CLEVELAND Jon Moxley has gained a reputation in professional wrestling of being somebody that wants to handle his own business and not ask for help or support from other competitors to reach the top of the sport, and not much has changed now that he competes for All Elite Wrestling.
Moxley entered 2020 with a clear vision of doing what is best for his career, and when AEWs weekly show, Dynamite makes its Cleveland and Ohio debuts at Cleveland State Universitys Wolstein Center tonight, he will continue letting that be known in his own, unique, and often, physical way.
As much as I want to get in there with younger talent, help them make their name and build this brand -- I want to be one of the guys that helps us get to the next level -- theres a lot of self-interest right now, Moxley told WKYC.com Tuesday.
My career, at this point, for 2020 to be the year that it needs to be for me, it has to be about me. My focus has to be on me. I dont need any partners. I dont need anybody watching my back. I watch my own back. I want to be able to make decisions on the fly.
RELATED |Jon Moxley proud to bring AEW brand to home state of Ohio
Moxley made it clear during his AEW debut at the Double Or Nothing pay-per-view event back in May of 2019 that he was going to do things his way.
After the main event on the card, featuring a match between Chris Jericho and Kenny Omega, Moxley walked through the crowd and dropped Jericho, now the AEW world champion with his finishing move, The Paradigm Shift.
Moxley went on to battle Omega throughout the ring before gaining the upper hand.
Theyre in the main event, Moxley said. Theyre in the last match of the evening and competing for that top dog spot in the company, so if youre showing up on that first day, you want to come in on that prime spot in the main event. Whoever was standing there was going to get dropped on their head. It just happened to be those two.
The whole journey I went on to where Im sitting here with AEW now, Im going my own way and being my own person. I dont need to wear a white hat. I dont need to wear a black hat. I get to do what I want, when I want and to be able to have the ability to do that in AEW is definitely exciting. Everybodys got that spirit and that freedom here.
RELATED |Jon Moxley: AEW will bring energy, passion to wrestling fans in Cleveland debut tonight
Despite being on the wrong end of Moxleys debut, or maybe because of it, Jericho recently offered him a spot in his stable of talent, The Inner Circle. After initially accepting, Moxley smashed a bottle of champagne on Jericho in an act of defiance.
Instead, Moxley is focused on a path toward the AEW world title.
I aint no dummy, Moxley said. I know why he wanted tokeep your friends close and your enemies closer. Ive been in this game a long time. Ive known Chris Jericho for a long time. I knew that ploy, saw it coming from a mile away.
Nobody can tell me what I can and cant accomplish, what I can and cant do, and if I want Chris Jerichos AEW world title, Im going to get it. Thats what Im going to go for. I dont care if hes got four guys in his group, five guys in his group, 10 guys in his group, Im going to do what Ive got to do to get to the other side.
- Jennifer Kohan of Fellowship Freedom Plans selected as Top Director of the Year by the International Association of Top Professionals - TAPinto.net - March 4th, 2020
- Schools must earn the freedom to make decisions, says Premier - The Sydney Morning Herald - March 4th, 2020
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Supporting freedom; part of the package; end death penalty - NWAOnline - March 4th, 2020
- Darmanovi on Freedom of Religion Act: No need for international arbitrage in Montenegro - European Western Balkans - March 4th, 2020
- Freedom Solar: record profits and growth in Texas residential and commercial PV - pv magazine USA - March 4th, 2020
- How Some Union Bosses Menace American Workers' Freedom - The National Interest Online - March 4th, 2020
- Ask a North Korean: can money buy freedom in the DPRK? - NK News - March 4th, 2020
- Freedom in the World 2020: Armenia and Artsakh rated as 'partly free' - - March 4th, 2020
- Freedom of movement could be retained in Scotland post-Brexit - The Scotsman - March 4th, 2020
- The Reverse Freedom Rides And Their Long Aftermath : Code Switch - NPR - March 4th, 2020
- Freedom boys hoops clips No. 1 seed Allen, is 1 win away from ending 44-year drought - lehighvalleylive.com - March 4th, 2020
- A Tweet Shows How Scared Gun-Control Activists are of Women and Minorities Enjoying Their Freedom - America's 1st Freedom - March 4th, 2020
- Sophie and Hans Scholl died resisting the Nazis. Let's not take freedom for granted - TheArticle - March 4th, 2020
- Tacky's Revolt review: Britain, Jamaica, slavery and an early fight for freedom - The Guardian - March 4th, 2020
- These Are the 10 'Most Urgent' Threats to Press Freedom in March 2020 - TIME - March 4th, 2020
- Submariners from HMS Vengeance and Bury sea cadets exercise Freedom of Bury St Edmunds with parade in town centre | Latest Suffolk and Essex News -... - March 4th, 2020
- You can't have both religious freedom and religious dominance - Patheos - March 4th, 2020
- The Presidential Medal of Freedom: Its Just So Beautiful - RushLimbaugh.com - February 9th, 2020
- Both Freedom teams clinch NWC titles they hope to win outright next week - Morganton News Herald - February 9th, 2020
- Democracy and freedom of expression are under threat in Brazil - The Guardian - February 9th, 2020
- The Classic Novel That Saw Pleasure as a Path to Freedom - The New York Times - February 9th, 2020
- U.S. Launches The First-Ever International Religious Freedom Alliance - Forbes - February 9th, 2020
- You Will Find Your Freedom : Has Netflix Renewed Season 3 of OA? - Union Journalism - February 9th, 2020
- Bloomberg has thoughts on press freedom; the other candidates should give us theirs, too | TheHill - The Hill - February 9th, 2020
- Poetry, Walls and Freedom - The Wire - February 9th, 2020
- The latest assault on freedom of the press | TheHill - The Hill - February 9th, 2020
- Azaadiphobia: Who is Afraid of Freedom and Why - NewsClick - February 9th, 2020
- The Most Abused Freedom of Information Act Exemption Still Needs to Be Reined In - Project On Government Oversight - February 9th, 2020
- Freedom unifies the soul: Trump's State of the Union speechwriters have thrown in the towel - The Guardian - February 9th, 2020
- Trump says he will award Rush Limbaugh with Medal of Freedom - msnNOW - February 9th, 2020
- Case of Freedom Trail guides headed to the NLRB - The Boston Globe - February 9th, 2020
- Freedom Project: Play highlights civil rights perspective of black women - Meridian Star - February 9th, 2020
- Arts Wave partners with the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center to celebrate Black History Month. - WLWT Cincinnati - February 9th, 2020
- Taking the Freedom Out of Freelancing - Foundation for Economic Education - Foundation for Economic Education - February 9th, 2020
- The freedom Bobby Hurley gives to players is often criticized, but it might end up saving ASU's season - The Athletic - February 9th, 2020
- The basis of freedom - SC Times - February 9th, 2020
- The freedom in not knowing - The Boston Globe - January 30th, 2020
- 3 things you need to know about Birmingham's proposed Freedom Walk - Bham Now - January 30th, 2020
- Support school choice and empower families with educational freedom - Washington Examiner - January 30th, 2020
- Huber, Freedom want one more shot at wrestling in their own gym - lehighvalleylive.com - January 30th, 2020
- Freedom of Speech Doesn't Mean You Have to Be a Jerk Online - catcountry1073.com - January 30th, 2020
- No to Trump's apartheid plan. Yes to freedom and justice for the Palestinians - Haaretz - January 30th, 2020
- The True Cost Of Freedom Gas - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- The long road to freedom - a giraffe is on the lam in Thailand - News965 - January 30th, 2020
- How An Enslaved Woman Sued And Won Her Freedom In 18th-Century Massachusetts - WBUR - January 30th, 2020
- Collings Foundation and FAA agree to temporary grounding of Wings of Freedom vintage planes - FOX61 Hartford - January 30th, 2020
- Sports: A Battlefield for Freedom of Expression and Political Change - besacenter.org - January 30th, 2020
- Melissa Martin: What happens when freedom of the press is silenced? - Cleburne Times-Review - January 1st, 2020
- Bagram's Afghan music night is the American base's other 'sound of freedom' - Stars and Stripes - January 1st, 2020
- Theros: Beyond Death Previews - Glimpse of Freedom and Sweet Oblivion MTG Arena Zone - MTG Arena Zone - January 1st, 2020
- Invest in Freedom: Support the Washington Monthly - Washington Monthly - January 1st, 2020
- Alabama's 200 years in 200 images: Freedom fighting from Iwo Jima to Selma - AL.com - January 1st, 2020
- Letter: Choice is simple freedom or slavery? - Northwest Herald - January 1st, 2020
- STORIES OF THE DECADE: Freedom boys hoops rallies to win 2013-14 state title at buzzer - Morganton News Herald - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom of the Seas Live Blog - Day 1 - Embarkation - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 1st, 2020
- Ring in the New Year with Freedom Soup: Recipe - FOX 29 News Philadelphia - January 1st, 2020
- OSCE Representative on Freedom of Media welcomes release of Aseev and Halaziuk - Ukrinform. Ukraine and world news - January 1st, 2020
- STORIES OF THE DECADE: Freedom girls go perfect in 2015-16 for programs 5th title - Morganton News Herald - January 1st, 2020
- Press freedom situation yet to be satisfactory: FNJ - Khabarhub - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom of the Seas 2019 Live Blog - Preview - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom from 3Cs - The Indian Express - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom, Real Dividend of Democracy - THISDAY Newspapers - January 1st, 2020
- Economic freedom, not government programs, the key to poverty reduction - Orange County Register - Daily Gaming Worlld - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom Synonyms, Freedom Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - December 27th, 2019
- Byrne: Freedom from Religion Foundation needs to "stop forcing their ungodly, un-American views down our throats" - alreporter.com - December 27th, 2019
- Western Balkans Have Yet to Embrace Freedom of Information - Balkan Insight - December 27th, 2019
- Video: King Willem-Alexander addresses the Dutch public on Christmas Day, stressing the importance of freedom - Royal Central - December 27th, 2019
- Freedom to offend is a right and essential to democracy, says outgoing press watchdog chairman - The Sun - December 27th, 2019
- Of Concerns and Waivers: Religious Freedom and US Interests in Central Asia - The Diplomat - December 27th, 2019
- Climate tariffs on fracked molecules of freedom: German think tank wants to punish US for sanctions against Nord Stream 2 - RT - December 27th, 2019
- Weekly Wrap: Winter Solstice celebrations and responses | Freedom From Religion Foundation - Patheos - December 27th, 2019
- 'Freedom for All': Enes Kanter finally allowed to travel outside the U.S. for game - The Globe and Mail - December 27th, 2019
- The Colorado Springs Gazette: Happy Hanukkah, a celebration of freedom - coloradopolitics.com - December 27th, 2019
- True freedom is learning to love yourself | Opinion | Pittsburgh - PGH City Paper - December 27th, 2019
- Freedom Of Assembly - The Nation - December 27th, 2019
- A Trump sweatshirt and some thoughts on freedom - LancasterOnline - December 27th, 2019
- To Pay For The Freedom Dividend, Andrew Yang Says Our Mental State Matters To The Math - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Freedom Township man arrested after excessive speeds on motorcyle - Record-Courier - December 26th, 2019
- It's Official: 'Freedom Gas' Is the Worst Phrase of the Year - Gizmodo - December 26th, 2019
- In Punjab, the Legacy of the Ghadar Movement Continues to Inspire the Fight for Justice - The Wire - December 26th, 2019