In Minnesota, hemp farming looks different these days. Joe Radinovich, the executive director of the Minnesota Hemp Association (MHA), has one word to describe it: an explosion.
In 2018, only 10 percent of the states 700 acres of hemp were used to produce CBD, according to the MHA. By 2019, the state grew 8,000 acres of hemp and used 400,000 indoor square feet of growing space, 78 percent of which was used to produce CBD.
Theres been this explosion, obviously, in the extraction market, said Radinovich, who previously ran to represent the Eighth District in Congress in 2018 and now leads the MHA.
But theres a problem for hemp farmers and refiners: Hemp prices are falling as CBD demand isnt matching production. At the same time, CBD products cannot be marketed as dietary supplements or health products, meaning they have very narrow opportunity to be sold.
Rep. Collin Peterson wants to help. Petersons bill, H.R.5587, would change the way the Food and Drug Administration regulates CBD-products, allowing CBD to be marketed as a dietary supplement. Additionally, it would require the U.S. Department of Agriculture to study market barriers for hemp.
I know folks in my district that are excited about the potential for hemp, and while I want them to recognize that theres still a ways to go yet, I also want to help establish a roadmap to get there, Peterson, the Chair of the House Agriculture Committee, told MinnPost.
Thats what the bill is about setting a path to viability for hemp and CBD that focuses on the people who produce it.
Petersons bill is a small chip at much larger barriers for the hemp market.
One thing thats kind of holding it back is still a sense that we dont know where these regulations are going. And I think that Chairman Petersons bill is a good step, said Radinovich.
MinnPost photo by Walker Orenstein
Rep. Collin Peterson
The history of hemp farming has been fraught with regulatory hurdles. Federal law passed in 1937, the Marihuana Tax Act, did not distinguish hemp from other cannabis, effectively making hemp production too expensive. There was a brief government effort to produce hemp during World War II, when the U.S. government released a documentary called Hemp for Victory, to encourage hemp production for the war. All forms of cannabis were banned under the Controlled Substances Act in 1970.
The growth of hemp on such a large scale is a recent development. Pilot programs were only recently authorized by the 2014 Farm Bill, which allowed allowed states to develop limited amounts of farm to grow and study the production of hemp in coordination with the U.S. Department of Agriculture. More recently, the 2018 Farm Bill, championed by Peterson, went further: allowing the transfer of hemp products across state lines and placing no restrictions on the sale or possession of hemp-derived products. It also created a legal pathway for creating products containing CBD.
In 2016, the Minnesota pilot program allowed six participants to grow hemp, the first time hemp was grown in Minnesota since the 1950s. By 2018, there were 51 participants.
Peterson said that he recently visited a plant in western Kentucky, in an area thats represented by Rep. James Comer, R-Kentucky, where theyre making flooring out of hemp. Theres a lot that we can do, but not much clarity on how were going to do it, he said. Farmers deserve a straight answer to the question of whats standing between them and developing this market.
His new bill has support from both sides of the aisle, with three initial co-sponsors: Comer, Rep. Chellie Pingree, D-Maine, and Rep. Thomas Massie, Thomas, R-Kentucky.
MinnPost photo by Brian Halliday
While the relaxing of regulation for CBD is new, so is the research into what exactly CBD can effectively treat. There is not a lot of scientific consensus on what CBD is effective for, nor conclusive suggestions on how much of a dose should be taken for therapeutic use.
Under the Trump administration, Radinovich described a double edged sword. He said that while the 2018 Farm Bill signed by the president has undoubtedly allowed hemp to go from a pilot program to a full-scale program, recent interim rules issued by the USDA for hemp could damage the industry.
The key issue in the new proposed rules: requiring fields to be tested within 15 days of harvest and tested in a lab registered by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). Advocates for the industry, like the Minnesota Hemp Association, say thats entirely untenable when compared to the current 30-day rule.Additionally, the new rules require that the crop cannot be harvested until the results are returned.
The proposed rules are extremely problematic for hemp farmers, said Radinovich. And in my opinion, represent a clear step backward from the pilot program rules that we were operating under here, at least in Minnesota.
Peterson echoed Radinovich. I appreciate USDAs work getting the rule out, but folks I talk to says it misses the mark for a workable program. Thats why pioneering states like Minnesota and Kentucky are choosing to operate under the authorities contained in the 2014 Farm Bill. I have concerns with guidance USDA issued on testing, sampling, and the involvement of the DEA, he said.
We need a program that will work for states and growers, and we arent there yet.
Read more here:
- The Roger Tory Peterson Institute is set to reopen next week, July 18 | News, Sports, Jobs - timesobserver.com - July 11th, 2020
- Arizona Cardinals 2020 cap hits: Patrick Peterson needs to show he can still be great - Revenge of the Birds - July 11th, 2020
- Peterson, Catherine M. - Press of Atlantic City - July 11th, 2020
- Pekins Peterson moves to IUPUI - Pekin Daily Times - July 11th, 2020
- Judge postpones execution of inmate who was set to be first federal prisoner put to death in 17 years - CNN - July 11th, 2020
- The Times recommends: Strom Peterson for the 21st Legislative District, Position 1 - Seattle Times - July 11th, 2020
- Peterson: Unique perspectives of Big Ten's non-conference football decision that engulfs Cy-Hawk - Des Moines Register - July 11th, 2020
- Beefed-up rosters give Cardinals opening to flex versatility, depth of bullpen - STLtoday.com - July 11th, 2020
- Peterson: No matter the obstacles and unknowns, Matt Campbell says his Cyclones will be ready - Des Moines Register - July 11th, 2020
- Riding the waves: Rock River Safety Patrol sees swell in summertime traffic - Daily Union - July 11th, 2020
- Robin Yvonne Ingbretson Peterson | Obituaries - Ashland Daily Press - July 11th, 2020
- Man accused of murder after body found at homeless camp in Mead - The Spokesman-Review - July 11th, 2020
- Peterson: Steve Prohm advocates players players utilizing their platform to bring much-needed social change - Ames Tribune - July 11th, 2020
- Riding the waves: Rock River Safety Patrol sees swell in summertime traffic - HNGnews.com - July 6th, 2020
- Some Unexpected Survey Results - The New York Times - July 6th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: Tim Peterson - Thoroughbred Daily News - July 6th, 2020
- They recall the turmoil of '68. Here's what they think of Black Lives Matter. - PublicSource - July 6th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson Trusted 'the Wrong People' and Ended Up With a Negative $4 Million Net Worth - Sportscasting - July 6th, 2020
- Peterson: This college football season will be different from broadcast, advertising perspective, too - Boone News-Republican - July 6th, 2020
- What Is the Real Deal at Jordan Peterson's Thinkspot? - Merion West - July 6th, 2020
- Cardinals lefty Andrew Miller: 'There's still some doubt we're going to have a season' - St. Louis Post-Dispatch - July 6th, 2020
- Detroit Perfume-Maker Says New Scents Will Help Us Move Past Pandemic - WDET - July 6th, 2020
- Analysts think Saquon Barkley could be the next Adrian Peterson - 247Sports - June 9th, 2020
- Is Saquon Barkley the next Adrian Peterson? - Giants Wire - June 9th, 2020
- Analyzing the NY Mets' Top 10 prospects: No. 6 David Peterson - NorthJersey.com - June 9th, 2020
- Redskins Adrian Peterson Says He Will Kneel During The National Anthem Without A Doubt - uSports.org - June 9th, 2020
- How Michigan couples are getting married - or not - during the coronavirus pandemic - MLive.com - June 9th, 2020
- Protesters Renew Demand To Change The Name Of Faneuil Hall - WBUR - June 9th, 2020
- Peterson: The things you won't see in 2020 | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - June 9th, 2020
- Peterson: Iowa football allegations show the societal impact empowered college athletes can have here and nationally - Des Moines Register - June 9th, 2020
- James Peterson elected to roadbuilders hall of fame - Daily Reporter - June 9th, 2020
- McKinnon to test knee in workouts with AP - NFL.com - May 9th, 2020
- Behind the scenes with retail reporter Hayley Peterson - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 9th, 2020
- YouTuber Coyote Peterson willingly got stung by a Murder Hornet and it seemed awful - The Cincinnati Enquirer - May 9th, 2020
- Student of the Week: Caley Peterson - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - May 9th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: Is there too much 'fuss' over first responders? - The Bakersfield Californian - May 9th, 2020
- Sebring quarterback headed to powerhouse program: Theyre going to get my 100% - WKBN.com - May 9th, 2020
- Restaurants begin opening to dine-in guests once again - Daily Journal Online - May 9th, 2020
- Dickinson surprises teacher, staff of the year with parade - The Dickinson Press - May 9th, 2020
- Apart.y Helps You Connect With Loved Ones From Afar - 5280 | The Denver Magazine - May 9th, 2020
- Some Children Diagnosed With Coronavirus Also Stricken By Inflammatory Syndrome - News On 6 - May 9th, 2020
- The Book-Length Critique of Jordan Peterson Isn't Perfect, Either - Merion West - May 9th, 2020
- What Hating Jordan Peterson Tells You (about yourself) - The Times of Israel - May 9th, 2020
- Bee Peterson: We want to work. We will do it safely. Let us help figure things out so we can reopen - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - April 27th, 2020
- Redskins Adrian Peterson reacts to Trent Williams trade with disappointment - ClutchPoints - April 27th, 2020
- The one player Michael Jordan was scared of in college? Buzz Peterson details it - The Athletic - April 27th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson can play with both Thaddeus and Randy Moss in career - Redskins Wire - April 27th, 2020
- KC DoorDash driver starts petition for hazard pay; what other companies are doing - KSHB - April 27th, 2020
- Nursing homes sounded the alarm weeks ago, knowing COVID-19 could be devastating - WTSP.com - April 27th, 2020
- Three from Central Missouri to be inducted into MIAA Hall of Fame - The Daily Star-Journal - April 27th, 2020
- Michael Jordan's 'last dance' at Carolina, through the eyes of his teammates - Winston-Salem Journal - April 27th, 2020
- The faces of adversity: Bemidji seniors mourn the death of a final season that never was - Bemidji Pioneer - April 27th, 2020
- Michael Jordan feared a certain NFL legend on the basketball court, according to his North Carolina roommate - CBS Sports - April 27th, 2020
- The economic fallout of COVID-19: Baxter Regional fights to survive - ktlo.com - April 27th, 2020
- Fighting the virus with personal freedom in socialist Sweden - Chicago Daily Herald - April 27th, 2020
- Maryann Plunkett, Liza Jessie Peterson and More to Appear on 10PM WITH GALINSKY - Broadway World - April 24th, 2020
- Politics behind the pandemic - WAOW - April 24th, 2020
- 'The Last Kids on Earth': Max Brallier and Scott Peterson on Season 2 and Beyond - Collider.com - April 24th, 2020
- Iowa State starts re-stocking what could be a depleted tight end position with immediately eligible transfer - Des Moines Register - April 24th, 2020
- Regis Jesuit alum David Peterson remains on track to make big-league debut for Mets in the near future - The Denver Post - April 2nd, 2020
- Peterson: Sports were better back in the day | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - April 2nd, 2020
- Vernon J. Peterson of WEC Energy Group is Appointed Chair of the 2020 MEA Board of Directors - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson vs Jadeveon Clowney: Who was the better recruit? - 247Sports - April 2nd, 2020
- Sundays With Mike: the Peterson Guide to Social Distancing - KMAland - April 2nd, 2020
- Eufaulas Peterson named Super 12 Player of the Year - Dothan Eagle - April 2nd, 2020
- Man accused of making bomb threat arrested - pvtimes.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Peterson establishes testing point to limit spread of COVID-19 - csmng - April 2nd, 2020
- Check Out This Virtual Tour Of The Peterson Automotive Museum - TheThings - April 2nd, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - March 17th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: Cardinals 'all in' this year and 'not done' - Cards Wire - March 17th, 2020
- Inside the Treatment of Jordan Peterson - InsideHook - March 17th, 2020
- Ron Rivera wants Adrian Peterson to set the tone for his Redskins - Redskins Wire - March 17th, 2020
- City of Florence announces modified operations to prevent the spread of coronavirus - SCNow - March 17th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor - Peterson has this Republican's vote - Crookston Daily Times - March 17th, 2020
- The Critics of Social Justice, from Jonah Goldberg to Jordan Peterson - Merion West - March 17th, 2020
- Former MTSU baseball coach Steve Peterson was a great coach, better man - Daily News Journal - March 17th, 2020
- Even Da Crusher is prepared for coronavirus. A South Milwaukee resident took photos of the statue with face mask and toilet paper. - Milwaukee Journal... - March 17th, 2020
- Local psychologist offers tips on how to protect your mental health, talk to kids during coronavirus outbreak - ABC 57 News - March 17th, 2020
- Rebecca Peterson: The goal is to join the Olympics and keep climbing all the time - Tennis World USA - March 17th, 2020
- Peterson: Dear IHSAA, what are we doing here? Limit or cancel the boys' tournament - Des Moines Register - March 17th, 2020