The Scottish government has set an ambitious new target to increase its offshore wind capacity to power more than eight million homes.
The plan will see hundreds of new wind turbines installed off the Scottish coast, and increase existing offshore capacity to 11 gigawatts (GW) by the end of the decade.-
In addition to providing clean energy and helping the country hit net-zero emissions, the target will drive a green recovery from the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, with greater investment in the sector creating more jobs, the Scottish government said.
The capacity of Scotland's offshore wind production is currently 1GW and there are already developments underway to bring this up to 5.6GW.
Scotlands energy minister, Paul Wheelhouse, said the plan marked a pivotal moment for the expansion of Scotlands offshore operations.
He said: Our seas are host to some of the best offshore wind resources in the world, and our ambition to capitalise on our offshore wind generation capacity is part of the bold action we are taking to support economic recovery and become a net-zero society.
The Scottish government is determined to drive a green economic recovery with investment in renewable energy at the heart of it. We want to harness Scotlands enviable wind resource for our energy system and unlock significant investment in the supply chain to create more green jobs across the sector.
In a ministerial foreword to the plans, Mr Wheelhouse wrote: The targets represent a huge shift away from established norms, and the way in which we live and work.
The target comes after UK prime minister Borish Johnson told the Conservative Party conference earlier this month he wanted to make the UK the Saudi Arabia of wind, and said the sector would provide hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of jobs.
We believe that in 10 years time, offshore wind will be powering every home in the country, with our target rising from 30 gigawatts to 40 gigawatts, he said.
Ben Miller, senior policy manager at Scottish Renewables, said the ambition set out by the Scottish government was a milestone moment, but warned there is much work to do, to hit the target, and expressed disappointment not all the recommendations in a draft plan for offshore expansion were included in the governments announcement.
He said: If we are to deliver on those stretching climate targets its imperative that we use every tool in our armoury and continue to work together to find creative solutions to the further deployment of the cheap, popular renewable energy technologies which are already delivering environmental and economic benefits across Scotland."
WWF Scotland called on Mr Johnsons administration to work closely with the Scottish government to make sure the investment in wind benefits local people economically.
Fabrice Leveque, head of policy at WWF Scotland said: Offshore wind is already powering hundreds of thousands of Scottish homes and this new plan will help grow an industry thats vital to reach net-zero climate emissions by 2045.
Each project creates hundreds of jobs and can help put Scotland on a path to a green recovery. In order to ensure local communities and businesses benefit, its imperative the UK and Scottish Governments work closely together to ensure as much work as possible goes to local supply chains.
Originally posted here:
- The U.S. Just Set Ambitious Offshore Wind Power Targets What Will It Take to Meet Them? - GovExec.com - April 5th, 2021
- Renewed interest in offshore wind energy could bring a site to the Central Coast - KSBY San Luis Obispo News - April 5th, 2021
- Offshore flow and high pressure will bring daytime highs up to the 80s across the central coast Wednesday - KSBY San Luis Obispo News - April 5th, 2021
- Norway readies first offshore wind tenders to spur oil industry transition - Reuters - April 5th, 2021
- Orsted to link a huge offshore wind farm to 'renewable' hydrogen production - CNBC - April 5th, 2021
- Offshore flow will bring continued warming ahead of a cooler weekend - KSBY San Luis Obispo News - April 5th, 2021
- Business Report: Health care systems expanding, government contracts, offshore wind projects | Video - NJ Spotlight - April 5th, 2021
- Orsted Proposes Hydrogen Hub Combining Offshore Wind at North Sea Port - The Maritime Executive - April 5th, 2021
- Outlook on the Offshore Oil and Gas Seismic Equipment and Acquisitions Global Market to 2025 - Growing Demand for Oil and Natural Gas is Driving the... - April 5th, 2021
- The 2 Nations Driving The Recovery In Offshore Oil - OilPrice.com - April 5th, 2021
- Fishing gear removed from path of offshore wind project survey - Bangor Daily News - April 5th, 2021
- Offshore gas finds offered major promise for Mozambique: what went wrong - The Conversation CA - April 5th, 2021
- Multinationals shifted $1 trillion offshore, stripping countries of billions in tax revenues, study says - ICIJ - ICIJ.org - April 5th, 2021
- Why Asia's coming offshore wind boom can't just be a carbon copy of Europe's | Recharge - Recharge - April 5th, 2021
- 'Big Oil's push into offshore wind could threaten the long-term viability of the sector' | Recharge - Recharge - April 5th, 2021
- New London reacts to President Bidens plan to help offshore wind industry - WTNH.com - April 5th, 2021
- TechnipFMC and Bombora Launch Floating Wave and Wind Project - Offshore WIND - April 5th, 2021
- Atlantic Shores Offshore Wind Responds to Biden Administration Plan to Create Tens of Thousands of Green Jobs and Strengthen Renewable Infrastructure... - April 5th, 2021
- Offshore occupational health and safety inspections possibly by year-end - Demerara Waves Online News Guyana - April 5th, 2021
- Austal USA Expanding to Make Steel Ships; Yard Looks to Bid on Coast Guard Offshore Patrol Cutter, Navy Light Amphib Programs - USNI News - USNI News - April 5th, 2021
- Ampelmann Scores Five Offshore Taiwan - Offshore WIND - April 5th, 2021
- Oil Companies BP and Total Win Offshore Wind Leases in Britain - The New York Times - February 15th, 2021
- New legislation would mandate shift to offshore wind production - KTVU San Francisco - February 15th, 2021
- Is This The Best Way For Offshore Producers To Raise Production - OilPrice.com - February 15th, 2021
- Offshore Wind Positioned To Take Off Under Biden - JD Supra - February 15th, 2021
- State bill introduced to jumpstart offshore wind on Central Coast - KSBY San Luis Obispo News - February 15th, 2021
- Offshore Air Handling Units Market Report 2016 Includes Growth by Global with Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Key Vendors, Drivers and... - February 15th, 2021
- Offshore wind expert Ohleth named executive director at SIOW - ROI-NJ.com - February 15th, 2021
- Construction of World's Largest Offshore Wind Farm Stays On Track - Offshore WIND - February 15th, 2021
- Offshore yuan, CNH, gains further, to its highest since mid-2018 - ForexLive - February 15th, 2021
- rsted and PGE joint venture to develop offshore wind projects in Poland - Power Technology - February 15th, 2021
- South Korea to Build World's Largest Offshore Wind Farm by 2030 - The Deep Dive - February 15th, 2021
- Two young kkp found dead on offshore islands - Stuff.co.nz - February 15th, 2021
- Crowley Announces Offshore Wind Energy Partnership with Watco gCaptain - gcaptain.com - February 15th, 2021
- SSE Renewables and ODE Team Up Offshore UK and Ireland - Offshore WIND - February 15th, 2021
- New offshore wind training facility could bring a boost to Salisbury's economy - 47abc - WMDT - February 15th, 2021
- Dominion files plans with federal regulators for 2.6 GW offshore wind project, largest in US to date - Utility Dive - December 22nd, 2020
- Federal stimulus includes wind, solar tax credit extensions, adds first US offshore wind tax credit - Utility Dive - December 22nd, 2020
- Eni and PTTEP Awarded Third Block Offshore UAE - Journal of Petroleum Technology - December 22nd, 2020
- NOV to upgrade Wind Orca's crane | Offshore - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - December 22nd, 2020
- GE's huge wind turbines to power 'world's biggest offshore wind farm' | TheHill - The Hill - December 22nd, 2020
- Why Offshore Wind and Energy Giants Are Chasing Off-Grid Green Hydrogen - Greentech Media News - December 22nd, 2020
- Study 'to help Scots businesses win global offshore work' - reNEWS - December 22nd, 2020
- GE's giant turbines will power final phase of the 'world's biggest offshore wind farm' - CNBC - December 22nd, 2020
- Iberdrola to acquire stake in offshore wind projects developer Sea Wind - Power Technology - December 22nd, 2020
- Edison Chouest Offshore to Install First Battery Pack on a Jones Act PSV - gcaptain.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Heerema and Safeway Team Up Offshore Taiwan - Offshore WIND - December 22nd, 2020
- Rossi relishing new venture into offshore sailing - International Sailing Federation - December 22nd, 2020
- Scorpio Bulkers Takes $500M Writedown to Shift to Offshore Wind Sector - The Maritime Executive - December 22nd, 2020
- Offshore wind in its sails - WorkBoat - December 22nd, 2020
- Dominion Gathers Jones Act Wind Turbine Installation Vessel Team - Offshore WIND - December 22nd, 2020
- Scottish policy 'a vote of confidence' in offshore wind and green hydrogen - Riviera Maritime Media - December 22nd, 2020
- Japan aims to be world's No. 3 offshore wind power producer in 2040 - The Japan Times - December 22nd, 2020
- North Sea Statfjord st partners sanction further wells - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - December 22nd, 2020
- Boohoo owner tells MPs he could easily 'take business offshore' - The Guardian - December 22nd, 2020
- Sale of the offshore construction & cable-lay vessel Connector - PRNewswire - December 5th, 2020
- Coalition of Florida businesses call on Congress to oppose offshore finfish farming - WMNF - WMNF - December 5th, 2020
- US Wind Names Offshore Wind Pioneer Jeff Grybowski as CEO - Business Wire - December 5th, 2020
- With offshore wind, Virginia hopes a 21st-century manufacturing boom will offset a hefty price tag - Virginia Mercury - December 5th, 2020
- An offshore wind farm with the ability to power one million households' is fully up and running - CNBC - December 5th, 2020
- 'Truly incredible': Missing Florida boater found alive clinging to capsized vessel 86 miles offshore - USA TODAY - December 5th, 2020
- GLDD plans to build offshore wind rock installation vessel - Marine Log - December 5th, 2020
- Global Offshore Wind Cable Market 2020-2024: COVID-19 Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, and Threats - Technavio - Business Wire - December 5th, 2020
- US Offshore Wind Industry Getting First Subsea Rock Installation Vessel - Offshore WIND - December 5th, 2020
- EGEB: US offshore wind workers to get virtual reality training in Maryland - Electrek - December 5th, 2020
- Boskalis Boosts Its Offshore Wind Fleet with Boka Tiamat - Offshore WIND - December 5th, 2020
- Touting Potential Economic Benefits, Crescent City Harbor District Commissions Offshore Wind Energy Study - Lost Coast Outpost - December 5th, 2020
- RWE eyes 'sizeable positions' in East Asian and US offshore wind markets - Recharge - December 5th, 2020
- RWE plans to produce hydrogen directly at pilot offshore wind turbines in Germany - Recharge - December 5th, 2020
- Dry conditions and warmer daytime highs remain in the forecast as offshore flow continues - KSBY San Luis Obispo News - December 5th, 2020
- The Global Offshore Wind Turbine Market is expected to grow by 54975 MT during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 24% during the forecast period -... - December 5th, 2020
- Breezy offshore flow will keep daytime highs above average Tuesday - KSBY San Luis Obispo News - December 5th, 2020
- What are offshore renewables? And how do they work? - Euronews - December 5th, 2020
- Australia looks offshore with overseas students' return uncertain - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 5th, 2020
- Construction of Les Alizs Begins - Offshore WIND - December 5th, 2020
- Japan Launches First Fixed Bottom Offshore Wind Auction - Offshore WIND - December 5th, 2020
- 1400 GW of offshore wind achievable by 2050 | theenergyst.com - The Energyst - December 5th, 2020
- Orange Targets Offshore Wind with New Cable Vessel - Offshore WIND - December 5th, 2020
- Douglas Todd: Offshore investor of $45 million in Vancouver housing claims fraud - Vancouver Sun - December 5th, 2020
- Vestas to Acquire Full Control Of Offshore Turbine Business - Greentech Media News - October 29th, 2020