Israel will next March almost certainly hold its third round of elections in less than a year, but Rabbi Uri Regev says thats not necessarily a bad thing.
Ive heard words of despair from American Jews [saying] nothing has changed between the first elections [in April] and the second [in September], Regev said Nov. 21 in a talk at Temple Isaiah in Lafayette.
But thats not true. Likud lost tens of thousands of votes between April and September, and Blue and White gained tens of thousands. [Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu managed to get 60 Knesset seats in April, and just 55 in September. I believe those gains will be even greater in a third election.
Regev is the CEO of Hiddush, an Israeli nonprofit he founded 10 years ago to advocate for religious freedoms and social equality in the Jewish state. A longtime leader in the Reform movement in Israel and around the world, Regev decided in 2009 to broaden his outreach beyond his countrys relatively small Reform community to take advantage of what he describes as Israels unique character.
Until recent decades, there was in Israel, as in most Western countries, a correlation between the political right and the religious right, and between the political left and the religious left. That is, however, no longer true.
Israels once-dominant political left is now decimated, he said, with just 15-16 percent of Israeli Jews describing themselves as to the left versus more than 65 percent who say they support the political right. Continued security concerns and no apparent solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict contribute to that rightward drift, he said.
Meanwhile, he continued, several studies, including one in 2016 from the Pew Research Center, show that two-thirds of Israeli Jews support a separation between state and religion. In the 2019 Israel Religion and State Index, commissioned by Hiddush, 69 percent of Israeli Jews said it was important that the party they vote for support religious freedoms, notably the freedom to marry whom they choose, and public transit on Shabbat, as well as social equality including an end to draft exemptions for yeshiva students.
So what we have is two-thirds of Israelis on the political right, and two-thirds supporting religious freedoms and social equality, he said. No study shows different figures.
Both Likud, on the right, and Blue and White, a center-right party, satisfy voters security concerns, he said. But whereas Netanyahu has allied himself politically with the haredi parties, which support the religious status quo, Blue and White has included in its platform the key religious freedoms supported by most Israelis.
So those of you who think issues of religion and state are not important to Israelis, the September elections show they are front and center
And that, he stated with some relish, is why support for Likud is slipping, and why support for Blue and White will continue to grow.
Avigdor Lieberman, the former defense minister, emerged this year as the canary in the coal mine. His political views are to the right, Regev reminded the crowd, but he and his party, Yisrael Beiteinu, strongly oppose the ultra-Orthodox control over religious life. Lieberman just squeezed into the Knesset in the April elections, with five seats. But over the summer he made his support for religious freedoms the linchpin of his campaign.
The result? His party netted eight seats in the September elections. And his popularity seems to be growing.
So those of you who think issues of religion and state are not important to Israelis, the September elections show they are front and center, Regev concluded.
But Israelis are concerned about different issues than those championed by American Reform and Conservative Jews, he explained. Egalitarian prayer at the Kotel? A recent poll showed it was of concern to just 4 percent of Israeli Jews.
So his advice to this audience gathered in a Reform synagogue in California was, yes, speak up. You have a stake in how Jewish life is lived, how Judaism is practiced, in the Jewish state. But understand what it is that Israeli Jews want.
If we focus our battle on egalitarian worship at the Kotel, we marginalize ourselves rather than aligning with the concerns of mainstream Israeli Jews, he said.
Regevs talk was the last of several he gave in local Reform synagogues, and it came the same day that Israels attorney general publicly charged Netanyahu with bribery, fraud and breach of public trust.
Three elections in 11 months? Well, Regev said, if it brings the right result the beginning of an end to the ultra-Orthodox control over religious life then thats the silver lining, he said.
I see already the progress made between April and September, and there will be further progress by March, he said. Im encouraged by the tremendous growth in public support, the emergence of a clear majority on the same page as we are.
Read the rest here:
- Letter: Marlboro's Degrees of Freedom can thrive - with innovation, collaboration - Brattleboro Reformer - August 2nd, 2020
- 'Freedom' rally in Twin Falls decries moderate Republicans, public education, masks and the media - bigcountrynewsconnection.com - August 2nd, 2020
- All-century team: Who are Freedom's top athletes of the 21st century? - Appleton Post Crescent - August 2nd, 2020
- When it comes to freedom of the press, it is 'problematic' in many of the richest countries across the world - USA TODAY - August 2nd, 2020
- Editors opened the doors to Freedom School, then even wider as magazine of black thought - Cambridge Day - August 2nd, 2020
- Introduction to the Freedom of Information Act | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - August 2nd, 2020
- Memorial honors families that have paid the ultimate price for America's freedom - Standard-Examiner - August 2nd, 2020
- 'It's the freedom of it': Bikers rally in Stateline ahead of Sturgis, unconcerned about virus - The Spokesman-Review - August 2nd, 2020
- 120 alerts in 4 months: Severe threats to press freedom across Europe - IFEX - August 2nd, 2020
- As feds attacks freedom, where's the right wing? - Santa Fe New Mexican - August 2nd, 2020
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are Doing the Opposite of 'Finding Freedom' - The Daily Beast - August 2nd, 2020
- Weve Neglected the Freedom of Assembly for Years Before Portland - Slate - August 2nd, 2020
- Did President Obama Award Jeffrey Epstein the Medal of Freedom? - Snopes.com - August 2nd, 2020
- Virtual NAACP Convention to kick off locally with "Freedom Weekend" - Dorchester Reporter - August 2nd, 2020
- Is the singers' freedom of expression absolute? - Annapurna Express - August 2nd, 2020
- Freedom goes hand in hand with restraint - Daily Nation - August 2nd, 2020
- Why Saifuddin Sozs Failure to Secure Freedom from 'House Arrest' Should Concern Us All - The Wire - August 2nd, 2020
- A community conversation on race and freedom - PAHomePage.com - August 2nd, 2020
- Sozs detention: Calling it freedom may be stretching law to breaking - The Times of India Blog - August 2nd, 2020
- Finding Freedom: 10 things we learned from Harry and Meghan's book - The Guardian - August 2nd, 2020
- Coronavirus Cases On The Rise In Italy. Freedom Does Not Mean Infecting Others - Forbes - July 31st, 2020
- Virtual NAACP Convention to kick off locally with "Freedom Weekend" - Dorchester Reporter - July 31st, 2020
- Did President Obama Award Jeffrey Epstein the Medal of Freedom? - Snopes.com - July 31st, 2020
- Freedom Schools come to Wilmington, here's what the program is all about [Free read] - Port City Daily - July 31st, 2020
- Internet freedom is in imminent danger, claims Twitter boss Jack Dorsey in attack on other tech companies - The Independent - July 31st, 2020
- Hugo Spotlight: Ted Chiang's Anxiety is the Dizziness of Freedom Transforms the Familiar - tor.com - July 31st, 2020
- Captain Sir Tom Moore receives honorary freedom of his home town - shropshirestar.com - July 31st, 2020
- A Scary Fact Found in a Gun Survey on the Upcoming Election - America's 1st Freedom - July 31st, 2020
- Secret passageways and freedom roads: Remnants of the Underground Railroad in NC - WRAL.com - July 31st, 2020
- Award-Winning IPhone Photos Capture Global Scenes Of Freedom And Serenity : Goats and Soda - NPR - July 31st, 2020
- 155 Years of Black Freedom - Columbia Business Times - July 31st, 2020
- Fear of speech is replacing freedom of speech - The Boston Globe - July 31st, 2020
- "Freedom Festival" is planned this weekend - The Ellsworth American - July 31st, 2020
- Freedom worth fighting for right here in America - Times Union - July 31st, 2020
- TCW's Brexit Watch: Are we heading for a fake freedom? - The Conservative Woman - July 31st, 2020
- John Lewis: 'Now it is your turn to let freedom ring' | TheHill - The Hill - July 31st, 2020
- The Hard Right is a Far Greater Threat to Freedom of Speech than 'Cancel Culture' - Byline Times - July 31st, 2020
- On the internet, freedom for some never means freedom for all - The Spinoff - July 31st, 2020
- Freedom of the great outdoors - Farm and Dairy - July 31st, 2020
- The distance ahead: John Lewis, Gov. John Patterson and the challenges of reconciliation - Montgomery Advertiser - July 31st, 2020
- Joe Rogan is Moving to Texas, Says There's More Freedom There - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 30th, 2020
- Opinion: Turkey closing window on press freedom - DW (English) - July 30th, 2020
- THIS WEEK IN HISTORY: Freedoms Davis adds to banner year - Morganton News Herald - July 30th, 2020
- Two years after Janus, more workers are exercising their freedom of association - San Bernardino County Sun - July 30th, 2020
- Freedom of speech is a right, but is there a line drawn for teachers - MyFoxZone.com KIDY - July 30th, 2020
- Berta Cceres in her own words - Toward Freedom - July 30th, 2020
- Finding Freedom: 10 things we learned from Harry and Meghan's book - The Guardian - July 30th, 2020
- Letters: An alarming threat to our freedom to speak freely - HeraldScotland - July 30th, 2020
- How the automobile is giving us back our freedom in the summer of COVID-19 - Driving - July 30th, 2020
- Weekend Protest Round-Up: Massive Crowds, Unpredictable Tear Gas, More Freedom for the Press - The Portland Mercury - July 30th, 2020
- Freedom Healthy Cooking Oils Launches a campaign #Immunity begins in the Kitchen - PR Newswire India - July 29th, 2020
- Guest editorial: Mask-wearing protects freedom and the economy - Lewiston Morning Tribune - July 29th, 2020
- The Venus in Scorpio finds freedom with new single Roam - CelebMix - July 29th, 2020
- NLRB Decision Gives Employers More Freedom to Address Offensive and Abusive Conduct - JD Supra - July 29th, 2020
- What Prince William Thinks of the New Finding Freedom Book About the Royal Family - Us Weekly - July 29th, 2020
- Religious freedom is no reason to deny people with disabilities the right to equality in the workplace | TheHill - The Hill - July 29th, 2020
- Repealing Ohio's CAT Will Enhance Economic Freedom and Opportunity - Buckeye Institute - July 29th, 2020
- Portrait of an Artist: Jozimar Matimano paints in the colors of freedom - Manchester Ink Link - July 29th, 2020
- Finding Freedom book extracts claim to tell Harry and Meghan's story, but they say they weren't involved - ABC News - July 29th, 2020
- How the Supreme Court's Expansion of Freedom of Religion Makes Its Decision on the Rights of Gays and Transsexuals Possible - Mosaic - July 28th, 2020
- Finding Freedom: Everything we've learned so far from upcoming biography of Harry and Meghan - The Independent - July 27th, 2020
- For his next trick, the showman might make freedom disappear | Column - Tampa Bay Times - July 27th, 2020
- Halo Infinite Is Halo CE with Walls Knocked Down and Freedom to Explore, Says Dev - Wccftech - July 27th, 2020
- We Can Either Fight This Thing, Or Starve: Texas Bars Open Illegally As Part Of Freedom Fest - CBS Dallas / Fort Worth - July 27th, 2020
- Risk aversion in Special Operations: When aid workers have more freedom in a combat zone - SOFREP - July 27th, 2020
- Freedom of the Press | Columnists | islandernews.com - Islander News.com - July 27th, 2020
- In Pictures: Activists around the world stage Fridays for Freedom protests in solidarity with Hong Kong pro-democracy movement - Hong Kong Free Press - July 27th, 2020
- Juvenile lifer gets second chance at freedom 30 years later - WXII The Triad - July 27th, 2020
- PBS Streams Award-Winning Freedom Riders Documentary To Honor Memory Of Rep. John Lewis And Rev. C. T. Vivian - Forbes - July 27th, 2020
- In Pennsylvania, fight against wearing masks involves some key Republicans, and liberty - York Daily Record - July 27th, 2020
- This Is How The End Of Freedom Starts, According To New Political Ad 07/21/2020 - MediaPost Communications - July 27th, 2020
- Unalienable Rights and the Securing of Freedom | US Embassy & Consulate in Kazakhstan - US Embassy and Consulate in Kazakhstan - July 26th, 2020
- Freedom of the Press | Columnists - Islander News.com - July 26th, 2020
- NZ has become 'too blas' about its hard-won freedom from Covid - Stuff.co.nz - July 26th, 2020
- 'Finding Freedom' suggests the Sussexes have not yet burned their bridges - Telegraph.co.uk - July 26th, 2020
- Freedom rally at Capitol blasts Governor Wolfs handling of coronavirus - ABC27 - July 26th, 2020
- Love of freedom is the missing ingredient in this Tory government - Telegraph.co.uk - July 26th, 2020
- Freedom at last: Roosevelt Myles released after 28 years behind bars | The Crusader Newspaper Group - The Chicago Cusader - July 25th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: Overreaching laws are taking away our freedom - - New Kent - Charles City Chronicle - July 25th, 2020
- SNP's hate crime bill poses 'grave threat' to the freedom of the press and risks 'society of fear' - Telegraph.co.uk - July 25th, 2020