For many players on Washington Football Team's roster, the lack of a typical offseason almost certainly has done more harm than good. Washington has one of the youngest rosters in the NFL, full of players that could benefit from every rep that was lost with no minicamp, OTAs and preseason games.
However, the lack of team-organized football activities over the past four months due to the coronavirus pandemic was not the worst thing for one Washington player: Running back Adrian Peterson.
In a Zoom call with local reporters on Friday, Washington running backs coach Randy Jordan said he believes the extra time off for the veteran will actually "rejuvenate" Peterson for the upcoming season.
"In terms of a guy that is older, this is something I feel like will rejuvenate him and hell come back just like he normally does in shape and ready to go," Jordan said.
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TALK PODCAST
The running backs coach pointed to the two years of Peterson's career prior to joining Washington in 2018 as to why he feels the extended break could serve 'All Day' well.
In 2016, coming off a career-high in carries, Peterson suffered a torn meniscus, causing him to miss all but three games. In 2017, Peterson signed with the Saints, but only saw a handful of touches before getting traded to Arizona in Week 6. Over that two year span, Peterson had a total of just 193 carries, far less than he had during any singular season prior to that point.
"His longevity, people will not talk about this, is he had a stretch where he did not play a lot of football," Jordan said."In terms of that, he was able to pretty much get rejuvenated."
Peterson arrived in Washington the following season as a late camp addition. Frankly, Washington only signed the veteran back because then-rookie Derrius Guice suffered a torn ACL during the preseason.
Over the past two seasons, Peterson has been arguably Washington's most productive weapon on offense. In 2018, he immediately emerged as Washington's lead back and topped 1,000 yards for the eighth time in his career. Last year, he still finished with over 850 yards on the ground despite Washington having the lowest-scoring offense in the NFL.
Peterson's resume speaks for itself. He's a future Hall of Famer and arguably the best running back of the 21st century. He already ranks in the top 5 all-time for rushing yards and rushing touchdowns and will almost certainly moveup on both those lists before he hangs up the cleats.
However, while the running back may not want to admit it, very few running backs in the past have been productive at his current age. Peterson turned 35 in March. Only two running backs, John Henry Johnson and Washington great John Riggins, have topped the thousand-yard mark at age 35 or older.
Washington doesn't need Peterson to be a 1,000-yard rusher in 2020. Guice is fully healthy. Third-round pick Antonio Gibson has earned nothing but praise since arriving in Washington. Bryce Love hasfinally recovered from his knee injury in 2018, and the team signed two veterans, J.D. McKissic and Peyton Barber, in free agency.
But as Peterson has proved over the past two seasons, the inevitable 'Father Time' can wait a little longer. Jordan has little doubt that theageless wonder can still produce for Washington this season.
"When God made him, he just said 'hey, you a football player,'" Jordan said. "And gave him all the tools, the physical statue, the speed, the vision, being able to understand angles, a natural runner.Just God-given ability, things you cannot coach."
Stay connected to the team with the MyTeams app.Click hereto download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.
MORE WASHINGTON FOOTBALL NEWS:
Originally posted here:
- Peterson offers fresh perspective | Letters To The Editor - Mankato Free Press - October 10th, 2020
- President Trump & AG Barr Sued for Vindictive Prosecution Against Black Politician Robert Peterson & Fields Associates Announced today -... - October 10th, 2020
- Olson, Peterson inducted into York Area Ag Hall of Fame - York News-Times - October 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson and the Vikings Won an Ultra-Rare Tuesday Night Game in 2010 - Sportscasting - October 10th, 2020
- Things to Do in Miami: Karen Peterson and Dancers' Virtual 30th Anniversary - Miami New Times - October 10th, 2020
- Fantasy football fallout post-NFL roster cuts: Adrian Peterson, Antonio Gibson, Cam Akers and more | Fantasy Football News, Rankings and Projections -... - September 8th, 2020
- Former Vikings RB Adrian Peterson to sign with Lions - Vikings Wire - September 8th, 2020
- Will Adrian Peterson Be The Latest Addition To The Tom Brady Revolution In Tampa Bay? - Essentially Sports - September 8th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets shuffle starting rotation plans, including David Peterson to bullpen - Yahoo Sports - September 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson rushing to catch Emmitt Smith in record books - Richmond Free Press - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets pitcher Steven Matz is hearing the footsteps of David Peterson - Rising Apple - September 2nd, 2020
- Recent Graduate Receives Fulbright Grant to Teach in Spain - ISU Bengal Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Letter: Peterson | Letters To The Editor | record-eagle.com - Traverse City Record Eagle - September 2nd, 2020
- Peterson family named conservationists of the year in Rice County, Minn. - AberdeenNews.com - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson Believes He Still Has a Lot to Prove - NBC4 Washington - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson still out to prove something - WUSA9.com - August 31st, 2020
- Meet the MBA Class of 2022: Caroline Peterson, University of Texas (McCombs) - Poets&Quants - August 31st, 2020
- Bay Area air-quality forecast for the week ahead - SF Gate - August 31st, 2020
- What the hail? P-S GAR JA can offer help - csmng - August 31st, 2020
- Female Truckers to Honor Women's Suffrage on Trip - Transport Topics - August 31st, 2020
- Will County coroner announces retirement | The Herald-News - The Herald-News - August 31st, 2020
- Breaking down the Washington backfield for fantasy football: Can Adrian Peterson hold off Antonio Gibson and Bryce Love? | Fantasy Football News,... - August 10th, 2020
- Nielsen pulls ahead of Peterson in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 10th, 2020
- Metros Lynn Peterson offers to reduce payroll tax rate in transportation package if business group remains - OregonLive - August 10th, 2020
- High-throughput testing system latest addition to combat COVID-19 at LRMC - United States Army - August 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson has goals: Breaking Emmitt Smiths rushing record, and a championship - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Mobile COVID testing to soon hit the road in central Pa., will also deliver regular flu tests and shots - PennLive - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson: NCAA could be another casualty | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Andrew Peterson farm donations grind to a halt; funding in jeopardy - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Ducks in the show: Week Two - 247Sports - August 10th, 2020
- Rare tuna catch from shore attracts pack of giant roosters - For The Win - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson working to make sure HEROES Act ag provisions make it in final bill - brownfieldagnews.com - August 10th, 2020
- Controversial professor Jordan Peterson suffering with coronavirus and got worse after taking treatment dru - The Sun - August 10th, 2020
- David Peterson Continues Solid Stretch in Win Over Marlins - metsmerizedonline.com - August 10th, 2020
- Minnesota pastor appears on Penn and Teller's TV show | INFORUM - INFORUM - August 10th, 2020
- Professor Jordan Peterson reported to have COVID - The Bay Observer - Providing a Fresh Perspective for Hamilton and Burlington - August 10th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: Can trees, newspapers and Trump get any respect? - The Bakersfield Californian - August 10th, 2020
- Mets' Peterson getting more comfortable with every start - Newsday - August 9th, 2020
- 'Burnt orange runs through my veins': Westlake's Blake Peterson to play baseball at Texas - Hookem.com - August 9th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson reflects on favorite run of career back in 2009 - Vikings Wire - August 9th, 2020
- Bus driver shortages occurring locally due to pandemic - Picayune Item - Picayune Item - August 9th, 2020
- Peterson reports just five hospitalized from Kerr County with COVID-19 - dailytimes.com - August 8th, 2020
- Lake View City Officials Pleased To Announce New Lagoon Is Now Effectively Treating Wastewater - 1380 KCIM - August 8th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 6th, 2020
- Nebraska AG Peterson Joins Bipartisan Coalition Urging Federal Government Action - STL.News - August 6th, 2020
- Lady Panthers volleyball camp integrates young players into the program - Liberty Hill Independent - August 6th, 2020
- 'Siesta Key': Fans Think Kelsey Owens Wanted to Dump Garrett Miller and Get Back With Jake Peterson All Along - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 6th, 2020
- Investigation into Cottonwood Heights Police regarding 'use of force,' policy reform discussions underway - fox13now.com - August 6th, 2020
- More travelers are flying in and out of Yakima, leading Alaska Airlines to add a 2nd daily flight - Yakima Herald-Republic - August 6th, 2020
- PALERMO. Camila Giorgi surprises Peterson in the 1st round. HIGHLIGHTS - Tennis Tonic - August 6th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race. Here's a closer look at mayoral and council results - AZCentral - August 5th, 2020
- Peterson concerned about COVID-19, 'but work is work' - NBC Sports Washington - August 5th, 2020
- Angler Shows the Benefits of Fishing With a 'Tiny Child Rig' and What it Looks Like Underwater - Wide Open Country - August 5th, 2020
- Bush shocks Clay in congressional primary: 'We the people have answers' - Cherokee Tribune Ledger News - August 5th, 2020
- Robin Peterson Reveals He Was Once Called The 'K-Word' By A Former South African Cricketer - Cricket Addictor - August 4th, 2020
- Peterson: Who wants to clean up this mess? - Vail Daily News - August 4th, 2020
- FARMERS FROM GEORGIA AND ALABAMA MEET WITH FARMERS IN THE CROOKSTON AREA - kroxam.com - August 4th, 2020
- Washington Football News: Alex Smith part of Washingtons equation at QB when healthy; Love, Guice and Pete - Hogs Haven - August 3rd, 2020
- BWW Interview: Jon Peterson of P3 Theatre Company on Presenting Streaming Performances of Tour-de-Farce Comedy GREATER TUNA - Broadway World - August 3rd, 2020
- Suspects in Monroe officer's line-of-duty shooting appear in court - WTOL - August 3rd, 2020
- Mets vs. Red Sox recap: The Mets beatdown in Beantown continues - Amazin' Avenue - August 3rd, 2020
- No mass shootings in the U.S. since the pandemic started what about once its over? - ABC27 - August 3rd, 2020
- Friends and family remember Amy Gibson on one year anniversary of shooting at Dawson fire station - Forsyth County News Online - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson wins MLB debut as Mets beat Red Sox 8-3 - theday.com - July 31st, 2020
- Flight Works Alabama is a new airspace exhibition and education center in Mobile - WKRG News 5 - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson Ridge has a new trailheadwith parking and bathrooms | Go Here | Bend - The Source Weekly - July 31st, 2020
- Man accused of shooting tenants' AC with shotgun - Rutland Herald - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson: Last call for the Top 120 of 2020 - The Topeka Capital-Journal - July 31st, 2020
- 'Voire Dire': How the Portage County Circuit Court inspired an opera, and now a CD - Stevens Point Journal - July 29th, 2020
- Brett Favre Gave Adrian Peterson the Motivation to Keep Playing - Sportscasting - July 29th, 2020
- Rookie David Peterson in the conversation to join Mets rotation - New York Post - July 28th, 2020
- Hello Idaho: The Speedy Foundation continues to offer guidance surrounding suicide prevention - KTVB.com - July 28th, 2020
- Peterson: Re-discovering that theres no one-size-fits-all for college football - Des Moines Register - July 28th, 2020
- Athlete of the Week: Dylan Peterson - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - July 28th, 2020
- After 30 Years, Making Accessibility Information Accessible - Forbes - July 28th, 2020
- 5-year-old boy severely injured after being run over during camping trip - East Idaho News - July 28th, 2020
- Allison Peterson Named Region 15 Secondary Teacher of the Year - Standard-Times - July 28th, 2020
- SAISD: Allison Peterson Named Region 15 Secondary Teacher of the Year - ConchoValleyHomepage.com - July 26th, 2020
- Millie Peterson - Antioch On The Move - July 26th, 2020