This year, Veterans Day comes only two days after the 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. Thats a happy coincidence.
The world-changing events of that day highlighted the value of freedom and liberty, but it also brought to focus the great sacrifices of selfless veterans who have carried out battles in the name of freedom throughout the history of the United States.
Few things are as stirring as watching World War II veterans being brought to Washington as part of the Honor Flight program. Wherever they go, people part the way and begin to applaud. Parents tell their children they are watching history. Eyes fill with tears of appreciation.
Without the efforts of these veterans, the Berlin Wall never would have been built because all of Germany, and much of the rest of the world, would have been in subjugation, held in check by an invisible wall of tyranny.
The Department of Veterans Affairs estimates only 389,292 WWII veterans were still alive as of September, and they are dying at a rate of about 348 per day. The department also estimates the last veteran of that war will pass away in 2044.
For the sake of context, 16,112,566 members of the armed forces served during that war. For many, it was the most important event of their lives. Given their heroism and the wars outcome, the same can be said for the free world.
Perhaps the most remarkable thing about members of that generation is their reluctance to talk about their experiences in the war. The New York Times recently published a story about this phenomenon, and about how many children of these heroes, too scared to ask for details while their fathers were alive, are now contacting the National World War II Museum in New Orleans or the National Archives to fill in the blanks.
Of the reluctance to talk, the Times said, Many of the Americans who fought to crush the Axis in World War II came home feeling the same way so many, in fact, that those lauded as the Greatest Generation might just as easily be called the Quietest.
Most likely, many of them experienced things too gruesome to relate. Reassimilating into the mundane routines of everyday life in a civilized, peace-time United States must have been an enormous challenge, at a time when few men sought mental health treatment or therapy.
But as the lives of these heroes come to an end, its important to compile and tell their stories. Freedom is indeed not free, and the price of our freedom should be known.
Veterans Day was born at the end of a previous conflict, WWI, which ended when Germany signed an armistice on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918. That was supposed to be the war to end all wars, but the string of despots, dictators and terrorists seems to be never ending.
The last veteran of that first world war, a man who served in the British Navy, died in 2012 at the age of 110. The last American soldier in that war died a year earlier, also at the age of 110.
Thank goodness Veterans Day did not die with them. And thank goodness the string of men and women willing to sacrifice all for the freedom of others is never-ending, as well.
Read more from the original source:
- Melissa Martin: What happens when freedom of the press is silenced? - Cleburne Times-Review - January 1st, 2020
- Bagram's Afghan music night is the American base's other 'sound of freedom' - Stars and Stripes - January 1st, 2020
- Theros: Beyond Death Previews - Glimpse of Freedom and Sweet Oblivion MTG Arena Zone - MTG Arena Zone - January 1st, 2020
- Invest in Freedom: Support the Washington Monthly - Washington Monthly - January 1st, 2020
- Alabama's 200 years in 200 images: Freedom fighting from Iwo Jima to Selma - AL.com - January 1st, 2020
- Letter: Choice is simple freedom or slavery? - Northwest Herald - January 1st, 2020
- STORIES OF THE DECADE: Freedom boys hoops rallies to win 2013-14 state title at buzzer - Morganton News Herald - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom of the Seas Live Blog - Day 1 - Embarkation - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 1st, 2020
- Ring in the New Year with Freedom Soup: Recipe - FOX 29 News Philadelphia - January 1st, 2020
- OSCE Representative on Freedom of Media welcomes release of Aseev and Halaziuk - Ukrinform. Ukraine and world news - January 1st, 2020
- STORIES OF THE DECADE: Freedom girls go perfect in 2015-16 for programs 5th title - Morganton News Herald - January 1st, 2020
- Press freedom situation yet to be satisfactory: FNJ - Khabarhub - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom of the Seas 2019 Live Blog - Preview - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom from 3Cs - The Indian Express - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom, Real Dividend of Democracy - THISDAY Newspapers - January 1st, 2020
- Economic freedom, not government programs, the key to poverty reduction - Orange County Register - Daily Gaming Worlld - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom Synonyms, Freedom Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - December 27th, 2019
- Byrne: Freedom from Religion Foundation needs to "stop forcing their ungodly, un-American views down our throats" - alreporter.com - December 27th, 2019
- Western Balkans Have Yet to Embrace Freedom of Information - Balkan Insight - December 27th, 2019
- Video: King Willem-Alexander addresses the Dutch public on Christmas Day, stressing the importance of freedom - Royal Central - December 27th, 2019
- Freedom to offend is a right and essential to democracy, says outgoing press watchdog chairman - The Sun - December 27th, 2019
- Of Concerns and Waivers: Religious Freedom and US Interests in Central Asia - The Diplomat - December 27th, 2019
- Climate tariffs on fracked molecules of freedom: German think tank wants to punish US for sanctions against Nord Stream 2 - RT - December 27th, 2019
- Weekly Wrap: Winter Solstice celebrations and responses | Freedom From Religion Foundation - Patheos - December 27th, 2019
- 'Freedom for All': Enes Kanter finally allowed to travel outside the U.S. for game - The Globe and Mail - December 27th, 2019
- The Colorado Springs Gazette: Happy Hanukkah, a celebration of freedom - coloradopolitics.com - December 27th, 2019
- True freedom is learning to love yourself | Opinion | Pittsburgh - PGH City Paper - December 27th, 2019
- Freedom Of Assembly - The Nation - December 27th, 2019
- A Trump sweatshirt and some thoughts on freedom - LancasterOnline - December 27th, 2019
- To Pay For The Freedom Dividend, Andrew Yang Says Our Mental State Matters To The Math - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Freedom Township man arrested after excessive speeds on motorcyle - Record-Courier - December 26th, 2019
- It's Official: 'Freedom Gas' Is the Worst Phrase of the Year - Gizmodo - December 26th, 2019
- In Punjab, the Legacy of the Ghadar Movement Continues to Inspire the Fight for Justice - The Wire - December 26th, 2019
- The Times view on freedom of speech: Taking Offence - The Times - December 26th, 2019
- Students at elite Shanghai university protest the removal of "freedom of thought" from the school charter - Boing Boing - December 21st, 2019
- Why Freedom Gas Was Voted The Worst Phrase Of The Year - OilPrice.com - December 21st, 2019
- Review: Wing Freedom e-bike wins style points and it works great, too! - Electrek - December 21st, 2019
- Explained: Reading Bangladesh provisions for citizenship and freedom of religion - The Indian Express - December 21st, 2019
- Tennessee football: Vols now have freedom to target top 2020 prospects - All for Tennessee - December 21st, 2019
- Andrew Yang: 'If we had a freedom dividend, I would not be the only candidate of color on the stage' - USA TODAY - December 21st, 2019
- My shortwave radio still speaks of freedom | Comment - The Times - December 21st, 2019
- Chinese University Drops 'Freedom of Thought' From Charter - Inside Higher Ed - December 19th, 2019
- Freedom, Peace, and Justice: The Surprising Success of Sudan's Glorious Revolution - Just Security - December 19th, 2019
- The Gift of Fire: The Purpose of Capital as Freedom - Nonprofit Quarterly - December 19th, 2019
- Fuel the Fight for Reason, Individualism and Freedom - New Ideal - December 19th, 2019
- Top Chinese Universities Amend Charters to Remove Reference to Freedom - Radio Free Asia - December 19th, 2019
- Leading Chinese university drops 'freedom of thought' from charter - Bangkok Post - December 19th, 2019
- Jeff Bezos Freedom's Wings Award Highlights the Annual Living Legends of Aviation Awards - PRNewswire - December 19th, 2019
- POV: Trump's Executive Order Aimed at Protecting Jews Will Have a Chilling Effect on Freedom of Speech at Colleges - BU Today - December 19th, 2019
- Maple Leafs Prospect Report: Growlers giving Hollowell more freedom, Agostino dominant in AHL and more - The Athletic - December 19th, 2019
- Giving back to those who gave us freedom. - Verizon Communications - December 19th, 2019
- Opinion: The danger facing journalists in Hong Kong is a threat to press freedom everywhere - Los Angeles Times - December 19th, 2019
- Jodie Turner-Smith Reflects On Finally Loving Herself: 'I Hated Myself And Hated The Dark Skin' - Essence - December 19th, 2019
- Harvey Weinstein Is Trying To Buy His Freedom & Innocence. I See Right Through It. - Refinery29 - December 19th, 2019
- Amnesty International Canada Questions Freedom of Speech and Assembly - Reason - December 12th, 2019
- CoE urges Azerbaijan to respect freedom of expression, support IDPs - Emerging Europe - December 12th, 2019
- Lebron and student athletes alike deserve freedom to speak - The Tide - December 12th, 2019
- Fox host lambasts Trump over 'most sustained assault on press freedom in US history' - The Guardian - December 12th, 2019
- Bethlehem Catholic girls basketball shakes off early nerves in win over Freedom - lehighvalleylive.com - December 12th, 2019
- How This 17-Year-Old Rapper Found Freedom In Self-Expression - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 12th, 2019
- European rights body urges Azerbaijan to respect freedom of expression - Reuters - December 12th, 2019
- Minnesota Brothers Have Taught Firearms Safety Together for More Than 50 Years - America's 1st Freedom - December 12th, 2019
- Freedom wrestling rolls to championship at Battle of Bethlehem - lehighvalleylive.com - December 12th, 2019
- Hong Kong's Struggle Against Tyranny, and Why It Matters - City Journal - December 12th, 2019
- OSCE warns Albania not to block freedom of expression online - The San Diego Union-Tribune - December 12th, 2019
- Democracy in Iraq Depends on Press Freedom - Foreign Policy - December 12th, 2019
- National Security Podcast: Freedom of the press - Policy Forum - December 12th, 2019
- Interview: the Scottish Information Commissioner on freedom of information - Holyrood - December 12th, 2019
- How the U.S. was able to win Princeton University students freedom from Iran - NJ.com - December 12th, 2019
- Charlottes bad names, Matthew McConaughey, and Metro standing - Black And Red United - December 12th, 2019
- View: Women riding vehicles are busy wresting their freedom to be a person, forgetting their worst fears - Economic Times - December 12th, 2019
- Sea Ray and Freedom Boat Club win National Safety Awards - Yahoo Finance - December 2nd, 2019
- Freedom From Religion Group Speaking Out Against Kanye West Program in Jail - All On Georgia - December 2nd, 2019
- Facts are under siege. Now, more than ever, we need to invest in journalism - The Guardian - December 2nd, 2019
- Australias proposed defamation law overhaul will expand media freedom but at what cost? - The Conversation - Australia - December 2nd, 2019
- Opinion/Editorial: Law preserving freedom of action should stay - The Daily Progress - December 2nd, 2019
- YouTube CEO on censoring content: Balance responsibility with freedom of speech - Yahoo Celebrity - December 2nd, 2019
- Sakharov Walk of Freedom: inauguration ceremony | News - EU News - December 2nd, 2019
- Book on US religious freedom starts with the Founders but forgets seeds of secularism - National Catholic Reporter - December 2nd, 2019
- Understanding the SCAs freedom of expression judgment - Daily Maverick - December 2nd, 2019