There was plenty of player movement this weekend as NFL teams cut their rosters down to 53-man squads. The fallout huge fantasy football implications, as certain players fantasy football outlooks have been upended with moves to new environments or additional volume coming available.
[Use promo code KICKOFF30here to save 30% off your new PFF subscription today.]
Recall last season, when LeSean McCoys release during final roster cuts opened the door for Devin Singletary. In Week 1, he led the Buffalo Bills in snaps, ranked fifth in the league in routes run among running backs and finished as RB15.
The following is a rundown of all the players impacted by final roster cuts, with updated evaluations to consider for draft strategy and lineup construction for Week 1.
Its become pretty clich at this point veteran player X leaves an offense and its rookie player X szn. But in the case of Antonio Gibson, the hype is warranted.
Adrian Peterson was surprisingly released by the Washington Football Team at least in part because Gibson has been showing out in training camp. The former MVP had nothing but high praise for the rookie running back as both a receiver and someone who can handle work in between the tackles.
Gibson saw a large chunk of snaps at wide receiver and saw little overall volume in college, so theres a negative perception that he cant be an every-down back. But he weighs 228 pounds, which is more than enough. If anything, his NFL frame and lack of tread on the tires should help him sustain durability.
Gibson is now a firm RB2 in my seasonal rankings and worth a selection in the first 50 picks. Defenses might struggle with tackling (lack of padded practices) and Gibson forced a missed tackle on essentially half of his touches in 2019. And lets not forget the last time a rookie running back forced a team to part ways with Peterson *whispers* Alvin Kamara.
It didnt take long for Peterson to find a new home; he signed a one-year deal with the Detroit Lions Sunday morning, further muddling a backfield already home to both Kerryon Johnson and rookie DAndre Swift. This cant be a good sign for Swift, who has missed significant time in training camp due to a lower leg injury.
Johnson still figures to be the starting back come Week 1, but his draft capital takes a massive hit with the Peterson news, and he's not a running back you will be looking to start come Week 1 against the Chicago Bears.
The Bears will have a healthy Akiem Hicks on the defensive line, which is not good news for the Lions ground game. With Hicks playing last season, the Bears PFF run-defense grade (82.8) ranked fifth in the NFL.
Swifts RB23 ADP is a way too high. I have both Johnson and Swift ranked outside of the top-95 players, and I would still only feel comfortable drafting them if I could get them from Round 10 on.
And say what you want about Petersons age, but the man is durable his 499 touches over the past two seasons ranks 10th at the position. If injuries plague Johnson once again, Peterson will be the locked-and-loaded early-down back more than worth a selection in the 16th round.
None of the recently releasedPhiladelphia Eagles running backs were likely to be fantasy forces in 2020 (Elijah Holyfield, Adrian Killins Jr., Michael Warren), but their departure is a clear indicator that the team is not concerned about Miles Sanders injury.
He should be good to go Week 1 against the Washington Football Team and should smash in the plus matchup. Love him in DFS for Week 1.
The signing of Leonard Fournette was a tell-tale sign that somebody was going to get the boot in the Tampa Bay Buccaneers backfield. Pass-catching specialist Dare Ogunbowale got the short end of the stick, confirming LeSean McCoys role on the offense as a change-of-pace and third-down running back.
Ogunbowales departure does vacate seven carries inside the 5-yard line from last season, which could further bolster Ronald Jones opportunities near the goal-line. Based on his solid performance last season as a runner inside the 10-yard line, it is RoJos job to lose as the goal-line back in the offense.
The Los Angeles Rams released fourth-string and 2018 sixth-round running back John Kelly in favor of keeping 2020 undrafted rookie Xavier Jones out of SMU. Kelly was thought to be in the running back mix after receiving praise from head coach Sean McVay earlier this summer, but not even the coachs words could save his job.
Jones is a change-of-pace back, so even if he is active on game days in place of the currently injured Darrell Henderson, his role will be limited. For Week 1, we are going to see a two-man backfield of Cam Akers and Malcolm Brown. Reports have surfaced suggesting that Brown will be the starter.
Last season, Brown started the Rams Week 6 matchup against the San Francisco 49ers and finished the day with 11 carries for 40 yards on 67% of the offensive snaps. In that same game, Henderson had 11 carries as a backup and rushed for 49 yards with two catches for 20 yards, despite seeing just 33% of the offensive snaps.
With Brown a non-factor in the passing game, don't let this report deter you from Akers in drafts or from Week 1 starting lineups.
The Chicago Bears released running back Artavis Pierce, meaning the team is going to proceed with David Montgomery, Tarik Cohen, Ryan Nall and Cordarrelle Patterson at the RB position. Releasing Montgomery and opting to not bring in another veteran suggests the team must feel good about Montgomerys status coming back from his groin injury.
Actions speak larger than words the Las Vegas Raiders released Theo Riddick and traded Lynn Bowden Jr., meaningits wheels up for Josh Jacobs in the passing game. That's been the biggest knock on his fantasy value this summer.
There's a chance the Raiders sign the recently released Dare Ogunbowale (he visited the team on Sunday), but who knows how long it would take him to get up to speed in the offense.
The Kansas City Chiefs elected to move on from free agent signing DeAndre Washington, who was a popular candidate to be the direct backup to Clyde Edwards-Helaire. This turned out not to be the case, as the team is moving forward with Darrell Williams as the No. 2 running back. Williams needs to be drafted and owned as a priority backup across all league formats.
After cutting their roster down to 53 players, the Tennessee Titans only have two running backs on the roster: Derrick Henry and Darrynton Evans. The rookie from Appalachian State has had some struggles during training camp, but entrusting him in the No. 2 role behind King Henry is enough to make him worth a roster spot.
After releasing Lamar Miller and J.J. Taylor, the New England Patriots will enter the 2020 season with the same core as last season: Sony Michel, James White, Rex Burkhead and Damien Harris. I still think the value is with Michel because he has a chance to reclaim the starting role with Harris currently sidelined. I think we might see a completely different Michel in 2020, running with the mobile Cam Newton.
The Miami Dolphins released former first-round pickJosh Rosen, showing a vote of confidence in the health of rookie quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the starter Week 1, but Tagovailoa will take over at some point this season.
Its not a roster cut, but its worth noting here that the Chicago Bears named Mitchell Trubisky as their starting quarterback for Week 1 over Nick Foles. From all accounts, neither quarterback was overwhelming during training camp, so it appears Trubisky earned the job by default.
He wont be a quarterback you start for Week 1 in any traditional league formats, but in two-quarterback leagues or DFS, he's going to be a viable option with a matchup against the Detroit Lions.
In Trubiskys last three starts against his NFC North rival in the Matt Nagy offense, he has averaged three passing touchdowns, 9.5 yards per attempt, 289 passing yards and earned a 90.9 PFF passing grade. That translates to 32.5 fantasy points per game when you also include Trubiskys rushing statistics.
Nobody on planet Earth is going to want to play Trubisky, so leveraging him in a GPP could be a great way to save salary and differentiate your lineup. Remember, even before Marcus Mariota was benched last season, he posted 250-plus yards and three touchdowns versus the Cleveland Browns in Week 1.
The New England Patriots released Mohamed Sanu after trading a second-round pick for the veteran before the trade deadline in 2019. This slides Damiere Byrd in as the No. 3 wide receiver option behind NKeal Harry and Julian Edelman. I'm more confident in taking Harry in the later rounds now he remains one of my favorite second-year sleepers.
The Buffalo Bills released several veteran wide receivers Robert Foster, Andre Roberts, Duke Williams which to me says a lot about how they feel about rookie wide receiver Gabriel Davis from UCF. Davis has been a standout all summer and would be an immediate target off the waiver wire should anything happen to any of the main trio of Bills starting receivers: Stefon Diggs, John Brown and Cole Beasley.
The San Francisco 49ers waived bothJauan Jennings and Kevin White great signs that Deebo Samuel (just taken off the NFI list) and Brandon Aiyuk will be available for Week 1. They are both super low on draft boards because of their injuries over the summer, so they are both values.
The Washington Football Team released slot wide receiver Trey Quinn, solidifying the top trio of receivers in the nations capital: Terry McLaurin, Dontrelle Inman and Steven Sims.
Green Bay waived several wide receivers including Jake Kumerow, Reggie Begelton and Malik Turner. This should allow Marquez Valdes-Scantling to potentially graze fantasy relevance in 2020 he's the only true speed threat the team has at WR. If we start to see him receive consistent targets, he could easily emerge as a post-hype sleeper after failing to live up to expectations in 2019. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers was reported to be most impressed with him during training camp.
- Will the Defeat of Democrat Collin Peterson Be Good for the Climate? - Mother Jones - November 7th, 2020
- Letter: 'Whether or not Mr. Peterson was involved in drug crime, he should not have feared for his life, and he should not be dead, over something as... - November 7th, 2020
- Collin Peterson loses in CD-7, tight races in CD-1 and CD-2 - Bring Me The News - November 7th, 2020
- With roles reversed, Lee and Peterson face off again for NC Senate seat - Port City Daily - October 19th, 2020
- 198 thoughts on The Strange Fate of Jordan Peterson - Book and Film Globe - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson on how to defeat Cowboys without Dak Prescott: 'We have to force Andy Dalton to beat us' - CBS Sports - October 19th, 2020
- The Most Vulnerable Incumbent In The House Is A Democrat, But Republicans Are Defending More Competitive Seats - FiveThirtyEight - October 19th, 2020
- OU football: Joe Mixon and Adrian Peterson score, Baker Mayfield struggles, Sooners in the NFL week 6 - The Oklahoma Daily - October 19th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson passes Walter Payton on this list with latest rushing TD - 97.1 The Ticket - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: LB Isaiah Simmons 'not technically ready' for extensive role - Cards Wire - October 19th, 2020
- Letter | Peterson will serve Morrow County well as commissioner - East Oregonian - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson family still swinging at the LCC Foundation Golf Classic - Neuse News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson catches two TDs in 42-28 win over Campus - The Hutchinson News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson offers fresh perspective | Letters To The Editor - Mankato Free Press - October 10th, 2020
- President Trump & AG Barr Sued for Vindictive Prosecution Against Black Politician Robert Peterson & Fields Associates Announced today -... - October 10th, 2020
- Olson, Peterson inducted into York Area Ag Hall of Fame - York News-Times - October 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson and the Vikings Won an Ultra-Rare Tuesday Night Game in 2010 - Sportscasting - October 10th, 2020
- Things to Do in Miami: Karen Peterson and Dancers' Virtual 30th Anniversary - Miami New Times - October 10th, 2020
- Former Vikings RB Adrian Peterson to sign with Lions - Vikings Wire - September 8th, 2020
- Will Adrian Peterson Be The Latest Addition To The Tom Brady Revolution In Tampa Bay? - Essentially Sports - September 8th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets shuffle starting rotation plans, including David Peterson to bullpen - Yahoo Sports - September 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson rushing to catch Emmitt Smith in record books - Richmond Free Press - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets pitcher Steven Matz is hearing the footsteps of David Peterson - Rising Apple - September 2nd, 2020
- Recent Graduate Receives Fulbright Grant to Teach in Spain - ISU Bengal Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Letter: Peterson | Letters To The Editor | record-eagle.com - Traverse City Record Eagle - September 2nd, 2020
- Peterson family named conservationists of the year in Rice County, Minn. - AberdeenNews.com - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson Believes He Still Has a Lot to Prove - NBC4 Washington - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson still out to prove something - WUSA9.com - August 31st, 2020
- Meet the MBA Class of 2022: Caroline Peterson, University of Texas (McCombs) - Poets&Quants - August 31st, 2020
- Bay Area air-quality forecast for the week ahead - SF Gate - August 31st, 2020
- What the hail? P-S GAR JA can offer help - csmng - August 31st, 2020
- Female Truckers to Honor Women's Suffrage on Trip - Transport Topics - August 31st, 2020
- Will County coroner announces retirement | The Herald-News - The Herald-News - August 31st, 2020
- Breaking down the Washington backfield for fantasy football: Can Adrian Peterson hold off Antonio Gibson and Bryce Love? | Fantasy Football News,... - August 10th, 2020
- Nielsen pulls ahead of Peterson in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 10th, 2020
- Metros Lynn Peterson offers to reduce payroll tax rate in transportation package if business group remains - OregonLive - August 10th, 2020
- High-throughput testing system latest addition to combat COVID-19 at LRMC - United States Army - August 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson has goals: Breaking Emmitt Smiths rushing record, and a championship - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Mobile COVID testing to soon hit the road in central Pa., will also deliver regular flu tests and shots - PennLive - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson: NCAA could be another casualty | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Andrew Peterson farm donations grind to a halt; funding in jeopardy - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Ducks in the show: Week Two - 247Sports - August 10th, 2020
- Rare tuna catch from shore attracts pack of giant roosters - For The Win - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson working to make sure HEROES Act ag provisions make it in final bill - brownfieldagnews.com - August 10th, 2020
- Controversial professor Jordan Peterson suffering with coronavirus and got worse after taking treatment dru - The Sun - August 10th, 2020
- David Peterson Continues Solid Stretch in Win Over Marlins - metsmerizedonline.com - August 10th, 2020
- Minnesota pastor appears on Penn and Teller's TV show | INFORUM - INFORUM - August 10th, 2020
- Professor Jordan Peterson reported to have COVID - The Bay Observer - Providing a Fresh Perspective for Hamilton and Burlington - August 10th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: Can trees, newspapers and Trump get any respect? - The Bakersfield Californian - August 10th, 2020
- Mets' Peterson getting more comfortable with every start - Newsday - August 9th, 2020
- 'Burnt orange runs through my veins': Westlake's Blake Peterson to play baseball at Texas - Hookem.com - August 9th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson reflects on favorite run of career back in 2009 - Vikings Wire - August 9th, 2020
- Bus driver shortages occurring locally due to pandemic - Picayune Item - Picayune Item - August 9th, 2020
- Peterson reports just five hospitalized from Kerr County with COVID-19 - dailytimes.com - August 8th, 2020
- Lake View City Officials Pleased To Announce New Lagoon Is Now Effectively Treating Wastewater - 1380 KCIM - August 8th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 6th, 2020
- Nebraska AG Peterson Joins Bipartisan Coalition Urging Federal Government Action - STL.News - August 6th, 2020
- Lady Panthers volleyball camp integrates young players into the program - Liberty Hill Independent - August 6th, 2020
- 'Siesta Key': Fans Think Kelsey Owens Wanted to Dump Garrett Miller and Get Back With Jake Peterson All Along - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 6th, 2020
- Investigation into Cottonwood Heights Police regarding 'use of force,' policy reform discussions underway - fox13now.com - August 6th, 2020
- More travelers are flying in and out of Yakima, leading Alaska Airlines to add a 2nd daily flight - Yakima Herald-Republic - August 6th, 2020
- PALERMO. Camila Giorgi surprises Peterson in the 1st round. HIGHLIGHTS - Tennis Tonic - August 6th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race. Here's a closer look at mayoral and council results - AZCentral - August 5th, 2020
- Peterson concerned about COVID-19, 'but work is work' - NBC Sports Washington - August 5th, 2020
- Angler Shows the Benefits of Fishing With a 'Tiny Child Rig' and What it Looks Like Underwater - Wide Open Country - August 5th, 2020
- Bush shocks Clay in congressional primary: 'We the people have answers' - Cherokee Tribune Ledger News - August 5th, 2020
- Robin Peterson Reveals He Was Once Called The 'K-Word' By A Former South African Cricketer - Cricket Addictor - August 4th, 2020
- Peterson: Who wants to clean up this mess? - Vail Daily News - August 4th, 2020
- FARMERS FROM GEORGIA AND ALABAMA MEET WITH FARMERS IN THE CROOKSTON AREA - kroxam.com - August 4th, 2020
- Washington Football News: Alex Smith part of Washingtons equation at QB when healthy; Love, Guice and Pete - Hogs Haven - August 3rd, 2020
- BWW Interview: Jon Peterson of P3 Theatre Company on Presenting Streaming Performances of Tour-de-Farce Comedy GREATER TUNA - Broadway World - August 3rd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson could benefit from the lack of offseason activities - NBC Sports Washington - August 3rd, 2020
- Suspects in Monroe officer's line-of-duty shooting appear in court - WTOL - August 3rd, 2020
- Mets vs. Red Sox recap: The Mets beatdown in Beantown continues - Amazin' Avenue - August 3rd, 2020
- No mass shootings in the U.S. since the pandemic started what about once its over? - ABC27 - August 3rd, 2020
- Friends and family remember Amy Gibson on one year anniversary of shooting at Dawson fire station - Forsyth County News Online - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson wins MLB debut as Mets beat Red Sox 8-3 - theday.com - July 31st, 2020
- Flight Works Alabama is a new airspace exhibition and education center in Mobile - WKRG News 5 - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson Ridge has a new trailheadwith parking and bathrooms | Go Here | Bend - The Source Weekly - July 31st, 2020