Ed Peterson doesn't want to talk in the common area of the temporary modular housing complex where he lives in Surrey.
"Come over here," he said. "I want to show you something."
His legs are sore, swollen and freshly bandaged from a recent injury, so he needs a walker to make it to the window. When he gets there, Peterson, 59, points to the vacant lot across the street and cries.
"That's where it happened," he said. "She was lying right there."
For nearly seven years, Peterson has tried to do what police haven't been able to bring his sister's killer to justice.
Now, he fears he's running out of time.
"Hopefully, someday, I'll get closure before I die, which might not be that far away," he said.
"My health is failing."
Janice Shore, a tiny woman with a squeaky voice, was badly beaten and left to die under a tree near 135A Street and 106 Avenue in the Whalley neighbourhood onDecember 2, 2012.
Shore, 45, spentmore than two months in a coma before shedied from her injuries onFeb.18, 2013, leaving behind two brothers and three grown children.
"I miss her so much," Peterson said. "I wish she was here to comfort me."
After Shore's death, Peterson turned into a detective, interviewing everyone he ran into.
MaryAnne Connor, a family friend who runs the outreach organization Nightshift Ministries, says Peterson came by every day to ask people for information.
"He was tenacious about sitting there and taking notes," Connor said.
After years of sifting through rumours and whispers, Peterson developed a theory about who is responsible for his sister's death.
He keeps most of what he's learned to himself becauseit'slargely based on hearsay and the person he believes is responsible for Shore's death, who is still at large, is dangerous.
Peterson also doesn't think the case is a top priority for police. "The police had a pretty good idea of who did it," he said.
"This is a very violent person and if there's ever a charge laid, I'd be surprised."
Cpl. Frank Jang, a spokesperson for the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team, says investigators are still trying to find Shore's killer.
"The case remains an ongoing investigation and will neverbe closed until those responsibleare brought to justice," Jang said.
"It only takes one solidpiece of information to reignite an investigation and we are hopingthat those in the know will finally come forward."
Shore, who had mental health issues, moved to Surrey as a young woman after she was released from Riverview Hospitaland grew close to her brother.
The pair became soinseparable that people often mistook them for a married couple.
Shore was often seen panhandling and collecting bottles in Whalley, but she wasn't homeless. Peterson says they had a nice life together, sharing a home in a social housing complex in Whalley.
Peterson says they always ate well, especially when Shore made her favourite food French toast.
"She'd make enough to feed 20 people," he said. "Best roommate I ever had."
Whenever Peterson looks out the window at the lot where Shore was killed, which is often, he thinks about their home, their meals and whether an arrest will ever be made.
Peterson believes he knows the story behind his sister's death and police do, toobut he fears he'll be gone before anyone can prove it.
Read more here:
- New Zealand Claims to Have Eliminated COVID-19 - Futurism - May 3rd, 2020
- The Laws of Physics May Break Down at the Edge of the Universe - Futurism - May 3rd, 2020
- Free DNA Test Claims to Warn Whether COVID Is Likely to Kill You - Futurism - May 3rd, 2020
- The White House Is Trying to Shut Down NASA's Last Mars Rover - Futurism - May 3rd, 2020
- Astronomers Warn That Our Sun Is Having a "Midlife Crisis" - Futurism - May 3rd, 2020
- This COVID-19 Vaccine Could Be Ready by September - Futurism - May 3rd, 2020
- We Are The New World: Global Conversation With Optimistic Futurists - Thrive Global - April 27th, 2020
- Automated Education This Grad Student Used a Neural Network to Write His Papers - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- Night of the Comet NASA: Something Is Off About This Interstellar Comet - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- Elon Musk Says the Starlink Network Will Go Live in Six Months - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- The Coronavirus May Be Doing Something Strange to Your Toes - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- This is What Air Travel Could Look Like After the Pandemic - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- Terrifying Simulation Shows How Viruses Spread When You Cough - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- The Earth is Standing Still During the Pandemic. Literally. - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- The World's First Cyborgs: Humanity's Next Evolutionary Phase Is Here - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- Here's What It Would Be Like to Drive on Different Planets - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- The Pandemic Stranded Them in the Worst Place: Antarctica - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- Trump Threatens to Pull Funding for the World Health Organization - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- 'Tales from the Loop,' Amazon's sci-fi anthology, makes sense for our current alternative universe - theday.com - April 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus Conspiracy Theorists Are Setting 5G Towers on Fire - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- A New Hole Is Forming in the Ozone Layer Over the Arctic - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- Scientists Are Spying on Google Searches to Track the Coronavirus - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- Post-lockdown world will be 'a new, different reality' expert - Rappler - April 9th, 2020
- Respect for the natural world - Opinion - The Hutchinson News - March 31st, 2020
- Its tough to imagine, but what will life after coronavirus look like? - BizTimes - Milwaukee Business News - March 31st, 2020
- Congress Must Pass the Living Artists Act - The New York Times - March 31st, 2020
- The Book List: Science Fiction - The Bagpipe - March 31st, 2020
- Now's the time for organizations to show their humanity - Tech Wire Asia - March 31st, 2020
- Futurism | Definition, Manifesto, Artists, & Facts ... - March 15th, 2020
- 7 Top Futurists Make Some Pretty Surprising Predictions ... - March 15th, 2020
- How to Think Like a Futurist - MIT Technology Review - March 15th, 2020
- Does The Travel Industry Have A Future? - Forbes - March 15th, 2020
- IGCF: What are the best practices in government communication? - Euronews - March 15th, 2020
- Bright-Red "Blood Snow" Is Falling From the Sky in Antarctica - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- Here's a Glossary for the Ongoing Coronavirus Outbreak's Vocab - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- Space Force Working "Pretty Closely With Elon Musk and SpaceX" - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- Uber Tells Drivers to Stay Home If They Have the Coronavirus - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- Artificial and Biological Neurons Just Talked Over the Internet - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- Astronomers: Our Planet Might Have Another Moon, Except It's Tiny - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- Anti-Coke Lawsuit: "Plastic Is Set to Outweigh Fish in the Ocean" - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- Whistleblower: US Gov May Have Helped Spread Coronavirus - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- Governments Shut Down the Internet Hundreds of Times in 2019 - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- A top Silicon Valley futurist on how AI, AR and VR will shape fashion's future - Vogue Business - February 1st, 2020
- The fashion futurist: how Vogue's wartime editor revolutionised women's lives - The Guardian - February 1st, 2020
- 'Futuring' can help us survive the climate crisis. And guess what? You're a futurist too - The Conversation AU - February 1st, 2020
- Scientists Want to Explore Ocean With "Cyborg Jellyfish" - Futurism - February 1st, 2020
- Google Says Its Chatbot Is Capable of Near-Human Conversation - Futurism - February 1st, 2020
- Smart Bandage Detects Infections, Auto-Releases Antibiotic - Futurism - February 1st, 2020
- The Politics of Fast - Governing - February 1st, 2020
- Someone Hacked Dozens of United Nations Servers - Futurism - February 1st, 2020
- Brent Csutoras on the Evolution of Social Media, the Rise of SEJ & His Fascinating Journey [PODCAST] - Search Engine Journal - January 30th, 2020
- Finding the sweet spot in the food conversation - RealAgriculture - January 30th, 2020
- Predictions for the 2020s, From a Futurist, a Trend Forecaster and an Astrologer - Vogue - January 19th, 2020
- Healthcare Innovator and Futurist to Benefitfocus One Place 2020 - AiThority - January 19th, 2020
- These Researchers Want You to Live In a Fungus Megastructure - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- Meet the futurist with 2020 vision - Sydney Morning Herald - January 19th, 2020
- Scientists Create "Living Concrete" That Can Heal Itself - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- Scientists: Ocean Warming at the Rate of Five A-Bombs per Second - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- 2020 Real Estate Newsmakers: The Achievers and the Futurists - RisMedia.com - January 19th, 2020
- The Roots Young Futurists 2020: Nominate the Leaders Who Are Ready to Change the World - The Root - January 19th, 2020
- Trump Demands That Apple Give Government Access to iPhones - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- MIT Suspends Another Professor for Epstein Ties - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- How futurists from the past predicted life in 2020 - 9News - January 5th, 2020
- The Australian Wildfires Are So Bad You Can See Them From Space - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- NASA Proposed Sending Japanese Astronauts to the Moon - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Elon Musk Hints That a Cybertruck Is Headed to Mars - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Mysterious Swarms of Giant Drones Have Officials Baffled - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Jetpacks, surveillance, and a 26-hour workweek. Here's what past generations expected for 2020 - WUSA9.com - January 5th, 2020
- China Quietly Confirms Birth of Third Gene-Edited Baby - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Hypersonic planes and robots: Futurist predicts what we can expect by end of decade - Daily Star - January 5th, 2020
- We live so fast I can't even finish this sent... - The Register - January 5th, 2020
- This Tiny Particle Accelerator Fits on a Microchip - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Brett King produces the future in Qatar - Euromoney magazine - December 18th, 2019
- How Farmers Can Rule the World With Technology - Successful Farming - December 18th, 2019
- Robot Bartender Developer Wants to Pay the Humans It Replaces - Futurism - December 18th, 2019
- Heres What Would Happen if Earth Collided With a Black Hole - Futurism - November 7th, 2019
- This AI Decodes Your Brainwaves and Draws What You're Looking at - Futurism - November 7th, 2019
- An Oral History Of Blade Runner's 2019 Los Angeles, Because The Future Has Arrived - laist.com - November 7th, 2019
- Scientist Rita J. King wears sparkly dress to NASA talk - TODAY - November 7th, 2019
- Scientists Discover New Class of Tiny Black Holes - Futurism - November 7th, 2019