THE PSNI is "working extremely hard" to eliminate its backlog of unanswered Freedom of Information requests, a senior police officer has said.
Assistant Chief Constable Alan Todd there has been a "significant reduction" after recruiting new staff, and police are providing the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) watchdog with monthly updates.
Last year it emerged police had amassed a backlog of nearly 300 unanswered FOIs amounting to more than a fifth of requests received at the time.
It prompted concerns from politicians and transparency campaigners who warned that it impacted scrutiny of policing if problems continued.
FOI legislation gives people a right of access to an array of information held by public bodies and has often been used by campaigners and journalists to expose issues, such as the MPs' expenses scandal.
Under the law, public bodies must reply to FOI requests promptly and within 20 working days, but there have been significant delays to many police FOI responses.
Last year's backlog of 273 requests which had not been responded to within the legislative timescale has since been reduced to 69.
Mr Todd said the PSNI received 1,459 FOI requests in 2018 and 1,389 in 2019 so far.
He said the PSNI's Corporate Information Branch now has 21 full-time staff attached to it, with 10 new employees joining since last year.
"In total 163 requests remain outstanding, of which 83 are actively being processed. Of those outstanding requests, 69 have not been responded to within the 20 day timescale set out by section 10 of the Freedom of Information Act," he said.
Mr Todd said the PSNI meets with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) and provides the watchdog with monthly updates on the progress on delivering an action plan to eradicate the backlog.
He added: "The Police Service of Northern Ireland has been working extremely hard to eradicate its backlogs including resourcing new staff, implementing training and working closely with the Information Commissioner's Office in keeping them updated on progress.
"Whilst backlog numbers have fallen, we will continue to advance this work until all requests received by us are answered promptly and in line with legislative timescales.
"PSNI takes its obligations toward request handling very seriously and understands that the Freedom of Information legislation provides an important framework for the public to access information held by public authorities and fosters a culture of transparency and accountability in all public bodies including PSNI."
An ICO spokesman said: "Following advice and engagement from the ICO, Police Service Northern Ireland has been making progress in dealing with a backlog of delayed responses to Freedom of Information requests.
"While such improvement is welcome, the ICO will continue to monitor the force's performance in order to assist it to make necessary further improvements and achieve compliance with its statutory responsibilities."
See more here:
- Melissa Martin: What happens when freedom of the press is silenced? - Cleburne Times-Review - January 1st, 2020
- Bagram's Afghan music night is the American base's other 'sound of freedom' - Stars and Stripes - January 1st, 2020
- Theros: Beyond Death Previews - Glimpse of Freedom and Sweet Oblivion MTG Arena Zone - MTG Arena Zone - January 1st, 2020
- Invest in Freedom: Support the Washington Monthly - Washington Monthly - January 1st, 2020
- Alabama's 200 years in 200 images: Freedom fighting from Iwo Jima to Selma - AL.com - January 1st, 2020
- Letter: Choice is simple freedom or slavery? - Northwest Herald - January 1st, 2020
- STORIES OF THE DECADE: Freedom boys hoops rallies to win 2013-14 state title at buzzer - Morganton News Herald - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom of the Seas Live Blog - Day 1 - Embarkation - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 1st, 2020
- Ring in the New Year with Freedom Soup: Recipe - FOX 29 News Philadelphia - January 1st, 2020
- OSCE Representative on Freedom of Media welcomes release of Aseev and Halaziuk - Ukrinform. Ukraine and world news - January 1st, 2020
- STORIES OF THE DECADE: Freedom girls go perfect in 2015-16 for programs 5th title - Morganton News Herald - January 1st, 2020
- Press freedom situation yet to be satisfactory: FNJ - Khabarhub - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom of the Seas 2019 Live Blog - Preview - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom from 3Cs - The Indian Express - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom, Real Dividend of Democracy - THISDAY Newspapers - January 1st, 2020
- Economic freedom, not government programs, the key to poverty reduction - Orange County Register - Daily Gaming Worlld - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom Synonyms, Freedom Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - December 27th, 2019
- Byrne: Freedom from Religion Foundation needs to "stop forcing their ungodly, un-American views down our throats" - alreporter.com - December 27th, 2019
- Western Balkans Have Yet to Embrace Freedom of Information - Balkan Insight - December 27th, 2019
- Video: King Willem-Alexander addresses the Dutch public on Christmas Day, stressing the importance of freedom - Royal Central - December 27th, 2019
- Freedom to offend is a right and essential to democracy, says outgoing press watchdog chairman - The Sun - December 27th, 2019
- Of Concerns and Waivers: Religious Freedom and US Interests in Central Asia - The Diplomat - December 27th, 2019
- Climate tariffs on fracked molecules of freedom: German think tank wants to punish US for sanctions against Nord Stream 2 - RT - December 27th, 2019
- Weekly Wrap: Winter Solstice celebrations and responses | Freedom From Religion Foundation - Patheos - December 27th, 2019
- 'Freedom for All': Enes Kanter finally allowed to travel outside the U.S. for game - The Globe and Mail - December 27th, 2019
- The Colorado Springs Gazette: Happy Hanukkah, a celebration of freedom - coloradopolitics.com - December 27th, 2019
- True freedom is learning to love yourself | Opinion | Pittsburgh - PGH City Paper - December 27th, 2019
- Freedom Of Assembly - The Nation - December 27th, 2019
- A Trump sweatshirt and some thoughts on freedom - LancasterOnline - December 27th, 2019
- To Pay For The Freedom Dividend, Andrew Yang Says Our Mental State Matters To The Math - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Freedom Township man arrested after excessive speeds on motorcyle - Record-Courier - December 26th, 2019
- It's Official: 'Freedom Gas' Is the Worst Phrase of the Year - Gizmodo - December 26th, 2019
- In Punjab, the Legacy of the Ghadar Movement Continues to Inspire the Fight for Justice - The Wire - December 26th, 2019
- The Times view on freedom of speech: Taking Offence - The Times - December 26th, 2019
- Students at elite Shanghai university protest the removal of "freedom of thought" from the school charter - Boing Boing - December 21st, 2019
- Why Freedom Gas Was Voted The Worst Phrase Of The Year - OilPrice.com - December 21st, 2019
- Review: Wing Freedom e-bike wins style points and it works great, too! - Electrek - December 21st, 2019
- Explained: Reading Bangladesh provisions for citizenship and freedom of religion - The Indian Express - December 21st, 2019
- Tennessee football: Vols now have freedom to target top 2020 prospects - All for Tennessee - December 21st, 2019
- Andrew Yang: 'If we had a freedom dividend, I would not be the only candidate of color on the stage' - USA TODAY - December 21st, 2019
- My shortwave radio still speaks of freedom | Comment - The Times - December 21st, 2019
- Chinese University Drops 'Freedom of Thought' From Charter - Inside Higher Ed - December 19th, 2019
- Freedom, Peace, and Justice: The Surprising Success of Sudan's Glorious Revolution - Just Security - December 19th, 2019
- The Gift of Fire: The Purpose of Capital as Freedom - Nonprofit Quarterly - December 19th, 2019
- Fuel the Fight for Reason, Individualism and Freedom - New Ideal - December 19th, 2019
- Top Chinese Universities Amend Charters to Remove Reference to Freedom - Radio Free Asia - December 19th, 2019
- Leading Chinese university drops 'freedom of thought' from charter - Bangkok Post - December 19th, 2019
- Jeff Bezos Freedom's Wings Award Highlights the Annual Living Legends of Aviation Awards - PRNewswire - December 19th, 2019
- POV: Trump's Executive Order Aimed at Protecting Jews Will Have a Chilling Effect on Freedom of Speech at Colleges - BU Today - December 19th, 2019
- Maple Leafs Prospect Report: Growlers giving Hollowell more freedom, Agostino dominant in AHL and more - The Athletic - December 19th, 2019
- Giving back to those who gave us freedom. - Verizon Communications - December 19th, 2019
- Opinion: The danger facing journalists in Hong Kong is a threat to press freedom everywhere - Los Angeles Times - December 19th, 2019
- Jodie Turner-Smith Reflects On Finally Loving Herself: 'I Hated Myself And Hated The Dark Skin' - Essence - December 19th, 2019
- Harvey Weinstein Is Trying To Buy His Freedom & Innocence. I See Right Through It. - Refinery29 - December 19th, 2019
- Amnesty International Canada Questions Freedom of Speech and Assembly - Reason - December 12th, 2019
- CoE urges Azerbaijan to respect freedom of expression, support IDPs - Emerging Europe - December 12th, 2019
- Lebron and student athletes alike deserve freedom to speak - The Tide - December 12th, 2019
- Fox host lambasts Trump over 'most sustained assault on press freedom in US history' - The Guardian - December 12th, 2019
- Bethlehem Catholic girls basketball shakes off early nerves in win over Freedom - lehighvalleylive.com - December 12th, 2019
- How This 17-Year-Old Rapper Found Freedom In Self-Expression - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 12th, 2019
- European rights body urges Azerbaijan to respect freedom of expression - Reuters - December 12th, 2019
- Minnesota Brothers Have Taught Firearms Safety Together for More Than 50 Years - America's 1st Freedom - December 12th, 2019
- Freedom wrestling rolls to championship at Battle of Bethlehem - lehighvalleylive.com - December 12th, 2019
- Hong Kong's Struggle Against Tyranny, and Why It Matters - City Journal - December 12th, 2019
- OSCE warns Albania not to block freedom of expression online - The San Diego Union-Tribune - December 12th, 2019
- Democracy in Iraq Depends on Press Freedom - Foreign Policy - December 12th, 2019
- National Security Podcast: Freedom of the press - Policy Forum - December 12th, 2019
- Interview: the Scottish Information Commissioner on freedom of information - Holyrood - December 12th, 2019
- How the U.S. was able to win Princeton University students freedom from Iran - NJ.com - December 12th, 2019
- Charlottes bad names, Matthew McConaughey, and Metro standing - Black And Red United - December 12th, 2019
- View: Women riding vehicles are busy wresting their freedom to be a person, forgetting their worst fears - Economic Times - December 12th, 2019
- Sea Ray and Freedom Boat Club win National Safety Awards - Yahoo Finance - December 2nd, 2019
- Freedom From Religion Group Speaking Out Against Kanye West Program in Jail - All On Georgia - December 2nd, 2019
- Facts are under siege. Now, more than ever, we need to invest in journalism - The Guardian - December 2nd, 2019
- Australias proposed defamation law overhaul will expand media freedom but at what cost? - The Conversation - Australia - December 2nd, 2019
- Opinion/Editorial: Law preserving freedom of action should stay - The Daily Progress - December 2nd, 2019
- YouTube CEO on censoring content: Balance responsibility with freedom of speech - Yahoo Celebrity - December 2nd, 2019
- Sakharov Walk of Freedom: inauguration ceremony | News - EU News - December 2nd, 2019
- Book on US religious freedom starts with the Founders but forgets seeds of secularism - National Catholic Reporter - December 2nd, 2019
- Understanding the SCAs freedom of expression judgment - Daily Maverick - December 2nd, 2019