On Jan. 24, Secretary of StateMike Pompeo abruptly ended an interviewwith NPR reporter Mary Louise Kelly after she asked hima series of pointed questions about Ukraineand following his statement that he has defended all State Department personnel if he could point to his remarks defending Marie YovanovitchMarie YovanovitchTrump ousts impeachment witness Gordon Sondland Impeachment witness Alexander Vindman escorted from White House Yovanovitch: Standing up to our government should not be 'dangerous act' MORE, former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine. A few minutes later, a State Department official asked Kelly to accompany her (without a recorder) to Pompeos private living room. Inside the room, according to Kelly, Pompeo berated her, frequently using the f-word. Do you think Americans care about Ukraine?, he asked, and challenged her to identify the country on an unmarked map.
The following day,Pompeo issued a statementclaiming Kelly had violated the basic rules of journalism and decency, saying she lied to him about the subject of the interview and broke a promise to keep their subsequent exchange off the record (Kelly disputes both). Other than implying that Kelly (who has an advanced degree in European Studies from Cambridge University) mistook Bangladesh for Ukraine, he did not dispute Kellys account of his post-interview comments.
A few days later,the State Department barredNPR reporter Michele Kelemen from accompanying Pompeo on a trip to the United Kingdom, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. The Department did not give a reason for its decision.
Americans across the political spectrum should be denouncing the intimidation of a journalist. They arent.
To be sure,five Democratic senators condemnedPompeos behavior as insulting and contemptuous. Sen. Bob MenendezRobert (Bob) MenendezMedia's selective outrage exposed in McSally-Raju kerfuffle Dem senators say Iran threat to embassies not mentioned in intelligence briefing Overnight Defense: Iran crisis eases as Trump says Tehran 'standing down' | Dems unconvinced on evidence behind Soleimani strike | House sets Thursday vote on Iran war powers MORE declared that, As the United States chief diplomat, the Secretary of State should know that freedom of the press is a fundamental human right, a foundational pillar of democracy, and an indispensable check on authoritarian overreach. And the White House Correspondents Association called the retaliation against NPR outrageous and contrary to American values.
In the hyper-partisan, siloed world in which information is disseminated and issues are framed, however, millions of Americans have not learned thatemail exchangesbetween Kelly and aides to Pompeo demonstrate that the NPR reporter did not agree to limit her questions to Iran and ask no questions about Ukraine. Although her plan was to spend a healthy portion of the interview on Iran, she said I never agree to take anything off the table. She specifically mentioned Ukraine as a topic. Kelly insists as well that no one ever asked her to keep Pompeos post-interview comments off-the-record.
Perhaps, not surprisingly given its brazen-it-out and never-apologizemodus operandi comments from Trump world are, at best, disappointing.
During an appearance with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin NetanyahuBenjamin (Bibi) NetanyahuMORE in the White House on Jan. 28, PresidentTrump pointed to the great Pompeo, inducing a standing ovation from the assembled guests. That reporter couldnt have done too good a job on you, Trump (who, in November 2015,mocked Serge Kovaleski, a New York Times reporter with a physical disability, and has often called the press the enemy of the people) said, I think you did a good job on her, actually.
In covering the incident,Fox News reportedthat NPR stood behind its reporter, but then changed the subject, reminding readers that in December 2018, her news organization had been forced to issue a lengthy correction after falsely accusing Donald TrumpDonald John TrumpFive takeaways: Fear of Trump hangs over Democratic debate Klobuchar raises million since start of debate Buttigieg, Sanders aim to build momentum from New Hampshire debate MORE Jr. of lying to the Senate about plans to build a Trump Tower in Moscow.
And presidential impeachment lawyer Alan DershowitzAlan Morton DershowitzPelosi: Republicans embraced 'darkest vision' of executive power by acquitting Trump Trump couldn't get Ukraine to smear Joe Biden, so Senate Republicans did it for him Trump's acquittal may have profound impact on presidential power MORE,who patted Pompeo on the backat the White House as Trump praised the Secretarys very impressive behavior, emphasized that he thoroughly disapproved of the way he has reportedly treated a reporter, only to opine (in a non-sequitur, usually applied to excuse the actions of demagogues and dictators) that if Pompeo can help bring about peace in the Middle East, Ill forgive him.
In an op-ed in theNew York Times, Kelly summarized whats at stake. Committed to the free and unfettered flow of information, journalists sit down with senior government officials to ask tough questions, on behalf of our fellow citizens, she wrote, and then share their answers or lack thereof with the world. Freedom of the press is enshrined in the Constitution so that people in positions of power will be held to account. The stakes are too high for their impulses and decisions not to be examined in as thoughtful and rigorous an interview as is possible.
These values, which are fundamental to democracy, it seems clear, are under assault. They deserve the visible and vocal support of every American.
Glenn C. Altschuler is the Thomas and Dorothy Litwin Professor of American Studies at Cornell University. He is the co-author (with Stuart Blumin) ofRude Republic: Americans and Their Politics in the Nineteenth Century.
Originally posted here:
- Jennifer Kohan of Fellowship Freedom Plans selected as Top Director of the Year by the International Association of Top Professionals - TAPinto.net - March 4th, 2020
- Schools must earn the freedom to make decisions, says Premier - The Sydney Morning Herald - March 4th, 2020
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Supporting freedom; part of the package; end death penalty - NWAOnline - March 4th, 2020
- Darmanovi on Freedom of Religion Act: No need for international arbitrage in Montenegro - European Western Balkans - March 4th, 2020
- Freedom Solar: record profits and growth in Texas residential and commercial PV - pv magazine USA - March 4th, 2020
- How Some Union Bosses Menace American Workers' Freedom - The National Interest Online - March 4th, 2020
- Ask a North Korean: can money buy freedom in the DPRK? - NK News - March 4th, 2020
- Freedom in the World 2020: Armenia and Artsakh rated as 'partly free' - - March 4th, 2020
- Freedom of movement could be retained in Scotland post-Brexit - The Scotsman - March 4th, 2020
- The Reverse Freedom Rides And Their Long Aftermath : Code Switch - NPR - March 4th, 2020
- Freedom boys hoops clips No. 1 seed Allen, is 1 win away from ending 44-year drought - lehighvalleylive.com - March 4th, 2020
- A Tweet Shows How Scared Gun-Control Activists are of Women and Minorities Enjoying Their Freedom - America's 1st Freedom - March 4th, 2020
- Sophie and Hans Scholl died resisting the Nazis. Let's not take freedom for granted - TheArticle - March 4th, 2020
- Tacky's Revolt review: Britain, Jamaica, slavery and an early fight for freedom - The Guardian - March 4th, 2020
- These Are the 10 'Most Urgent' Threats to Press Freedom in March 2020 - TIME - March 4th, 2020
- Submariners from HMS Vengeance and Bury sea cadets exercise Freedom of Bury St Edmunds with parade in town centre | Latest Suffolk and Essex News -... - March 4th, 2020
- You can't have both religious freedom and religious dominance - Patheos - March 4th, 2020
- The Presidential Medal of Freedom: Its Just So Beautiful - RushLimbaugh.com - February 9th, 2020
- Both Freedom teams clinch NWC titles they hope to win outright next week - Morganton News Herald - February 9th, 2020
- Democracy and freedom of expression are under threat in Brazil - The Guardian - February 9th, 2020
- The Classic Novel That Saw Pleasure as a Path to Freedom - The New York Times - February 9th, 2020
- U.S. Launches The First-Ever International Religious Freedom Alliance - Forbes - February 9th, 2020
- You Will Find Your Freedom : Has Netflix Renewed Season 3 of OA? - Union Journalism - February 9th, 2020
- Bloomberg has thoughts on press freedom; the other candidates should give us theirs, too | TheHill - The Hill - February 9th, 2020
- Poetry, Walls and Freedom - The Wire - February 9th, 2020
- Azaadiphobia: Who is Afraid of Freedom and Why - NewsClick - February 9th, 2020
- The Most Abused Freedom of Information Act Exemption Still Needs to Be Reined In - Project On Government Oversight - February 9th, 2020
- Freedom unifies the soul: Trump's State of the Union speechwriters have thrown in the towel - The Guardian - February 9th, 2020
- Trump says he will award Rush Limbaugh with Medal of Freedom - msnNOW - February 9th, 2020
- Case of Freedom Trail guides headed to the NLRB - The Boston Globe - February 9th, 2020
- Freedom Project: Play highlights civil rights perspective of black women - Meridian Star - February 9th, 2020
- Arts Wave partners with the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center to celebrate Black History Month. - WLWT Cincinnati - February 9th, 2020
- Taking the Freedom Out of Freelancing - Foundation for Economic Education - Foundation for Economic Education - February 9th, 2020
- The freedom Bobby Hurley gives to players is often criticized, but it might end up saving ASU's season - The Athletic - February 9th, 2020
- The basis of freedom - SC Times - February 9th, 2020
- The freedom in not knowing - The Boston Globe - January 30th, 2020
- 3 things you need to know about Birmingham's proposed Freedom Walk - Bham Now - January 30th, 2020
- Support school choice and empower families with educational freedom - Washington Examiner - January 30th, 2020
- Huber, Freedom want one more shot at wrestling in their own gym - lehighvalleylive.com - January 30th, 2020
- Freedom of Speech Doesn't Mean You Have to Be a Jerk Online - catcountry1073.com - January 30th, 2020
- No to Trump's apartheid plan. Yes to freedom and justice for the Palestinians - Haaretz - January 30th, 2020
- The True Cost Of Freedom Gas - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- The long road to freedom - a giraffe is on the lam in Thailand - News965 - January 30th, 2020
- How An Enslaved Woman Sued And Won Her Freedom In 18th-Century Massachusetts - WBUR - January 30th, 2020
- Collings Foundation and FAA agree to temporary grounding of Wings of Freedom vintage planes - FOX61 Hartford - January 30th, 2020
- Sports: A Battlefield for Freedom of Expression and Political Change - besacenter.org - January 30th, 2020
- Jon Moxley '1000 percent' reinvigorated by creative freedom in All Elite Wrestling - WKYC.com - January 30th, 2020
- Melissa Martin: What happens when freedom of the press is silenced? - Cleburne Times-Review - January 1st, 2020
- Bagram's Afghan music night is the American base's other 'sound of freedom' - Stars and Stripes - January 1st, 2020
- Theros: Beyond Death Previews - Glimpse of Freedom and Sweet Oblivion MTG Arena Zone - MTG Arena Zone - January 1st, 2020
- Invest in Freedom: Support the Washington Monthly - Washington Monthly - January 1st, 2020
- Alabama's 200 years in 200 images: Freedom fighting from Iwo Jima to Selma - AL.com - January 1st, 2020
- Letter: Choice is simple freedom or slavery? - Northwest Herald - January 1st, 2020
- STORIES OF THE DECADE: Freedom boys hoops rallies to win 2013-14 state title at buzzer - Morganton News Herald - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom of the Seas Live Blog - Day 1 - Embarkation - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 1st, 2020
- Ring in the New Year with Freedom Soup: Recipe - FOX 29 News Philadelphia - January 1st, 2020
- OSCE Representative on Freedom of Media welcomes release of Aseev and Halaziuk - Ukrinform. Ukraine and world news - January 1st, 2020
- STORIES OF THE DECADE: Freedom girls go perfect in 2015-16 for programs 5th title - Morganton News Herald - January 1st, 2020
- Press freedom situation yet to be satisfactory: FNJ - Khabarhub - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom of the Seas 2019 Live Blog - Preview - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom from 3Cs - The Indian Express - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom, Real Dividend of Democracy - THISDAY Newspapers - January 1st, 2020
- Economic freedom, not government programs, the key to poverty reduction - Orange County Register - Daily Gaming Worlld - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom Synonyms, Freedom Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - December 27th, 2019
- Byrne: Freedom from Religion Foundation needs to "stop forcing their ungodly, un-American views down our throats" - alreporter.com - December 27th, 2019
- Western Balkans Have Yet to Embrace Freedom of Information - Balkan Insight - December 27th, 2019
- Video: King Willem-Alexander addresses the Dutch public on Christmas Day, stressing the importance of freedom - Royal Central - December 27th, 2019
- Freedom to offend is a right and essential to democracy, says outgoing press watchdog chairman - The Sun - December 27th, 2019
- Of Concerns and Waivers: Religious Freedom and US Interests in Central Asia - The Diplomat - December 27th, 2019
- Climate tariffs on fracked molecules of freedom: German think tank wants to punish US for sanctions against Nord Stream 2 - RT - December 27th, 2019
- Weekly Wrap: Winter Solstice celebrations and responses | Freedom From Religion Foundation - Patheos - December 27th, 2019
- 'Freedom for All': Enes Kanter finally allowed to travel outside the U.S. for game - The Globe and Mail - December 27th, 2019
- The Colorado Springs Gazette: Happy Hanukkah, a celebration of freedom - coloradopolitics.com - December 27th, 2019
- True freedom is learning to love yourself | Opinion | Pittsburgh - PGH City Paper - December 27th, 2019
- Freedom Of Assembly - The Nation - December 27th, 2019
- A Trump sweatshirt and some thoughts on freedom - LancasterOnline - December 27th, 2019
- To Pay For The Freedom Dividend, Andrew Yang Says Our Mental State Matters To The Math - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Freedom Township man arrested after excessive speeds on motorcyle - Record-Courier - December 26th, 2019
- It's Official: 'Freedom Gas' Is the Worst Phrase of the Year - Gizmodo - December 26th, 2019
- In Punjab, the Legacy of the Ghadar Movement Continues to Inspire the Fight for Justice - The Wire - December 26th, 2019