On Jan. 24, Secretary of StateMike Pompeo abruptly ended an interviewwith NPR reporter Mary Louise Kelly after she asked hima series of pointed questions about Ukraineand following his statement that he has defended all State Department personnel if he could point to his remarks defending Marie YovanovitchMarie YovanovitchTrump ousts impeachment witness Gordon Sondland Impeachment witness Alexander Vindman escorted from White House Yovanovitch: Standing up to our government should not be 'dangerous act' MORE, former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine. A few minutes later, a State Department official asked Kelly to accompany her (without a recorder) to Pompeos private living room. Inside the room, according to Kelly, Pompeo berated her, frequently using the f-word. Do you think Americans care about Ukraine?, he asked, and challenged her to identify the country on an unmarked map.
The following day,Pompeo issued a statementclaiming Kelly had violated the basic rules of journalism and decency, saying she lied to him about the subject of the interview and broke a promise to keep their subsequent exchange off the record (Kelly disputes both). Other than implying that Kelly (who has an advanced degree in European Studies from Cambridge University) mistook Bangladesh for Ukraine, he did not dispute Kellys account of his post-interview comments.
A few days later,the State Department barredNPR reporter Michele Kelemen from accompanying Pompeo on a trip to the United Kingdom, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. The Department did not give a reason for its decision.
Americans across the political spectrum should be denouncing the intimidation of a journalist. They arent.
To be sure,five Democratic senators condemnedPompeos behavior as insulting and contemptuous. Sen. Bob MenendezRobert (Bob) MenendezMedia's selective outrage exposed in McSally-Raju kerfuffle Dem senators say Iran threat to embassies not mentioned in intelligence briefing Overnight Defense: Iran crisis eases as Trump says Tehran 'standing down' | Dems unconvinced on evidence behind Soleimani strike | House sets Thursday vote on Iran war powers MORE declared that, As the United States chief diplomat, the Secretary of State should know that freedom of the press is a fundamental human right, a foundational pillar of democracy, and an indispensable check on authoritarian overreach. And the White House Correspondents Association called the retaliation against NPR outrageous and contrary to American values.
In the hyper-partisan, siloed world in which information is disseminated and issues are framed, however, millions of Americans have not learned thatemail exchangesbetween Kelly and aides to Pompeo demonstrate that the NPR reporter did not agree to limit her questions to Iran and ask no questions about Ukraine. Although her plan was to spend a healthy portion of the interview on Iran, she said I never agree to take anything off the table. She specifically mentioned Ukraine as a topic. Kelly insists as well that no one ever asked her to keep Pompeos post-interview comments off-the-record.
Perhaps, not surprisingly given its brazen-it-out and never-apologizemodus operandi comments from Trump world are, at best, disappointing.
During an appearance with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin NetanyahuBenjamin (Bibi) NetanyahuMORE in the White House on Jan. 28, PresidentTrump pointed to the great Pompeo, inducing a standing ovation from the assembled guests. That reporter couldnt have done too good a job on you, Trump (who, in November 2015,mocked Serge Kovaleski, a New York Times reporter with a physical disability, and has often called the press the enemy of the people) said, I think you did a good job on her, actually.
In covering the incident,Fox News reportedthat NPR stood behind its reporter, but then changed the subject, reminding readers that in December 2018, her news organization had been forced to issue a lengthy correction after falsely accusing Donald TrumpDonald John TrumpFive takeaways: Fear of Trump hangs over Democratic debate Klobuchar raises million since start of debate Buttigieg, Sanders aim to build momentum from New Hampshire debate MORE Jr. of lying to the Senate about plans to build a Trump Tower in Moscow.
And presidential impeachment lawyer Alan DershowitzAlan Morton DershowitzPelosi: Republicans embraced 'darkest vision' of executive power by acquitting Trump Trump couldn't get Ukraine to smear Joe Biden, so Senate Republicans did it for him Trump's acquittal may have profound impact on presidential power MORE,who patted Pompeo on the backat the White House as Trump praised the Secretarys very impressive behavior, emphasized that he thoroughly disapproved of the way he has reportedly treated a reporter, only to opine (in a non-sequitur, usually applied to excuse the actions of demagogues and dictators) that if Pompeo can help bring about peace in the Middle East, Ill forgive him.
In an op-ed in theNew York Times, Kelly summarized whats at stake. Committed to the free and unfettered flow of information, journalists sit down with senior government officials to ask tough questions, on behalf of our fellow citizens, she wrote, and then share their answers or lack thereof with the world. Freedom of the press is enshrined in the Constitution so that people in positions of power will be held to account. The stakes are too high for their impulses and decisions not to be examined in as thoughtful and rigorous an interview as is possible.
These values, which are fundamental to democracy, it seems clear, are under assault. They deserve the visible and vocal support of every American.
Glenn C. Altschuler is the Thomas and Dorothy Litwin Professor of American Studies at Cornell University. He is the co-author (with Stuart Blumin) ofRude Republic: Americans and Their Politics in the Nineteenth Century.
Originally posted here:
- For 1st time, Freedom Conference to be held outside Steamboat; organizer blames local COVID-19 restrictions - Steamboat Pilot and Today - July 13th, 2020
- Current crises give cause to consider the meaning of 'freedom' in 2020 - Iowa City Press-Citizen - July 13th, 2020
- Freedom is the cure? - Post Register - July 13th, 2020
- Kahle: Freedom is our brand - Opinion - The Register-Guard - July 13th, 2020
- Kristiine Silinja: "I love exploration, adventures, and freedom. All that comes with a six-string bass" - Guitar World - July 13th, 2020
- Don't let them take our freedom | Letters To The Editor - Uniontown Herald Standard - July 13th, 2020
- The Novels of Tension Between Freedom and Disaster - The New York Review of Books - July 13th, 2020
- 'Optimism of the Will': Palestinian Freedom is Possible Now - Middle East Monitor - July 13th, 2020
- What American freedom means to a refugee from Iraq at a time of protests and pandemic - Chicago Sun-Times - July 13th, 2020
- Suicide of Egyptian activist Sarah Hegazi exposes the 'freedom and violence' of LGBTQ Muslims in exile - The Conversation US - July 13th, 2020
- A Black Alabama hero fights for America and freedom in new novel - AL.com - July 13th, 2020
- The joys of Czech tramping: Hiking with friendship, freedom and fun - The Guardian - July 13th, 2020
- With app bans, is Internet freedom being sacrificed for national security? | The Hindu Parley podcast - The Hindu - July 13th, 2020
- Citizens hold 'freedom drive' in place of parade - Silver City Daily Press and Independent - July 13th, 2020
- Rangila, the ''dancing bear'' rescued from Nepal, celebrates two years of freedom - Outlook India - July 13th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Freedom comes with responsibilities, so wear a mask - TribLIVE - July 13th, 2020
- Statement in support of OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media - PEN America - July 12th, 2020
- Celebrate the sounds of freedom | News, Sports, Jobs - Alpena News - July 12th, 2020
- Azerbaijan and Tajikistan block renewal of OSCE media freedom representative - The Shift News - July 12th, 2020
- Opinion: Freedom comes with the burden of responsibility - easternnewmexiconews.com - July 12th, 2020
- Oprah Winfrey and BFF Gayle King Reunite for "Freedom Dinner" After Negative Coronavirus Tests - E! NEWS - July 12th, 2020
- 'Give Me Freedom or Give Me Death': 13 Years Without Trial at Guantanamo, My Hunger Strike Is All I Have Left - Common Dreams - July 12th, 2020
- Congress' decision seen as a slap to freedom of press - The Star Online - July 12th, 2020
- Post-lockdown camping: 'It's a taste of freedom' - The Guardian - July 12th, 2020
- Freedom in Ukraine: Moving in the right direction? - The Ukrainian Weekly - July 12th, 2020
- Healing, Justice, and Freedom, as Defined by #BlackLivesMatter - Greatist - July 12th, 2020
- Survival of Americas experiment depends on how we use freedom - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - July 12th, 2020
- Massive protests in Argentina demand justice and freedom; president Fernandez pledges to end the serial haters - MercoPress - July 12th, 2020
- MLS is officially back and more: Freedom Kicks for 9 July 2020 - Black And Red United - July 12th, 2020
- And When He Came to Himself (Luke 15:17) - July 11th, 2020
- MINISTER'S MOMENT / By REV. WILL WILSON | A Christian perspective on freedom - Kilgore News Herald - July 11th, 2020
- The impact of the health crisis on freedom of expression and media freedom - Report by the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Marija Pejinovi... - July 11th, 2020
- Suicide of Egyptian activist Sarah Hegazi exposes the 'freedom and violence' of LGBTQ Muslims in exile - The Ridgefield Press - July 11th, 2020
- Freedom Day Bailouts Get Several Men Behind Bars Out Before Father's Day | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - June 22nd, 2020
- This Week in Technology + Press Freedom: June 21, 2020 - Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press - June 22nd, 2020
- The Juneteenth flag is full of symbols. Here's what they mean - CNN - June 22nd, 2020
- We Have to Talk About Liberating Minds: Angela Davis' Quotes on Freedom - AnOther Magazine - June 22nd, 2020
- Journalism Instructor Leading Online Freedom of Information Event - Ole Miss News - June 22nd, 2020
- Dozens gather for freedom march and rally in downtown Columbus - 10TV - June 22nd, 2020
- Justice Thomas concludes that the "freedom of speech" is a Privilege or Immunity under the 14th Amendment - Reason - June 22nd, 2020
- Freedom launches Pilot to simplify teleoperation on third-party robots - TechCrunch - June 22nd, 2020
- Gov. Stitt says Trump rally attendees 'have freedom to stay home' if concerned about contracting COVID-19 - Tulsa World - June 22nd, 2020
- Opinion: The freedom to take a knee - Houston Chronicle - June 22nd, 2020
- Politicized COVID-19 Response Imperils Both Freedom and Safety, States Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons - GlobeNewswire - June 22nd, 2020
- Julian Assange's fianc calls on the Australian government to secure his freedom - World Socialist Web Site - June 22nd, 2020
- 5th Annual Tybee Island Wade-In commemorates fight for freedom - WSAV-TV - June 22nd, 2020
- Pence to visit Texas for 'Freedom' event at megachurch - Monitor - June 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19: Freedom Means That We Can Do Stupid Things, Not That We Have To - Anchorage Press - June 22nd, 2020
- No restrictions on using firearms: India gives soldiers freedom along LAC in extraordinary times - Hindustan Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Aim to Achieve Financial Freedom in the Stock Market With This $30 Bundle - CT Post - June 22nd, 2020
- Freedom is never defined as mob rule | Opinion - nj.com - May 19th, 2020
- American freedom was tug-of-war from the start - York Dispatch - May 19th, 2020
- Finding the balance between safety and freedom in the shadow of COVID-19 - VentureBeat - May 19th, 2020
- In time of quarantine, we must resist Grand Inquisitors view of freedom - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom Does Not Mean Being on the Loose - Psychiatric Times - May 19th, 2020
- The van gives me such freedom: Custom conversion gives Eugene woman wheels on which to roam - The Register-Guard - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom is Never Free - The Hudson Reporter - May 19th, 2020
- Germany's flag burning ban is a threat to freedom of expression - Spectator.co.uk - May 19th, 2020
- What will we do with the new freedom to shop and dine? - cleveland.com - May 19th, 2020
- What does freedom mean in this moment? - The Irish Times - May 19th, 2020
- Event captures memories of Freedom Riders' heroic journey between Anniston and Birmingham - Bham Now - May 19th, 2020
- Are Contact Tracing Apps the Key to Lockdown Freedom? - Redbrick - May 19th, 2020
- Hundreds expected to gather for local Faith & Freedom Rally - KDRV - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom of information laws 'have failed to keep pace with public services' - Aberdeen Evening Express - May 19th, 2020
- Captain Tom Moore receives Freedom award during City of London's first 'virtual' ceremony - FE News - May 11th, 2020
- Boris Johnson's roadmap to ease lockdown will start with more freedom to exercise and back-to-work moves from Wednesday - Telegraph.co.uk - May 11th, 2020
- God alone is the source of liberty and freedom - Akron Beacon Journal - May 11th, 2020
- 'Deadly Dictatorship': How Rodrigo Duterte Has Attacked Freedom of the Media in Latest Closure of Main Broadcaster - The National Interest - May 11th, 2020
- Conjure Women is a tale of slavery and its aftermath - The Economist - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Haven Emergency Shelter and Transitional Living Home - - KUSI - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Festival events postponed to 2021, firework show will be held - Deseret News - May 11th, 2020
- Granite State confined at home find freedom and calm in the garden - The Union Leader - May 11th, 2020
- MSNBC contributor: Americans 'freedom-obsessed' to point 'we're blind to other types of threats' | TheHill - The Hill - May 11th, 2020
- Faith and freedom of choice are key ingredients for parenting - The New Indian Express - May 11th, 2020
- Just after Elon Musk denounced coronavirus lockdowns as infringements of freedom, research shows Britons are too scared to leave their homes anyway -... - May 11th, 2020
- Another Freedom Square resident has died of COVID-19 in Pinellas - Tampa Bay Times - May 11th, 2020
- Celebrating freedom in the same garden 75 years on - Jersey Evening Post - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Is An Issue That Stirs Voters - America's 1st Freedom - May 11th, 2020
- How You Can Advance the Cause of Reason and Freedom - New Ideal - May 11th, 2020
- As Spaniards got their first real taste of freedom this weekend, hundreds of them got arrested and thousands were fined - MarketWatch - May 11th, 2020