It announced that it will drop the word Fair from its name and restrict using discriminatory White/Whitening', Light/Lightening from all its packs and communications. It soon renamed the brand to Glow & Lovely as a reactive measure to an uprising. A few experts rejoiced this move, while some expected HUL to drop the product completely that stands for colourism in India.
To make sure consumers dont forget Fair & Lovely is now Glow & Lovely, the advertisement illustrates the transition to the new name twice -- to really hammer it in the consumer's minds.
Vani Gupta Dandia, Founder, CherryPeachPlum Growth Partners - a marketing-led business consultancy said the steps HUL took till here -- to establish its transformation -- were fine.
Telling us further how she would have gone about establishing the identity change in the market, Dandia said, If I were the business head, I'd first spend a lot of money on just ensuring that the name change be registered. I'd do that with small edits - 5 and 10 seconders. And use other media similarly. High frequency, high recency modeling. However, quickly justifying the name with a tacky reason to believe undermines the intelligence of consumers. It does sound like the same old in a new bottle - worse still justified with the same old science. So are you telling me you can provide just about any benefit with the same old science? What is the difference between Fairness and Glow? If we were to respect consumers' intelligence, would we not like to explain why glow or radiance is aspirational?
So, Vani Gupta Dandia also expected to see a bolder advertisement this time, that truly empowers women.
Fair & Lovely has offered glowing skin in the past as well and its packaging style hasnt changed either.
This was an opportunity for HUL to include darker-skinned models in the ad and win millions of hearts. It wasnt something new that a brand in India would have experimented with. Dove India has changed its narrative from selling milky skin to offering a bar that cleanses. However, there is still a void for an inclusive beauty brand in India that celebrates diversity, skin colours, body types and body hair in its truest form and HUL, a giant that holds a lot of influence in our country, could have led that narrative.
Fair/Glow & Lovely's actual buyers are mainly dispersed in the small towns of India. Karthik Srinivasan, Social Media Expert and Independent Brand Consultant, said that Glow & Lovelys target audience perhaps doesn't really care for its name, they care more about making their skin whiter or fairer.
Srinivasan said, The product, no matter what it is called, has set the notion that being fair is the ticket to success in life. The change in name was mandated by global standards of 'saying the right thing' and is hardly indicative of the product's or the parent company's stand to offer meaningful change on the ground. The addition of that laughably silly assertion - that you will now get HD glow - further hammers the fact that there is no change, beyond a name. It also leads one to question, albeit pointlessly, if the earlier named cream offered only standard definition glow! Beyond very few marketing media, I really don't think anyone really cares for either the name change or the new ad. And HUL knows this all too well - the actual consumers of the product only see the product benefit that is imprinted in their mind.
Fair & Lovely has been in India for over 45 years now and has been one of the best-selling creams. According to The Drum, Fair & Lovely had entered the Rs 200 crore market back in 2017 and held a 60-70% share of the skin whitening industry.
Ronita Mitra, Business Consultant - Founder, Brand Eagle Consulting, said, The new communication is a rational communication with its primary objective being an announcement of the change in brand name. The name change through the branding on the pack as well as the TVC is being communicated very emphatically. One can see that continuity has been maintained in all other aspects, understandably so, in order to seamlessly migrate existing consumers and equity to the new brand. In the foreseeable future, the identity in the consumers' minds will, in all probability, continue to be that of the erstwhile Fair & Lovely identity.
Chawla thinks dark-skinned women of our country deserve an apology from fairness skin brands.
Suggesting how HUL can undo the damage it has done, Chawla said, The brand has a great opportunity to break the barriers of social conditioning pertinent to skin colour, and perhaps repair the damage done over the years to the psyche of dark skinned women. They can do so many things - from issuing a simple apology, to repositioning and overhauling the brand name, colours, key messaging. Conglomerates have the potential to change social perceptions. It is time they invested in the same. And on the social media front, the ad has a lot of potential to invite sufficient trolling and criticism, but honestly, the beauty of this change needs to go beyond skin deep.
View original post here:
- 6 WordPress Plugins Breached by Hackers - Built In - October 8th, 2020
- Why Sales and Bestseller List Reporting Is Vital in 2020: An Overview - BTW - October 8th, 2020
- When to Get a Refinance Home Appraisal and When to Skip - Credible News - October 8th, 2020
- Why Image-Enabling the EHR Benefits Patients and Providers Alike - Diagnostic Imaging - October 8th, 2020
- Money Game: Will instruction apps ever beat one-on-one teaching? - Golf.com - October 8th, 2020
- Neuralink Is Impressive Tech, Wrapped in Musk Hype - WIRED - September 8th, 2020
- A live digital Platform behind the scenes for more effective and transparent country response - World Health Organization - September 8th, 2020
- How group streaming could look in the future - Mashable - September 8th, 2020
- Back to the books: Glen Cove Public Library is now open for browsing - liherald - September 8th, 2020
- During the pandemic, local companies help seniors bridge the technology gap - Chesterfield Observer - September 8th, 2020
- Op-ed: Privacy considerations to keep in mind with Amazon's Halo - CNBC - September 2nd, 2020
- 18 Instagram Stories Hacks That Will Blow Your Mind - Digital Market News - September 2nd, 2020
- Sean OShea: Tips for Paralegals and Litigation Support Professionals August 2020 - JD Supra - September 2nd, 2020
- Why and How Did Tik Tok Absolutely Take Over Quarantine? - The George-Anne - September 2nd, 2020
- Blasters of the Universe: Infinity Forever Is A New Free-Roam VR Shooter - UploadVR - September 2nd, 2020
- Jamia group accuses admin of not listening to queries over merit-based admissions, varsity says no decicion yet - EdexLive - September 2nd, 2020
- 'As Kids We Were Taught to Become Humans, Amit Shah Wants Us to Become Hindus, Muslims' - The Wire - September 2nd, 2020
- There's more to testing than simply testing - SDTimes.com - September 2nd, 2020
- 'We're lucky to have The Hub' - Art & Leisure - Teesdale Mercury - September 2nd, 2020
- On The Podcast: Snapchat Is The Biggest Media Company Whose Content Youve Never WatchedBut Thats About To Change - Tubefilter - August 31st, 2020
- Yes, John Carmack Will Speak Live At Facebook Connect - UploadVR - August 31st, 2020
- Grab's Asha Gourinath on why it's time for brands to re-evaluate their messaging - The Drum - August 31st, 2020
- Tired Of Looking Online? These New Business Ideas Are Mind-Blowing To Start With! - Inventiva - August 31st, 2020
- How to Record and Transcribe Audio in Microsoft Word - Beebom - August 31st, 2020
- Start with a fresh page: Former Moray journalist on life as a tour guide in Barcelona and her new book - Press and Journal - August 31st, 2020
- Using tech to define the 'new normal' in classrooms | Business Post - Business Post - August 31st, 2020
- A Day in the Life: NBA Journalists Living Inside the Orlando Bubble - Sportscasting - August 31st, 2020
- LINKS Demand Marketing Trailblazes The Bi-lingual On-demand Marketing Experience - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Onslaught Will Be Forward Compatible With PS5 For PSVR - UploadVR - August 14th, 2020
- Ease anxiety with the sounds of bees - Los Angeles Times - August 14th, 2020
- The role of remote monitoring post-lockdown - Med-Tech Innovation - August 14th, 2020
- DLive add new emote feature - here's how to use it - Dexerto - August 14th, 2020
- As Film Festivals Go Online, a Competitive New Business Takes Shape to Support Them - IndieWire - August 14th, 2020
- The best recent science fiction, fantasy and horror review roundup - The Guardian - August 14th, 2020
- What is The Dream Bell Exchange Ticket in Animal Crossing (& How to Get Them) - Screen Rant - August 10th, 2020
- Instagram launches Reels, its attempt to keep you off TikTok - The Verge - August 10th, 2020
- Join a Virtual Race with the Northwest Broward Road Runners Club - Parkland Talk - Parkland Talk - August 10th, 2020
- Gigabit broadband rollout milestone reached - GOV.UK - GOV.UK - August 10th, 2020
- GMB weather girl Lucy Verasamy parades mind-blowing curves in skintight top - Daily Star - August 10th, 2020
- Understanding files: 4 types of files and their uses - AZ Big Media - August 8th, 2020
- How to remove restrictions from a PDF with free programs? - Explica - August 8th, 2020
- Berkeley has put $580K behind the arts. The caveat: no one can congregate to enjoy them - Berkeleyside - August 8th, 2020
- Dreams PSVR Review: A Messy, Unmissable VR Playground In Need Of An Overhaul - UploadVR - August 8th, 2020
- Mind uploading in fiction - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- In a future of mind uploading, will you still be you, and ... - August 8th, 2020
- The immortalist: Uploading the mind to a computer - BBC News - August 8th, 2020
- The Singularity Is Near: Mind Uploading by 2045? | Live ... - August 8th, 2020
- Eye of the Temple Reminds You How Amazing Room-Scale VR Is, Demo Available Now - UploadVR - August 7th, 2020
- Teaching: Your Questions About Hybrid Teaching Answered - The Chronicle of Higher Education - August 7th, 2020
- New Font Styles on Instagram Stories: How to Find and Use the New Font Styles - Parade - August 7th, 2020
- How to Get Cast on 'The X Factor' - Backstage - August 7th, 2020
- 'Naming The Tree' | Circle Round 103 | Circle Round - WBUR - August 6th, 2020
- Green and Growing: Plant blindness, a mower, and one unfortunate afternoon - theday.com - August 6th, 2020
- Find the Original Source Image of your Favorite Movie - News Lagoon - August 6th, 2020
- Penn law and engineering students built these accessible tech projects for Philly nonprofits - Technical.ly - August 6th, 2020
- PewDiePie shares reason behind not wanting to take photos in public - Dexerto - August 4th, 2020
- Heres how to identify the cause of your slow internet speed - KTAR.com - August 4th, 2020
- Breaking News - Amazon Studios Orders Second Season of the Hit Thriller "Hunters" - The Futon Critic - August 4th, 2020
- Start the Year With a 'Primary Focus' on Relationship-Building - Education Week - August 4th, 2020
- The First Steps in Adding Ecommerce to a Brick-and-mortar Store - Practical Ecommerce - August 4th, 2020
- The digital divide worsens the inequitable impacts of the climate crisis - GreenBiz - August 4th, 2020
- Skypath Security, Inc. Announces the Integration of a multi-functional Panic Button Alert System into its World Class Mobile Defense Platform - PR Web - August 4th, 2020
- Wealth Tech Demystified Part 5: Fee And Billing Software - Barron's - July 31st, 2020
- AI tool developed to predict, monitor and test health and safety of workforce - HR News - July 31st, 2020
- Tim Burton Had 'The Rock' In Mind For 2005 Willy Wonka Adaptation - 97.3FM - July 31st, 2020
- The complete guide to advertising on YouTube - Media Update - July 31st, 2020
- Thanks to COVID-19 cash, faster internet is coming for parts of rural Mississippi - Clarion Ledger - July 31st, 2020
- The Ultimate Ranking of The Muppets - E! Online - July 31st, 2020
- FYJC admissions: CAP committee issues instructions to ensure students face no hiccups while filling forms online - The Indian Express - July 31st, 2020
- Watauga County Schools To Open School Year With 9 Weeks Of Remote Learning - Go Blue Ridge - July 31st, 2020
- Singapore third in Asia-Pacific for mobile network experience ahead of 5G rollout: Study - The Straits Times - July 31st, 2020
- What is alt text in WordPress? How to add image descriptions on your web page to improve accessibility and website ranking - Business Insider... - July 31st, 2020
- 10 Main TV Characters Who Were Dead The Whole Time | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - July 31st, 2020
- Animal Crossing New Horizons Dream Suite: How to Visit Other Players' Islands - Twinfinite - July 30th, 2020
- AvidPlay is the First DIY Music Distribution Service to Support Dolby Atmos Music - GlobeNewswire - July 29th, 2020
- How To Upload Your Garmin Workout During the Outage - DC Rainmaker - July 29th, 2020
- Its Time to Redefine Broadband Speeds - Gizmodo Australia - July 29th, 2020
- Garmin outage: did Garmin pay the ransom to revive Garmin Connect? - T3 (US) - July 29th, 2020
- WCS to Open School Year with 9 Weeks of Remote Learning After a Vote at Tuesday Night Meeting - High Country Press - July 29th, 2020
- Things to do this weekend, from drive-in movies to the City of Steel Virtual Walk/Run - NEXTpittsburgh - July 29th, 2020