Five veterans out, six prospects in.
The only disappointment was the Sox didnt go further and find spots for Matt Barnes and Jackie Bradley Jr. or really shake things up by landing prominent prospects for Christian Vazquez.
Ben Cherington burned the house down to the foundation in the great fire sale of 2014. But Chaim Bloom didnt go that far.
The Red Sox and Rangers reportedly considered a swap of bad contracts that would have sent Nate Eovaldi to Texas for infielder Rougned Odor. Both are signed for two more seasons, Eovaldi at an average annual salary of $17 million and Odor at $8.25 million.
An executive from another team suggested that sort of deal could be revisited in the offseason when theres more time.
The Sox werent opposed to dealing Bradley, who will be a free agent after the season. But no contender had a glaring need for a defensive upgrade in center field.
The Sox also would have likely needed to pay down some of the $1.8 million Bradley has remaining on his salary through the end of the season.
We know hes a good player. Wed love to have him here for a long time, Bloom said.
Well see how that plays out. The Sox could play Alex Verdugo in center field next season until Jarren Duran is ready. They also picked up an interesting center field prospect in Jeisson Rosario in the Moreland deal.
A short-term deal might make sense for both sides. But whos to say Bradley will want to stay with the Sox? Hes learned how great it is to play in Boston during the good times and how miserable it can be during the bad times.
Its probably going to be a while before the good times roll around again given the state of the pitching staff. But at least steps are being taken.
With some of these trades weve added more contributors that I think can start to form our next core, Bloom said. We still have work to do to continue building that core . . . were looking forward to putting more contributors in place.
The biggest accomplishment Monday was that the trade deadline passing also meant the luxury-tax penalties the Sox have been incurring will reset for 2021.
That creates considerably more flexibility in putting together a better roster. Thats important as the coming offseason will be one where creativity will be required.
It remains uncertain to what degree fans will be allowed into games in 2021 and every team has already taken a financial beating with the loss of revenue this season.
Were in the business of staging mass gatherings, Bloom said. This pandemic has not been kind to our industry and its a massive crisis in a lot of ways for the baseball industry that were banding together to try and do everything we can to overcome. Its hanging over everybody.
The free agent market could be barren, even for the best players, and some teams may be compelled to shed payroll by trading stars.
Controlling costs this season and adding to their prospect depth has positioned the Sox to take advantage of the situation.
Its our job to make sure were aware of everything thats out there, Bloom said.
The final 25 games are unlikely to be pleasant. With Eovaldi on the injured list, the rotation consists of Martin Perez and four coin flips. And nearly every game remaining is against a contender.
Bloom said that the Sox would lean on the side of development as the season plays out. The remaining games offer a chance to further evaluate players such as Jonathan Arauz, Michael Chavis, Bobby Dalbec, and Yairo Munoz and see how many of those pitchers are worth keeping around.
The four trades opened playing time for others and the Sox should use that wisely. Munoz, once a productive player for the Cardinals before a falling out that led to his release, was called up Monday for his first big league time since being signed in March.
We move on, manager Ron Roenicke said.
Peter Abraham can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @PeteAbe.
See more here:
- Opinion | No, Vaccine Mandates Arent an Attack on Freedom - The New York Times - November 2nd, 2021
- Academic Freedom Alliance Letter on the University of Florida Situation - Reason - November 2nd, 2021
- Vaccination, Freedom and Responsibility - Coronavirus Coverage - State of the Planet - November 2nd, 2021
- Freedom football rules 2nd half to beat Liberty, claim city title - lehighvalleylive.com - November 2nd, 2021
- 'Economic freedom' rankings are contrived, meaningless nonsense - The Real News Network - November 2nd, 2021
- Central Valley Right to Life group claims vaccine protection law prohibits freedom of speech - Visalia Times-Delta and Tulare Advance-Register - November 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Community Projects Communicate The Message Of Freedom - Bitcoin Magazine - November 2nd, 2021
- Investigative Journalist Roohollah Zam Tops November Ranking Of The One Free Press Coalitions 10 Most Urgent Press Freedom Cases - Forbes - November 2nd, 2021
- Stalin inaugurates exhibition on freedom struggle - The Hindu - November 2nd, 2021
- G-20 Needs a Freedom and Prosperity Agenda More Than Ever - Heritage.org - November 2nd, 2021
- When Jane Johnson jeopardized her freedom for the people who aided her to escape from slavery - Face2Face Africa - November 2nd, 2021
- Letter: Responsibility of Freedom | Opinion | thepilot.com - Southern Pines Pilot - November 2nd, 2021
- Positive Vibes Only: Mayorkun Performs Liberating Track "Freedom" From His New Album 'Back In Office' - grammy.com - November 2nd, 2021
- Do vaccine mandates violate or support our freedom? Avoid anyone who thinks this question is easy - The Dallas Morning News - November 2nd, 2021
- Passing reveals pursuit of happiness, freedom and safety - District - November 2nd, 2021
- Freedom to Roam: The Rhythms Of Migration - Folk Radio UK - November 2nd, 2021
- Diversity Dialogues Raise Issues of Women's Rights, Sexual Identity and Individual Freedom - University of Arkansas Newswire - February 20th, 2021
- Capitol Talk: Antifa; 'Religious Freedom', And Limits On Local Control - MTPR - February 20th, 2021
- John Mayall: The blues have given me musical freedom - Olean Times Herald - February 20th, 2021
- Greta comes out in support of Disha, says freedom of speech and right to peaceful protest non-negotiable - The Tribune India - February 20th, 2021
- Mosaic Announces Long-Term Partnership with Freedom Forever - PRNewswire - February 20th, 2021
- Creative freedom restricted by cloaking it in religion - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- Statutes of Liberty: Freedom of Information Act Requests are Free for Immigrants and U.S. Citizens - ARLnow - February 20th, 2021
- Woman who fought for racial equity as a Freedom Rider reflects on the past, gives outlook on the future - WLWT Cincinnati - February 20th, 2021
- Rescue horses move to Freedom to teach, provide therapy for people in need of rescue - Boothbay Register - February 20th, 2021
- Sudan: Forces of Freedom of Change refuses army appointments as governors - Middle East Monitor - February 20th, 2021
- Freedom Foods sees another CFO depart troubled Australian dairy business - just-food.com - February 20th, 2021
- Opinion | Give Fred Gray the Medal of Freedom, because no one deserves it more - alreporter.com - February 20th, 2021
- Biden Has No Time to Lose on Freedom of Navigation Operations Against China - Foreign Policy - February 20th, 2021
- The scars of solitary: Albert Woodfox on freedom after 44 years in a concrete cell - The Guardian - February 20th, 2021
- Washington Spirit owners, Freddy Adu, and more: Freedom Kicks - Black And Red United - February 20th, 2021
- Readers Write: Impeachment trial, freedom of speech, the cold weather - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 20th, 2021
- What the Trump administration meant for freedom of information requests - Columbia Journalism Review - February 20th, 2021
- Freedom and security: On social media platforms operating in India - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- 'You have to stay strong': 102-year-old freedom fighter's message to Disha Ravi - Hindustan Times - February 20th, 2021
- Freedom | Definition of Freedom at Dictionary.com - December 3rd, 2020
- Freedom - Wikipedia - December 3rd, 2020
- After 400 Years, The Reason People Come To America Is Still ... - December 3rd, 2020
- Medicare Advantage Plans for Florida at Freedom Health ... - December 3rd, 2020
- Freedom of Religion or Belief club formed at BYU - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - September 18th, 2020
- Freedom 76 At Grandview Will Be Live On FloRacing - FloRacing - September 18th, 2020
- Aviation Analysis: Revival of Fifth Freedom Flights? - Sam Chui - September 18th, 2020
- Trump Attacks The 1619 Project: U.S. Wasnt Founded On Slavery And Oppression, It Was Freedom - Moguldom - September 18th, 2020
- PAUL TIYAMBE ZELEZA - Beyond Political Freedom to Inclusive Wealth Creation and Self-Reliance - The Elephant - September 18th, 2020
- Backyard pool will bring joy and freedom to Niagara Falls boy - StCatharinesStandard.ca - September 18th, 2020
- Parson James Talks New Single, Lockdown, and Artistic Freedom - vmagazine.com - September 18th, 2020
- Private Railways Will Have Freedom To Set Their Own Fares: Government - NDTV - September 18th, 2020
- McCarthy focused on election, not Freedom Caucus push to remove Pelosi - Roll Call - September 18th, 2020
- Julian Assange, and Press Freedom, on Trial in London - Democracy Now! - September 18th, 2020
- Heres How to Retire at 45 with Financial Freedom - Investment U - September 18th, 2020
- Freedom and Madison off to a 'super' school year - Conway Daily Sun - September 2nd, 2020
- Freedom and Independence group formed to combat Soviet terror founded 75 years ago today - The First News - September 2nd, 2020
- COMMENTARY: Your freedom hinges on freedom of speech - The Cherokee One Feather - Cherokee One Feather - September 2nd, 2020
- Will it be Freedom Hilly cross country course? - The Macomb Daily - September 2nd, 2020
- Joliet Township Sued Under The Freedom of Information Act; Unauthorized Fees - Edgar County Watchdogs - September 2nd, 2020
- OPINION/LETTER: Gun range noise is the 'sound of freedom' - Cape Cod Times - September 2nd, 2020
- Fortify Your Home on the Cheap, Part 2 - America's 1st Freedom - September 2nd, 2020
- Sen. Gardner touts vaccine progress, pandemic legislation at Steamboat Institute's Freedom Conference in Beaver Creek - Steamboat Pilot and Today - September 2nd, 2020
- 'Zombies of the Corn' haunted attraction set for 8th season of frightful fun in Freedom - TribLIVE - September 2nd, 2020
- President Armen Sarkissian: Artsakh Was the Spark Which Lit the Fire of Freedom - Armenian News by MassisPost - September 2nd, 2020
- One Database to Rule Them All: The Invisible Content Cartel that Undermines the Freedom of Expression Online - EFF - September 2nd, 2020
- Personal freedom is still limited in most of the Islamic world - The Economist - September 2nd, 2020
- 'Mental Freedom' part two - The River Reporter - September 2nd, 2020
- Tuesday Freedom Kicks: Gelmin Rivas to D.C. United, continued fallout at Real Salt Lake, and more - Black And Red United - September 2nd, 2020
- Freedom Means Something Different to Liberals and Conservatives. Heres How the Definition SplitAnd Why That Still Matters - TIME - August 31st, 2020
- Trademark Parody and Freedom of Speech in the U.S. - JD Supra - August 31st, 2020
- D.C., Loudoun lose, Weston to Juve done & more: Freedom Kicks for 8/31/20 - Black And Red United - August 31st, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: The real meaning of freedom - The Bakersfield Californian - August 31st, 2020
- Bass: Exercising freedom to be exposed to COVID-19 - Berkshire Eagle - August 31st, 2020
- Dean Cain: NYC becoming land of the flee as people leave in search of more freedom - Fox News - August 31st, 2020
- In Conversation: Georgia Anne Muldrow on Finding Freedom as Jyoti - FLOOD Magazine - August 31st, 2020
- Watershed moment for freedom of speech: Prashant Bhushan on SC verdict. Read full statement here - Hindustan Times - August 31st, 2020
- Trumps ban of TikTok and WeChat would reduce Americans freedom of speech and harm foreign investment in the U.S. - MarketWatch - August 31st, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: It's All About Freedom - Centralia Chronicle - August 31st, 2020
- CLARK B. HALL: Rare images record freedom in the making - starexponent.com - August 31st, 2020
- Tantrum Or Freedom Of Expression Over Face Masks? - wcrz.com - August 31st, 2020
- This is my freedom of speech - Newnan Times-Herald - August 31st, 2020
- There are limits to freedom - Mount Airy News - August 31st, 2020
- Freedom in the Muslim World - Cato Institute - August 31st, 2020
- Shevar Perry to Open Solo Exhibit Moments of Freedom August 24th, 2020 - Suburban Journals - August 31st, 2020