The Delta surge in Covid-19 seems to be receding. Thats good news, and not just because fewer people are dying. Fear of infection was one reason the economic recovery hit an air pocket in the third quarter. Resuming normal life will be a huge relief.
But the U.S. right is, in effect, trying to keep the pandemic going. We talk a lot about misinformation on social media, some of which surprise! appears to be the product of Russian disinformation. However, the role of the right-wing establishment has surely been far more important. Fox News serves up anti-vaccine messages almost every day. Republican governors have tried to ban vaccine mandates not just by local governments and school districts but by private businesses. Multiple Republican attorneys general have filed suit to stop federal vaccine mandates.
The expressed rationale for all this activity is that its about protecting freedom. In reality, while there are several reasons for vaccine resistance, politics is a significant driver of the agitation. A successful vaccination campaign could mean a successful Biden administration, and the right is determined to prevent that, no matter how many avoidable deaths result from vaccine sabotage. Its noteworthy that Fox has a very strict vaccination policy for its own employees.
Still, the case against vaccine mandates, however disingenuous, needs to be answered on the merits. Yet I at least have rarely seen the case against a right to refuse vaccination fully explained, even though you could hardly come up with a better example than Covid-19 vaccination if you wanted to design a hypothetical situation in which arguments for freedom of choice dont apply. And I think its worth spelling out exactly why.
First, personal choice is fine as long as your personal choices dont hurt other people. I may deplore the quality of your housekeeping, but its your own business; on the other hand, freedom doesnt include the right to dump garbage in the street.
And going unvaccinated during a pandemic does hurt other people which is why schools, in particular, have required vaccination against many diseases for generations. The unvaccinated are much more likely to contract the coronavirus, and hence potentially infect others, than those whove had their shots; theres also some evidence that even when vaccinated individuals become infected, theyre less likely to infect others than the unvaccinated.
Incidentally, the fact that breakthrough infections happen that some people get the virus despite being vaccinated actually strengthens the case for mandates, because it means that even those whove gotten their shots face some danger from those who refuse to follow suit.
And the harm done to others by rejecting vaccines goes beyond an increased risk of disease. The unvaccinated are far more likely than the vaccinated to require hospitalization, which means that they place stress on the health care system. They also impose financial costs on the general public, because given the prevalence of insurance both public and private, their hospital bills end up being largely covered by the rest of us.
Vaccination, then, should be considered a public duty, not a personal choice. But there would be a strong argument for public promotion of vaccines even if we were to somehow ignore the harm the unvaccinated impose on others and look only at the personal choice aspect. For this isnt an area in which individuals can be relied on to choose well.
Medicine, in case you havent noticed, is a complex and difficult subject. As a result, its an area where its a bad idea to leave people entirely to their own devices. The clamor for unproven treatments like taking hydroxychloroquine or ivermectin reminds us why we require that physicians be licensed and drugs be approved, rather than leaving it up to the public to decide whos qualified and which medication is safe and effective.
So you have to wonder why anyone would consider it a good idea when Floridas surgeon general urged people to downplay medical advice on vaccines and rely on their intuition and sensibilities.
Finally, the most contentious area in this whole argument involves vaccine and mask requirements for schools. And in this area, opponents of mandates arent making decisions for themselves theyre making decisions for their children, who have rights of their own and arent simply their parents property.
Now, U.S. law and tradition give parents a great deal of leeway, especially when religious beliefs are involved, but not absolute power over their childrens lives. Adults cant choose to deny their children basic education; they cant turn down lifesaving medical treatment. Thats why we have longstanding vaccine mandates for many childhood diseases. And the same logic applies to Covid-19.
Again, I dont know how many people really believe that vaccine requirements are an attack on freedom. But in any case, its important to understand that freedom is no reason to block a potential medical miracle.
Go here to see the original:
- Freedom: The History of an Idea - Foreign Policy Research Institute - June 19th, 2022
- Town Of Freedom Official Site - June 19th, 2022
- Pence skips Faith & Freedom conference. Is attacked by Trump anyways. - POLITICO - June 19th, 2022
- Juneteenth 2022: Freedom Songs on Apple Music - June 19th, 2022
- There's no freedom without reparations - The Connecticut Mirror - June 19th, 2022
- Freedom to Read Celebration, Supporting the Merritt Fund, and Featuring Banned Author David Levithan - ala.org - June 19th, 2022
- Is Technology in Photography Lowering the Bar or Increasing Freedom? - Fstoppers - June 19th, 2022
- Freedom From Fear: Anxiety and Depression Resource Organization - May 12th, 2022
- FREEDOM: Is it just another 'F' word now? - Millard County Chronicle Progress - May 12th, 2022
- Albuquerque Summerfest and Freedom 4th Headliners Announced - City of Albuquerque - May 12th, 2022
- The Freedom Foundation exists to tear down, not build up - Idaho EdNews - May 12th, 2022
- Russian Dissent Then and Now: 'For Your Freedom and Ours' - The Moscow Times - May 12th, 2022
- Freedom Historical Society to present 'Mount Washington Carriage Road and The Glen House' program - Conway Daily Sun - May 12th, 2022
- American Freedom Is Greater Than Slavery and Ends in Death - Tablet Magazine - May 12th, 2022
- The Press Freedom Index is Prepared With Bias and a Flawed Methodology - News18 - May 12th, 2022
- Guest column: GOP is out to limit voting and reproductive freedom - The Bulletin - May 12th, 2022
- Daly and Wallace lawsuit flagged for press freedom concerns - The Irish Times - May 12th, 2022
- Media polarisation risks press freedom and peace in conflict-hit Mali and Ethiopia - The Guardian - May 12th, 2022
- Afghanistan dispatch: 'The Taliban are the enemies of women's freedom' - JURIST - May 12th, 2022
- The Navy just launched a brand new ship it doesnt even want - Task & Purpose - May 12th, 2022
- Yoon stresses freedom, growth as he begins 5-year term - The Korea Herald - May 12th, 2022
- Opinion: More freedom or more death: A pandemic quandary we have yet to solve - The Globe and Mail - May 12th, 2022
- The freedom to divide: zoning and segregation in Connecticut - The Connecticut Mirror - April 28th, 2022
- Watch George Michael Freedom Uncut Trailer, Where the Late Singer Talks About the Pressures of Fame - Variety - April 28th, 2022
- In Our View: Religious freedom at core of Constitution - The Columbian - April 28th, 2022
- Black Girl Freedom Fund Invests Over $4 Million In 68 Organizations, Part Of #1Billion4BlackGirls Campaign - Forbes - April 28th, 2022
- Championing Consumer Freedom in Health Care | Opinion - Newsweek - April 28th, 2022
- Ed Buck and False 'Freedom' - The American Conservative - April 28th, 2022
- Thursday at 10: Preserving the past of the 'Freedom Mine' - WKOW - April 28th, 2022
- 10-rule manifesto by ai weiwei for empowerment and freedom of mind - Designboom - April 28th, 2022
- Texas Rangers Baseball Foundation accepting nominations for "Faces of Freedom" Military Program - MLB.com - April 28th, 2022
- Freedom of Expression - Caltech - April 28th, 2022
- "No Country Should Preach To Another": UK PM On 'Freedom In India' Debate - NDTV - April 28th, 2022
- Red zone 'freedom village' asked to leave twice by council - Stuff - April 28th, 2022
- Academic Freedom Alliance Letter on the University of Florida Situation - Reason - November 2nd, 2021
- Vaccination, Freedom and Responsibility - Coronavirus Coverage - State of the Planet - November 2nd, 2021
- Freedom football rules 2nd half to beat Liberty, claim city title - lehighvalleylive.com - November 2nd, 2021
- 'Economic freedom' rankings are contrived, meaningless nonsense - The Real News Network - November 2nd, 2021
- Central Valley Right to Life group claims vaccine protection law prohibits freedom of speech - Visalia Times-Delta and Tulare Advance-Register - November 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Community Projects Communicate The Message Of Freedom - Bitcoin Magazine - November 2nd, 2021
- Investigative Journalist Roohollah Zam Tops November Ranking Of The One Free Press Coalitions 10 Most Urgent Press Freedom Cases - Forbes - November 2nd, 2021
- Stalin inaugurates exhibition on freedom struggle - The Hindu - November 2nd, 2021
- G-20 Needs a Freedom and Prosperity Agenda More Than Ever - Heritage.org - November 2nd, 2021
- When Jane Johnson jeopardized her freedom for the people who aided her to escape from slavery - Face2Face Africa - November 2nd, 2021
- Letter: Responsibility of Freedom | Opinion | thepilot.com - Southern Pines Pilot - November 2nd, 2021
- Positive Vibes Only: Mayorkun Performs Liberating Track "Freedom" From His New Album 'Back In Office' - grammy.com - November 2nd, 2021
- Do vaccine mandates violate or support our freedom? Avoid anyone who thinks this question is easy - The Dallas Morning News - November 2nd, 2021
- Passing reveals pursuit of happiness, freedom and safety - District - November 2nd, 2021
- Freedom to Roam: The Rhythms Of Migration - Folk Radio UK - November 2nd, 2021
- Diversity Dialogues Raise Issues of Women's Rights, Sexual Identity and Individual Freedom - University of Arkansas Newswire - February 20th, 2021
- Capitol Talk: Antifa; 'Religious Freedom', And Limits On Local Control - MTPR - February 20th, 2021
- John Mayall: The blues have given me musical freedom - Olean Times Herald - February 20th, 2021
- Greta comes out in support of Disha, says freedom of speech and right to peaceful protest non-negotiable - The Tribune India - February 20th, 2021
- Mosaic Announces Long-Term Partnership with Freedom Forever - PRNewswire - February 20th, 2021
- Creative freedom restricted by cloaking it in religion - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- Statutes of Liberty: Freedom of Information Act Requests are Free for Immigrants and U.S. Citizens - ARLnow - February 20th, 2021
- Woman who fought for racial equity as a Freedom Rider reflects on the past, gives outlook on the future - WLWT Cincinnati - February 20th, 2021
- Rescue horses move to Freedom to teach, provide therapy for people in need of rescue - Boothbay Register - February 20th, 2021
- Sudan: Forces of Freedom of Change refuses army appointments as governors - Middle East Monitor - February 20th, 2021
- Freedom Foods sees another CFO depart troubled Australian dairy business - just-food.com - February 20th, 2021
- Opinion | Give Fred Gray the Medal of Freedom, because no one deserves it more - alreporter.com - February 20th, 2021
- Biden Has No Time to Lose on Freedom of Navigation Operations Against China - Foreign Policy - February 20th, 2021
- The scars of solitary: Albert Woodfox on freedom after 44 years in a concrete cell - The Guardian - February 20th, 2021
- Washington Spirit owners, Freddy Adu, and more: Freedom Kicks - Black And Red United - February 20th, 2021
- Readers Write: Impeachment trial, freedom of speech, the cold weather - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 20th, 2021
- What the Trump administration meant for freedom of information requests - Columbia Journalism Review - February 20th, 2021
- Freedom and security: On social media platforms operating in India - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- 'You have to stay strong': 102-year-old freedom fighter's message to Disha Ravi - Hindustan Times - February 20th, 2021
- Freedom | Definition of Freedom at Dictionary.com - December 3rd, 2020
- Freedom - Wikipedia - December 3rd, 2020
- After 400 Years, The Reason People Come To America Is Still ... - December 3rd, 2020
- Medicare Advantage Plans for Florida at Freedom Health ... - December 3rd, 2020
- Freedom of Religion or Belief club formed at BYU - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - September 18th, 2020
- Freedom 76 At Grandview Will Be Live On FloRacing - FloRacing - September 18th, 2020
- Aviation Analysis: Revival of Fifth Freedom Flights? - Sam Chui - September 18th, 2020
- Trump Attacks The 1619 Project: U.S. Wasnt Founded On Slavery And Oppression, It Was Freedom - Moguldom - September 18th, 2020
- PAUL TIYAMBE ZELEZA - Beyond Political Freedom to Inclusive Wealth Creation and Self-Reliance - The Elephant - September 18th, 2020
- Backyard pool will bring joy and freedom to Niagara Falls boy - StCatharinesStandard.ca - September 18th, 2020
- Parson James Talks New Single, Lockdown, and Artistic Freedom - vmagazine.com - September 18th, 2020
- Private Railways Will Have Freedom To Set Their Own Fares: Government - NDTV - September 18th, 2020