Seree Petersen, a four-year starter at Oak Harbor High School in both soccer and softball, has made a commitment to soccer and academics at Ohio Christian University.
BY YANEEK SMITH, BEACON CONTRIBUTOR
Seree Petersen chose Ohio Christian University because it allowed her the opportunity to play soccer in college. But shes also grown to love the university and her fellow students, making for an ideal combination.
Petersen, a defender/midfielder, has started all three games for the Trail Blazers, who find themselves 1-2 in the young season.
I love it here. I dont think I couldve made a better choice, Petersen said. The team has grown so much compared to last year, it makes us so excited about what lies ahead.
I came here with my sister during my junior year of high school. The girls were so welcoming and God-loving. The coach was very open and honest. I got way more out of that than I thought I would. (The school) has a very good early childhood education program with 95% career placement.
OCU is a private university that has 3,300 students. It is affiliated with the Churches of Christ in Christian Union and is located in Circleville, Ohio, 29 miles south of Columbus. The Trail Blazers compete in the NAIAs River States Conference, which includes colleges in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
Petersen, who was a four-year starter at Oak Harbor High School in both soccer and softball. She could have played softball in college if she wanted to, but instead chose soccer.)
I love practicing. You dont know what to expect, she said. Being with the team and doing the small things to improve is important. Its on the next level, its insane. Everyone is pushing each other to get better.
The sophomore is currently taking 18 credit hours, a full schedule that would be demanding for any student, let alone one playing a college sport. Petersen credits the faculty with being there to help.
In the classes I would struggle with, professors would stay after and help, said Petersen. You can text them, tell them youre struggling with an essay or something, and theyll help you. They want you to achieve your goals. I love that OCU is Christian and a small college.
When shes not studying or playing soccer, Petersen, a devout Christian, is eager to talk about her beliefs. Over the summer, she and some of her teammates went on a mission trip to Costa Rica.
Oh, my gosh, it was amazing. We met so many awesome people. It was rice and beans every single day, but that wasnt what defined the trip, said Petersen. It was awesome to see the country and interact with the children.
Petersen also cherished her time playing soccer for the Rockets, whom she led to four Sandusky Bay Conference titles and a district championship.
I learned how to be a leader at Oak Harbor. Not a lot of the girls were playing travel soccer, so it also taught me to help others grow around me, Petersen said. I took that with me here its more about how the team does than how we do individually.
Post Views: 269
- A top Silicon Valley futurist on how AI, AR and VR will shape fashion's future - Vogue Business - February 1st, 2020
- The fashion futurist: how Vogue's wartime editor revolutionised women's lives - The Guardian - February 1st, 2020
- 'Futuring' can help us survive the climate crisis. And guess what? You're a futurist too - The Conversation AU - February 1st, 2020
- Scientists Want to Explore Ocean With "Cyborg Jellyfish" - Futurism - February 1st, 2020
- Google Says Its Chatbot Is Capable of Near-Human Conversation - Futurism - February 1st, 2020
- Smart Bandage Detects Infections, Auto-Releases Antibiotic - Futurism - February 1st, 2020
- The Politics of Fast - Governing - February 1st, 2020
- Someone Hacked Dozens of United Nations Servers - Futurism - February 1st, 2020
- Brent Csutoras on the Evolution of Social Media, the Rise of SEJ & His Fascinating Journey [PODCAST] - Search Engine Journal - January 30th, 2020
- Finding the sweet spot in the food conversation - RealAgriculture - January 30th, 2020
- Predictions for the 2020s, From a Futurist, a Trend Forecaster and an Astrologer - Vogue - January 19th, 2020
- How to Think Like a Futurist - MIT Technology Review - January 19th, 2020
- Healthcare Innovator and Futurist to Benefitfocus One Place 2020 - AiThority - January 19th, 2020
- These Researchers Want You to Live In a Fungus Megastructure - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- Meet the futurist with 2020 vision - Sydney Morning Herald - January 19th, 2020
- Scientists Create "Living Concrete" That Can Heal Itself - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- Scientists: Ocean Warming at the Rate of Five A-Bombs per Second - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- 2020 Real Estate Newsmakers: The Achievers and the Futurists - RisMedia.com - January 19th, 2020
- The Roots Young Futurists 2020: Nominate the Leaders Who Are Ready to Change the World - The Root - January 19th, 2020
- Trump Demands That Apple Give Government Access to iPhones - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- MIT Suspends Another Professor for Epstein Ties - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- How futurists from the past predicted life in 2020 - 9News - January 5th, 2020
- The Australian Wildfires Are So Bad You Can See Them From Space - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- NASA Proposed Sending Japanese Astronauts to the Moon - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Elon Musk Hints That a Cybertruck Is Headed to Mars - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Mysterious Swarms of Giant Drones Have Officials Baffled - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Jetpacks, surveillance, and a 26-hour workweek. Here's what past generations expected for 2020 - WUSA9.com - January 5th, 2020
- China Quietly Confirms Birth of Third Gene-Edited Baby - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Hypersonic planes and robots: Futurist predicts what we can expect by end of decade - Daily Star - January 5th, 2020
- We live so fast I can't even finish this sent... - The Register - January 5th, 2020
- This Tiny Particle Accelerator Fits on a Microchip - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Brett King produces the future in Qatar - Euromoney magazine - December 18th, 2019
- How Farmers Can Rule the World With Technology - Successful Farming - December 18th, 2019
- Robot Bartender Developer Wants to Pay the Humans It Replaces - Futurism - December 18th, 2019
- Heres What Would Happen if Earth Collided With a Black Hole - Futurism - November 7th, 2019
- This AI Decodes Your Brainwaves and Draws What You're Looking at - Futurism - November 7th, 2019
- An Oral History Of Blade Runner's 2019 Los Angeles, Because The Future Has Arrived - laist.com - November 7th, 2019
- Scientist Rita J. King wears sparkly dress to NASA talk - TODAY - November 7th, 2019
- Scientists Discover New Class of Tiny Black Holes - Futurism - November 7th, 2019
- Iron man: 10 Things Fans Never Knew About The Mark 1 Armor | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 7th, 2019
- Japan Just Unveiled a Supercar Made out of Wood - Futurism - November 7th, 2019
- Futurist predicts well be cyborgs in 4th industrial revolution - NEWS.com.au - October 7th, 2019
- Idiots Are Trying to Run Themselves Over With Their Own Teslas - Futurism - October 7th, 2019
- Astronomers Just Found the Oldest Galaxies in the Universe - Futurism - October 7th, 2019
- Northwest CT Chamber of Commerce: Charting the course - Torrington Register Citizen - October 7th, 2019
- Here's the First-Ever Pic Of "Cosmic Web" Connecting All Galaxies - Futurism - October 7th, 2019
- NASA's Chief Scientist is Oddly Terrified By Finding Life on Mars - Futurism - October 7th, 2019
- Here's Why Elon Musk is Feuding With the Head of NASA - Futurism - October 7th, 2019
- The Great Thinkers | Nikola Tesla: The futurist behind electrifying inventions - An-Nahar - October 7th, 2019
- Electronic and krautrock-inspired jazz from Germany collected on 2xLP - The Vinyl Factory - October 7th, 2019
- China Reveals Spacecraft Built to Ferry Astronauts to the Moon - Futurism - October 7th, 2019
- 'Learn to Grow Pawpaws': A talk with Neal Peterson - Martha's Vineyard Times - September 19th, 2019
- Police haven't caught his sister's killer, so Ed Peterson is trying to solve the case himself - CBC.ca - September 19th, 2019
- Pianists Tagg and Peterson perform at Conn College Friday - theday.com - September 19th, 2019
- Only Yesterday: Henry W. Peterson received American Legion Award in 1959 - The Dallas Post - September 19th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - April 29th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - April 29th, 2019
- When the Large Hadron Collider Turns on, It May Trap Dark Matter - April 21st, 2019
- India Blew up a Satellite. Now A “Space Fence” Is Tracking Its Debris - April 21st, 2019
- Expert: AI-Generated Music Is A “Total Legal Clusterf*ck” - April 21st, 2019
- The Mueller Report Confirms We’re Living in a Cyberpunk Dystopia - April 21st, 2019
- Denver Is Voting on Whether to Decriminalize Psychedelic Mushrooms - April 21st, 2019
- This Space Roomba Could Clean the ISS While Astronauts Sleep - April 21st, 2019
- John McAfee Vows to Reveal Bitcoin’s Creator - April 21st, 2019
- Astronomers Finally Found the Universe’s First Type of Molecule - April 21st, 2019
- Professor: Total Surveillance Is the Only Way to Save Humanity - April 21st, 2019
- Amazing New Rocket Engine Sucks up Atmospheric Oxygen for Fuel - April 21st, 2019
- Climate Change Could Cause Fukushima-Style Meltdowns in the US - April 21st, 2019
- Puerto Rico Will Stop Burning Coal Next Year - April 21st, 2019
- Listen to Brutal Death Metal Made by a Neural Network - April 21st, 2019
- China’s Military Built an Autonomous Amphibious Landing Vehicle - April 21st, 2019
- Boston Dynamics Unveils SpotMini You’ll Actually Be Able to Buy - April 21st, 2019