The reputation of natural gas as a clean fuel has been repeatedly undermined by unfavorable emissions data. But now, several new studies suggest that the problem could be even bigger than we imagined.
Do these studies paint an accurate picture of LNG, or are they just more anti-fossil fuel hype?
The short answer is: its complicated.
The University of Texas at Austin earlier this month warned that the expansion of oil, gas, and petrochemical infrastructure along the Gulf Coast could add half a billion tons of greenhouse gas emissions to Americas total every year by 2030. This, the UT said, was equivalent to 8 percent of the countrys current total in emissions and would come from new refineries, petrochemical plants and, perhaps a little unexpectedly for the layperson, liquefied natural gas plants.
Touted as freedom gas by the Donald Trump administration, LNG has quickly turned into a major export commodity for U.S. energy companies. Indeed, LNG as a fuel burns a lot more cleanlywith a lot less emissionsthan oil derivatives. But its production turns out to be a different matter.
In early January, the Environmental Integrity Project released a report that, although a little less pessimistic than the UTs, was still concerning. It said oil and gas companies and related businesses have permits or have applied for permits for facilities that would add 227 million tons of greenhouse gas emissions by 2025.
Only a minority of these additional emissions are to come from new drilling: just 36 million tons. The total additional emissions would be a 30-percent increase on the GHG emissions total of the oil and gas industry for 2018.
Related: As Gas Prices Crash, Will This Shale Giant Survive?
Of this total, the Environmental Integrity Project said, the largest growth would come from LNG plants.
In 2018, there were eight operating LNG export terminals in the United States. These released seven million tons of greenhouse gases during that year. The amount was more than a tenfold increase from 2016. Now, there are 18 new LNG export terminals planned to be built along the Gulf Coast, plus one plant inland, according to the report. These, if all are built, could add 80 million tons of greenhouse gases to total annual emissions from the fossil fuel industry. This, the EIP warns, would be an increase of 100 times over ten years.
The latest to add to the LNG gloom was Bloomberg. In an analysis published last week, the news and intelligence firm said the 11 LNG plants approved by President Trump could add 78 million tons of carbon dioxide to total U.S. emissions, plus quite a lot of sulfur dioxide, and methaneby-products of the liquefaction process that basically cools natural gas to superlow temperatures so it can liquefy.
Then, Bloomberg continues, there are emissions associated with the transportation of the natural gas from the wellhead to the liquefaction train and from there to its destination overseas. Even operating an LNG plant has a carbon footprint comparable to that of a coal plant, with the comparison not too flattering for LNG. The analysis of the data that Bloomberg used showed that the 11 new LNG plants, if built, would emit as much carbon dioxide as 24 coal plants.
Not All Emissions Doom and Gloom
Luckily for the environment, there is a bit of good news. The emissions levels of different LNG plants vary greatly. The Cameron LNG plant, for instance, could release as much 328,000 tons of carbon dioxide per 1 million tons of LNG it exports when it becomes fully operational. Yet the Annova LNG terminal in Texas would emit only 59,000 tons of CO2 for every 1 million tons of LNG it exports.
The differences may have a lot to do with how these facilities cool the gas. Oilprice spoke to an expert from Yamal LNG, Mehdy Touil, who said the main source of greenhouse gases in an LNG train comes from the combustion of gasmethanein the turbines that drive the refrigeration compressors. Methane emissions from LNG trains are negligible because every facility has gas detectors.
CO2 emissions are also generated from other gas processing equipment at the facility. But even with these emissions, Touil noted, LNG plants are a smaller polluter than coal-fired power plants. And those that opt for electric motors instead of gas turbines have an emissions footprint of next to zero.
Related: US Oil Rig Count Inches Higher As Production Hits 13 Million Bpd
One terminal operator, Freeport LNG, for example, said it planned to cut its emissions by 90 percent compared with other LNG exporters by switching to electric motors from combustion turbines. Touil called Freeport LNG the first eLNG plant.
Two Canadian projects, LNG Canada and Woodfibre LNG, Touil added, plan to source their energy for refrigeration entirely from hydropower, which would be another way to reduce the dominant source of emissions from the production of LNG.
It seems to also depend on location, too. Cheniere Energy, the largest LNG producer in the U.S, emits less from its Corpus Christi LNG terminal, which draws electricity from the grid, than from its Sabine Pass terminal, which makes its own power.
The Clean Fossil Fuel Myth?
All these studies are making one thing clear yet again: there is no clean fossil fuel. In fact, some would argue that natural gas is even more problematic than oil in that its production and transport is accompanied by methane leaks, and methane is a lot more harmful to the atmosphere than carbon dioxide. Will all these revelations halt the LNG boom, not just in the United States but across the globe?
The truth is that although it is far from emission-free, liquefied natural gas is less polluting than coal. Bloombergs comparison between an LNG plant and a coal plant is evidence of that. Whats more, the studies warning against LNG terminals emission potential only focus on the production of LNG rather than its use. The reason LNG has become so popular as an alternative to coal is that it does burn a lot more cleanly than coal. Perhaps the emissions produced during the liquefaction process could be offset by the emissions not released by coal plants because they have switched to LNG.
By Irina Slav for Oilprice.com
More Top Reads From Oilprice.com:
Read this article on OilPrice.com
Go here to read the rest:
- For 1st time, Freedom Conference to be held outside Steamboat; organizer blames local COVID-19 restrictions - Steamboat Pilot and Today - July 13th, 2020
- Current crises give cause to consider the meaning of 'freedom' in 2020 - Iowa City Press-Citizen - July 13th, 2020
- Freedom is the cure? - Post Register - July 13th, 2020
- Kahle: Freedom is our brand - Opinion - The Register-Guard - July 13th, 2020
- Kristiine Silinja: "I love exploration, adventures, and freedom. All that comes with a six-string bass" - Guitar World - July 13th, 2020
- Don't let them take our freedom | Letters To The Editor - Uniontown Herald Standard - July 13th, 2020
- The Novels of Tension Between Freedom and Disaster - The New York Review of Books - July 13th, 2020
- 'Optimism of the Will': Palestinian Freedom is Possible Now - Middle East Monitor - July 13th, 2020
- What American freedom means to a refugee from Iraq at a time of protests and pandemic - Chicago Sun-Times - July 13th, 2020
- Suicide of Egyptian activist Sarah Hegazi exposes the 'freedom and violence' of LGBTQ Muslims in exile - The Conversation US - July 13th, 2020
- A Black Alabama hero fights for America and freedom in new novel - AL.com - July 13th, 2020
- The joys of Czech tramping: Hiking with friendship, freedom and fun - The Guardian - July 13th, 2020
- With app bans, is Internet freedom being sacrificed for national security? | The Hindu Parley podcast - The Hindu - July 13th, 2020
- Citizens hold 'freedom drive' in place of parade - Silver City Daily Press and Independent - July 13th, 2020
- Rangila, the ''dancing bear'' rescued from Nepal, celebrates two years of freedom - Outlook India - July 13th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Freedom comes with responsibilities, so wear a mask - TribLIVE - July 13th, 2020
- Statement in support of OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media - PEN America - July 12th, 2020
- Celebrate the sounds of freedom | News, Sports, Jobs - Alpena News - July 12th, 2020
- Azerbaijan and Tajikistan block renewal of OSCE media freedom representative - The Shift News - July 12th, 2020
- Opinion: Freedom comes with the burden of responsibility - easternnewmexiconews.com - July 12th, 2020
- Oprah Winfrey and BFF Gayle King Reunite for "Freedom Dinner" After Negative Coronavirus Tests - E! NEWS - July 12th, 2020
- 'Give Me Freedom or Give Me Death': 13 Years Without Trial at Guantanamo, My Hunger Strike Is All I Have Left - Common Dreams - July 12th, 2020
- Congress' decision seen as a slap to freedom of press - The Star Online - July 12th, 2020
- Post-lockdown camping: 'It's a taste of freedom' - The Guardian - July 12th, 2020
- Freedom in Ukraine: Moving in the right direction? - The Ukrainian Weekly - July 12th, 2020
- Healing, Justice, and Freedom, as Defined by #BlackLivesMatter - Greatist - July 12th, 2020
- Survival of Americas experiment depends on how we use freedom - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - July 12th, 2020
- Massive protests in Argentina demand justice and freedom; president Fernandez pledges to end the serial haters - MercoPress - July 12th, 2020
- MLS is officially back and more: Freedom Kicks for 9 July 2020 - Black And Red United - July 12th, 2020
- And When He Came to Himself (Luke 15:17) - July 11th, 2020
- MINISTER'S MOMENT / By REV. WILL WILSON | A Christian perspective on freedom - Kilgore News Herald - July 11th, 2020
- The impact of the health crisis on freedom of expression and media freedom - Report by the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Marija Pejinovi... - July 11th, 2020
- Suicide of Egyptian activist Sarah Hegazi exposes the 'freedom and violence' of LGBTQ Muslims in exile - The Ridgefield Press - July 11th, 2020
- Freedom Day Bailouts Get Several Men Behind Bars Out Before Father's Day | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - June 22nd, 2020
- This Week in Technology + Press Freedom: June 21, 2020 - Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press - June 22nd, 2020
- The Juneteenth flag is full of symbols. Here's what they mean - CNN - June 22nd, 2020
- We Have to Talk About Liberating Minds: Angela Davis' Quotes on Freedom - AnOther Magazine - June 22nd, 2020
- Journalism Instructor Leading Online Freedom of Information Event - Ole Miss News - June 22nd, 2020
- Dozens gather for freedom march and rally in downtown Columbus - 10TV - June 22nd, 2020
- Justice Thomas concludes that the "freedom of speech" is a Privilege or Immunity under the 14th Amendment - Reason - June 22nd, 2020
- Freedom launches Pilot to simplify teleoperation on third-party robots - TechCrunch - June 22nd, 2020
- Gov. Stitt says Trump rally attendees 'have freedom to stay home' if concerned about contracting COVID-19 - Tulsa World - June 22nd, 2020
- Opinion: The freedom to take a knee - Houston Chronicle - June 22nd, 2020
- Politicized COVID-19 Response Imperils Both Freedom and Safety, States Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons - GlobeNewswire - June 22nd, 2020
- Julian Assange's fianc calls on the Australian government to secure his freedom - World Socialist Web Site - June 22nd, 2020
- 5th Annual Tybee Island Wade-In commemorates fight for freedom - WSAV-TV - June 22nd, 2020
- Pence to visit Texas for 'Freedom' event at megachurch - Monitor - June 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19: Freedom Means That We Can Do Stupid Things, Not That We Have To - Anchorage Press - June 22nd, 2020
- No restrictions on using firearms: India gives soldiers freedom along LAC in extraordinary times - Hindustan Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Aim to Achieve Financial Freedom in the Stock Market With This $30 Bundle - CT Post - June 22nd, 2020
- Freedom is never defined as mob rule | Opinion - nj.com - May 19th, 2020
- American freedom was tug-of-war from the start - York Dispatch - May 19th, 2020
- Finding the balance between safety and freedom in the shadow of COVID-19 - VentureBeat - May 19th, 2020
- In time of quarantine, we must resist Grand Inquisitors view of freedom - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom Does Not Mean Being on the Loose - Psychiatric Times - May 19th, 2020
- The van gives me such freedom: Custom conversion gives Eugene woman wheels on which to roam - The Register-Guard - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom is Never Free - The Hudson Reporter - May 19th, 2020
- Germany's flag burning ban is a threat to freedom of expression - Spectator.co.uk - May 19th, 2020
- What will we do with the new freedom to shop and dine? - cleveland.com - May 19th, 2020
- What does freedom mean in this moment? - The Irish Times - May 19th, 2020
- Event captures memories of Freedom Riders' heroic journey between Anniston and Birmingham - Bham Now - May 19th, 2020
- Are Contact Tracing Apps the Key to Lockdown Freedom? - Redbrick - May 19th, 2020
- Hundreds expected to gather for local Faith & Freedom Rally - KDRV - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom of information laws 'have failed to keep pace with public services' - Aberdeen Evening Express - May 19th, 2020
- Captain Tom Moore receives Freedom award during City of London's first 'virtual' ceremony - FE News - May 11th, 2020
- Boris Johnson's roadmap to ease lockdown will start with more freedom to exercise and back-to-work moves from Wednesday - Telegraph.co.uk - May 11th, 2020
- God alone is the source of liberty and freedom - Akron Beacon Journal - May 11th, 2020
- 'Deadly Dictatorship': How Rodrigo Duterte Has Attacked Freedom of the Media in Latest Closure of Main Broadcaster - The National Interest - May 11th, 2020
- Conjure Women is a tale of slavery and its aftermath - The Economist - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Haven Emergency Shelter and Transitional Living Home - - KUSI - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Festival events postponed to 2021, firework show will be held - Deseret News - May 11th, 2020
- Granite State confined at home find freedom and calm in the garden - The Union Leader - May 11th, 2020
- MSNBC contributor: Americans 'freedom-obsessed' to point 'we're blind to other types of threats' | TheHill - The Hill - May 11th, 2020
- Faith and freedom of choice are key ingredients for parenting - The New Indian Express - May 11th, 2020
- Just after Elon Musk denounced coronavirus lockdowns as infringements of freedom, research shows Britons are too scared to leave their homes anyway -... - May 11th, 2020
- Another Freedom Square resident has died of COVID-19 in Pinellas - Tampa Bay Times - May 11th, 2020
- Celebrating freedom in the same garden 75 years on - Jersey Evening Post - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Is An Issue That Stirs Voters - America's 1st Freedom - May 11th, 2020
- How You Can Advance the Cause of Reason and Freedom - New Ideal - May 11th, 2020
- As Spaniards got their first real taste of freedom this weekend, hundreds of them got arrested and thousands were fined - MarketWatch - May 11th, 2020