Over the past year and a half, Peterson has gained notoriety through his open hostility toward trans rights and feminism as well as his characterization of universities as tools for indoctrinating students into what he terms neo-Marxism.
January 10, 2020 by Evidence Network Leave a Comment
By Jennifer Garrison
Like it or not, University of Toronto professor Jordan Peterson is a cultural sensation. Over the past year and a half, Peterson has gained notoriety through his open hostility toward trans rights and feminism as well as his characterization of universities as tools for indoctrinating students into what he terms neo-Marxism.
He has throngs of online followers. A column in the New York Times noted hes been called the most influential public intellectual in the Western world, and academics regularly write columns seeking to discredit him.
I am an academic, but this is not one of those columns. Instead, I think we need to question our incessant need to talk about Peterson in the first place. Our obsession with Peterson reveals a larger cultural problem that threatens to cripple our universities: our adoration of the individual masculine genius.
This cult of genius comes at the expense of a vibrant intellectual life and thriving democracies in North America.
Petersons success is built on the fact that he was deemed to be a part of that special and highly nebulous category of genius a term (much like expert) that is almost exclusively reserved for men. In a recent interview, Petersons former colleague explains that Peterson was hired and promoted precisely on these grounds: he sometimes appeared to be in the thrall of his ideas and would not, or could not, constrain himself and self-monitor what he was saying. That was OK. He was eccentric.
In universities, we often take eccentric along with bad behaviour as a mark of genius: we ignore complaints about intolerance or sexual harassment because geniuses are above the rules. We really like geniuses. We hire and promote them and students want to study under them.
One problem with genius is that it is something one is rather than something one does. The concept implies that academic work is not, in fact, a form of work. When we only care if a university has its fair share of geniuses, we devalue and label as more feminine other forms of academic labour from teaching to administration to less trendy research.
In fact, the majority of teaching in North American universities is now done by contract faculty (the majority of whom tend to be women): PhD-holding subject experts who are paid per-course. If they are lucky enough to be teaching a full course load every semester, they might earn around $28,000 for working in excess of 40 hours a week.
Permanent faculty, on the other hand, are often overloaded with administrative work, such as curriculum planning and advising students. A recent study has shown that this work, too, falls largely to female faculty members keeping them from engaging in innovative teaching and ground-breaking research.
This emphasis on genius also threatens to destroy entire fields of study, particularly the softer disciplines in the Humanities (e.g., Art, English, History, etc.) since genius is typically reserved primarily for the more male-dominated STEM fields. Politicians, administrators, many members of the public, and Jordan Peterson himself regularly deride the Humanities as frivolous. (Ever heard a joke about an English major being a barista-in-training?)
On the contrary, the Humanities are vitally important in an increasingly polarized society because they help us to understand, analyze, and critique differences in human communication and culture. And (for the practical-minded) Humanities majors do get satisfying jobs. Their skills are in demand in the corporate world and they may actually have more career success than Business majors.
We need to reject this cult of the masculine genius. If we want a thriving intellectual culture, we need to start valuing all academic labor and forms of inquiry. Its not just better for universities themselves; its better for building a more tolerant and democratic society.
In order to shift this culture, we need to demand that politicians and administrators value and economically support a diversity of voices inside universities.
If we want a strong democracy and intellectual culture, lets forget genius. Instead, lets build stronger universities.
This post was previously published on Evidencenetwork.ca and is republished here under a Creative Commons license CC BY-ND 4.0.
Have you read the original anthology that was the catalyst for The Good Men Project? Buy here: The Good Men Project: Real Stories from the Front Lines of Modern Manhood
All Premium Members get to view The Good Men Project with NO ADS.
Need more info? A complete list of benefits is here.
Photo credit: Istockphoto.com
Go here to read the rest:
- Jordan B Peterson - YouTube - February 16th, 2020
- Is Jordan Peterson the New Ayn Rand? - Merion West - February 16th, 2020
- Redskins' Adrian Peterson in arbitration with Morgan Stanley in latest money dustup - The Athletic - February 16th, 2020
- Coyote Peterson on 'Brave the Wild' - Mental Floss - February 16th, 2020
- Peterson takes over as new judge - Daily Astorian - February 16th, 2020
- A Controversial Study Claimed To Explain Why Women Dont Go Into Science And Tech. It Just Got A 1,113-Word Correction. - BuzzFeed News - February 16th, 2020
- Controversial Scholar Jordan Peterson Treated for Addiction in Russia - The Moscow Times - February 16th, 2020
- David Peterson eyes the impact of Pullman Porter Museum before 25th anniversary - Rolling Out - February 16th, 2020
- Meet the Petersons: the controversial family plagued by ill health - Telegraph.co.uk - February 16th, 2020
- How Matt Peterson, an addict since childhood, got sober and learned to help others - WCPO Cincinnati - February 16th, 2020
- A High and Humble Calling - Bethel University News - February 16th, 2020
- Talented transfer fits in nicely with Barons - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 16th, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Update on the health of Dr. Jordan B. Peterson - The Post Millennial - February 16th, 2020
- Peterson blasts big cuts to farm programs in Trump's budget - Echo Press - February 12th, 2020
- MonDak Ag Days and Trade Show to feature the Peterson Farm Brothers - Sidney Herald Leader - February 12th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Almost Died In Induced Coma During Withdrawal From Anxiety Drug, Daughter Says - The Daily Wire - February 12th, 2020
- Boys district basketball: Nicholas Mason, Jordan Peterson lead Medical Lake to district tourney win - Sports and Weather Right Now - February 12th, 2020
- No Charges Pending in Shooting Death of 24-Year-Old - County 17 - February 12th, 2020
- Barbara Kay: Jordan Peterson and the deadly overprescription of benzos - National Post - February 12th, 2020
- AGAR: The awful responses to Rush Limbaugh and Jordan Peterson - Toronto Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Lauralie Peterson wins third edition of 'Faces of St. Martin' - The Daily Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Oscar Peterson's Africa Suite has never been performed in its entirety until now - CBC.ca - February 12th, 2020
- Peterson wanting to put Alberta back in the PMO - EverythingGP - February 12th, 2020
- Dear Jordan Peterson Fans, Try to Actually Be More Like Him - Merion West - February 1st, 2020
- Lawrence returns to Trans Am with Peterson Racing - RACER - February 1st, 2020
- BOYS BASKETBALL REPORT | Austin Peterson has a night to remember in Windham - Record-Courier - February 1st, 2020
- As hemp production booms, Rep. Collin Peterson works to expand the CBD market - MinnPost - February 1st, 2020
- The Takeaway: San Antonio Pitmaster Brandon Peterson on Breaking From the Texas Barbecue Norm - San Antonio Current - February 1st, 2020
- Peterson leads by example on young team - The Sheridan Press - February 1st, 2020
- Peterson Companies Acquires The Shops at Stonewall in Gainesville - Prince William Living - February 1st, 2020
- Breaking News - All-New Series "Coyote Peterson: Brave the Wild" Premieres on Animal Planet Feb. 9 at 9PM ET/PT - The Futon Critic - February 1st, 2020
- Filmmakers Discuss THE RISE OF JORDAN PETERSON On Tom Needham's SOUNDS OF FILM - Broadway World - February 1st, 2020
- 49ers' one-year turnaround has ties to Gophers - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 1st, 2020
- Mother and Son Alumni Share Connection as Chargers, Passion for Learning - University of New Haven News - February 1st, 2020
- 'I take full responsibility': Former Nampa teacher sentenced to 17 years in prison in lewd conduct case - KTVB.com - January 13th, 2020
- Miles adds to KU coaching staff - News - The Ottawa Herald - January 13th, 2020
- Bail denied for man charged in connection with death of Baltimore businesswoman - WBAL TV Baltimore - January 13th, 2020
- 'Ive got five, and Im going to hit:' Man standing trial in deadly shooting in York - York Daily Record - January 13th, 2020
- Minnesota Rep. Collin Peterson: Abortion 'didn't used to be a partisan issue' - City Pages - January 13th, 2020
- Permits for in-law flats and other ADUs are down but interest remains high - OregonLive - January 13th, 2020
- 29-Year-Old Terrance Peterson Charged In The Fatal Shooting Of Baltimore Mother Carmen Rodriguez At Kims Deli - CBS Baltimore - January 13th, 2020
- Player of the Week: Nick Peterson - The Bridgton News - January 13th, 2020
- Lehi and the Fragrant Highway | Dan Peterson - Patheos - January 13th, 2020
- Death and Transfiguration | Dan Peterson - Patheos - January 11th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - January 5th, 2020
- Peterson: Change on the way | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - January 5th, 2020
- NFL rumors: Why Eric Bieniemy might be the ideal coach for Giants mentality, according to Adrian Peterson - NJ.com - January 5th, 2020
- "He's A Heck Of A Coach": Players Give Their Thoughts On Redskins Head Coach Ron Rivera - Redskins.com - January 5th, 2020
- The Lehites and Arabia | Dan Peterson - Patheos - January 5th, 2020
- Okies in the NFL: Peterson sits fifth on rushing list - Oklahoman.com - January 5th, 2020
- Legends built here - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - January 5th, 2020
- Sitting Down with the Director of The Rise of Jordan Peterson - Merion West - December 27th, 2019
- Collin Peterson goes his own way on impeachment; will it matter? - Minneapolis Star Tribune - December 27th, 2019
- This former firefighter has a criminal past. Now, hes on the board that advises the state on its EMS system. - The Boston Globe - December 27th, 2019
- Peterson: Time, conditions might be right for beginning dairy farmers - Crow River Media - December 27th, 2019
- Peterson passes Walter Payton on the all-time rushing touchdown list - NBCSports.com - December 27th, 2019
- Giants gear up for another round with Adrian Peterson - Giants.com - December 27th, 2019
- Beast of the East wrestling: Patience pays off with title for SJVs Dean Peterson - nj.com - December 27th, 2019
- Peterson: Meet the most loyal of Iowa State's very loyal fans, who have attended each Cyclones bowl game - Des Moines Register - December 27th, 2019
- Tre Petersons story of excellence and perseverance - WRBL - December 27th, 2019
- Was Laci Peterson Found? Where Was Her Body? - Heavy.com - December 27th, 2019
- Hosey: Where in the world is Drew Peterson? - Northwest Herald - December 27th, 2019
- Information Released On Single Vehicle Accident In Broken Bow - Sand Hills Express - December 27th, 2019
- For these Detroit Lions, jersey swaps are more than just about the piece of cloth - Detroit Free Press - December 26th, 2019
- Dwayne The Rock Johnson has ties to Tom Peterson, Portland wrestling and, of course, Salt & Straw - OregonLive - December 26th, 2019
- Patrick Peterson is Projected to Be the #86 DB the Rest of the 2019 Season... Keep on the Waiver Wire - Scout - December 26th, 2019
- Harsin and the Broncos to face former head coach Chris Peterson in upcoming Las Vegas Bowl - Boise State University The Arbiter Online - December 26th, 2019
- Hosey: Where in the world is Drew Peterson? - DeKalb Daily Chronicle - December 26th, 2019
- These Are The Democrats Who Voted Against Impeaching President Trump - BuzzFeed News - December 18th, 2019
- Peterson, a Gretna resident, outskates the competition for the game she loves - Omaha World-Herald - December 18th, 2019
- AP's road to 1000 yards is hard, but doable - NBCSports.com - December 18th, 2019
- 'The Irishman' costume designers Sandy Powell and Christopher Peterson on working with Martin Scorsese - Screen International - December 18th, 2019
- Champaign moms to open preschool that will 'immerse children in nature, play' - Champaign/Urbana News-Gazette - December 18th, 2019
- OU football: Kyler Murray beats Baker Mayfield, Adrian Peterson breaks a record, more Sooners in the NFL week 15 - The Oklahoma Daily - December 18th, 2019
- Justice for Kona: Puppy Station in Post Oak Mall closed in wake of lawsuit - KAGSTV.com - December 18th, 2019
- Patrick Peterson says he will be back with the Cardinals in 2020 - ClutchPoints - December 18th, 2019
- Peterson: Iowa State recruiting is still about turning three-star recruits into five-star players - Des Moines Register - December 18th, 2019
- 'I think it'll help': City plans to install traffic lights at Dublin and Peterson - KKTV 11 News - November 25th, 2019
- Adrian Peterson not selected to the NFLs All-Time Team - The Viking Age - November 25th, 2019
- Noelle Broughton chooses her own adventure as the Peterson fellow in the Indianapolis mayor's office - IU Newsroom - November 25th, 2019