 OLB Darryl Peterson signs with Wisconsin - Bucky's 5th Quarter - December 17th, 2020
- Jeremy Adams and Brandon Peterson on Flash #768 in March 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - December 17th, 2020
- Peterson announces funding to increase college broadband capacity - Record Herald - December 17th, 2020
- Peterson Health says it will know Wednesday when it will receive Pfizer vaccine - dailytimes.com - December 17th, 2020
- Lions' Week 15 Thursday Injury Report: Stafford, Ragnow, Golladay, Hand Out - Sports Illustrated - December 17th, 2020
- 28-year sentence recommended in fatal beating at Fargo apartment - INFORUM - December 17th, 2020
- Will the Defeat of Democrat Collin Peterson Be Good for the Climate? - Mother Jones - November 7th, 2020
- Letter: 'Whether or not Mr. Peterson was involved in drug crime, he should not have feared for his life, and he should not be dead, over something as... - November 7th, 2020
- Collin Peterson loses in CD-7, tight races in CD-1 and CD-2 - Bring Me The News - November 7th, 2020
- With roles reversed, Lee and Peterson face off again for NC Senate seat - Port City Daily - October 19th, 2020
- 198 thoughts on The Strange Fate of Jordan Peterson - Book and Film Globe - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson on how to defeat Cowboys without Dak Prescott: 'We have to force Andy Dalton to beat us' - CBS Sports - October 19th, 2020
- The Most Vulnerable Incumbent In The House Is A Democrat, But Republicans Are Defending More Competitive Seats - FiveThirtyEight - October 19th, 2020
- OU football: Joe Mixon and Adrian Peterson score, Baker Mayfield struggles, Sooners in the NFL week 6 - The Oklahoma Daily - October 19th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson passes Walter Payton on this list with latest rushing TD - 97.1 The Ticket - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: LB Isaiah Simmons 'not technically ready' for extensive role - Cards Wire - October 19th, 2020
- Letter | Peterson will serve Morrow County well as commissioner - East Oregonian - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson family still swinging at the LCC Foundation Golf Classic - Neuse News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson catches two TDs in 42-28 win over Campus - The Hutchinson News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson offers fresh perspective | Letters To The Editor - Mankato Free Press - October 10th, 2020
- President Trump & AG Barr Sued for Vindictive Prosecution Against Black Politician Robert Peterson & Fields Associates Announced today -... - October 10th, 2020
- Olson, Peterson inducted into York Area Ag Hall of Fame - York News-Times - October 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson and the Vikings Won an Ultra-Rare Tuesday Night Game in 2010 - Sportscasting - October 10th, 2020
- Things to Do in Miami: Karen Peterson and Dancers' Virtual 30th Anniversary - Miami New Times - October 10th, 2020
- Fantasy football fallout post-NFL roster cuts: Adrian Peterson, Antonio Gibson, Cam Akers and more | Fantasy Football News, Rankings and Projections -... - September 8th, 2020
- Former Vikings RB Adrian Peterson to sign with Lions - Vikings Wire - September 8th, 2020
- Will Adrian Peterson Be The Latest Addition To The Tom Brady Revolution In Tampa Bay? - Essentially Sports - September 8th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets shuffle starting rotation plans, including David Peterson to bullpen - Yahoo Sports - September 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson rushing to catch Emmitt Smith in record books - Richmond Free Press - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets pitcher Steven Matz is hearing the footsteps of David Peterson - Rising Apple - September 2nd, 2020
- Recent Graduate Receives Fulbright Grant to Teach in Spain - ISU Bengal Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Letter: Peterson | Letters To The Editor | record-eagle.com - Traverse City Record Eagle - September 2nd, 2020
- Peterson family named conservationists of the year in Rice County, Minn. - AberdeenNews.com - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson Believes He Still Has a Lot to Prove - NBC4 Washington - August 31st, 2020