At a string of small reopen America protests across the country this week, mask-less citizens proudly flouted social distancing guidance while openly carrying semiautomatic rifles and waving American flags and signs with ironic swastikas. They organized chants to lock up female Democrat governors and to fire the countrys top infectious disease experts. At one point during protests at the Michigan Capitol, the groups orchestrated gridlock blocked an ambulance en route to a nearby hospital.
For those whove chosen to put their trust in science during the pandemic its hard to fathom the decision to gather to protest while a deadly viral pathogen transmitted easily by close contact and spread by symptomatic and asymptomatic people alike ravages the country. But it shouldnt come as a surprise. This weeks public displays of defiance a march for the freedom to be infected are the logical conclusion of the modern far-rights donor-funded, shock jock-led liberty movement. It was always headed here.
Few demonstrate this movement better than Alex Jones of Infowars one of the key figures of Saturdays You Cant Close America rally on the steps of the Capitol building in Austin, Tex. For decades, Mr. Jones has built a thriving media empire harnessing (real and understandable) fear, paranoia and rage, which in turn drive sales of vitamin supplements and prepper gear in his personal store. The Infowars strategy is simple: Instill a deep distrust in all authority, while promoting a seductive, conspiratorial alternate reality in which Mr. Jones, via his outlandish conspiracies, has all the answers. Hes earned the trust of a non-trivial number of Americans, and used it to stoke his ego and his bank account. And he never lets reality get in the way (case in point, holding a stay-at-home order protest in Texas the day after the state announced it would begin efforts to carefully reopen in coming weeks).
Former employees have described Mr. Jones to me as master of manipulating the truth into a convenient worldview in which Infowars and its listeners are constantly victimized by powerful institutional forces. We kept saying Were the underdogs that was our mantra, one former employee told me in 2017. To make this work, Mr. Jones molds the days news into conspiratorial fables.
A novel virus about which so much is unknown and where expert opinion is constantly shifting is a near perfect subject for Infowars to fit the news to its paranoid narrative. Uncertainty over the viruss origins in China is a springboard to float unproven theories about bioweapons. Discussions about a vaccine to end the epidemic become conspiracies about billionaire tech leaders pushing population control. Changing epidemiological models that show fewer projected Covid-19 deaths (because social distancing has worked to slow infections) provide an opening for Mr. Jones to rant about stay-at-home lockdowns. Genuine fears about deeply unfair job losses and economic recession become reckless theories about Democrat-led plans to punish American citizens by driving them into poverty.
Jones opportunistic rantings fit neatly into a larger right-wing strategy, which has grown alongside Infowars. Just as Infowars rallies are tied to the media outlets financial interest in antigovernment paranoia, a few of this weeks rallies have been underwritten by political organizations with ties to the Republican Party and the Trump administration. Regardless of whos behind them, the intent is to sow division and attempt to reshape public opinion. As Voxs Jane Coaston wrote, theyre designed to pit Republican-voting areas of states against their Democratic-voting neighbors, even rural Republicans against urban Republicans.
Its important to note that the reopen protests have been generally small (at most, hundreds of people in states of millions of citizens responsibly staying at home) and dont even reflect the polled opinions of many conservatives. But they fit neatly into a larger campaign playbook and take on outsize importance. They take place frequently in swing states or states with Democratic governors and are plastered across social media, reported in mainstream organizations, openly cheered on by Fox News and right-wing media, and ultimately end up amplified (tacitly or explicitly) by the president. The strategy has worked well in recent years, consolidating support among the Trump base.
As a political movement, the Make America Great Again crowd relishes turning criticism from ideological opponents into a badge of honor. Confrontation of any kind is currency and people taking offense to their actions is a surefire sign that theyre correct. The MAGA mind-set prioritizes freedom above all especially the freedom from introspection, apologizing or ever admitting defeat. But the movement, which has been building since the Tea Party protests, has created a reflexive response among both Joness audience and far-right Trump supporters.
This response is disguised as an expression of liberty, but its a twisted, paranoid and racialized version. Slate editor Tom Scocca defined it recently as a political ideology where supporters are conditioned to believe that thinking about other peoples needs or interests in any way is tyranny by definition. This wholesale rejection of collective thinking is, as Vices Anna Merlan notes, the cornerstone of the anti-vaccine and health freedom movements, which reject public health because they dont think their choices affect other people.
Unmentioned by the protesters are the workers actually keeping America open, many of them afraid for their health, with no choice and in communities devastated by the virus. The result, as my Times colleagues described Saturday, is images of nearly all-white protesters demanding the governor relax restrictions while hoisting Trump signs and Confederate battle flags, as the virus disproportionately impacts Michigans black residents.
This coronavirus protest movement is merely the confluence of this perverted liberty ideology honed and pushed by Mr. Jones, right-wing interest groups and pro-Trump media and the dynamics of an online information ecosystem that prioritizes conflict to generate attention. When Infowars-style tactics meet online platforms the result is a flattening of all nuanced arguments of science and politics into a simplified struggle between patriots and tyrants. Small protests incorrectly blossom into a false national narrative.
And so here we are in 2020, protesting statewide lockdowns intended to save lives while thousands of Americans across the country grow sick and die each day. That a virus that demands a united front where our public health is only as strong as our least vigilant citizens should come at a moment of extreme polarization is a tragedy. But this moment is what weve been headed toward for years. And so the reopen America protests feel unconscionable and yet completely predictable. The playbook isnt new. The only thing thats changed are the stakes, which get higher every day.
The Times is committed to publishing a diversity of letters to the editor. Wed like to hear what you think about this or any of our articles. Here are some tips. And heres our email:email@example.com.
Follow The New York Times Opinion section on Facebook, Twitter (@NYTopinion) and Instagram.
Follow this link:
- Freedom Day Bailouts Get Several Men Behind Bars Out Before Father's Day | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - June 22nd, 2020
- This Week in Technology + Press Freedom: June 21, 2020 - Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press - June 22nd, 2020
- The Juneteenth flag is full of symbols. Here's what they mean - CNN - June 22nd, 2020
- We Have to Talk About Liberating Minds: Angela Davis' Quotes on Freedom - AnOther Magazine - June 22nd, 2020
- Journalism Instructor Leading Online Freedom of Information Event - Ole Miss News - June 22nd, 2020
- Dozens gather for freedom march and rally in downtown Columbus - 10TV - June 22nd, 2020
- Justice Thomas concludes that the "freedom of speech" is a Privilege or Immunity under the 14th Amendment - Reason - June 22nd, 2020
- Freedom launches Pilot to simplify teleoperation on third-party robots - TechCrunch - June 22nd, 2020
- Gov. Stitt says Trump rally attendees 'have freedom to stay home' if concerned about contracting COVID-19 - Tulsa World - June 22nd, 2020
- Opinion: The freedom to take a knee - Houston Chronicle - June 22nd, 2020
- Politicized COVID-19 Response Imperils Both Freedom and Safety, States Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons - GlobeNewswire - June 22nd, 2020
- Julian Assange's fianc calls on the Australian government to secure his freedom - World Socialist Web Site - June 22nd, 2020
- 5th Annual Tybee Island Wade-In commemorates fight for freedom - WSAV-TV - June 22nd, 2020
- Pence to visit Texas for 'Freedom' event at megachurch - Monitor - June 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19: Freedom Means That We Can Do Stupid Things, Not That We Have To - Anchorage Press - June 22nd, 2020
- No restrictions on using firearms: India gives soldiers freedom along LAC in extraordinary times - Hindustan Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Aim to Achieve Financial Freedom in the Stock Market With This $30 Bundle - CT Post - June 22nd, 2020
- Freedom is never defined as mob rule | Opinion - nj.com - May 19th, 2020
- American freedom was tug-of-war from the start - York Dispatch - May 19th, 2020
- Finding the balance between safety and freedom in the shadow of COVID-19 - VentureBeat - May 19th, 2020
- In time of quarantine, we must resist Grand Inquisitors view of freedom - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom Does Not Mean Being on the Loose - Psychiatric Times - May 19th, 2020
- The van gives me such freedom: Custom conversion gives Eugene woman wheels on which to roam - The Register-Guard - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom is Never Free - The Hudson Reporter - May 19th, 2020
- Germany's flag burning ban is a threat to freedom of expression - Spectator.co.uk - May 19th, 2020
- What will we do with the new freedom to shop and dine? - cleveland.com - May 19th, 2020
- What does freedom mean in this moment? - The Irish Times - May 19th, 2020
- Event captures memories of Freedom Riders' heroic journey between Anniston and Birmingham - Bham Now - May 19th, 2020
- Are Contact Tracing Apps the Key to Lockdown Freedom? - Redbrick - May 19th, 2020
- Hundreds expected to gather for local Faith & Freedom Rally - KDRV - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom of information laws 'have failed to keep pace with public services' - Aberdeen Evening Express - May 19th, 2020
- Captain Tom Moore receives Freedom award during City of London's first 'virtual' ceremony - FE News - May 11th, 2020
- Boris Johnson's roadmap to ease lockdown will start with more freedom to exercise and back-to-work moves from Wednesday - Telegraph.co.uk - May 11th, 2020
- God alone is the source of liberty and freedom - Akron Beacon Journal - May 11th, 2020
- 'Deadly Dictatorship': How Rodrigo Duterte Has Attacked Freedom of the Media in Latest Closure of Main Broadcaster - The National Interest - May 11th, 2020
- Conjure Women is a tale of slavery and its aftermath - The Economist - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Haven Emergency Shelter and Transitional Living Home - - KUSI - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Festival events postponed to 2021, firework show will be held - Deseret News - May 11th, 2020
- Granite State confined at home find freedom and calm in the garden - The Union Leader - May 11th, 2020
- MSNBC contributor: Americans 'freedom-obsessed' to point 'we're blind to other types of threats' | TheHill - The Hill - May 11th, 2020
- Faith and freedom of choice are key ingredients for parenting - The New Indian Express - May 11th, 2020
- Just after Elon Musk denounced coronavirus lockdowns as infringements of freedom, research shows Britons are too scared to leave their homes anyway -... - May 11th, 2020
- Another Freedom Square resident has died of COVID-19 in Pinellas - Tampa Bay Times - May 11th, 2020
- Celebrating freedom in the same garden 75 years on - Jersey Evening Post - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Is An Issue That Stirs Voters - America's 1st Freedom - May 11th, 2020
- How You Can Advance the Cause of Reason and Freedom - New Ideal - May 11th, 2020
- As Spaniards got their first real taste of freedom this weekend, hundreds of them got arrested and thousands were fined - MarketWatch - May 11th, 2020
- Lockdown phase one freedoms in Spains holiday island Mallorca - Euro Weekly News - May 11th, 2020
- Book Review: America, Guns, and Freedom - Accuracy in Academia - April 27th, 2020
- Accountability goes hand-in-hand with personal freedom, especially during adversity - Green Bay Press Gazette - April 27th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Freedom & rallies to reopen - TribLIVE - April 27th, 2020
- From The Editor: Barriers to Freedom - America's 1st Freedom - April 27th, 2020
- Freedom binds us all. Today is all about the greater good - News24 - April 27th, 2020
- Watchdog: Pandemic worsening threat to global media freedom - The Associated Press - April 27th, 2020
- Theodore Gaffney, who photographed the Freedom Riders as they protested segregation, dies of Covid-19 complications - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- This Week in Technology + Press Freedom: April 26, 2020 - Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press - April 27th, 2020
- 15:32 Armenia Ombudsman on freedom of expression in the country - Information-Analytic Agency NEWS.am - April 27th, 2020
- From lions to lambs: Covid-19 reveals supposedly freedom-loving British to be anything but, as we happily clap away our liberty - RT - April 27th, 2020
- Outrage as thousands abuse guidelines on first day of freedom - The Leader Newspaper Online - April 27th, 2020
- Freedom, the first casualty in Covid-19 war - Free Malaysia Today - April 27th, 2020
- Hazel C. Boone of Freedom Twp., OH - The Weekly Villager - April 27th, 2020
- Freedom Day: We have a way to go to be truly free - Daily Maverick - April 27th, 2020
- Whither freedom? - The News International - April 27th, 2020
- The rising cost of religious freedom in Vietnam | TheHill - The Hill - April 27th, 2020
- Calls for NHS workers to receive the Freedom of the Borough for their tireless bravery - Wrexham.com - April 27th, 2020
- Passover, Freedom and the Coronavirus | Clifford Rieders - The Times of Israel - April 11th, 2020
- Shaw warns that Freedom Mobile isn't adding as many customers as planned due to COVID-19 - CBC.ca - April 11th, 2020
- America Must Prove the Future Is Freedom - American Greatness - April 11th, 2020
- Israelis mark Passover, a celebration of freedom, in virtual isolation - Reuters - April 11th, 2020
- Eric Johnson on Breaking Patterns to Play with More Freedom - Premier Guitar - April 11th, 2020
- Freedom for man who killed brother in 1996 in argument over smoking - SILive.com - April 11th, 2020
- Whitmer issues order allowing delayed in-person processing of Freedom of Information Act requests - MLive.com - April 11th, 2020
- Wife of imprisoned former congressman cites COVID-19 risk in plea to Trump for husband's freedom | TheHill - The Hill - April 11th, 2020
- Freedom From Facebook Expands To Take On Google - Oakland News Now - April 11th, 2020
- Freedom in the time of COVID-19 - The New Indian Express - April 11th, 2020
- Dispute in Ireland over academic freedom and internationalization - Inside Higher Ed - April 11th, 2020
- Married With Kids: Freedom in the age of the coronavirus - Canadian Jewish News - April 11th, 2020
- 30 Years of Freedom: The Opposition Roundtable Laying the Groundwork for Democratic Hungary - Budapest Business Journal - April 11th, 2020
- The cost to freedom in the war against COVID-19 - Pursuit - April 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus has exposed the myth of British exceptionalism - The Guardian - April 11th, 2020