Dr. Jordan B. Petersons personal troubles are celebrated by his detractors. After his daughter, Mikhaila Peterson, opened up about the difficulties her father faced during this past year, a torrent of ill-wishes were released to social media.
A data scientist, engineer and social justice activist had this to say: do I think he deserves sympathy despite him not extending it to others? Also no.
Do I think Jordan Peterson deserves a pass on his bigotry because he's suffering? No.
But do I think he deserves dignity despite his situation being a product of views that he profits from? No.
But do I think he deserves sympathy despite him not extending it to others? Also no. Pronoun Enforcer (@EmilyGorcenski) February 8, 2020
Petersons legacy is evident in just how many people have been helped by his work. His message is simple, to take charge of yourself and your life, to avoid being controlled by aimless desire, and if you dont know where to start, begin by cleaning your room.
A professor of law and medicine at the University of Ottawa also prefers to show no sympathy. Heres hoping he doesnt teach ethics.
#KARMAJordan Peterson, oracle to gullible young men, preacher of macho toughness, and hectoring bully to snowflakes, is addicted to strong drugs and his brain riddled with neurological damage.
He deserves as much sympathy as he showed others. https://t.co/a0lHWZlqrX Amir Attaran (@profamirattaran) February 8, 2020
Petersons message is one that so many who hear it can relate to, and hes travelled the world speaking to sold-out audiences. His views are rooted in western ideas, stem from our most ancient myths and legends, and embrace the Christian hero story of self-sacrifice as the ultimate strength.
A writer for the Toronto Guardian had this to say.
But wait a second, I thought an all meat diet and toxic masculinity was the key to a happy life
This man is a complete fraud. While I wish no ill will on anyone, Jordan Peterson will always be an idiot's genius. #cdnmedia https://t.co/RW13WxCYpj Neil Before Zod (@WaytowichNeil) February 8, 2020
Some guy with the Twitter username im nice who fancies himself a comedian had this to say:
jordan petersons method for living the perfect life works great unless anything bad ever happens to you at which point you develop the worst benzo habit of all time and end up being kidnapped by your daughter and experimented on in a russian prison im nice (@Lowenaffchen) February 8, 2020
Peterson has been vilified by detractors in media and the public at large about as much as he has been praised. The reasons behind this are that people dont like to hear that relativism is not the best way to live life. People who are mired in our contemporary driving philosophy of meaninglessness, that no one way to live is better than any other, that no one choice is a better or worse choice than another, dont want to listen to someone who says that the hard work of life is worth doing.
I'd like to come out as a big fan of @jordanbpeterson. Not only has he helped and inspired countless young men, but he inspired me to start writing after an 11-year hiatus. He re-tweeted and shared my articles on social media and even sent me an email of support. I owe him a lot. https://t.co/7PlR8E6C62 Kathrine Jebsen Moore (@JebsenMoore) February 9, 2020
Yet a podcaster, community organizer, and author from Quebec City wishes eternal damnation on Jordan Peterson.
I hope for years of hell in perpetua for Jordan Peterson. Nora Loreto (@NoLore) February 8, 2020
Peterson says that the idea that we should accept ourselves as we are is misguided, because at our core, were all probably monsters. He brings up the genocides and massacres of the 20th century as proof, invoking the memoirs of concentration camp guards to show that any of us are capable of the most horrific of human actions. None of us are safe from our own worst, or best, impulses. He holds us all accountable to ourselves, to each other, and to the people we love. He speaks about marriage as a relationship that must be nurtured and tended, not abandoned. Peterson recommends that you dont let your kids turn into unlikeable children.
Not everyone wished him harm, and some pushed back.
Through podcasts, books, speaking engagements, interviews, and YouTube videos, he talks about how essential it is that we each take on our own heros journey. He brings up the legend of King Arthurs knights, recommending that we must seek our journey in the dark placemeaning we must face our fears, not so that we can overcome them, but so that we can know that we are afraid and act bravely in the face of those fears. One very real place where this approach can be made is in the face of addiction. There is perhaps nothing more difficult than kicking an addiction that has you in its teeth.
You are shockingly petty and pathetic. Gloating over a man's struggle to overcome physical dependency to medication that was prescribed to him to cope with his wife's terminal cancer diagnosis is absolutely disgraceful. https://t.co/3HICCozHRi
On addiction and physical dependence, Peterson can speak from experience. That he has this understanding makes his message that much stronger. How trite it is to hear from a teetotaller who has never touched a drop that we should give up the hard stuff. Where it has more power is coming from someone who has been there before us, whether theyve beaten the addiction or not.
Those who criticise Peterson the most, have always been those who need his advice the most
It's easy to throw stones.
It's easy to nitpick.
It's easy to kick a man when he is down.
It's hard to have a positive impact on millions of people.
Be good buckos ZUBY: (@ZubyMusic) February 8, 2020
The calls for Petersons head on a spike came from the contemporary left, which is a movement that mirrors the heavy-handed vitriol that we used to see with the late 20th century right. This moralistic grandstanding on a foundation based entirely on narcissistic pleasure principles is eating itself. An ideology that purports to care for others only cares for those who adhere to the ideology. There is a growing intolerance for disagreement.
When I read some of the responses to Jordan Petersons illness, Im reminded why the Left has become so commonly associated with a lack of compassion, tolerance and basic human empathy.
We on the Left need to get our own house in order. These people are seriously fucking it up. pic.twitter.com/VRprW729G5
Petersons struggle to overcome benzodiazepines is so incredibly humanizing and real. It shows us that, in many ways, he is right. We are all capable of losing control, even those among us who are so great at guiding us how not to. Petersons all too human struggle can give the rest of us strength to know that we are not alone in ours. The identitarian, intolerant left could do well to face its demons, just as Peterson is facing his.
Read this article:
- Fantasy football fallout post-NFL roster cuts: Adrian Peterson, Antonio Gibson, Cam Akers and more | Fantasy Football News, Rankings and Projections -... - September 8th, 2020
- Former Vikings RB Adrian Peterson to sign with Lions - Vikings Wire - September 8th, 2020
- Will Adrian Peterson Be The Latest Addition To The Tom Brady Revolution In Tampa Bay? - Essentially Sports - September 8th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets shuffle starting rotation plans, including David Peterson to bullpen - Yahoo Sports - September 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson rushing to catch Emmitt Smith in record books - Richmond Free Press - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets pitcher Steven Matz is hearing the footsteps of David Peterson - Rising Apple - September 2nd, 2020
- Recent Graduate Receives Fulbright Grant to Teach in Spain - ISU Bengal Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Letter: Peterson | Letters To The Editor | record-eagle.com - Traverse City Record Eagle - September 2nd, 2020
- Peterson family named conservationists of the year in Rice County, Minn. - AberdeenNews.com - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson Believes He Still Has a Lot to Prove - NBC4 Washington - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson still out to prove something - WUSA9.com - August 31st, 2020
- Meet the MBA Class of 2022: Caroline Peterson, University of Texas (McCombs) - Poets&Quants - August 31st, 2020
- Bay Area air-quality forecast for the week ahead - SF Gate - August 31st, 2020
- What the hail? P-S GAR JA can offer help - csmng - August 31st, 2020
- Female Truckers to Honor Women's Suffrage on Trip - Transport Topics - August 31st, 2020
- Will County coroner announces retirement | The Herald-News - The Herald-News - August 31st, 2020
- Breaking down the Washington backfield for fantasy football: Can Adrian Peterson hold off Antonio Gibson and Bryce Love? | Fantasy Football News,... - August 10th, 2020
- Nielsen pulls ahead of Peterson in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 10th, 2020
- Metros Lynn Peterson offers to reduce payroll tax rate in transportation package if business group remains - OregonLive - August 10th, 2020
- High-throughput testing system latest addition to combat COVID-19 at LRMC - United States Army - August 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson has goals: Breaking Emmitt Smiths rushing record, and a championship - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Mobile COVID testing to soon hit the road in central Pa., will also deliver regular flu tests and shots - PennLive - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson: NCAA could be another casualty | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Andrew Peterson farm donations grind to a halt; funding in jeopardy - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Ducks in the show: Week Two - 247Sports - August 10th, 2020
- Rare tuna catch from shore attracts pack of giant roosters - For The Win - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson working to make sure HEROES Act ag provisions make it in final bill - brownfieldagnews.com - August 10th, 2020
- Controversial professor Jordan Peterson suffering with coronavirus and got worse after taking treatment dru - The Sun - August 10th, 2020
- David Peterson Continues Solid Stretch in Win Over Marlins - metsmerizedonline.com - August 10th, 2020
- Minnesota pastor appears on Penn and Teller's TV show | INFORUM - INFORUM - August 10th, 2020
- Professor Jordan Peterson reported to have COVID - The Bay Observer - Providing a Fresh Perspective for Hamilton and Burlington - August 10th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: Can trees, newspapers and Trump get any respect? - The Bakersfield Californian - August 10th, 2020
- Mets' Peterson getting more comfortable with every start - Newsday - August 9th, 2020
- 'Burnt orange runs through my veins': Westlake's Blake Peterson to play baseball at Texas - Hookem.com - August 9th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson reflects on favorite run of career back in 2009 - Vikings Wire - August 9th, 2020
- Bus driver shortages occurring locally due to pandemic - Picayune Item - Picayune Item - August 9th, 2020
- Peterson reports just five hospitalized from Kerr County with COVID-19 - dailytimes.com - August 8th, 2020
- Lake View City Officials Pleased To Announce New Lagoon Is Now Effectively Treating Wastewater - 1380 KCIM - August 8th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 6th, 2020
- Nebraska AG Peterson Joins Bipartisan Coalition Urging Federal Government Action - STL.News - August 6th, 2020
- Lady Panthers volleyball camp integrates young players into the program - Liberty Hill Independent - August 6th, 2020
- 'Siesta Key': Fans Think Kelsey Owens Wanted to Dump Garrett Miller and Get Back With Jake Peterson All Along - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 6th, 2020
- Investigation into Cottonwood Heights Police regarding 'use of force,' policy reform discussions underway - fox13now.com - August 6th, 2020
- More travelers are flying in and out of Yakima, leading Alaska Airlines to add a 2nd daily flight - Yakima Herald-Republic - August 6th, 2020
- PALERMO. Camila Giorgi surprises Peterson in the 1st round. HIGHLIGHTS - Tennis Tonic - August 6th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race. Here's a closer look at mayoral and council results - AZCentral - August 5th, 2020
- Peterson concerned about COVID-19, 'but work is work' - NBC Sports Washington - August 5th, 2020
- Angler Shows the Benefits of Fishing With a 'Tiny Child Rig' and What it Looks Like Underwater - Wide Open Country - August 5th, 2020
- Bush shocks Clay in congressional primary: 'We the people have answers' - Cherokee Tribune Ledger News - August 5th, 2020
- Robin Peterson Reveals He Was Once Called The 'K-Word' By A Former South African Cricketer - Cricket Addictor - August 4th, 2020
- Peterson: Who wants to clean up this mess? - Vail Daily News - August 4th, 2020
- FARMERS FROM GEORGIA AND ALABAMA MEET WITH FARMERS IN THE CROOKSTON AREA - kroxam.com - August 4th, 2020
- Washington Football News: Alex Smith part of Washingtons equation at QB when healthy; Love, Guice and Pete - Hogs Haven - August 3rd, 2020
- BWW Interview: Jon Peterson of P3 Theatre Company on Presenting Streaming Performances of Tour-de-Farce Comedy GREATER TUNA - Broadway World - August 3rd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson could benefit from the lack of offseason activities - NBC Sports Washington - August 3rd, 2020
- Suspects in Monroe officer's line-of-duty shooting appear in court - WTOL - August 3rd, 2020
- Mets vs. Red Sox recap: The Mets beatdown in Beantown continues - Amazin' Avenue - August 3rd, 2020
- No mass shootings in the U.S. since the pandemic started what about once its over? - ABC27 - August 3rd, 2020
- Friends and family remember Amy Gibson on one year anniversary of shooting at Dawson fire station - Forsyth County News Online - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson wins MLB debut as Mets beat Red Sox 8-3 - theday.com - July 31st, 2020
- Flight Works Alabama is a new airspace exhibition and education center in Mobile - WKRG News 5 - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson Ridge has a new trailheadwith parking and bathrooms | Go Here | Bend - The Source Weekly - July 31st, 2020
- Man accused of shooting tenants' AC with shotgun - Rutland Herald - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson: Last call for the Top 120 of 2020 - The Topeka Capital-Journal - July 31st, 2020
- 'Voire Dire': How the Portage County Circuit Court inspired an opera, and now a CD - Stevens Point Journal - July 29th, 2020
- Brett Favre Gave Adrian Peterson the Motivation to Keep Playing - Sportscasting - July 29th, 2020
- Rookie David Peterson in the conversation to join Mets rotation - New York Post - July 28th, 2020
- Hello Idaho: The Speedy Foundation continues to offer guidance surrounding suicide prevention - KTVB.com - July 28th, 2020
- Peterson: Re-discovering that theres no one-size-fits-all for college football - Des Moines Register - July 28th, 2020
- Athlete of the Week: Dylan Peterson - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - July 28th, 2020
- After 30 Years, Making Accessibility Information Accessible - Forbes - July 28th, 2020
- 5-year-old boy severely injured after being run over during camping trip - East Idaho News - July 28th, 2020
- Allison Peterson Named Region 15 Secondary Teacher of the Year - Standard-Times - July 28th, 2020
- SAISD: Allison Peterson Named Region 15 Secondary Teacher of the Year - ConchoValleyHomepage.com - July 26th, 2020
- Millie Peterson - Antioch On The Move - July 26th, 2020
- Hochman: With compassion and grace, Wainwright showed why Cardinals wore Black Lives Matter shirts - St. Louis Post-Dispatch - July 26th, 2020
- How They Shot the Wrong-Way Car Chase in To Live and Die in L.A. - Film School Rejects - July 26th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: The happiest story of the week - The Bakersfield Californian - July 26th, 2020
- Peterson: Can it be there is a glimmer? | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - July 26th, 2020