We the people have lost authority over our schools and desperately need educational freedom. The school system our founders created, designed to be free from government interference, has been hijacked by government intrusion, corrupt, union-controlled politicians, and entrenched special interests. These united forces are enriching themselves and radically transforming our culture through government-run public schools.
For example, disastrous new sex ed curricula, marked by explicit depictions and uber-liberal views of sexuality that sharply contradict the sincerely held values of most parents, have been forced on millions of families in schools.
Thats why hundreds of my fellow Californians and I traveled to Sacramento to force our state to provide parents opt-in protections and transparent, online access to full curricula content. Thousands of letters in support of our bill flooded the legislature, and hundreds voiced their support in person during the bills hearing in the Senate Education Committee on Jan. 15.
But we were shot down by union-controlled Democrats who voted unanimously to ignore parents in favor of the special interests pushing the sexualized content onto our children.
Before defeating our parent-sponsored bill, the committee chairwoman, state Sen. Connie Leyva, a Democrat from San Bernardino, lectured us from her throne. Using prideful and condescending tones, she dismissed our concerns and basically told us were too stupid to make decisions for our own children and too afraid to teach them about sex.
She also stated the law already permitted opt-in rights, even though it specifically denies them, as does Leyvas committees own legislative analysis of our bill. She then threatened to have us removed for instinctively reacting with gasps of horror while personally witnessing communist state-like injustices within the halls of our supposedly free republic.
We stupid parents and teachers are well versed in the entire law and painstakingly fight daily to expose the concealed, horrific, state-imposed materials foisted on our children. We had the facts and the Constitution on our side, but we lost anyway.
This is exactly the sort of state control our founders risked their lives to escape, and its just one example of why they provided safeguards to keep government out of our schools and the will of the people in. It will take us some time to fully remove the entrenched interests degrading our schools, but we must take immediate action to protect children today.
The quickest way to empower Americans is with educational freedom.
According to a recent national school choice poll, the vast majority of the country agrees wholeheartedly. A whopping 82% of Latinos, 68% of African Americans, 71% of millennials, and 82% of Republicans surveyed agreed that people should be permitted to use tax dollars to send their child to the public or private school which best serves their needs.
Its common sense, and its constitutional, but many pundits claim were running afoul of the Constitution if we permit tax dollars to be used at private religious schools or that religious schools must incorporate state-mandated instruction if they receive tax dollars.
Clearly, those pundits dont know the history of our country, nor do they understand the spirit of our constitutional republic.
Education freedom more closely mirrors the intentions of our founders, who never intended for students to be forced into public government-run schools that stomp on the face of parental authority and American values. Our founders knew the only way to keep a free republic is to have a well-educated and moral citizenry that can self-govern.
Thats why they used the Bible as the foundation for learning, in all schools, and empowered parents, church leaders, and educators to labor together to teach the children. Americas schools offered children a well-rounded education including rigorous, fact-based studies, lessons in wisdom and beauty, and moral literature that stirs the soul. We became the envy of the world because our citizens were empowered with moral goodness and deep knowledge.
The Trump administration has a bold and immediate solution that could jump-start our progress toward freedom from government intrusion. Under the leadership of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, Trump is proposing education freedom scholarships that states can choose to employ. These scholarships provide simple tax credits for those who choose to donate money for children to receive the education of their parents choice. There are safeguards protecting religious schools from government intrusion, too.
According to that 2020 national school choice poll, 83% of African Americans, 83% of Latinos, 78% of millennials, 67% of Democrats, and 77% of Republicans support education freedom scholarships.
Americans are desperate for the self-governance that springs from moral goodness and educational excellence. Our republic is in crisis thanks to government-run, communist-like, state-controlled education factories that intentionally undermine these values. Lets get back to our roots and, like our founders, lets fight for liberty.
The state may not impose its sexualized anti-morality religion on us, and it may not have our children, either.
Rebecca Friedrichs is the founder of For Kids & Country, the author of Standing Up to Goliath, and a 28-year public school teacher who led the fight against the divisive tactics, politics, and corruption of teachers unions as lead plaintiff in Friedrichs v CTA. Her Supreme Court case paved the way for a precedent-setting ruling that freed all public sector employees from forced unionism.
- For 1st time, Freedom Conference to be held outside Steamboat; organizer blames local COVID-19 restrictions - Steamboat Pilot and Today - July 13th, 2020
- Current crises give cause to consider the meaning of 'freedom' in 2020 - Iowa City Press-Citizen - July 13th, 2020
- Freedom is the cure? - Post Register - July 13th, 2020
- Kahle: Freedom is our brand - Opinion - The Register-Guard - July 13th, 2020
- Kristiine Silinja: "I love exploration, adventures, and freedom. All that comes with a six-string bass" - Guitar World - July 13th, 2020
- Don't let them take our freedom | Letters To The Editor - Uniontown Herald Standard - July 13th, 2020
- The Novels of Tension Between Freedom and Disaster - The New York Review of Books - July 13th, 2020
- 'Optimism of the Will': Palestinian Freedom is Possible Now - Middle East Monitor - July 13th, 2020
- What American freedom means to a refugee from Iraq at a time of protests and pandemic - Chicago Sun-Times - July 13th, 2020
- Suicide of Egyptian activist Sarah Hegazi exposes the 'freedom and violence' of LGBTQ Muslims in exile - The Conversation US - July 13th, 2020
- A Black Alabama hero fights for America and freedom in new novel - AL.com - July 13th, 2020
- The joys of Czech tramping: Hiking with friendship, freedom and fun - The Guardian - July 13th, 2020
- With app bans, is Internet freedom being sacrificed for national security? | The Hindu Parley podcast - The Hindu - July 13th, 2020
- Citizens hold 'freedom drive' in place of parade - Silver City Daily Press and Independent - July 13th, 2020
- Rangila, the ''dancing bear'' rescued from Nepal, celebrates two years of freedom - Outlook India - July 13th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Freedom comes with responsibilities, so wear a mask - TribLIVE - July 13th, 2020
- Statement in support of OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media - PEN America - July 12th, 2020
- Celebrate the sounds of freedom | News, Sports, Jobs - Alpena News - July 12th, 2020
- Azerbaijan and Tajikistan block renewal of OSCE media freedom representative - The Shift News - July 12th, 2020
- Opinion: Freedom comes with the burden of responsibility - easternnewmexiconews.com - July 12th, 2020
- Oprah Winfrey and BFF Gayle King Reunite for "Freedom Dinner" After Negative Coronavirus Tests - E! NEWS - July 12th, 2020
- 'Give Me Freedom or Give Me Death': 13 Years Without Trial at Guantanamo, My Hunger Strike Is All I Have Left - Common Dreams - July 12th, 2020
- Congress' decision seen as a slap to freedom of press - The Star Online - July 12th, 2020
- Post-lockdown camping: 'It's a taste of freedom' - The Guardian - July 12th, 2020
- Freedom in Ukraine: Moving in the right direction? - The Ukrainian Weekly - July 12th, 2020
- Healing, Justice, and Freedom, as Defined by #BlackLivesMatter - Greatist - July 12th, 2020
- Survival of Americas experiment depends on how we use freedom - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - July 12th, 2020
- Massive protests in Argentina demand justice and freedom; president Fernandez pledges to end the serial haters - MercoPress - July 12th, 2020
- MLS is officially back and more: Freedom Kicks for 9 July 2020 - Black And Red United - July 12th, 2020
- And When He Came to Himself (Luke 15:17) - July 11th, 2020
- MINISTER'S MOMENT / By REV. WILL WILSON | A Christian perspective on freedom - Kilgore News Herald - July 11th, 2020
- The impact of the health crisis on freedom of expression and media freedom - Report by the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Marija Pejinovi... - July 11th, 2020
- Suicide of Egyptian activist Sarah Hegazi exposes the 'freedom and violence' of LGBTQ Muslims in exile - The Ridgefield Press - July 11th, 2020
- Freedom Day Bailouts Get Several Men Behind Bars Out Before Father's Day | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - June 22nd, 2020
- This Week in Technology + Press Freedom: June 21, 2020 - Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press - June 22nd, 2020
- The Juneteenth flag is full of symbols. Here's what they mean - CNN - June 22nd, 2020
- We Have to Talk About Liberating Minds: Angela Davis' Quotes on Freedom - AnOther Magazine - June 22nd, 2020
- Journalism Instructor Leading Online Freedom of Information Event - Ole Miss News - June 22nd, 2020
- Dozens gather for freedom march and rally in downtown Columbus - 10TV - June 22nd, 2020
- Justice Thomas concludes that the "freedom of speech" is a Privilege or Immunity under the 14th Amendment - Reason - June 22nd, 2020
- Freedom launches Pilot to simplify teleoperation on third-party robots - TechCrunch - June 22nd, 2020
- Gov. Stitt says Trump rally attendees 'have freedom to stay home' if concerned about contracting COVID-19 - Tulsa World - June 22nd, 2020
- Opinion: The freedom to take a knee - Houston Chronicle - June 22nd, 2020
- Politicized COVID-19 Response Imperils Both Freedom and Safety, States Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons - GlobeNewswire - June 22nd, 2020
- Julian Assange's fianc calls on the Australian government to secure his freedom - World Socialist Web Site - June 22nd, 2020
- 5th Annual Tybee Island Wade-In commemorates fight for freedom - WSAV-TV - June 22nd, 2020
- Pence to visit Texas for 'Freedom' event at megachurch - Monitor - June 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19: Freedom Means That We Can Do Stupid Things, Not That We Have To - Anchorage Press - June 22nd, 2020
- No restrictions on using firearms: India gives soldiers freedom along LAC in extraordinary times - Hindustan Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Aim to Achieve Financial Freedom in the Stock Market With This $30 Bundle - CT Post - June 22nd, 2020
- Freedom is never defined as mob rule | Opinion - nj.com - May 19th, 2020
- American freedom was tug-of-war from the start - York Dispatch - May 19th, 2020
- Finding the balance between safety and freedom in the shadow of COVID-19 - VentureBeat - May 19th, 2020
- In time of quarantine, we must resist Grand Inquisitors view of freedom - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom Does Not Mean Being on the Loose - Psychiatric Times - May 19th, 2020
- The van gives me such freedom: Custom conversion gives Eugene woman wheels on which to roam - The Register-Guard - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom is Never Free - The Hudson Reporter - May 19th, 2020
- Germany's flag burning ban is a threat to freedom of expression - Spectator.co.uk - May 19th, 2020
- What will we do with the new freedom to shop and dine? - cleveland.com - May 19th, 2020
- What does freedom mean in this moment? - The Irish Times - May 19th, 2020
- Event captures memories of Freedom Riders' heroic journey between Anniston and Birmingham - Bham Now - May 19th, 2020
- Are Contact Tracing Apps the Key to Lockdown Freedom? - Redbrick - May 19th, 2020
- Hundreds expected to gather for local Faith & Freedom Rally - KDRV - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom of information laws 'have failed to keep pace with public services' - Aberdeen Evening Express - May 19th, 2020
- Captain Tom Moore receives Freedom award during City of London's first 'virtual' ceremony - FE News - May 11th, 2020
- Boris Johnson's roadmap to ease lockdown will start with more freedom to exercise and back-to-work moves from Wednesday - Telegraph.co.uk - May 11th, 2020
- God alone is the source of liberty and freedom - Akron Beacon Journal - May 11th, 2020
- 'Deadly Dictatorship': How Rodrigo Duterte Has Attacked Freedom of the Media in Latest Closure of Main Broadcaster - The National Interest - May 11th, 2020
- Conjure Women is a tale of slavery and its aftermath - The Economist - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Haven Emergency Shelter and Transitional Living Home - - KUSI - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Festival events postponed to 2021, firework show will be held - Deseret News - May 11th, 2020
- Granite State confined at home find freedom and calm in the garden - The Union Leader - May 11th, 2020
- MSNBC contributor: Americans 'freedom-obsessed' to point 'we're blind to other types of threats' | TheHill - The Hill - May 11th, 2020
- Faith and freedom of choice are key ingredients for parenting - The New Indian Express - May 11th, 2020
- Just after Elon Musk denounced coronavirus lockdowns as infringements of freedom, research shows Britons are too scared to leave their homes anyway -... - May 11th, 2020
- Another Freedom Square resident has died of COVID-19 in Pinellas - Tampa Bay Times - May 11th, 2020
- Celebrating freedom in the same garden 75 years on - Jersey Evening Post - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Is An Issue That Stirs Voters - America's 1st Freedom - May 11th, 2020
- How You Can Advance the Cause of Reason and Freedom - New Ideal - May 11th, 2020
- As Spaniards got their first real taste of freedom this weekend, hundreds of them got arrested and thousands were fined - MarketWatch - May 11th, 2020