As players spilled onto the field for postgame handshakes, after Dwayne Haskins posed for a selfie with fans and Case Keenum took the final kneel-down snap in his place, Bo Scarbrough had one thing on his mind: meeting his idol, Adrian Peterson.
Scarbrough weaved his way through traffic and found Peterson near where Keenum took his knee. The two spent a minute expressing admiration for each others game, and when they were done, Peterson retreated to his locker room, peeled the jersey off his back and sent it to the young Detroit Lions running back in the visiting locker room at Washingtons FedExField.
I walked straight over there to him like, boom, Scarbrough said about the Nov. 24 game. Told him hes my favorite player. We had a conversation and he told me, Yeah, (you can have it). It was like Fourth of July and Christmas.
Detroit Lions running back Bo Scarbrough (43) jumps over Washington Redskins linebacker Carroll Phillips (58) while running with the ball during the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Nov. 24, 2019, in Landover, Md. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)(Photo: The Associated Press)
Scarbrough kept Petersons game-worn No. 26 jersey in his locker the next few days, relishing the inscription on the number 2 as validation of the hard work hed put in.
Bo, young fella, keep running that rock hard, the inscription read. I love to see that physical play! God bless you! Put God #1. Everything else will fall into place. A.D.
A seventh-round pick by the Cowboys in 2018, Scarbrough never sniffed the field in Dallas and made pit stops with the Jacksonville Jaguars and Seattle Seahawks before finally catching his break with the Lions.
He made his first NFL start in mid-November against the Cowboys, and playing on the same field as Peterson a week later, he rushed for a career-high 98 yards in the Lions 19-16 loss to Washington.
Scarbrough, who has 80 carries for 335 yards and one touchdown in five games this season, said he has long tried to emulate Petersons running style, which he describes as big (and) angry.
Washington running back Adrian Peterson carries the ball past Lions strong safety Tavon Wilson during the first quarter on Sunday, Nov. 24, 2019, in Landover, Md.(Photo: Amber Searls, Amber Searls-USA TODAY Sports)
He just dont give a (expletive) about nobody, Scarbrough said. I feel like when he gets the ball, its just like a light in the sky. You never know what he going to do with it. Its a miracle when you watch him.
Heis one of dozens of Lions players who have traded jerseys with opponents after games this season. Some fans, coaches and players dont like the look of cavorting with the enemy after a loss. But those who take part in the ritual say its often deeply personal.
[How Kyle Sloter knows he can be a starting quarterback in the NFL]
For Scarbrough, who plans to display Petersons jersey in a frame that reads, My Favorite Running Back of All-Time, simply being on the same field as Peterson was emotional, given his path to the NFL.
Its just like a little kid just smashing his hand in a pile of cake, Scarbrough said. Thats how exciting it is to get to meet one of your favorite players thats been your favorite player since you can remember, and you finally get to actually meet him and play against him.
With one more chance to exchange jerseys this season Sunday against the Green Bay Packers, three other Lions explain why jersey swaps are meaningful to them.
Ford grew up in Alton, Illinois, across the state line from St. Louis, where Ezekiel Elliott was a schoolboy star. Ford and Elliott never played against each other in high school, but they ranked 1-2 in the St. Louis area in rushing one season, and when they met for the first time on the field this season, Ford had to ask Elliott for his jersey.
Ezekiel Elliott high steps into the end zone on a touchdown run against the Lions.(Photo: Raj Mehta, USA TODAY Sports)
Ive known him since I was like 5, Ford said. Hes from exactly where Im from, same area. We grew up in the same area. Went to the same Boys and Girls Club. Same guy.
Ford said he sought advice from Elliott coming out of the draft and occasionally talks football with the Dallas Cowboys running back via social media or text.
Getting Elliotts jersey, he said, was a way to pay homage to his hometown.
Itll be super cool to be like, Me and that guy from the same area both made it, hesaid. Just to be able to exchange jerseys, its something, not just for me but for the city and just everybody thats keeping eyes on us. Its super cool.
Ford, in his second NFL season, said he trades jerseys only with guys that Im really cool with and that I feel Im real good friends with.
Me and Zeke been knowing each other since we were real young kids, worked out together before we went to college, he said. Hes just my guy. Just a guy that I hang out with, known since we were young. Its just kind of like old friends that made it to the league, exchanged jerseys.
Slay has an extensive jersey collection from his seven seasons in the league. At one point, he was exchanging jerseys with opponents on an almost weekly basis, often with close friends.
This year, Slay said he made one swap that was especially meaningful with Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald.
Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald (11) makes a catch against the Detroit Lions during the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019, in Glendale, Ariz. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri)(Photo: The Associated Press)
Hes a special guy, man, Slay said. Hall of Famer. Great receiver. Been going against him for quite a bit, so its an honor that he gave me his jersey.
Slay and Fitzgerald have played against each other six times. The Lions are 2-3-1 in those games, and while Slay hasnt always covered Fitzgerald, he has immense respect for Fitzgeralds game and style of play.
At 36 years old, Fitzgerald is nearing the end of his career.
Slay said he wanted Fitzgeralds jersey both as a way to commemorate their battles against each other and also to have a piece of history from one of the games all-time greats.
Hes a competitor, Slay said. He competes at a high level. Very humble guy, man. Probably one of the most humble receivers. Him and Calvin (Johnson), are the most humble two guys I ever met as a receiver corps that dont say nothing to nobody, just uplifting guys. So very humble dude.
Like Ford, Golladay said he rarely trades jerseys, and when he does its usually with close friends.
In his locker, he has the jerseys of former Lions wide receiver T.J. Jones and Miami Dolphins tight end Nick OLeary, and after last weeks loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he swapped jerseys with defensive end Pat OConnor.
Nov 24, 2019; Landover, MD, USA; Detroit Lions wide receiver Kenny Golladay (19) carries the ball past Washington Redskins cornerback Fabian Moreau (31) during the second half at FedExField. Mandatory Credit: Amber Searls-USA TODAY Sports(Photo: Amber Searls-USA TODAY Sports)
Teammates at St. Rita High in Chicago, Golladay and OConnor have followed similar paths to the NFL. They both went to Mid-American Conference schools OConnor at Eastern Michigan and Golladay at Northern Illinois (after a pit stop at FCS North Dakota) and both were 2017 draft choices of the Lions.
We didnt know each coming into freshman year of high school, but played against each other in college, got drafted by the same team, Golladay said. Thats always been my boy, even in high school.
Along with OConnors jersey and those of Jones and OLeary, Golladay said his collection includes the likes of Jacoby Brissett, Jimmy Ward and Tommylee Lewis.
Golladay played with Ward and Lewis at Northern Illinois, and he spends his offseasons training in Florida with Brissett, Lewis and OLeary (the three of whom were high school teammates at Palm Beach Dwyer High).
Not saying I wouldnt trade jerseys with other people, Golladay said. But I just feel like it just means a little bit more (when its) somebody who I know.
See the original post here:
- Regis Jesuit alum David Peterson remains on track to make big-league debut for Mets in the near future - The Denver Post - April 2nd, 2020
- Peterson: Sports were better back in the day | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - April 2nd, 2020
- Vernon J. Peterson of WEC Energy Group is Appointed Chair of the 2020 MEA Board of Directors - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson vs Jadeveon Clowney: Who was the better recruit? - 247Sports - April 2nd, 2020
- Sundays With Mike: the Peterson Guide to Social Distancing - KMAland - April 2nd, 2020
- Eufaulas Peterson named Super 12 Player of the Year - Dothan Eagle - April 2nd, 2020
- Man accused of making bomb threat arrested - pvtimes.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Peterson establishes testing point to limit spread of COVID-19 - csmng - April 2nd, 2020
- Check Out This Virtual Tour Of The Peterson Automotive Museum - TheThings - April 2nd, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - March 17th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: Cardinals 'all in' this year and 'not done' - Cards Wire - March 17th, 2020
- Inside the Treatment of Jordan Peterson - InsideHook - March 17th, 2020
- Ron Rivera wants Adrian Peterson to set the tone for his Redskins - Redskins Wire - March 17th, 2020
- City of Florence announces modified operations to prevent the spread of coronavirus - SCNow - March 17th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor - Peterson has this Republican's vote - Crookston Daily Times - March 17th, 2020
- The Critics of Social Justice, from Jonah Goldberg to Jordan Peterson - Merion West - March 17th, 2020
- Former MTSU baseball coach Steve Peterson was a great coach, better man - Daily News Journal - March 17th, 2020
- Even Da Crusher is prepared for coronavirus. A South Milwaukee resident took photos of the statue with face mask and toilet paper. - Milwaukee Journal... - March 17th, 2020
- Local psychologist offers tips on how to protect your mental health, talk to kids during coronavirus outbreak - ABC 57 News - March 17th, 2020
- Rebecca Peterson: The goal is to join the Olympics and keep climbing all the time - Tennis World USA - March 17th, 2020
- Peterson: Dear IHSAA, what are we doing here? Limit or cancel the boys' tournament - Des Moines Register - March 17th, 2020
- DoD issues travel restrictions: What this means for military in Colorado Springs - KKTV 11 News - March 17th, 2020
- REPORT: Tampa Bay Buccaneers to Announce Patriot QB Tom Brady Signing on Wednesday | - SpaceCoastDaily.com - March 17th, 2020
- Former MTSU baseball coach Steve Peterson through the years - The Daily News Journal - March 17th, 2020
- Jordan B Peterson - YouTube - February 16th, 2020
- Is Jordan Peterson the New Ayn Rand? - Merion West - February 16th, 2020
- Redskins' Adrian Peterson in arbitration with Morgan Stanley in latest money dustup - The Athletic - February 16th, 2020
- Coyote Peterson on 'Brave the Wild' - Mental Floss - February 16th, 2020
- Peterson takes over as new judge - Daily Astorian - February 16th, 2020
- A Controversial Study Claimed To Explain Why Women Dont Go Into Science And Tech. It Just Got A 1,113-Word Correction. - BuzzFeed News - February 16th, 2020
- Controversial Scholar Jordan Peterson Treated for Addiction in Russia - The Moscow Times - February 16th, 2020
- David Peterson eyes the impact of Pullman Porter Museum before 25th anniversary - Rolling Out - February 16th, 2020
- Meet the Petersons: the controversial family plagued by ill health - Telegraph.co.uk - February 16th, 2020
- How Matt Peterson, an addict since childhood, got sober and learned to help others - WCPO Cincinnati - February 16th, 2020
- A High and Humble Calling - Bethel University News - February 16th, 2020
- Talented transfer fits in nicely with Barons - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 16th, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Update on the health of Dr. Jordan B. Peterson - The Post Millennial - February 16th, 2020
- Peterson blasts big cuts to farm programs in Trump's budget - Echo Press - February 12th, 2020
- MonDak Ag Days and Trade Show to feature the Peterson Farm Brothers - Sidney Herald Leader - February 12th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Almost Died In Induced Coma During Withdrawal From Anxiety Drug, Daughter Says - The Daily Wire - February 12th, 2020
- Boys district basketball: Nicholas Mason, Jordan Peterson lead Medical Lake to district tourney win - Sports and Weather Right Now - February 12th, 2020
- No Charges Pending in Shooting Death of 24-Year-Old - County 17 - February 12th, 2020
- Barbara Kay: Jordan Peterson and the deadly overprescription of benzos - National Post - February 12th, 2020
- AGAR: The awful responses to Rush Limbaugh and Jordan Peterson - Toronto Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Lauralie Peterson wins third edition of 'Faces of St. Martin' - The Daily Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Oscar Peterson's Africa Suite has never been performed in its entirety until now - CBC.ca - February 12th, 2020
- Peterson wanting to put Alberta back in the PMO - EverythingGP - February 12th, 2020
- Dear Jordan Peterson Fans, Try to Actually Be More Like Him - Merion West - February 1st, 2020
- Lawrence returns to Trans Am with Peterson Racing - RACER - February 1st, 2020
- BOYS BASKETBALL REPORT | Austin Peterson has a night to remember in Windham - Record-Courier - February 1st, 2020
- As hemp production booms, Rep. Collin Peterson works to expand the CBD market - MinnPost - February 1st, 2020
- The Takeaway: San Antonio Pitmaster Brandon Peterson on Breaking From the Texas Barbecue Norm - San Antonio Current - February 1st, 2020
- Peterson leads by example on young team - The Sheridan Press - February 1st, 2020
- Peterson Companies Acquires The Shops at Stonewall in Gainesville - Prince William Living - February 1st, 2020
- Breaking News - All-New Series "Coyote Peterson: Brave the Wild" Premieres on Animal Planet Feb. 9 at 9PM ET/PT - The Futon Critic - February 1st, 2020
- Filmmakers Discuss THE RISE OF JORDAN PETERSON On Tom Needham's SOUNDS OF FILM - Broadway World - February 1st, 2020
- 49ers' one-year turnaround has ties to Gophers - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 1st, 2020
- Mother and Son Alumni Share Connection as Chargers, Passion for Learning - University of New Haven News - February 1st, 2020
- 'I take full responsibility': Former Nampa teacher sentenced to 17 years in prison in lewd conduct case - KTVB.com - January 13th, 2020
- Miles adds to KU coaching staff - News - The Ottawa Herald - January 13th, 2020
- Bail denied for man charged in connection with death of Baltimore businesswoman - WBAL TV Baltimore - January 13th, 2020
- 'Ive got five, and Im going to hit:' Man standing trial in deadly shooting in York - York Daily Record - January 13th, 2020
- Minnesota Rep. Collin Peterson: Abortion 'didn't used to be a partisan issue' - City Pages - January 13th, 2020
- Permits for in-law flats and other ADUs are down but interest remains high - OregonLive - January 13th, 2020
- 29-Year-Old Terrance Peterson Charged In The Fatal Shooting Of Baltimore Mother Carmen Rodriguez At Kims Deli - CBS Baltimore - January 13th, 2020
- Player of the Week: Nick Peterson - The Bridgton News - January 13th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson and the Cult of Genius - The Good Men Project - January 13th, 2020
- Lehi and the Fragrant Highway | Dan Peterson - Patheos - January 13th, 2020
- Death and Transfiguration | Dan Peterson - Patheos - January 11th, 2020
- Peterson: Change on the way | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - January 5th, 2020
- NFL rumors: Why Eric Bieniemy might be the ideal coach for Giants mentality, according to Adrian Peterson - NJ.com - January 5th, 2020
- "He's A Heck Of A Coach": Players Give Their Thoughts On Redskins Head Coach Ron Rivera - Redskins.com - January 5th, 2020
- The Lehites and Arabia | Dan Peterson - Patheos - January 5th, 2020
- Okies in the NFL: Peterson sits fifth on rushing list - Oklahoman.com - January 5th, 2020
- Legends built here - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - January 5th, 2020
- Sitting Down with the Director of The Rise of Jordan Peterson - Merion West - December 27th, 2019
- Collin Peterson goes his own way on impeachment; will it matter? - Minneapolis Star Tribune - December 27th, 2019
- This former firefighter has a criminal past. Now, hes on the board that advises the state on its EMS system. - The Boston Globe - December 27th, 2019
- Peterson: Time, conditions might be right for beginning dairy farmers - Crow River Media - December 27th, 2019
- Peterson passes Walter Payton on the all-time rushing touchdown list - NBCSports.com - December 27th, 2019