Welcome to Howd They Do That? a bi-monthly column that unpacks moments of movie magic and celebrates the technical wizards who pulled them off. This entry looks into the making of the car chase in To Live and Die in L.A.
William Friedkins take no prisoners attitude is the stuff of legend. This is the man who shoots blank guns on set and films without permits while speeding through New York City at ninety miles per hour. The New Hollywood shenanigans bracket is competitive. But Friedkin is outrageous, passionate, and willing to go to great lengths to get what he wants.
Its not a huge stretch to compare the director toRichard Chance, the hot-blooded cop played by William Petersen in Friedkins cat and mouse neo-noir To Live and Die in L.A.In the film, a fearless federal agent obsessively purses the counterfeiter (Willem Dafoe) who killed his partner, endangering himself and others in the process.
In many ways, To Live and Die in L.A. epitomizes Friedkins interest in the thin line between the cop and the criminal. Chances drive to seek and destroy leads him to commit reckless acts. Acts that rival those of the very man hes hunting. You know, like speeding the wrong way down a Los Angeles freeway during rush hour.
In a characteristically dick-out move, Chance and his new, terrified partner Vukovich (John Pankow) hold up a known criminal who is carrying the cash they need to incriminate their real target, the counterfeiter. The robbery goes south, bullets start flying, and someone shoots the courier.
Soon enough, a simple getaway escalates into a multi-vehicle death race. The pair fails to shake their pursuers through alleyways and flood control channels. And so Chance a cop fleeing like a criminal is seemingly trapped. A wrong way sign beckons.
The tires squeal, and Chances Chevy Impala shoots head-on into traffic. Vukovich falls to pieces in the backseat as Chance weaves wildly between hundreds of oncoming cars, collisions erupting in his wake.
Its a chase sequence that not only looks but feels real. You can see it on the screen: people did this. No wonky physics, no CGI. How the hell do you orchestrate something like that?
A lot of money and a lot of drivers. Oh, right and bymaking William Peterson drive the rightway down the freeway. Waitwhat?
According to stunt coordinator Buddy Joe Hooker, the chase scene was never scripted, let alone planned. But Freidkin and Hooker would frequently talk shop, and the idea for a chase scene began to take shape.
According to Hurricane Billy: The Stormy Life and Films of William Friedkin, Friedkin first conceived of a car chase against the flow of traffic while driving home from a wedding in 1963. As he tells it, Friedkin fell asleep at the wheel and woke up in the wrong lane headed straight into oncoming traffic. He swerved back to his side of the road and spent the next two decades wondering how he could use the experience in a movie.
Working with a stripped-down crew and Hookers diagrams, the eight-minute chase took six weeks to film and was the last sequence shot. In the making-of documentary Counterfeit World, Pankow jokes that by shooting the chase at the end of production, if anything were to happen to the lead actors the film would more or less be in the can.
It was forty stunt guys, Friedkin, and Pankow and me, remembers Peterson. We were going all over LA, blocking off streets and just spinning out.
The films director of photography (and noted Friedkin enabler)Robby Mller declined to shoot the chase over safety concerns, so the second unit cameraman, Robert D. Yeoman, came on instead. (Fun fact: Yeoman went on to become Wes Andersons DP of choice. So keep this mans enormous balls in mind next time you scoff at a twee center frame.)
Peterson himself did most of the chase leading up to the freeway stunt. I was able to do a lot of the driving stuff, and I wanted to do all of it, remembers the actor. It got to the point where it was much more fun to be doing the stunts than it was to be doing any of the acting stuff.
Quote Pankow: I didnt really have to act. I was terrified a lot of the time. Inserts and close-ups of Peterson behind the wheel of the Impala were accomplished with a specially designed hydraulic swivel car that was pulled behind a camera truck.
In other shots, where we see Chance driving in the camera car, the vehicles in the opposing lanes were stationary. This was apparently Friedkins idea. And according to Hooker, it created a strobe-effect: you couldnt tell if the cars were moving or not.
As Peterson describes in abehind-the-scenes featurette, the film rented a portion of a freeway for the weekend and sourced nine-hundred (!) cars to give the impression of rush hour.
The car Chance drives is specifically a 1985 Chevy Impala F41. The LAPD rented it out, along with several other cars used in the film. Three weekends were spent on sections of the Terminal Island Freeway near Wilmington, California. These were closed for several hours at a time to allow the crew to stage and shoot the nightmarish chase.
Now, brace yourself for a twist. In the narrative of the film, Chance and Vukovich are driving against traffic. But, in reality, the opposite was true. Petersen and Pankow drove in the correct direction. Meanwhile, traffic actually flowed backward on the wrong side of the road. This is possible to spot in several brief cuts.
According to an interview with Hooker on Shout Factorys Blu-ray release, one of the reasons Friedkin wanted Petersen and Pankow to drive in that particular direction was because there were these beautiful oil refineries with all the lights, and it was a dusk shot. [Friedkin] wanted to see that in the background with the cars going and the only way he could do that was to reverse the flow of the traffic.
Theres a moment near the end of the chase where the eighteen-wheeler jackknifes and squashes the cars in its path. This was Hookers idea. Like all good ideas, he suggested it before he knew how to pull it off.
To achieve the effect, the stunt team attached the back of the semi to a four-wheel-drive truck. When the tractor and trailer brakes locked up, the truck swung the back of the semi around with the cable.
As for the train jump, where our heroes outpace and cross in front of an oncoming train, as far as I can tell, they just staged and straight up did that.
Friedkin has a weakness for car chases. If you were to compile a list of the most impressive car chases in cinema, Friedkins name would certainly appear in the top ten multiple times. In his memoir, he refers to them as the purest form of cinema, something that cant be done in any other medium, not in literature nor on a stage nor on a painters canvas.
In 1971, Friedkin revolutionized the car chase with The French Connection. Shot on open New York City streets, with Gene Hackman doing a good chunk of the stunt driving himself, the sequence contains an exhilarating lack of control (with the unplanned accidents to show for it).
In the sequence, detective Jimmy Popeye Doyle (Hackman) commandeers a civilians car and chases after the elevated train on which a hitman is making his escape.
Basically, the sequence was about as dangerous to shoot as it looks. Much of the chase was shot on busy streets with no traffic control and no permits (Friedkin, on permits: what are they?). Its a kinetic, frantic five minutes with Popeye in a Pontiac LeMans careening through unsuspecting traffic at a frightening speed.
Friedkin has since acknowledged that he endangered lives for the sake of capturing a thrilling sequence. Furthermore, hes stated he would never shoot anything the way he shot The French Connection chase again. But, in his memoir, Friedkin admits to feeling a need to surpass The French Connection chase.
And so, when it came time to brainstorm a chase for The Live and Die inL.A.there it was: no one had done an against traffic chase at high speed. Like Dick Chance says: were going this way. While Friedkin may not have necessarily eclipsed his first iconic chase, in my books, he certainly matched it. And with permits no less!
See more here:
- Will the Defeat of Democrat Collin Peterson Be Good for the Climate? - Mother Jones - November 7th, 2020
- Letter: 'Whether or not Mr. Peterson was involved in drug crime, he should not have feared for his life, and he should not be dead, over something as... - November 7th, 2020
- Collin Peterson loses in CD-7, tight races in CD-1 and CD-2 - Bring Me The News - November 7th, 2020
- With roles reversed, Lee and Peterson face off again for NC Senate seat - Port City Daily - October 19th, 2020
- 198 thoughts on The Strange Fate of Jordan Peterson - Book and Film Globe - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson on how to defeat Cowboys without Dak Prescott: 'We have to force Andy Dalton to beat us' - CBS Sports - October 19th, 2020
- The Most Vulnerable Incumbent In The House Is A Democrat, But Republicans Are Defending More Competitive Seats - FiveThirtyEight - October 19th, 2020
- OU football: Joe Mixon and Adrian Peterson score, Baker Mayfield struggles, Sooners in the NFL week 6 - The Oklahoma Daily - October 19th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson passes Walter Payton on this list with latest rushing TD - 97.1 The Ticket - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: LB Isaiah Simmons 'not technically ready' for extensive role - Cards Wire - October 19th, 2020
- Letter | Peterson will serve Morrow County well as commissioner - East Oregonian - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson family still swinging at the LCC Foundation Golf Classic - Neuse News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson catches two TDs in 42-28 win over Campus - The Hutchinson News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson offers fresh perspective | Letters To The Editor - Mankato Free Press - October 10th, 2020
- President Trump & AG Barr Sued for Vindictive Prosecution Against Black Politician Robert Peterson & Fields Associates Announced today -... - October 10th, 2020
- Olson, Peterson inducted into York Area Ag Hall of Fame - York News-Times - October 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson and the Vikings Won an Ultra-Rare Tuesday Night Game in 2010 - Sportscasting - October 10th, 2020
- Things to Do in Miami: Karen Peterson and Dancers' Virtual 30th Anniversary - Miami New Times - October 10th, 2020
- Fantasy football fallout post-NFL roster cuts: Adrian Peterson, Antonio Gibson, Cam Akers and more | Fantasy Football News, Rankings and Projections -... - September 8th, 2020
- Former Vikings RB Adrian Peterson to sign with Lions - Vikings Wire - September 8th, 2020
- Will Adrian Peterson Be The Latest Addition To The Tom Brady Revolution In Tampa Bay? - Essentially Sports - September 8th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets shuffle starting rotation plans, including David Peterson to bullpen - Yahoo Sports - September 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson rushing to catch Emmitt Smith in record books - Richmond Free Press - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets pitcher Steven Matz is hearing the footsteps of David Peterson - Rising Apple - September 2nd, 2020
- Recent Graduate Receives Fulbright Grant to Teach in Spain - ISU Bengal Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Letter: Peterson | Letters To The Editor | record-eagle.com - Traverse City Record Eagle - September 2nd, 2020
- Peterson family named conservationists of the year in Rice County, Minn. - AberdeenNews.com - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson Believes He Still Has a Lot to Prove - NBC4 Washington - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson still out to prove something - WUSA9.com - August 31st, 2020
- Meet the MBA Class of 2022: Caroline Peterson, University of Texas (McCombs) - Poets&Quants - August 31st, 2020
- Bay Area air-quality forecast for the week ahead - SF Gate - August 31st, 2020
- What the hail? P-S GAR JA can offer help - csmng - August 31st, 2020
- Female Truckers to Honor Women's Suffrage on Trip - Transport Topics - August 31st, 2020
- Will County coroner announces retirement | The Herald-News - The Herald-News - August 31st, 2020
- Breaking down the Washington backfield for fantasy football: Can Adrian Peterson hold off Antonio Gibson and Bryce Love? | Fantasy Football News,... - August 10th, 2020
- Nielsen pulls ahead of Peterson in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 10th, 2020
- Metros Lynn Peterson offers to reduce payroll tax rate in transportation package if business group remains - OregonLive - August 10th, 2020
- High-throughput testing system latest addition to combat COVID-19 at LRMC - United States Army - August 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson has goals: Breaking Emmitt Smiths rushing record, and a championship - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Mobile COVID testing to soon hit the road in central Pa., will also deliver regular flu tests and shots - PennLive - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson: NCAA could be another casualty | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Andrew Peterson farm donations grind to a halt; funding in jeopardy - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Ducks in the show: Week Two - 247Sports - August 10th, 2020
- Rare tuna catch from shore attracts pack of giant roosters - For The Win - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson working to make sure HEROES Act ag provisions make it in final bill - brownfieldagnews.com - August 10th, 2020
- Controversial professor Jordan Peterson suffering with coronavirus and got worse after taking treatment dru - The Sun - August 10th, 2020
- David Peterson Continues Solid Stretch in Win Over Marlins - metsmerizedonline.com - August 10th, 2020
- Minnesota pastor appears on Penn and Teller's TV show | INFORUM - INFORUM - August 10th, 2020
- Professor Jordan Peterson reported to have COVID - The Bay Observer - Providing a Fresh Perspective for Hamilton and Burlington - August 10th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: Can trees, newspapers and Trump get any respect? - The Bakersfield Californian - August 10th, 2020
- Mets' Peterson getting more comfortable with every start - Newsday - August 9th, 2020
- 'Burnt orange runs through my veins': Westlake's Blake Peterson to play baseball at Texas - Hookem.com - August 9th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson reflects on favorite run of career back in 2009 - Vikings Wire - August 9th, 2020
- Bus driver shortages occurring locally due to pandemic - Picayune Item - Picayune Item - August 9th, 2020
- Peterson reports just five hospitalized from Kerr County with COVID-19 - dailytimes.com - August 8th, 2020
- Lake View City Officials Pleased To Announce New Lagoon Is Now Effectively Treating Wastewater - 1380 KCIM - August 8th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 6th, 2020
- Nebraska AG Peterson Joins Bipartisan Coalition Urging Federal Government Action - STL.News - August 6th, 2020
- Lady Panthers volleyball camp integrates young players into the program - Liberty Hill Independent - August 6th, 2020
- 'Siesta Key': Fans Think Kelsey Owens Wanted to Dump Garrett Miller and Get Back With Jake Peterson All Along - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 6th, 2020
- Investigation into Cottonwood Heights Police regarding 'use of force,' policy reform discussions underway - fox13now.com - August 6th, 2020
- More travelers are flying in and out of Yakima, leading Alaska Airlines to add a 2nd daily flight - Yakima Herald-Republic - August 6th, 2020
- PALERMO. Camila Giorgi surprises Peterson in the 1st round. HIGHLIGHTS - Tennis Tonic - August 6th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race. Here's a closer look at mayoral and council results - AZCentral - August 5th, 2020
- Peterson concerned about COVID-19, 'but work is work' - NBC Sports Washington - August 5th, 2020
- Angler Shows the Benefits of Fishing With a 'Tiny Child Rig' and What it Looks Like Underwater - Wide Open Country - August 5th, 2020
- Bush shocks Clay in congressional primary: 'We the people have answers' - Cherokee Tribune Ledger News - August 5th, 2020
- Robin Peterson Reveals He Was Once Called The 'K-Word' By A Former South African Cricketer - Cricket Addictor - August 4th, 2020
- Peterson: Who wants to clean up this mess? - Vail Daily News - August 4th, 2020
- FARMERS FROM GEORGIA AND ALABAMA MEET WITH FARMERS IN THE CROOKSTON AREA - kroxam.com - August 4th, 2020
- Washington Football News: Alex Smith part of Washingtons equation at QB when healthy; Love, Guice and Pete - Hogs Haven - August 3rd, 2020
- BWW Interview: Jon Peterson of P3 Theatre Company on Presenting Streaming Performances of Tour-de-Farce Comedy GREATER TUNA - Broadway World - August 3rd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson could benefit from the lack of offseason activities - NBC Sports Washington - August 3rd, 2020
- Suspects in Monroe officer's line-of-duty shooting appear in court - WTOL - August 3rd, 2020
- Mets vs. Red Sox recap: The Mets beatdown in Beantown continues - Amazin' Avenue - August 3rd, 2020
- No mass shootings in the U.S. since the pandemic started what about once its over? - ABC27 - August 3rd, 2020
- Friends and family remember Amy Gibson on one year anniversary of shooting at Dawson fire station - Forsyth County News Online - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson wins MLB debut as Mets beat Red Sox 8-3 - theday.com - July 31st, 2020
- Flight Works Alabama is a new airspace exhibition and education center in Mobile - WKRG News 5 - July 31st, 2020