Graphic courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
KARLI SCOTT | OPINION COLUMNIST | firstname.lastname@example.org
Although it is embarrassing to admit that I frequent the app commonly known for manufacturing the infamous e-boys and VSCO girls, TikTok does tend to be my go-to form of entertainment on those bored Thursday nights when I have nothing better to do.
Being as most TikTok videos are 15 seconds or less, the app provides a fast and casual viewing experience for the distracted minds of todays youth. TikTok acts as an escape from the typical pressures of social media, as there is no requirement for being or looking perfect while making TikToks.
I, along with many other TikTok users, enjoy the simplicity of the app. Tara Poindexter, a first-year biology and French major, admires the spontaneous creative process behind TikTok making.
I feel like its definitely more casual, Poindexter said. You can put anything on TikTok.
All there is to it is hitting record for a few seconds and pressing upload no excessive editing, quirky captions or insecurities expected. Some people may choose to do creative transitions or fun text inserts, but most use the simple and straight-forward tools built into the app. Producing a high-quality TikTok is not crucial, as the only people you personally know who will be seeing it are close friends with whom you have entrusted with your username. That is, unless your video is good enough to make it to the For You page.
The For You page, better described as the Wild West of the internet, recommends suitable videos to the user. I dont intend to fall into the rabbit hole of endlessly scrolling through the For You page every night, but it often happens nevertheless.
When first downloading the app, it takes a bit of an adjustment period for the algorithm to understand the users humor, interests and preferences. This is the toughest hurdle to jump over for new TikTok users, as they are often discouraged by the uncomfortable amount of cringey lip-syncing or awkward comedy skits.
Since TikTok was formerly named Musical.ly, the two versions of the app still blur together every now and again. Musical.ly now has the legacy of being the more embarrassing, less evolved version of TikTok. Musical.ly was filled with many more music-based videos focused on lip-syncing and dancing, while TikTok is more so considered a comedy app than anything else.
TikTok videos go viral with relative ease, even some filmed right here on Butlers campus. Erin Giesler, a first-year psychology major, filmed a TikTok in Irvington House with her visiting friend about asking to borrow a hoodie. The brief video, posted on her friends account, now has over 1.6 million views and 455.2k likes.
I didnt even realize it had a million views, Giesler said in reference to the TikTok.
It is absolutely mind-boggling to think about the fact that it is possible to go viral and not even know it, but anything is possible on the platform. TikTok fame is subjectively easy to come by, with many clips gaining attention only a few hours after being uploaded. There are so many normal, everyday people who become TikTok influencers in a matter of days.
Saying that TikTok is Vine 2 is very controversial, but I believe it wholeheartedly. Many protectors of Vines legacy would scoff at the statement. They would be offended by the suggestion that something anything could come close to the greatness of Vine. To that, I say that TikTok, too, provides a haven of good times and laughter. The number of niches on TikTok are endless. From catchy dances to college-related comedy to outfit inspiration to anime, there is something for everybody.
I do understand hesitations in trusting the app in light of current events. There have been privacy concerns as of late regarding the speculation of the China-based owners censoring content and exercising surveillance through TikTok. Similarly to the Facebook privacy issues, TikTok is now under a lot of scrutiny. The company has denied the accusations and claims all data collected on US citizens remains in the US. This problem does not bother me nor most of TikToks young audience as internet privacy is not one of the younger generations biggest concerns. We have been desensitized to internet safety issues having grown up with them, and the entertainment value of TikTok often outweighs the risks.
To all those TikTok skeptics out there whose only second thoughts are that it is just some childish app not worth downloading, I would advise that you give it a go. It is the perfect guilty pleasure for the trendy and modern technology user. The app provides a form of entertainment unique from all others that is not to be overlooked.
TikTok surpasses the bounds of traditional social media and provides us all with a space for creativity, community and laughter. It is the perfect space to let your metaphorical hair down and forget your strife.
- Mind uploading | Transhumanism Wiki | Fandom - January 28th, 2020
- Mind uploading - RationalWiki - January 28th, 2020
- Q&A: AI and the Future of Your Mind - UConn Today - January 28th, 2020
- No, A VR Developer Did Not Confirm PSVR 2 Is Coming This Year - UploadVR - January 28th, 2020
- Blizzard Developers Once Prototyped A VR Version Of Hearthstone - UploadVR - January 28th, 2020
- Is Article Spinning Just the Same as Article Rewriting - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - January 28th, 2020
- 5 ways to be a bit safer this Data Privacy Day - Naked Security - January 28th, 2020
- Checklist: Things to do before the end of the tax year - Moneyweb.co.za - January 28th, 2020
- Ohio Loses Its Mind Over The Death of Mr. Peanut - wkfr.com - January 28th, 2020
- From Meme Tablet to Everyday Computer, the iPad Changed the Way I Work Completely - Wccftech - January 28th, 2020
- 26-million Americans expected to bet on SuperBowl. Don't go overboard - wobm.com - January 28th, 2020
- Clearview app is able to know everything about you with a single photo - Inceptive Mind - January 28th, 2020
- Super Bowl LIV Predictions from Experts and Comedians - Football Absurdity - January 28th, 2020
- How to get 10 FREE fuel at supermarket petrol stations this weekend - The Sun - December 28th, 2019
- What About Kaep? Twitter Reacts To Antonio Brown's NFL Workout Amid Sex Assault Allegations - News One - December 28th, 2019
- Stranger Things Season 4 New Faces Are Joining the Cast - Upload Comet - December 28th, 2019
- Want to Save Money on Your Adobe Subscription? Try This Simple Trick - Fstoppers - December 28th, 2019
- Dual Axis: Find out why People can't Stop Talking about the Best illusion of 2019! - Digital Information World - December 28th, 2019
- Are you on a weight reduction undertaking? Whip up those soups this wintry weather - Health Writeups - December 28th, 2019
- Why This Comedian Wants to Be Every Instagay's Gay Fat Friend - NewNowNext - December 26th, 2019
- 9 Commandments for Using Chatbots to Deliver Great Content Experience - MarTech Advisor - December 26th, 2019
- Sony just unveiled a new controller innovation that will launch before the PS5 - BGR - December 18th, 2019
- Twitter to Retain the Quality of JPEG Images Uploaded on Web Moving Forward! - Digital Information World - December 18th, 2019
- LIFESTYLE Finding the light - The Florentine - December 18th, 2019
- Best VR Of 2019 Nominee: Wolves In The Walls Brought An NPC To Life - UploadVR - December 18th, 2019
- From Homeless to Pro Photographer: What it Actually Takes to Make it as a Photographer - PetaPixel - December 18th, 2019
- Want to be entertained? These apps will do the job! - BestTechie - December 18th, 2019
- How to draw in Google Docs using the built-in Drawing tool, to add customized drawings to your documents - Business Insider - November 21st, 2019
- This Is The $13 Cable Officially Recommended For Oculus Link Beta - UploadVR - November 21st, 2019
- How to ditch the cloud and move to do-it-yourself NAS instead - The Age - November 21st, 2019
- Doctor Who: The Edge Of Time Review: A Few Sonic Screws Short Of A Winner - UploadVR - November 13th, 2019
- You can get a free Hulu subscription with Spotify, but only if youre a college student heres what you need to know - Business Insider - November 13th, 2019
- Tumblr is launching a new group messaging feature built with fans in mind - The Verge - November 13th, 2019
- A Love Letter to "Jeopardy!," the World's Best Game Show - Popdust - November 13th, 2019
- Goodness and humor celebrated as Sesame Street turns 50 - Wilkes Barre Times-Leader - November 13th, 2019
- What happens if your mind lives for ever on the internet? - The Guardian - October 26th, 2019
- How to get a free pumpkin worth 2 this Halloween - The Sun - October 26th, 2019
- What happens to your Pixel's original quality photo backups, according to Google - Android Authority - October 26th, 2019
- Earth observation and citizen science a match made in heaven - DW (English) - October 26th, 2019
- Scrapbooks of Sound - The Stanford Daily - October 26th, 2019
- How to get 10 FREE fuel at supermarket petrol stations this week - The Sun - October 26th, 2019
- The robot wears Prada: what happens when AI starts giving out fashion tips? - The Conversation AU - October 26th, 2019
- The robot wears Prada: Tips on what to wear from Amazon, Google and Facebook - AdNews - October 26th, 2019
- An 8-Year-Old Girl Says She Was Almost Kidnapped. Media and Parents Freaked Out. It Was a Hoax. - Reason - October 26th, 2019
- Chris Ramsey has a horror of a gift in mind for his wife as he prepares for a Halloween-theme Strictly - Tech Ballad - October 26th, 2019
- 10 Tips to Get Most Out of Safari in iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 - Beebom - October 26th, 2019
- Updating Aadhaar card address with rent agreement? 3 things to keep in mind - Livemint - October 24th, 2019
- BuzzFeed, Vice and Pink News first publishers to add 'share to Snapchat' button to sites - The Drum - October 24th, 2019
- Only the lonely - MaltaToday - October 24th, 2019
- How to back up your Android phone and keep all of your important information safe - CNET - October 24th, 2019
- NASA’s Orion Crew Capsule Aced Its Abort System Test - July 6th, 2019
- What Do a Toy Store and a Tech Accelerator Have in Common? Cloud-Based Tech. - July 6th, 2019
- White Paper: These 12 Principles Are Shaping the Future of Autonomous Cars - July 6th, 2019
- This Room-Sized Device Could Create Artificial Gravity in Space - July 6th, 2019
- Facebook Is Finally Fighting Its Pseudoscience “Miracle Cure” Content Problem - July 6th, 2019
- This AI Gives Other AIs Names Like “Ass Federation” And “Hot Pie” Because Robots Can Be Weird Too - July 6th, 2019
- Here’s How You Can Watch Today’s Total Solar Eclipse - July 6th, 2019
- World’s Smallest MRI Machine Means We Can Now Scan Individual Atoms - July 6th, 2019
- CRISPR Helps Scientists Cure HIV In Living Animals For First Time - July 6th, 2019
- Billionaires Are Dead Serious About Moving Factories to Space - July 6th, 2019
- Possible Alien Radio Signals Way More Common Than Believed - July 6th, 2019
- The Pentagon Wants Its Own Orbital Space Station, Like a Death Star, But Not, Okay? - July 6th, 2019
- Russian Sub That Caught Fire Possibly Sent to Cut Internet Cables - July 6th, 2019
- We May Never Know When That Third CRISPR Baby Is Born - July 6th, 2019
- The Era of Sex for Reproduction Is Coming to an End, Says Author - July 6th, 2019
- A Physicist and His Son Are 3D-Printing a Full-Scale Lamborghini - July 6th, 2019
- AI Poised to Ruin Internet Using “Massive Tsunami” of Fake News - July 6th, 2019
- atheism | Definition, Philosophy, & Comparison to ... - May 28th, 2019
- atheism r/atheism - reddit: the front page of the internet - May 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - May 25th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - May 25th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - April 29th, 2019