John McAfee of antivirus software fame has arrived in London from the Dominican Republic, where he had been detained for several days with his wife and several others for entering the Caribbean nation with a cache of weapons on his yacht, his lawyer said Friday.
Authorities asked him where he wanted to go, and he decided on London, his attorney Candido Simon told Reuters.
News of his arrival in the UK came two days after McAfee, 73, the eponymous founder of the PC software security giant, said on Twitter that he was released after four days of confinement along with five other people, including his wife, Janice.
I was well treated. My superiors were friendly and helpful. In spite of the helpful circumstances, weve decided to move on, the British-born tech guru said in a tweet Wednesday.
After Dominican authorities ensured that the US had no active legal cases or extradition requests for McAfee, they allowed him to choose where he wanted to go, Simon said.
McAfee has been sought by US tax authorities since January 2012, when he announced that he had fled the country and living in exile on a boat because of felony charges handed down by the Internal Revenue Service.
A spokesman for the IRS told The Post on Friday that he could not release any information about the case, as per policy.
McAfee who is seeking the Libertarian Partys nomination for US president in 2020 asked his Twitter followers on Friday whether he should also campaign to be British prime minister.
Can a person run for, and be, President of the United States and Prime Minister of Great Britain simultaneously? Yes. Absolutely. Without question. But I believe I am one of the few people still alive who could qualify for the combined position, he tweeted.
Earlier this week, McAfee docked his yacht, Great Mystery, in Puerto Plata, a province on the DRs Atlantic north coast, where the weapons and ammo stash was seized, Reuters reported.
Customs officials said they found pistols, a shotgun and bars of suspected silver on the yacht.
While in custody, McAfee retweeted a photo posted by his wife of himself sitting shirtless in a cell.
@theemrsmcafee insisted I looked better in this jailhouse photo since I was smiling. Janice was incarcerated in the cellblock next door at the same time. She just forgot how to properly smuggle phones, he wrote.
My crime is not filing tax returns not a crime. The rest is propaganda by the U.S. government to silence me. My voice is the voice of dissent. If I am silenced, dissent itself will be next, he wrote in a July 19 tweet.
The CIA has attempted to collect us. We are at sea now and will report more soon. I will continue to be dark for the next few days, he said in another tweet, which included a photograph of himself and a woman brandishing rifles.
On July 22, he wrote that they had been at sea 4 and a half in rough weather. Nearing port. All is well. Will be back in the saddle shortly.
McAfee said he couldnt wait to get off of this God forsaken boat that lost air conditioning and water 18 hours into the trip. None of us have bathed for 5 days.
His Twitter account was later taken over by his campaign manager Rob Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Loggia-Ramirez, who wrote: If John misses his next check-in, events will be set into motion that I cannot prevent once they have begun.
John has secreted data with individuals across the world. I know neither their identities or locations. They will release their payloads if John goes missing.
McAfee said in a video earlier this year that he was charged for using cryptocurrencies in criminal acts by Tennessee authorities, according to bitcoin.com.
I am running my campaign in exile on this boat for the duration I will not allow them to imprison me and shut my voice down, which they will do immediately Why? I am a flight risk. Obviously, I am in flight, McAfee said in the video.
The cybersecurity pioneer also boasted in a Jan. 3 tweet that he had not filed a tax return for 8 years, saying taxation is illegal and that his net income is negative.
At the peak of his wealth, McAfees net worth topped $100 million but he reportedly lost the bulk of his fortune during the global financial crisis in 2009.
He then liquidated his assets and moved to Belize, where he surrounded himself with a harem of young women many of whom moved in with him at his heavily fortified beachfront compound on Ambergris Caye.
In 2012, Belize police said McAfee was a person of interest in the murder of a neighbor. He told the news outlet Wired in November of that year that he was forced into hiding because local authorities were trying to kill him.
Prime Minister Dean Barrow dismissed the allegations, describing McAfee as extremely paranoid even bonkers.
McAfee was later arrested in Guatemala, where he sought political asylum but was charged with entering the country illegally. He was hospitalized for suspected heart attacks, which he later claimed he faked to avoid being handed over to police in Belize.
On Dec. 21, 2012, Guatemalan authorities deported him to the US, where he reportedly met Janice, who solicited him as a prostitute in South Beach, Florida.
The couple have lived in constant fear of his assassination by agents of the Belize government, according to a Newsweek report.
McAfee sold his famous anti-virus software company, which he founded in 1987, in 1994 for about $75 million.
- Inside the new John Madden documentary: How Fox Sports pulled off its expansive ode to the Hall of Famer - The Athletic - December 14th, 2021
- Basics of XMR and Why It's Becoming a Crypto of Choice - TechiExpert.com - November 2nd, 2021
- National Court of Spain Suspends John McAfee Extradition Hearing Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - June 10th, 2021
- Can virtual reality help the emotional well-being of older people? - Economic Times - June 10th, 2021
- I lived on the tropical island where a British billionaires daughter-in-law allegedly killed a cop. Trust me, its no paradise - RT - June 10th, 2021
- John McAfee Net Worth 2021 | Wife (Janice Dyson ... - February 11th, 2021
- John McAfee is Doing Great in Prison: It's Like The Hilton - February 11th, 2021
- Janice Dyson McAfee John McAfee's Wife ... - February 11th, 2021
- John McAfee, antivirus software pioneer, arrested in Spain ... - February 11th, 2021
- John McAfee prison interview: I plan to never return to ... - February 11th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency $1 Trillion Dollar Market Cap Prediction Comes True as Thomas Carter Shares Insights on Digital Assets for 2021: Imperium Group... - February 11th, 2021
- UAE Tech Podcast: Mathew Yarger on Cybersecurity, Decentralization and the 'Machine Economy' - Al-Bawaba - February 11th, 2021
- Governments Supply-Chain Vulnerabilities and What to Do About Them - Governing - February 11th, 2021
- John McAfee Net Worth 2020 | Wife (Janice Dyson ... - December 17th, 2020
- Software creator McAfee remanded in jail in Spain - Deccan Herald - December 17th, 2020
- John McAfee prison interview: I plan to never return to the US - The Independent - November 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Continues to Roar Higher, Pushing to $16,750 - NewsBTC - November 19th, 2020
- In post-election rally, bitcoin surges to its highest price in three years - SiliconANGLE News - November 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin price - In post-election rally, bitcoin surges to its highest price in three years - Fintech Zoom - November 19th, 2020
- Ep. 39 | Bitcoin soars to new highs as Bitcoin Cash hard forks into two. Tron blows past Ethereum. - Forkast News - November 19th, 2020
- Plan B Thinks 2021 Will Be Bitcoins Biggest Year to Date - Live Bitcoin News - November 19th, 2020
- Top 30 Twitter Influencers Account for 70% of Crypto Asset Mentions Do They Actually Influence Prices? - The Daily Hodl - November 19th, 2020
- 'Baby Shark' is now the most watched YouTube video of all time - Mashable - November 2nd, 2020
- Ripple CTO: What Are The Obstacles To The Company? - Somag News - November 2nd, 2020
- Ripple CTO Explains Why Financial Institutions Are Reluctant to Adopt XRP in... - Coinspeaker - November 2nd, 2020
- McAfee IPO: Not Worth The Limited Upside - Seeking Alpha - November 2nd, 2020
- McAfee IPO: 5 things to know about the security-software company - MarketWatch - October 19th, 2020
- McAfee Sets Terms of IPO, Hoping to Raise Up to $682 Million - TheStreet - October 19th, 2020
- Crypto Tax Evasion Is A Criminal Offense - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Corrections: Oct. 13, 2020 - The New York Times - October 19th, 2020
- The Feds Are Watching: 3 Things To Know About Crypto Tax Evasion, A Crime - Moguldom - October 19th, 2020
- SEC Regulatory Actions For September and October 2020 - Bitrates - October 19th, 2020
- A paternal state that thinks it can decide for the people is to be feared not cheered - The Times of India Blog - October 10th, 2020
- Beaver County signs letter to Trump, Biden in support of natural gas - The Times - October 10th, 2020
- Torbay Council approves strategy to build hundreds of homes on its land - Devon Live - October 10th, 2020
- Ontario government ramps up use of special orders to rezone land without appeals - NiagaraFallsReview.ca - October 10th, 2020
- By Attacking the Mughals, Adityanath Is Erasing the History of His Own Nath Samprady - The Wire - October 10th, 2020
- Judges Tell Trump His Officials Are Serving Illegally. He Does Nothing. - The New York Times - October 10th, 2020
- Former Liberal MP Raj Grewal, charged by RCMP, has case adjourned to January - Kamloops This Week - October 10th, 2020
- Shypitka lists priorities as wilflife and land access, health and education - Fernie Free Press - October 10th, 2020
- Gladys Berejiklian called to give evidence at corruption commission inquiry into former MP - The Guardian - October 10th, 2020
- The Impact of the COVID Pandemic on Global Economy and Bitcoin - BitBoy Crypto - September 21st, 2020
- Extrapolating The Future of Cryptocurrency - hackernoon.com - September 21st, 2020
- Tax Implications For Donations Of Bitcoin - Fintech Zoom - September 4th, 2020
- Should You Buy Gold or Bitcoins: What Financial Experts Think - Tech Guide - September 4th, 2020
- Seahawks one of two teams still in the mix for Jadeveon Clowney-- report - NBCSports.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Microsoft reportedly wants to buy up TikTok's India operations too - The Next Web - August 10th, 2020
- Unattractive and Overhyped? Peter Brandt Compares XRP to Fords Flop Car Edsel - U.Today - August 10th, 2020
- Why governments are threatened by teens on TikTok - The Next Web - August 10th, 2020
- Swarm works with Exolaunch to fly 24 SpaceBees on SpaceX Falcon 9 - SpaceNews - August 4th, 2020
- You can build a working PC inside Minecraft that plays games, including Doom and Minecraft - TechSpot - August 2nd, 2020
- India is reportedly looking to ban 275 more Chinese apps including PUBG - The Next Web - July 31st, 2020
- Here's why Elon Musk is a massive nickel backer - The Next Web - July 29th, 2020
- A Beginners Guide to Bitcoin Trading Price Prediction 2020-2025 - News Alarms - July 27th, 2020
- More than 1,000 Twitter employees had the security access needed to aid hackers - IT PRO - July 27th, 2020
- Worthless Coin McAfee Says He Never Believed Bitcoin Would Hit $1M - Cointelegraph - July 25th, 2020
- Binance CEO Changpeng Zhao Says Bitcoin 'Has Been Really... - Coinspeaker - July 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin hasn't hit $500K, so now John McAfee has to eat his own...well, just click - Mashable - July 19th, 2020
- Post Twitter Hack: The Advice of McAfee To Jack Dorsey - CryptoPotato - July 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Adoption is Crawling Walking Running or Rocking Based on Opportunity - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - July 17th, 2020
- Twitter scrambles as celebrities are hit in bitcoin attack - Los Angeles Times - July 17th, 2020
- Facebook removes 3 white supremacist band pages leaves 117 others - The Next Web - July 16th, 2020
- Zac Efron's Upcoming (And Rumoured) Films And TV Shows - Capital - July 12th, 2020
- Is Zac Efron the latest celeb to move here? - Northern Star - June 22nd, 2020
- Is Zac Efron the latest celeb to move here? - Byron Shire News - June 21st, 2020
- John McAfee Privacy Focused Ghost Coin To Go Live On May 25 - CryptoTicker.io - May 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Claimant Craig Wright Warns Opponents: The Axe Is In My Hand, And About To Fall Hard - CryptoPotato - May 19th, 2020
- Project management tools could be a sign of your company's true health. - The Next Web - May 19th, 2020
- John McAfee Predicts Hyperinflation, Names Coins That Will Act as Safe Haven During COVID-19 Crisis - U.Today - April 2nd, 2020
- McAfee Finally On The Right Path - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- Social media platforms caught up in information overload amid coronavirus pandemic - The Sociable - April 2nd, 2020
- Over $7 Billion In Investments Expected to Enter the Cryptocurrency Market - Coin Idol - April 2nd, 2020
- Social media companies are taking steps to tamp down coronavirus misinformation but they can do more - Alton Telegraph - April 2nd, 2020
- Conservative Voices Are Pumping Out Coronavirus Misinformation on Twitter - Vanity Fair - April 2nd, 2020
- Social media companies are taking steps to tamp down coronavirus misinformation but they can do more - Middletown Press - March 31st, 2020
- Elon Musk Just Sent The Best Cryptocurrency And Prank Bitcoin Rival Sharply HigherHeres Why - Forbes - March 4th, 2020
- Alamance County makes its choices at the polls - Burlington Times News - March 4th, 2020
- Tim Draper's Proposal To Replace the US Dollar With Bitcoin (BTC) - UseTheBitcoin - March 4th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakaboto: Bitcoin drives 50% of Cash Apps revenue - The Next Web - March 4th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakaboto: Steven Seagal to pay $330K settlement for promoting a Bitcoin scam - The Next Web - March 4th, 2020