Over the past year and a half, Peterson has gained notoriety through his open hostility toward trans rights and feminism as well as his characterization of universities as tools for indoctrinating students into what he terms neo-Marxism.
January 10, 2020 by Evidence Network Leave a Comment
By Jennifer Garrison
Like it or not, University of Toronto professor Jordan Peterson is a cultural sensation. Over the past year and a half, Peterson has gained notoriety through his open hostility toward trans rights and feminism as well as his characterization of universities as tools for indoctrinating students into what he terms neo-Marxism.
He has throngs of online followers. A column in the New York Times noted hes been called the most influential public intellectual in the Western world, and academics regularly write columns seeking to discredit him.
I am an academic, but this is not one of those columns. Instead, I think we need to question our incessant need to talk about Peterson in the first place. Our obsession with Peterson reveals a larger cultural problem that threatens to cripple our universities: our adoration of the individual masculine genius.
This cult of genius comes at the expense of a vibrant intellectual life and thriving democracies in North America.
Petersons success is built on the fact that he was deemed to be a part of that special and highly nebulous category of genius a term (much like expert) that is almost exclusively reserved for men. In a recent interview, Petersons former colleague explains that Peterson was hired and promoted precisely on these grounds: he sometimes appeared to be in the thrall of his ideas and would not, or could not, constrain himself and self-monitor what he was saying. That was OK. He was eccentric.
In universities, we often take eccentric along with bad behaviour as a mark of genius: we ignore complaints about intolerance or sexual harassment because geniuses are above the rules. We really like geniuses. We hire and promote them and students want to study under them.
One problem with genius is that it is something one is rather than something one does. The concept implies that academic work is not, in fact, a form of work. When we only care if a university has its fair share of geniuses, we devalue and label as more feminine other forms of academic labour from teaching to administration to less trendy research.
In fact, the majority of teaching in North American universities is now done by contract faculty (the majority of whom tend to be women): PhD-holding subject experts who are paid per-course. If they are lucky enough to be teaching a full course load every semester, they might earn around $28,000 for working in excess of 40 hours a week.
Permanent faculty, on the other hand, are often overloaded with administrative work, such as curriculum planning and advising students. A recent study has shown that this work, too, falls largely to female faculty members keeping them from engaging in innovative teaching and ground-breaking research.
This emphasis on genius also threatens to destroy entire fields of study, particularly the softer disciplines in the Humanities (e.g., Art, English, History, etc.) since genius is typically reserved primarily for the more male-dominated STEM fields. Politicians, administrators, many members of the public, and Jordan Peterson himself regularly deride the Humanities as frivolous. (Ever heard a joke about an English major being a barista-in-training?)
On the contrary, the Humanities are vitally important in an increasingly polarized society because they help us to understand, analyze, and critique differences in human communication and culture. And (for the practical-minded) Humanities majors do get satisfying jobs. Their skills are in demand in the corporate world and they may actually have more career success than Business majors.
We need to reject this cult of the masculine genius. If we want a thriving intellectual culture, we need to start valuing all academic labor and forms of inquiry. Its not just better for universities themselves; its better for building a more tolerant and democratic society.
In order to shift this culture, we need to demand that politicians and administrators value and economically support a diversity of voices inside universities.
If we want a strong democracy and intellectual culture, lets forget genius. Instead, lets build stronger universities.
This post was previously published on Evidencenetwork.ca and is republished here under a Creative Commons license CC BY-ND 4.0.
Have you read the original anthology that was the catalyst for The Good Men Project? Buy here: The Good Men Project: Real Stories from the Front Lines of Modern Manhood
All Premium Members get to view The Good Men Project with NO ADS.
Need more info? A complete list of benefits is here.
Photo credit: Istockphoto.com
Go here to read the rest:
- McKinnon to test knee in workouts with AP - NFL.com - May 9th, 2020
- Behind the scenes with retail reporter Hayley Peterson - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 9th, 2020
- YouTuber Coyote Peterson willingly got stung by a Murder Hornet and it seemed awful - The Cincinnati Enquirer - May 9th, 2020
- Student of the Week: Caley Peterson - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - May 9th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: Is there too much 'fuss' over first responders? - The Bakersfield Californian - May 9th, 2020
- Sebring quarterback headed to powerhouse program: Theyre going to get my 100% - WKBN.com - May 9th, 2020
- Restaurants begin opening to dine-in guests once again - Daily Journal Online - May 9th, 2020
- Dickinson surprises teacher, staff of the year with parade - The Dickinson Press - May 9th, 2020
- Apart.y Helps You Connect With Loved Ones From Afar - 5280 | The Denver Magazine - May 9th, 2020
- Some Children Diagnosed With Coronavirus Also Stricken By Inflammatory Syndrome - News On 6 - May 9th, 2020
- The Book-Length Critique of Jordan Peterson Isn't Perfect, Either - Merion West - May 9th, 2020
- What Hating Jordan Peterson Tells You (about yourself) - The Times of Israel - May 9th, 2020
- Bee Peterson: We want to work. We will do it safely. Let us help figure things out so we can reopen - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - April 27th, 2020
- Redskins Adrian Peterson reacts to Trent Williams trade with disappointment - ClutchPoints - April 27th, 2020
- The one player Michael Jordan was scared of in college? Buzz Peterson details it - The Athletic - April 27th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson can play with both Thaddeus and Randy Moss in career - Redskins Wire - April 27th, 2020
- KC DoorDash driver starts petition for hazard pay; what other companies are doing - KSHB - April 27th, 2020
- Nursing homes sounded the alarm weeks ago, knowing COVID-19 could be devastating - WTSP.com - April 27th, 2020
- Three from Central Missouri to be inducted into MIAA Hall of Fame - The Daily Star-Journal - April 27th, 2020
- Michael Jordan's 'last dance' at Carolina, through the eyes of his teammates - Winston-Salem Journal - April 27th, 2020
- The faces of adversity: Bemidji seniors mourn the death of a final season that never was - Bemidji Pioneer - April 27th, 2020
- Michael Jordan feared a certain NFL legend on the basketball court, according to his North Carolina roommate - CBS Sports - April 27th, 2020
- The economic fallout of COVID-19: Baxter Regional fights to survive - ktlo.com - April 27th, 2020
- Fighting the virus with personal freedom in socialist Sweden - Chicago Daily Herald - April 27th, 2020
- Maryann Plunkett, Liza Jessie Peterson and More to Appear on 10PM WITH GALINSKY - Broadway World - April 24th, 2020
- Politics behind the pandemic - WAOW - April 24th, 2020
- 'The Last Kids on Earth': Max Brallier and Scott Peterson on Season 2 and Beyond - Collider.com - April 24th, 2020
- Iowa State starts re-stocking what could be a depleted tight end position with immediately eligible transfer - Des Moines Register - April 24th, 2020
- Regis Jesuit alum David Peterson remains on track to make big-league debut for Mets in the near future - The Denver Post - April 2nd, 2020
- Peterson: Sports were better back in the day | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - April 2nd, 2020
- Vernon J. Peterson of WEC Energy Group is Appointed Chair of the 2020 MEA Board of Directors - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson vs Jadeveon Clowney: Who was the better recruit? - 247Sports - April 2nd, 2020
- Sundays With Mike: the Peterson Guide to Social Distancing - KMAland - April 2nd, 2020
- Eufaulas Peterson named Super 12 Player of the Year - Dothan Eagle - April 2nd, 2020
- Man accused of making bomb threat arrested - pvtimes.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Peterson establishes testing point to limit spread of COVID-19 - csmng - April 2nd, 2020
- Check Out This Virtual Tour Of The Peterson Automotive Museum - TheThings - April 2nd, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - March 17th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: Cardinals 'all in' this year and 'not done' - Cards Wire - March 17th, 2020
- Inside the Treatment of Jordan Peterson - InsideHook - March 17th, 2020
- Ron Rivera wants Adrian Peterson to set the tone for his Redskins - Redskins Wire - March 17th, 2020
- City of Florence announces modified operations to prevent the spread of coronavirus - SCNow - March 17th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor - Peterson has this Republican's vote - Crookston Daily Times - March 17th, 2020
- The Critics of Social Justice, from Jonah Goldberg to Jordan Peterson - Merion West - March 17th, 2020
- Former MTSU baseball coach Steve Peterson was a great coach, better man - Daily News Journal - March 17th, 2020
- Even Da Crusher is prepared for coronavirus. A South Milwaukee resident took photos of the statue with face mask and toilet paper. - Milwaukee Journal... - March 17th, 2020
- Local psychologist offers tips on how to protect your mental health, talk to kids during coronavirus outbreak - ABC 57 News - March 17th, 2020
- Rebecca Peterson: The goal is to join the Olympics and keep climbing all the time - Tennis World USA - March 17th, 2020
- Peterson: Dear IHSAA, what are we doing here? Limit or cancel the boys' tournament - Des Moines Register - March 17th, 2020
- DoD issues travel restrictions: What this means for military in Colorado Springs - KKTV 11 News - March 17th, 2020
- REPORT: Tampa Bay Buccaneers to Announce Patriot QB Tom Brady Signing on Wednesday | - SpaceCoastDaily.com - March 17th, 2020
- Former MTSU baseball coach Steve Peterson through the years - The Daily News Journal - March 17th, 2020
- Jordan B Peterson - YouTube - February 16th, 2020
- Is Jordan Peterson the New Ayn Rand? - Merion West - February 16th, 2020
- Redskins' Adrian Peterson in arbitration with Morgan Stanley in latest money dustup - The Athletic - February 16th, 2020
- Coyote Peterson on 'Brave the Wild' - Mental Floss - February 16th, 2020
- Peterson takes over as new judge - Daily Astorian - February 16th, 2020
- A Controversial Study Claimed To Explain Why Women Dont Go Into Science And Tech. It Just Got A 1,113-Word Correction. - BuzzFeed News - February 16th, 2020
- Controversial Scholar Jordan Peterson Treated for Addiction in Russia - The Moscow Times - February 16th, 2020
- David Peterson eyes the impact of Pullman Porter Museum before 25th anniversary - Rolling Out - February 16th, 2020
- Meet the Petersons: the controversial family plagued by ill health - Telegraph.co.uk - February 16th, 2020
- How Matt Peterson, an addict since childhood, got sober and learned to help others - WCPO Cincinnati - February 16th, 2020
- A High and Humble Calling - Bethel University News - February 16th, 2020
- Talented transfer fits in nicely with Barons - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 16th, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Update on the health of Dr. Jordan B. Peterson - The Post Millennial - February 16th, 2020
- Peterson blasts big cuts to farm programs in Trump's budget - Echo Press - February 12th, 2020
- MonDak Ag Days and Trade Show to feature the Peterson Farm Brothers - Sidney Herald Leader - February 12th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Almost Died In Induced Coma During Withdrawal From Anxiety Drug, Daughter Says - The Daily Wire - February 12th, 2020
- Boys district basketball: Nicholas Mason, Jordan Peterson lead Medical Lake to district tourney win - Sports and Weather Right Now - February 12th, 2020
- No Charges Pending in Shooting Death of 24-Year-Old - County 17 - February 12th, 2020
- Barbara Kay: Jordan Peterson and the deadly overprescription of benzos - National Post - February 12th, 2020
- AGAR: The awful responses to Rush Limbaugh and Jordan Peterson - Toronto Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Lauralie Peterson wins third edition of 'Faces of St. Martin' - The Daily Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Oscar Peterson's Africa Suite has never been performed in its entirety until now - CBC.ca - February 12th, 2020
- Peterson wanting to put Alberta back in the PMO - EverythingGP - February 12th, 2020
- Dear Jordan Peterson Fans, Try to Actually Be More Like Him - Merion West - February 1st, 2020
- Lawrence returns to Trans Am with Peterson Racing - RACER - February 1st, 2020
- BOYS BASKETBALL REPORT | Austin Peterson has a night to remember in Windham - Record-Courier - February 1st, 2020
- As hemp production booms, Rep. Collin Peterson works to expand the CBD market - MinnPost - February 1st, 2020
- The Takeaway: San Antonio Pitmaster Brandon Peterson on Breaking From the Texas Barbecue Norm - San Antonio Current - February 1st, 2020