A Holyrood inquiry into freedom of information (FOI) laws has found they have failed to keep pace with public services.
The Public Audit and Post-legislative Scrutiny Committee published a report on Tuesday following an investigation into the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act (FOISA).
In the report which was agreed before the length of time for information to be released was increased from 20 to 60 working days in the Coronavirus (Scotland) Act members of the committee say the divide between the public and private sector has become blurred.
As a result, private firms who are in receipt of public funds or a providing public services are not covered by the Act, which allows members of the public, journalists and politicians to apply for information.
The committee recommended the Scottish Government looks at introducing a gateway clause to automatically include companies and groups receiving public money or providing a service within the remit of the Act, allowing information on the spending of the funds and the provision of services to be accessed by the public.
The report also said the committee is interested in a factors-based approach, which would include the expansion of the law subject to testing.
This could be based on the extent to which an organisation is delivering (or supporting the delivery of) a public function, the degree of public interest in relation to the function/service being delivered and the cost to the public purse in delivering the function or service.
During an evidence session before the inquiry in December, parliamentary business minister Graeme Dey said the functions of private companies relating to public spending should be covered in principle but cautioned MSPs on expanding too far.
He told the committee: Clearly, the activities that are publicly funded absolutely should but we have to be careful to ensure that FOISA captures only the public service element of their work and not anything else that leads perhaps to their competitors gaining a commercial advantage in an area of non-public business.
The report also said the Act should be amended to ensure public bodies and private contractors are unable to rely on confidentiality agreements to keep information about spending or services out of the public domain.
The committee also pushed for the definition of information within the Act to be amended to include private WhatsApp conversations, email accounts and texts to ensure there was no way information could be withheld.
Committee convener Anas Sarwar said: Legislation must be robust, clear and enforceable.
We heard in our evidence sessions suggestions of a shift in recent years in the level of information being routinely recorded in connection with official public business.
We are absolutely clear that there should be no deliberate attempt to evade FOISA.
Consideration should also be given to amending the legislation to make explicit that tools such as WhatsApp, texts and ministerial private email accounts are covered by FOISA.
Read the original post:
- For 1st time, Freedom Conference to be held outside Steamboat; organizer blames local COVID-19 restrictions - Steamboat Pilot and Today - July 13th, 2020
- Current crises give cause to consider the meaning of 'freedom' in 2020 - Iowa City Press-Citizen - July 13th, 2020
- Freedom is the cure? - Post Register - July 13th, 2020
- Kahle: Freedom is our brand - Opinion - The Register-Guard - July 13th, 2020
- Kristiine Silinja: "I love exploration, adventures, and freedom. All that comes with a six-string bass" - Guitar World - July 13th, 2020
- Don't let them take our freedom | Letters To The Editor - Uniontown Herald Standard - July 13th, 2020
- The Novels of Tension Between Freedom and Disaster - The New York Review of Books - July 13th, 2020
- 'Optimism of the Will': Palestinian Freedom is Possible Now - Middle East Monitor - July 13th, 2020
- What American freedom means to a refugee from Iraq at a time of protests and pandemic - Chicago Sun-Times - July 13th, 2020
- Suicide of Egyptian activist Sarah Hegazi exposes the 'freedom and violence' of LGBTQ Muslims in exile - The Conversation US - July 13th, 2020
- A Black Alabama hero fights for America and freedom in new novel - AL.com - July 13th, 2020
- The joys of Czech tramping: Hiking with friendship, freedom and fun - The Guardian - July 13th, 2020
- With app bans, is Internet freedom being sacrificed for national security? | The Hindu Parley podcast - The Hindu - July 13th, 2020
- Citizens hold 'freedom drive' in place of parade - Silver City Daily Press and Independent - July 13th, 2020
- Rangila, the ''dancing bear'' rescued from Nepal, celebrates two years of freedom - Outlook India - July 13th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Freedom comes with responsibilities, so wear a mask - TribLIVE - July 13th, 2020
- Statement in support of OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media - PEN America - July 12th, 2020
- Celebrate the sounds of freedom | News, Sports, Jobs - Alpena News - July 12th, 2020
- Azerbaijan and Tajikistan block renewal of OSCE media freedom representative - The Shift News - July 12th, 2020
- Opinion: Freedom comes with the burden of responsibility - easternnewmexiconews.com - July 12th, 2020
- Oprah Winfrey and BFF Gayle King Reunite for "Freedom Dinner" After Negative Coronavirus Tests - E! NEWS - July 12th, 2020
- 'Give Me Freedom or Give Me Death': 13 Years Without Trial at Guantanamo, My Hunger Strike Is All I Have Left - Common Dreams - July 12th, 2020
- Congress' decision seen as a slap to freedom of press - The Star Online - July 12th, 2020
- Post-lockdown camping: 'It's a taste of freedom' - The Guardian - July 12th, 2020
- Freedom in Ukraine: Moving in the right direction? - The Ukrainian Weekly - July 12th, 2020
- Healing, Justice, and Freedom, as Defined by #BlackLivesMatter - Greatist - July 12th, 2020
- Survival of Americas experiment depends on how we use freedom - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - July 12th, 2020
- Massive protests in Argentina demand justice and freedom; president Fernandez pledges to end the serial haters - MercoPress - July 12th, 2020
- MLS is officially back and more: Freedom Kicks for 9 July 2020 - Black And Red United - July 12th, 2020
- And When He Came to Himself (Luke 15:17) - July 11th, 2020
- MINISTER'S MOMENT / By REV. WILL WILSON | A Christian perspective on freedom - Kilgore News Herald - July 11th, 2020
- The impact of the health crisis on freedom of expression and media freedom - Report by the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Marija Pejinovi... - July 11th, 2020
- Suicide of Egyptian activist Sarah Hegazi exposes the 'freedom and violence' of LGBTQ Muslims in exile - The Ridgefield Press - July 11th, 2020
- Freedom Day Bailouts Get Several Men Behind Bars Out Before Father's Day | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - June 22nd, 2020
- This Week in Technology + Press Freedom: June 21, 2020 - Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press - June 22nd, 2020
- The Juneteenth flag is full of symbols. Here's what they mean - CNN - June 22nd, 2020
- We Have to Talk About Liberating Minds: Angela Davis' Quotes on Freedom - AnOther Magazine - June 22nd, 2020
- Journalism Instructor Leading Online Freedom of Information Event - Ole Miss News - June 22nd, 2020
- Dozens gather for freedom march and rally in downtown Columbus - 10TV - June 22nd, 2020
- Justice Thomas concludes that the "freedom of speech" is a Privilege or Immunity under the 14th Amendment - Reason - June 22nd, 2020
- Freedom launches Pilot to simplify teleoperation on third-party robots - TechCrunch - June 22nd, 2020
- Gov. Stitt says Trump rally attendees 'have freedom to stay home' if concerned about contracting COVID-19 - Tulsa World - June 22nd, 2020
- Opinion: The freedom to take a knee - Houston Chronicle - June 22nd, 2020
- Politicized COVID-19 Response Imperils Both Freedom and Safety, States Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons - GlobeNewswire - June 22nd, 2020
- Julian Assange's fianc calls on the Australian government to secure his freedom - World Socialist Web Site - June 22nd, 2020
- 5th Annual Tybee Island Wade-In commemorates fight for freedom - WSAV-TV - June 22nd, 2020
- Pence to visit Texas for 'Freedom' event at megachurch - Monitor - June 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19: Freedom Means That We Can Do Stupid Things, Not That We Have To - Anchorage Press - June 22nd, 2020
- No restrictions on using firearms: India gives soldiers freedom along LAC in extraordinary times - Hindustan Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Aim to Achieve Financial Freedom in the Stock Market With This $30 Bundle - CT Post - June 22nd, 2020
- Freedom is never defined as mob rule | Opinion - nj.com - May 19th, 2020
- American freedom was tug-of-war from the start - York Dispatch - May 19th, 2020
- Finding the balance between safety and freedom in the shadow of COVID-19 - VentureBeat - May 19th, 2020
- In time of quarantine, we must resist Grand Inquisitors view of freedom - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom Does Not Mean Being on the Loose - Psychiatric Times - May 19th, 2020
- The van gives me such freedom: Custom conversion gives Eugene woman wheels on which to roam - The Register-Guard - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom is Never Free - The Hudson Reporter - May 19th, 2020
- Germany's flag burning ban is a threat to freedom of expression - Spectator.co.uk - May 19th, 2020
- What will we do with the new freedom to shop and dine? - cleveland.com - May 19th, 2020
- What does freedom mean in this moment? - The Irish Times - May 19th, 2020
- Event captures memories of Freedom Riders' heroic journey between Anniston and Birmingham - Bham Now - May 19th, 2020
- Are Contact Tracing Apps the Key to Lockdown Freedom? - Redbrick - May 19th, 2020
- Hundreds expected to gather for local Faith & Freedom Rally - KDRV - May 19th, 2020
- Captain Tom Moore receives Freedom award during City of London's first 'virtual' ceremony - FE News - May 11th, 2020
- Boris Johnson's roadmap to ease lockdown will start with more freedom to exercise and back-to-work moves from Wednesday - Telegraph.co.uk - May 11th, 2020
- God alone is the source of liberty and freedom - Akron Beacon Journal - May 11th, 2020
- 'Deadly Dictatorship': How Rodrigo Duterte Has Attacked Freedom of the Media in Latest Closure of Main Broadcaster - The National Interest - May 11th, 2020
- Conjure Women is a tale of slavery and its aftermath - The Economist - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Haven Emergency Shelter and Transitional Living Home - - KUSI - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Festival events postponed to 2021, firework show will be held - Deseret News - May 11th, 2020
- Granite State confined at home find freedom and calm in the garden - The Union Leader - May 11th, 2020
- MSNBC contributor: Americans 'freedom-obsessed' to point 'we're blind to other types of threats' | TheHill - The Hill - May 11th, 2020
- Faith and freedom of choice are key ingredients for parenting - The New Indian Express - May 11th, 2020
- Just after Elon Musk denounced coronavirus lockdowns as infringements of freedom, research shows Britons are too scared to leave their homes anyway -... - May 11th, 2020
- Another Freedom Square resident has died of COVID-19 in Pinellas - Tampa Bay Times - May 11th, 2020
- Celebrating freedom in the same garden 75 years on - Jersey Evening Post - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Is An Issue That Stirs Voters - America's 1st Freedom - May 11th, 2020
- How You Can Advance the Cause of Reason and Freedom - New Ideal - May 11th, 2020
- As Spaniards got their first real taste of freedom this weekend, hundreds of them got arrested and thousands were fined - MarketWatch - May 11th, 2020
- Lockdown phase one freedoms in Spains holiday island Mallorca - Euro Weekly News - May 11th, 2020