British oil and gas supermajor BP has been making significant headway into the renewable and alternative energy space, and this week the company hinted at further such expansion with plans for the short- and long-term to explore moves in to both offshore wind and hydrogen.
In comments made during the companys third-quarter results call, BPs CEO, Bernard Looney, offered up some hints of the companys future direction.
During the call, Looney highlighted many of the renewable projects the company is already involved in around the world. Two major announcements were highlighted, including the July signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with leading solar project developer JinkoPower Technology to provide integrated decarbonized energy solutions and services to customers, further supporting Chinas aim of reaching 50% of power generation from non-fossil fuels by 2030.
Additionally, Looney highlighted a September strategic partnership with American technology giant Microsoft to develop new technology innovations and digital solutions to help meet their sustainability aims, including reducing energy use and carbon emissions.
Despite its long history as a major carbon emissions polluter, BP has nevertheless been demonstrating the need for the past to be left in the past, and focusing on the future. In February, the company announced an ambitious plan to become a net zero company by 2050 or sooner, and to help the world get to net zero. Since then, BP has been putting its money where its mouth is.
In August, BP announced plans to transition the company into an integrated energy company with plans to increase low-carbon investment 10-fold and build out a 50GW renewable generating capacity by 2030.
BP has been an international oil company for over a century defined by two core commodities produced by two core businesses,said Helge Lund, BPs Chairman, speaking in August.
Now we are pivoting to become an integrated energy company from IOC to IEC.From a company driven by the production of resources to one that thats focused on delivering energy solutions for customers.
Energy markets are fundamentally changing, shifting towards low carbon, driven by societal expectations, technology and changes in consumer preferences. And in these transforming markets, bp can compete and create value, based on our skills, experience and relationships, he said.
We are confident that the decisions we have taken and the strategy we are setting out today are right for bp, for our shareholders, and for wider society.
BP announced that it would immediately move to increase its investments in low carbon technologies 10-fold to around $US5 billion per year by 2030, preceded by an 8-fold increase by 2025. The company will seek to build out an integrated portfolio of low carbon technologies such as renewable energy, bioenergy, as well as early positions in hydrogen and CCUS (Carbon Capture, Utilisation, and Storage).
The first hints of this redirection for BP came in the companys third-quarter earnings call with reporters.
Highlighting the companys September signing of a strategic partnership with Equinor to enter the US offshore wind market, BP CEO Looney explained that the company will probably bid on offshore wind license rounds in the next six months.
According to Looney, Equinor has already submitted bids in the New York second round offshore wind round, in which the state is accepting proposals for up to 2.5GW of offshore wind.
Looney also added that the company has a net pipeline of low-carbon buildout of around 10GW, and options on another 21GW. As such, BP is confident it will be able to hit its target of 20GW low carbon capacity by 2025, as revealed by BP executive vice president Dev Sanyal in September.
In responding to a question about the companys plans regarding hydrogen, Looney spoke about a recent trip to Germany in which he met with people from German automotive giant Daimler, as well as people in the German government, all of whom are focusing on the important role hydrogen will have for the German economy.
Looney has said that Germany is setting up agreements to become a hydrogen importing country with Australia as well as countries in the Middle East.
As for BP, Looney explained that hydrogen is a core part of what we believe in for the future but that hydrogen will emerge as a BP business post-2030 rather than anytime soon.
When it does get around to incorporating hydrogen as a major component of the companys business, BP will look to be supplying hydrogen to heavy industry and for power, and will incorporate a mixture of green hydrogen, made from renewables, and blue hydrogen, made from natural gas.
However, even though hydrogen is a longer-term goal for BP, Looney explained that the company is already looking at a green hydrogen project in Lingen in Germany which would supply one of the companys German refineries.
BP also expects hydrogen to be the fuel of choice for heavy duty transport over the medium term, a role it will therefore explore further.
According to Looney, we believe in hydrogen, but its not going to be a material part of BP in the next 3 years or 4 years, but it could easily be a material part and I expect it will be in the period 2030 plus and will incorporate a mixture of heavy industry and power, as well as heavy duty transport. Looney also promised more information about its hydrogen ambitions in the coming months, and certainly as we head into 2021.
- The U.S. Just Set Ambitious Offshore Wind Power Targets What Will It Take to Meet Them? - GovExec.com - April 5th, 2021
- Renewed interest in offshore wind energy could bring a site to the Central Coast - KSBY San Luis Obispo News - April 5th, 2021
- Offshore flow and high pressure will bring daytime highs up to the 80s across the central coast Wednesday - KSBY San Luis Obispo News - April 5th, 2021
- Norway readies first offshore wind tenders to spur oil industry transition - Reuters - April 5th, 2021
- Orsted to link a huge offshore wind farm to 'renewable' hydrogen production - CNBC - April 5th, 2021
- Offshore flow will bring continued warming ahead of a cooler weekend - KSBY San Luis Obispo News - April 5th, 2021
- Business Report: Health care systems expanding, government contracts, offshore wind projects | Video - NJ Spotlight - April 5th, 2021
- Orsted Proposes Hydrogen Hub Combining Offshore Wind at North Sea Port - The Maritime Executive - April 5th, 2021
- Outlook on the Offshore Oil and Gas Seismic Equipment and Acquisitions Global Market to 2025 - Growing Demand for Oil and Natural Gas is Driving the... - April 5th, 2021
- The 2 Nations Driving The Recovery In Offshore Oil - OilPrice.com - April 5th, 2021
- Fishing gear removed from path of offshore wind project survey - Bangor Daily News - April 5th, 2021
- Offshore gas finds offered major promise for Mozambique: what went wrong - The Conversation CA - April 5th, 2021
- Multinationals shifted $1 trillion offshore, stripping countries of billions in tax revenues, study says - ICIJ - ICIJ.org - April 5th, 2021
- Why Asia's coming offshore wind boom can't just be a carbon copy of Europe's | Recharge - Recharge - April 5th, 2021
- 'Big Oil's push into offshore wind could threaten the long-term viability of the sector' | Recharge - Recharge - April 5th, 2021
- New London reacts to President Bidens plan to help offshore wind industry - WTNH.com - April 5th, 2021
- TechnipFMC and Bombora Launch Floating Wave and Wind Project - Offshore WIND - April 5th, 2021
- Atlantic Shores Offshore Wind Responds to Biden Administration Plan to Create Tens of Thousands of Green Jobs and Strengthen Renewable Infrastructure... - April 5th, 2021
- Offshore occupational health and safety inspections possibly by year-end - Demerara Waves Online News Guyana - April 5th, 2021
- Austal USA Expanding to Make Steel Ships; Yard Looks to Bid on Coast Guard Offshore Patrol Cutter, Navy Light Amphib Programs - USNI News - USNI News - April 5th, 2021
- Ampelmann Scores Five Offshore Taiwan - Offshore WIND - April 5th, 2021
- Oil Companies BP and Total Win Offshore Wind Leases in Britain - The New York Times - February 15th, 2021
- New legislation would mandate shift to offshore wind production - KTVU San Francisco - February 15th, 2021
- Is This The Best Way For Offshore Producers To Raise Production - OilPrice.com - February 15th, 2021
- Offshore Wind Positioned To Take Off Under Biden - JD Supra - February 15th, 2021
- State bill introduced to jumpstart offshore wind on Central Coast - KSBY San Luis Obispo News - February 15th, 2021
- Offshore Air Handling Units Market Report 2016 Includes Growth by Global with Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Key Vendors, Drivers and... - February 15th, 2021
- Offshore wind expert Ohleth named executive director at SIOW - ROI-NJ.com - February 15th, 2021
- Construction of World's Largest Offshore Wind Farm Stays On Track - Offshore WIND - February 15th, 2021
- Offshore yuan, CNH, gains further, to its highest since mid-2018 - ForexLive - February 15th, 2021
- rsted and PGE joint venture to develop offshore wind projects in Poland - Power Technology - February 15th, 2021
- South Korea to Build World's Largest Offshore Wind Farm by 2030 - The Deep Dive - February 15th, 2021
- Two young kkp found dead on offshore islands - Stuff.co.nz - February 15th, 2021
- Crowley Announces Offshore Wind Energy Partnership with Watco gCaptain - gcaptain.com - February 15th, 2021
- SSE Renewables and ODE Team Up Offshore UK and Ireland - Offshore WIND - February 15th, 2021
- New offshore wind training facility could bring a boost to Salisbury's economy - 47abc - WMDT - February 15th, 2021
- Dominion files plans with federal regulators for 2.6 GW offshore wind project, largest in US to date - Utility Dive - December 22nd, 2020
- Federal stimulus includes wind, solar tax credit extensions, adds first US offshore wind tax credit - Utility Dive - December 22nd, 2020
- Eni and PTTEP Awarded Third Block Offshore UAE - Journal of Petroleum Technology - December 22nd, 2020
- NOV to upgrade Wind Orca's crane | Offshore - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - December 22nd, 2020
- GE's huge wind turbines to power 'world's biggest offshore wind farm' | TheHill - The Hill - December 22nd, 2020
- Why Offshore Wind and Energy Giants Are Chasing Off-Grid Green Hydrogen - Greentech Media News - December 22nd, 2020
- Study 'to help Scots businesses win global offshore work' - reNEWS - December 22nd, 2020
- GE's giant turbines will power final phase of the 'world's biggest offshore wind farm' - CNBC - December 22nd, 2020
- Iberdrola to acquire stake in offshore wind projects developer Sea Wind - Power Technology - December 22nd, 2020
- Edison Chouest Offshore to Install First Battery Pack on a Jones Act PSV - gcaptain.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Heerema and Safeway Team Up Offshore Taiwan - Offshore WIND - December 22nd, 2020
- Rossi relishing new venture into offshore sailing - International Sailing Federation - December 22nd, 2020
- Scorpio Bulkers Takes $500M Writedown to Shift to Offshore Wind Sector - The Maritime Executive - December 22nd, 2020
- Offshore wind in its sails - WorkBoat - December 22nd, 2020
- Dominion Gathers Jones Act Wind Turbine Installation Vessel Team - Offshore WIND - December 22nd, 2020
- Scottish policy 'a vote of confidence' in offshore wind and green hydrogen - Riviera Maritime Media - December 22nd, 2020
- Japan aims to be world's No. 3 offshore wind power producer in 2040 - The Japan Times - December 22nd, 2020
- North Sea Statfjord st partners sanction further wells - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - December 22nd, 2020
- Boohoo owner tells MPs he could easily 'take business offshore' - The Guardian - December 22nd, 2020
- Sale of the offshore construction & cable-lay vessel Connector - PRNewswire - December 5th, 2020
- Coalition of Florida businesses call on Congress to oppose offshore finfish farming - WMNF - WMNF - December 5th, 2020
- US Wind Names Offshore Wind Pioneer Jeff Grybowski as CEO - Business Wire - December 5th, 2020
- With offshore wind, Virginia hopes a 21st-century manufacturing boom will offset a hefty price tag - Virginia Mercury - December 5th, 2020
- An offshore wind farm with the ability to power one million households' is fully up and running - CNBC - December 5th, 2020
- 'Truly incredible': Missing Florida boater found alive clinging to capsized vessel 86 miles offshore - USA TODAY - December 5th, 2020
- GLDD plans to build offshore wind rock installation vessel - Marine Log - December 5th, 2020
- Global Offshore Wind Cable Market 2020-2024: COVID-19 Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, and Threats - Technavio - Business Wire - December 5th, 2020
- US Offshore Wind Industry Getting First Subsea Rock Installation Vessel - Offshore WIND - December 5th, 2020
- EGEB: US offshore wind workers to get virtual reality training in Maryland - Electrek - December 5th, 2020
- Boskalis Boosts Its Offshore Wind Fleet with Boka Tiamat - Offshore WIND - December 5th, 2020
- Touting Potential Economic Benefits, Crescent City Harbor District Commissions Offshore Wind Energy Study - Lost Coast Outpost - December 5th, 2020
- RWE eyes 'sizeable positions' in East Asian and US offshore wind markets - Recharge - December 5th, 2020
- RWE plans to produce hydrogen directly at pilot offshore wind turbines in Germany - Recharge - December 5th, 2020
- Dry conditions and warmer daytime highs remain in the forecast as offshore flow continues - KSBY San Luis Obispo News - December 5th, 2020
- The Global Offshore Wind Turbine Market is expected to grow by 54975 MT during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 24% during the forecast period -... - December 5th, 2020
- Breezy offshore flow will keep daytime highs above average Tuesday - KSBY San Luis Obispo News - December 5th, 2020
- What are offshore renewables? And how do they work? - Euronews - December 5th, 2020
- Australia looks offshore with overseas students' return uncertain - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 5th, 2020
- Construction of Les Alizs Begins - Offshore WIND - December 5th, 2020
- Japan Launches First Fixed Bottom Offshore Wind Auction - Offshore WIND - December 5th, 2020
- 1400 GW of offshore wind achievable by 2050 | theenergyst.com - The Energyst - December 5th, 2020
- Orange Targets Offshore Wind with New Cable Vessel - Offshore WIND - December 5th, 2020
- Douglas Todd: Offshore investor of $45 million in Vancouver housing claims fraud - Vancouver Sun - December 5th, 2020
- Vestas to Acquire Full Control Of Offshore Turbine Business - Greentech Media News - October 29th, 2020