Scientists can be sparkly, and Rita J. King, a scientist who co-directs Science House in Manhattan, is out to prove it.
King is a futurist, which means she analyzes data and makes projections. In her LinkedIn bio, King explains, "I work with teams and organizations to help them take ideas from mind to market, and individual leaders to help them navigate an increasingly chaotic world."
In a tweet earlier this month, King shared photos of herself in a sparkly golden dress, giving a talk at NASA.
Trending stories,celebrity news and all the best of TODAY.
"I came across this gown and remembered the little girls who sent me a letter and asked me to wear something sparkly... so they could believe that scientists could also be sparkly," King wrote in the post.
King's Twitter followers were quick to praise her for showing young girls the best of both worlds.
"My daughter is obsessed with all things sparkly, and she also likes to use tools and tinker," wrote one Twitter user. "I love that she can see women like you!"
"Yes. You have inspired me to take my tiara to work and wear it while Im grant writing!" wrote another.
King made time to respond to her followers' comments, with heart emojis and heartfelt words.
And, in one reply, she said that while she won't always dress in sparkles, she was glad to do it this once.
"I bought it for that talk and thats the only time Ive ever worn it," she wrote.
"I hope you find occasion to wear it again," the follower responded. "It, like you, is born to shine."
Never miss a parenting story with the TODAY Parenting newsletter! Sign up here.
Terri Peters is a writer and editor for TODAY.com and editor of the TODAY Parenting Team. She lives in a small beach town on the Atlantic coast of Florida with her husband and two kids. When she isn't writing, Terri can be found feeding her backyard flock of chickens or exploring Florida's theme parks and beaches with her family.
Read the original:
- Predictions for the 2020s, From a Futurist, a Trend Forecaster and an Astrologer - Vogue - January 19th, 2020
- How to Think Like a Futurist - MIT Technology Review - January 19th, 2020
- Healthcare Innovator and Futurist to Benefitfocus One Place 2020 - AiThority - January 19th, 2020
- These Researchers Want You to Live In a Fungus Megastructure - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- Meet the futurist with 2020 vision - Sydney Morning Herald - January 19th, 2020
- Scientists Create "Living Concrete" That Can Heal Itself - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- Scientists: Ocean Warming at the Rate of Five A-Bombs per Second - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- 2020 Real Estate Newsmakers: The Achievers and the Futurists - RisMedia.com - January 19th, 2020
- The Roots Young Futurists 2020: Nominate the Leaders Who Are Ready to Change the World - The Root - January 19th, 2020
- Trump Demands That Apple Give Government Access to iPhones - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- MIT Suspends Another Professor for Epstein Ties - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- How futurists from the past predicted life in 2020 - 9News - January 5th, 2020
- The Australian Wildfires Are So Bad You Can See Them From Space - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- NASA Proposed Sending Japanese Astronauts to the Moon - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Elon Musk Hints That a Cybertruck Is Headed to Mars - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Mysterious Swarms of Giant Drones Have Officials Baffled - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Jetpacks, surveillance, and a 26-hour workweek. Here's what past generations expected for 2020 - WUSA9.com - January 5th, 2020
- China Quietly Confirms Birth of Third Gene-Edited Baby - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Hypersonic planes and robots: Futurist predicts what we can expect by end of decade - Daily Star - January 5th, 2020
- We live so fast I can't even finish this sent... - The Register - January 5th, 2020
- This Tiny Particle Accelerator Fits on a Microchip - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Brett King produces the future in Qatar - Euromoney magazine - December 18th, 2019
- How Farmers Can Rule the World With Technology - Successful Farming - December 18th, 2019
- Robot Bartender Developer Wants to Pay the Humans It Replaces - Futurism - December 18th, 2019
- Heres What Would Happen if Earth Collided With a Black Hole - Futurism - November 7th, 2019
- This AI Decodes Your Brainwaves and Draws What You're Looking at - Futurism - November 7th, 2019
- An Oral History Of Blade Runner's 2019 Los Angeles, Because The Future Has Arrived - laist.com - November 7th, 2019
- Scientists Discover New Class of Tiny Black Holes - Futurism - November 7th, 2019
- Iron man: 10 Things Fans Never Knew About The Mark 1 Armor | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 7th, 2019
- Japan Just Unveiled a Supercar Made out of Wood - Futurism - November 7th, 2019
- Futurist predicts well be cyborgs in 4th industrial revolution - NEWS.com.au - October 7th, 2019
- Idiots Are Trying to Run Themselves Over With Their Own Teslas - Futurism - October 7th, 2019
- Astronomers Just Found the Oldest Galaxies in the Universe - Futurism - October 7th, 2019
- Northwest CT Chamber of Commerce: Charting the course - Torrington Register Citizen - October 7th, 2019
- Here's the First-Ever Pic Of "Cosmic Web" Connecting All Galaxies - Futurism - October 7th, 2019
- NASA's Chief Scientist is Oddly Terrified By Finding Life on Mars - Futurism - October 7th, 2019
- Here's Why Elon Musk is Feuding With the Head of NASA - Futurism - October 7th, 2019
- The Great Thinkers | Nikola Tesla: The futurist behind electrifying inventions - An-Nahar - October 7th, 2019
- Electronic and krautrock-inspired jazz from Germany collected on 2xLP - The Vinyl Factory - October 7th, 2019
- China Reveals Spacecraft Built to Ferry Astronauts to the Moon - Futurism - October 7th, 2019
- 'Learn to Grow Pawpaws': A talk with Neal Peterson - Martha's Vineyard Times - September 19th, 2019
- Police haven't caught his sister's killer, so Ed Peterson is trying to solve the case himself - CBC.ca - September 19th, 2019
- Pianists Tagg and Peterson perform at Conn College Friday - theday.com - September 19th, 2019
- Oak Harbor's Seree Peterson is thriving on OCU soccer squad - The Beacon - September 19th, 2019
- Only Yesterday: Henry W. Peterson received American Legion Award in 1959 - The Dallas Post - September 19th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - April 29th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - April 29th, 2019
- When the Large Hadron Collider Turns on, It May Trap Dark Matter - April 21st, 2019
- India Blew up a Satellite. Now A “Space Fence” Is Tracking Its Debris - April 21st, 2019
- Expert: AI-Generated Music Is A “Total Legal Clusterf*ck” - April 21st, 2019
- The Mueller Report Confirms We’re Living in a Cyberpunk Dystopia - April 21st, 2019
- Denver Is Voting on Whether to Decriminalize Psychedelic Mushrooms - April 21st, 2019
- This Space Roomba Could Clean the ISS While Astronauts Sleep - April 21st, 2019
- John McAfee Vows to Reveal Bitcoin’s Creator - April 21st, 2019
- Astronomers Finally Found the Universe’s First Type of Molecule - April 21st, 2019
- Professor: Total Surveillance Is the Only Way to Save Humanity - April 21st, 2019
- Amazing New Rocket Engine Sucks up Atmospheric Oxygen for Fuel - April 21st, 2019
- Climate Change Could Cause Fukushima-Style Meltdowns in the US - April 21st, 2019
- Puerto Rico Will Stop Burning Coal Next Year - April 21st, 2019
- Listen to Brutal Death Metal Made by a Neural Network - April 21st, 2019
- China’s Military Built an Autonomous Amphibious Landing Vehicle - April 21st, 2019
- Boston Dynamics Unveils SpotMini You’ll Actually Be Able to Buy - April 21st, 2019
- IBM Pulls the Plug on Drug-Discovering Watson AI - April 21st, 2019
- The Government Wants to Make an Example out of Mark Zuckerberg - April 21st, 2019
- Scientists Create Material With “Artificial Metabolism” - April 21st, 2019
- Scientists Find Genetic Variants That Prevent Obesity, Diabetes - April 21st, 2019
- From Coffee to Popcorn, Celebrate 420 With These Futuristic CBD Edibles - April 21st, 2019
- Some People Are Exceptionally Good at Predicting the Future - April 12th, 2019
- Scientists Say New Quantum Material Could “‘Download’ Your Brain” - April 12th, 2019
- Scientists Find a New Way to Kickstart Stable Fusion Reactions - April 12th, 2019
- The Israeli Moon Lander Is About to Touch Down - April 12th, 2019
- MIT Prof: If We Live in a Simulation, Are We Players or NPCs? - April 12th, 2019