The first in-person gathering of the worlds 20 biggest economies, theGroup of 20, since the onset of COVID-19 pandemic will take place in Rome, Italy, from Oct. 30 to 31. To say the least, the summit should not be business as usual. Regrettably, theres reason to believe that the meeting will fail to address the issues that are most relevant to the G-20.
Italys climate-focused G-20 has billed people, planet, and prosperity as the top priorities for the summit, largely echoing the themes of the G-20 talks in the past.
When G-20 heads first congregated about a decade ago in November 2008, the trigger of the gathering was the global financial crisis, with the composition of the group reflecting the shift in the worlds economic center of gravity towards Asia and the emerging economies around the world. Unfortunately, G-20 summit meetings since then have been long on wordsmountains of the same wordsbut short on real, concrete accomplishments.
President Joe Biden will attend this years G-20 gathering to promote his big government build back better agendaand agenda chock full of issues that are not pragmatically relevant to restoring optimal conditions for global economic recovery and growth.
The focus of the G-20 meeting, in which Bidens national security adviser Jake Sullivansaidthe U.S. and Europe would be energized, united, and driving the agenda, is expected to be about whether and how to undertake an economic rearrangement with climate change and social equity at the core.
Equallynotableis that Chinese president Xi Jinping, who hasnt leftChinasince early 2020, will participate just virtually, along with his comrade Russian President Vladimir Putin. Japans new Prime Minister Fumio Kishida and Mexican President Andrs Manuel Lpez Obradorwill be also absent. And the United States, Australia and France will be at the same table for the first time since Washingtons recentannouncementof the U.S.-Australia-U.K. trilateral security partnership that made Frances Emmanuel Macron quite unhappy.
Despite the less than optimal setting of the upcoming G-20 meeting, the U.S. needs to be clear in its principles at the summit, particularly based on the foundations ofeconomic freedomanddemocratic values.
Unambiguously, the past months since early 2020 have been extraordinary for the global economy, with slowing growth and turmoil gravely inflicted by the ongoing pandemic.
The principles of economic freedom have always been questioned by dictators, autocrats, and others who might benefit from centralized planning and control.Now, however, populist attacks on the free marketfueled by politics in the United States and other countries, as well as by actual coronavirus-related setbacks to the economyhave gained notable momentum.
More than ever, however, it should be reminded that fundamentally a nations capacity to grow and prosper hinges on the quality of its institutions and economic system. As documented by The Heritage Foundations annualIndex of Economic Freedomthat evaluates the extent and effectiveness of policies in four key areas of rule of law, size of government, regulatory efficiency, and open markets, countries with higher degrees of economic freedom tend to measurably prosper in far morelasting and resilientways.
Thats because they capitalize more fully on the ability of the free market system to not only generate, but also to reinforce, dynamic growth through efficient resource allocation, value creation, and innovation.
Regrettably, some of the policy measures undertaken or planned by governments around the world in response to the global health crisis run the risk of undermining economic freedom and, thus, long-term economic growth and prosperity.
Policymakers in Washington and around the globe cannot simply spend their way back to prosperity after the toll public health responses have taken on local economies. For a meaningful economic recovery, its essential that economic freedom is not curtailed by extended government emergency powers.
The path by which the global economy can emerge from this pandemic stronger than we were before runs through a recommitment to the proven ideas of the free market system. It would be a tragic mistake to assume that in a time of crisis we must abandonour commitment to economic freedomin the hope of politically resetting the situation.
That freedom has unambiguously made our societies vibrant as well as flourishing.
This piece originally appeared in The Daily Signal
- Freedom: The History of an Idea - Foreign Policy Research Institute - June 19th, 2022
- Town Of Freedom Official Site - June 19th, 2022
- Pence skips Faith & Freedom conference. Is attacked by Trump anyways. - POLITICO - June 19th, 2022
- Juneteenth 2022: Freedom Songs on Apple Music - June 19th, 2022
- There's no freedom without reparations - The Connecticut Mirror - June 19th, 2022
- Freedom to Read Celebration, Supporting the Merritt Fund, and Featuring Banned Author David Levithan - ala.org - June 19th, 2022
- Is Technology in Photography Lowering the Bar or Increasing Freedom? - Fstoppers - June 19th, 2022
- Freedom From Fear: Anxiety and Depression Resource Organization - May 12th, 2022
- FREEDOM: Is it just another 'F' word now? - Millard County Chronicle Progress - May 12th, 2022
- Albuquerque Summerfest and Freedom 4th Headliners Announced - City of Albuquerque - May 12th, 2022
- The Freedom Foundation exists to tear down, not build up - Idaho EdNews - May 12th, 2022
- Russian Dissent Then and Now: 'For Your Freedom and Ours' - The Moscow Times - May 12th, 2022
- Freedom Historical Society to present 'Mount Washington Carriage Road and The Glen House' program - Conway Daily Sun - May 12th, 2022
- American Freedom Is Greater Than Slavery and Ends in Death - Tablet Magazine - May 12th, 2022
- The Press Freedom Index is Prepared With Bias and a Flawed Methodology - News18 - May 12th, 2022
- Guest column: GOP is out to limit voting and reproductive freedom - The Bulletin - May 12th, 2022
- Daly and Wallace lawsuit flagged for press freedom concerns - The Irish Times - May 12th, 2022
- Media polarisation risks press freedom and peace in conflict-hit Mali and Ethiopia - The Guardian - May 12th, 2022
- Afghanistan dispatch: 'The Taliban are the enemies of women's freedom' - JURIST - May 12th, 2022
- The Navy just launched a brand new ship it doesnt even want - Task & Purpose - May 12th, 2022
- Yoon stresses freedom, growth as he begins 5-year term - The Korea Herald - May 12th, 2022
- Opinion: More freedom or more death: A pandemic quandary we have yet to solve - The Globe and Mail - May 12th, 2022
- The freedom to divide: zoning and segregation in Connecticut - The Connecticut Mirror - April 28th, 2022
- Watch George Michael Freedom Uncut Trailer, Where the Late Singer Talks About the Pressures of Fame - Variety - April 28th, 2022
- In Our View: Religious freedom at core of Constitution - The Columbian - April 28th, 2022
- Black Girl Freedom Fund Invests Over $4 Million In 68 Organizations, Part Of #1Billion4BlackGirls Campaign - Forbes - April 28th, 2022
- Championing Consumer Freedom in Health Care | Opinion - Newsweek - April 28th, 2022
- Ed Buck and False 'Freedom' - The American Conservative - April 28th, 2022
- Thursday at 10: Preserving the past of the 'Freedom Mine' - WKOW - April 28th, 2022
- 10-rule manifesto by ai weiwei for empowerment and freedom of mind - Designboom - April 28th, 2022
- Texas Rangers Baseball Foundation accepting nominations for "Faces of Freedom" Military Program - MLB.com - April 28th, 2022
- Freedom of Expression - Caltech - April 28th, 2022
- "No Country Should Preach To Another": UK PM On 'Freedom In India' Debate - NDTV - April 28th, 2022
- Red zone 'freedom village' asked to leave twice by council - Stuff - April 28th, 2022
- Opinion | No, Vaccine Mandates Arent an Attack on Freedom - The New York Times - November 2nd, 2021
- Academic Freedom Alliance Letter on the University of Florida Situation - Reason - November 2nd, 2021
- Vaccination, Freedom and Responsibility - Coronavirus Coverage - State of the Planet - November 2nd, 2021
- Freedom football rules 2nd half to beat Liberty, claim city title - lehighvalleylive.com - November 2nd, 2021
- 'Economic freedom' rankings are contrived, meaningless nonsense - The Real News Network - November 2nd, 2021
- Central Valley Right to Life group claims vaccine protection law prohibits freedom of speech - Visalia Times-Delta and Tulare Advance-Register - November 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Community Projects Communicate The Message Of Freedom - Bitcoin Magazine - November 2nd, 2021
- Investigative Journalist Roohollah Zam Tops November Ranking Of The One Free Press Coalitions 10 Most Urgent Press Freedom Cases - Forbes - November 2nd, 2021
- Stalin inaugurates exhibition on freedom struggle - The Hindu - November 2nd, 2021
- When Jane Johnson jeopardized her freedom for the people who aided her to escape from slavery - Face2Face Africa - November 2nd, 2021
- Letter: Responsibility of Freedom | Opinion | thepilot.com - Southern Pines Pilot - November 2nd, 2021
- Positive Vibes Only: Mayorkun Performs Liberating Track "Freedom" From His New Album 'Back In Office' - grammy.com - November 2nd, 2021
- Do vaccine mandates violate or support our freedom? Avoid anyone who thinks this question is easy - The Dallas Morning News - November 2nd, 2021
- Passing reveals pursuit of happiness, freedom and safety - District - November 2nd, 2021
- Freedom to Roam: The Rhythms Of Migration - Folk Radio UK - November 2nd, 2021
- Diversity Dialogues Raise Issues of Women's Rights, Sexual Identity and Individual Freedom - University of Arkansas Newswire - February 20th, 2021
- Capitol Talk: Antifa; 'Religious Freedom', And Limits On Local Control - MTPR - February 20th, 2021
- John Mayall: The blues have given me musical freedom - Olean Times Herald - February 20th, 2021
- Greta comes out in support of Disha, says freedom of speech and right to peaceful protest non-negotiable - The Tribune India - February 20th, 2021
- Mosaic Announces Long-Term Partnership with Freedom Forever - PRNewswire - February 20th, 2021
- Creative freedom restricted by cloaking it in religion - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- Statutes of Liberty: Freedom of Information Act Requests are Free for Immigrants and U.S. Citizens - ARLnow - February 20th, 2021
- Woman who fought for racial equity as a Freedom Rider reflects on the past, gives outlook on the future - WLWT Cincinnati - February 20th, 2021
- Rescue horses move to Freedom to teach, provide therapy for people in need of rescue - Boothbay Register - February 20th, 2021
- Sudan: Forces of Freedom of Change refuses army appointments as governors - Middle East Monitor - February 20th, 2021
- Freedom Foods sees another CFO depart troubled Australian dairy business - just-food.com - February 20th, 2021
- Opinion | Give Fred Gray the Medal of Freedom, because no one deserves it more - alreporter.com - February 20th, 2021
- Biden Has No Time to Lose on Freedom of Navigation Operations Against China - Foreign Policy - February 20th, 2021
- The scars of solitary: Albert Woodfox on freedom after 44 years in a concrete cell - The Guardian - February 20th, 2021
- Washington Spirit owners, Freddy Adu, and more: Freedom Kicks - Black And Red United - February 20th, 2021
- Readers Write: Impeachment trial, freedom of speech, the cold weather - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 20th, 2021
- What the Trump administration meant for freedom of information requests - Columbia Journalism Review - February 20th, 2021
- Freedom and security: On social media platforms operating in India - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- 'You have to stay strong': 102-year-old freedom fighter's message to Disha Ravi - Hindustan Times - February 20th, 2021
- Freedom | Definition of Freedom at Dictionary.com - December 3rd, 2020
- Freedom - Wikipedia - December 3rd, 2020
- After 400 Years, The Reason People Come To America Is Still ... - December 3rd, 2020
- Medicare Advantage Plans for Florida at Freedom Health ... - December 3rd, 2020
- Freedom of Religion or Belief club formed at BYU - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - September 18th, 2020
- Freedom 76 At Grandview Will Be Live On FloRacing - FloRacing - September 18th, 2020
- Aviation Analysis: Revival of Fifth Freedom Flights? - Sam Chui - September 18th, 2020
- Trump Attacks The 1619 Project: U.S. Wasnt Founded On Slavery And Oppression, It Was Freedom - Moguldom - September 18th, 2020
- PAUL TIYAMBE ZELEZA - Beyond Political Freedom to Inclusive Wealth Creation and Self-Reliance - The Elephant - September 18th, 2020
- Backyard pool will bring joy and freedom to Niagara Falls boy - StCatharinesStandard.ca - September 18th, 2020
- Parson James Talks New Single, Lockdown, and Artistic Freedom - vmagazine.com - September 18th, 2020
- Private Railways Will Have Freedom To Set Their Own Fares: Government - NDTV - September 18th, 2020