THE PSNI is "working extremely hard" to eliminate its backlog of unanswered Freedom of Information requests, a senior police officer has said.
Assistant Chief Constable Alan Todd there has been a "significant reduction" after recruiting new staff, and police are providing the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) watchdog with monthly updates.
Last year it emerged police had amassed a backlog of nearly 300 unanswered FOIs amounting to more than a fifth of requests received at the time.
It prompted concerns from politicians and transparency campaigners who warned that it impacted scrutiny of policing if problems continued.
FOI legislation gives people a right of access to an array of information held by public bodies and has often been used by campaigners and journalists to expose issues, such as the MPs' expenses scandal.
Under the law, public bodies must reply to FOI requests promptly and within 20 working days, but there have been significant delays to many police FOI responses.
Last year's backlog of 273 requests which had not been responded to within the legislative timescale has since been reduced to 69.
Mr Todd said the PSNI received 1,459 FOI requests in 2018 and 1,389 in 2019 so far.
He said the PSNI's Corporate Information Branch now has 21 full-time staff attached to it, with 10 new employees joining since last year.
"In total 163 requests remain outstanding, of which 83 are actively being processed. Of those outstanding requests, 69 have not been responded to within the 20 day timescale set out by section 10 of the Freedom of Information Act," he said.
Mr Todd said the PSNI meets with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) and provides the watchdog with monthly updates on the progress on delivering an action plan to eradicate the backlog.
He added: "The Police Service of Northern Ireland has been working extremely hard to eradicate its backlogs including resourcing new staff, implementing training and working closely with the Information Commissioner's Office in keeping them updated on progress.
"Whilst backlog numbers have fallen, we will continue to advance this work until all requests received by us are answered promptly and in line with legislative timescales.
"PSNI takes its obligations toward request handling very seriously and understands that the Freedom of Information legislation provides an important framework for the public to access information held by public authorities and fosters a culture of transparency and accountability in all public bodies including PSNI."
An ICO spokesman said: "Following advice and engagement from the ICO, Police Service Northern Ireland has been making progress in dealing with a backlog of delayed responses to Freedom of Information requests.
"While such improvement is welcome, the ICO will continue to monitor the force's performance in order to assist it to make necessary further improvements and achieve compliance with its statutory responsibilities."
See more here:
- Freedom and the pursuit of safety - The Boston Globe - August 10th, 2020
- Texas History: Sizing up daily lives in the states freedom colonies - Brownwood Bulletin - August 10th, 2020
- Columbia Professor Sarah Seo to Talk about 'Cars, Police and Freedom in the United States' on Thursday - Redheaded Blackbelt - August 10th, 2020
- Finding Freedom by Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand Harry and Meghan and the making of a modern royal family - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- She Wanted More Freedom and Meaning From Her Career - The Story Exchange - August 10th, 2020
- This Week in Washington IP: Injunctions for SEPs, How Innovation Flourishes in Freedom, and Reviewing SBIR/STTR at the National Science Foundation -... - August 10th, 2020
- Adolescent bodily integrity and freedom from violence in Ethiopia - Ethiopia - ReliefWeb - August 10th, 2020
- Breaking the loan shackle: How to win freedom from debt - Moneycontrol.com - August 10th, 2020
- Behind The Blue: 'Embattled Freedom' And Confederate Memorials - Patch.com - August 10th, 2020
- Mapping Media Freedom: Big Increase in Threats Reported in Albania During 2020 - Exit - Explain Albania - August 10th, 2020
- Flight to Freedom: Pilot lands in Nueces County to pick up two abandoned dogs due to pandemic and flies them to their new foster home - KIIITV.com - August 10th, 2020
- Opinion | With Trump appointing anti-abortion judges, the fight for reproductive freedom is critical - Street Roots News - August 10th, 2020
- 'Behind the Blue': 'Embattled Freedom' and Confederate Memorials With Amy Murrell Taylor - UKNow - August 10th, 2020
- Trump's Threat to Press Freedom Is Global - Truthout - August 10th, 2020
- OPINION: What freedom means to the United States - The Student Life - August 10th, 2020
- Woman claiming to be from 'Freedom to Breathe Agency' gets into viral exchange with store employee over mask policy | TheHill - The Hill - August 10th, 2020
- UNSW criticised for letter in Chinese with no mention of freedom of speech - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- COVID19: Is there freedom in silence? - Financial Mirror - August 10th, 2020
- Freedom and justice for ALL | Other Opinions - Aitkin Independent Age - August 7th, 2020
- Girl Hides Audition From Dad, Finds Her 'Freedom In Singing' Watch What Happens Next - Talent Recap - August 7th, 2020
- Masks to freedom: Wearing masks will bring back freedom - The Milpitas Beat - August 7th, 2020
- Tamika Mallory Of Until Freedom Criticizes The California District Attorneys Association's Request For The NFL To Pull Stephon Clark PSA - PRNewswire - August 7th, 2020
- The never-ending struggle: blending freedom and justice, with a dash of compassion - MinnPost - August 7th, 2020
- Freedom in THE SON! - Blogs - The Hutchinson News - August 7th, 2020
- Pardon our noise, it's the sound of freedom: Jaded Thunder returns - Salina Post - August 7th, 2020
- Introduction to the Freedom of Information Act | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - August 7th, 2020
- 'It's the freedom of it': Bikers rally in Stateline ahead of Sturgis, unconcerned about virus - The Spokesman-Review - August 7th, 2020
- Australia has a problem with freedom of speech - The Big Smoke Australia - August 7th, 2020
- Troubled Freedom Foods keeps it in the family for now - The Australian Financial Review - August 7th, 2020
- Letter: Marlboro's Degrees of Freedom can thrive - with innovation, collaboration - Brattleboro Reformer - August 2nd, 2020
- 'Freedom' rally in Twin Falls decries moderate Republicans, public education, masks and the media - bigcountrynewsconnection.com - August 2nd, 2020
- When it comes to freedom of the press, it is 'problematic' in many of the richest countries across the world - USA TODAY - August 2nd, 2020
- Editors opened the doors to Freedom School, then even wider as magazine of black thought - Cambridge Day - August 2nd, 2020
- Memorial honors families that have paid the ultimate price for America's freedom - Standard-Examiner - August 2nd, 2020
- 120 alerts in 4 months: Severe threats to press freedom across Europe - IFEX - August 2nd, 2020
- As feds attacks freedom, where's the right wing? - Santa Fe New Mexican - August 2nd, 2020
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are Doing the Opposite of 'Finding Freedom' - The Daily Beast - August 2nd, 2020
- Weve Neglected the Freedom of Assembly for Years Before Portland - Slate - August 2nd, 2020
- Did President Obama Award Jeffrey Epstein the Medal of Freedom? - Snopes.com - August 2nd, 2020
- Virtual NAACP Convention to kick off locally with "Freedom Weekend" - Dorchester Reporter - August 2nd, 2020
- Is the singers' freedom of expression absolute? - Annapurna Express - August 2nd, 2020
- Freedom goes hand in hand with restraint - Daily Nation - August 2nd, 2020
- Why Saifuddin Sozs Failure to Secure Freedom from 'House Arrest' Should Concern Us All - The Wire - August 2nd, 2020
- A community conversation on race and freedom - PAHomePage.com - August 2nd, 2020
- Sozs detention: Calling it freedom may be stretching law to breaking - The Times of India Blog - August 2nd, 2020
- Finding Freedom: 10 things we learned from Harry and Meghan's book - The Guardian - August 2nd, 2020
- Coronavirus Cases On The Rise In Italy. Freedom Does Not Mean Infecting Others - Forbes - July 31st, 2020
- Freedom Schools come to Wilmington, here's what the program is all about [Free read] - Port City Daily - July 31st, 2020
- Internet freedom is in imminent danger, claims Twitter boss Jack Dorsey in attack on other tech companies - The Independent - July 31st, 2020
- Hugo Spotlight: Ted Chiang's Anxiety is the Dizziness of Freedom Transforms the Familiar - tor.com - July 31st, 2020
- Captain Sir Tom Moore receives honorary freedom of his home town - shropshirestar.com - July 31st, 2020
- A Scary Fact Found in a Gun Survey on the Upcoming Election - America's 1st Freedom - July 31st, 2020
- Secret passageways and freedom roads: Remnants of the Underground Railroad in NC - WRAL.com - July 31st, 2020
- Award-Winning IPhone Photos Capture Global Scenes Of Freedom And Serenity : Goats and Soda - NPR - July 31st, 2020
- 155 Years of Black Freedom - Columbia Business Times - July 31st, 2020
- Fear of speech is replacing freedom of speech - The Boston Globe - July 31st, 2020
- "Freedom Festival" is planned this weekend - The Ellsworth American - July 31st, 2020
- Freedom worth fighting for right here in America - Times Union - July 31st, 2020
- TCW's Brexit Watch: Are we heading for a fake freedom? - The Conservative Woman - July 31st, 2020
- John Lewis: 'Now it is your turn to let freedom ring' | TheHill - The Hill - July 31st, 2020
- The Hard Right is a Far Greater Threat to Freedom of Speech than 'Cancel Culture' - Byline Times - July 31st, 2020
- On the internet, freedom for some never means freedom for all - The Spinoff - July 31st, 2020
- Freedom of the great outdoors - Farm and Dairy - July 31st, 2020
- The distance ahead: John Lewis, Gov. John Patterson and the challenges of reconciliation - Montgomery Advertiser - July 31st, 2020
- Joe Rogan is Moving to Texas, Says There's More Freedom There - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 30th, 2020
- Opinion: Turkey closing window on press freedom - DW (English) - July 30th, 2020
- THIS WEEK IN HISTORY: Freedoms Davis adds to banner year - Morganton News Herald - July 30th, 2020
- Two years after Janus, more workers are exercising their freedom of association - San Bernardino County Sun - July 30th, 2020
- Freedom of speech is a right, but is there a line drawn for teachers - MyFoxZone.com KIDY - July 30th, 2020
- Berta Cceres in her own words - Toward Freedom - July 30th, 2020
- Letters: An alarming threat to our freedom to speak freely - HeraldScotland - July 30th, 2020
- How the automobile is giving us back our freedom in the summer of COVID-19 - Driving - July 30th, 2020
- Weekend Protest Round-Up: Massive Crowds, Unpredictable Tear Gas, More Freedom for the Press - The Portland Mercury - July 30th, 2020
- Freedom Healthy Cooking Oils Launches a campaign #Immunity begins in the Kitchen - PR Newswire India - July 29th, 2020
- Guest editorial: Mask-wearing protects freedom and the economy - Lewiston Morning Tribune - July 29th, 2020
- The Venus in Scorpio finds freedom with new single Roam - CelebMix - July 29th, 2020
- NLRB Decision Gives Employers More Freedom to Address Offensive and Abusive Conduct - JD Supra - July 29th, 2020
- What Prince William Thinks of the New Finding Freedom Book About the Royal Family - Us Weekly - July 29th, 2020
- Religious freedom is no reason to deny people with disabilities the right to equality in the workplace | TheHill - The Hill - July 29th, 2020
- Repealing Ohio's CAT Will Enhance Economic Freedom and Opportunity - Buckeye Institute - July 29th, 2020