Enes Kanter arrived at Scotiabank Arena wearing a black T-shirt that read 'Freedom for All.'
Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
Enes Kanter wore his heart on his chest for the Boston Celtics Christmas Day game in Toronto.
The Turkish centre arrived at Scotiabank Arena wearing a black T-shirt that read Freedom for All.
Toronto hosted the Celtics on Wednesday for the Raptors first Christmas Day game in franchise history, and the fact Kanter was able to cross the border at all was big news.
Story continues below advertisement
We landed and they were like, Okay, heres the moment! Kanter told reporters prior to tipoff. And people were asking me if I was nervous and Im just like, No, Im just excited. It was really good.
Kanter is an outspoken critic of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogans government for its treatment of residents. The Turkish government revoked his passport in 2017, and so he had not travelled outside the United States for years.
He was able to travel on Wednesday after discussions with the Canadian government, and in a column published earlier this week in The Globe and Mail, Kanter thanked Prime Minister Justin Trudeaus government.
Coming here and now just stepping outside of America for the first time in years, its definitely more than a game for me, Kanter said on Wednesday. Its definitely a blessing to play on a Christmas Day, especially in Toronto, the defending champions.
But it feels good to be out. It feels good to be free, it feels good to be enjoying this time with my teammates, for sure. Its amazing.
Kanter said the Celtics had been working on securing safe travel for him since the schedule was released at the beginning of the season. He said he wasnt 100-per-cent sure hed get the green light however until Dec. 23.
One of my friends reached out to Trudeaus office yesterday and he was vacationing in Costa Rica or something like that, and they said, We all good and told me not to worry about it and that everythings gonna be smooth, Kanter said.
Story continues below advertisement
Kanter, who hosted 50 basketball camps last year in the United States, said hed love to host two or three in Canada this summer.
So now I have a travel document and now Im planning to come here to do a basketball camp in Toronto and Ottawa, and when I run my basketball camp Im planning on meeting with Trudeau, he said.
[Canada] is one of the best countries in the world, but obviously I cannot give back in any way but basketball, so thats why Im gonna come back here to hold a basketball camp.
The 27-year-old big man is averaging 7.8 points and 7.3 rebounds for the Celtics this season.
Read the original post:
- Freedom is never defined as mob rule | Opinion - nj.com - May 19th, 2020
- American freedom was tug-of-war from the start - York Dispatch - May 19th, 2020
- Finding the balance between safety and freedom in the shadow of COVID-19 - VentureBeat - May 19th, 2020
- In time of quarantine, we must resist Grand Inquisitors view of freedom - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom Does Not Mean Being on the Loose - Psychiatric Times - May 19th, 2020
- The van gives me such freedom: Custom conversion gives Eugene woman wheels on which to roam - The Register-Guard - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom is Never Free - The Hudson Reporter - May 19th, 2020
- Germany's flag burning ban is a threat to freedom of expression - Spectator.co.uk - May 19th, 2020
- What will we do with the new freedom to shop and dine? - cleveland.com - May 19th, 2020
- What does freedom mean in this moment? - The Irish Times - May 19th, 2020
- Event captures memories of Freedom Riders' heroic journey between Anniston and Birmingham - Bham Now - May 19th, 2020
- Are Contact Tracing Apps the Key to Lockdown Freedom? - Redbrick - May 19th, 2020
- Hundreds expected to gather for local Faith & Freedom Rally - KDRV - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom of information laws 'have failed to keep pace with public services' - Aberdeen Evening Express - May 19th, 2020
- Captain Tom Moore receives Freedom award during City of London's first 'virtual' ceremony - FE News - May 11th, 2020
- Boris Johnson's roadmap to ease lockdown will start with more freedom to exercise and back-to-work moves from Wednesday - Telegraph.co.uk - May 11th, 2020
- God alone is the source of liberty and freedom - Akron Beacon Journal - May 11th, 2020
- 'Deadly Dictatorship': How Rodrigo Duterte Has Attacked Freedom of the Media in Latest Closure of Main Broadcaster - The National Interest - May 11th, 2020
- Conjure Women is a tale of slavery and its aftermath - The Economist - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Haven Emergency Shelter and Transitional Living Home - - KUSI - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Festival events postponed to 2021, firework show will be held - Deseret News - May 11th, 2020
- Granite State confined at home find freedom and calm in the garden - The Union Leader - May 11th, 2020
- MSNBC contributor: Americans 'freedom-obsessed' to point 'we're blind to other types of threats' | TheHill - The Hill - May 11th, 2020
- Faith and freedom of choice are key ingredients for parenting - The New Indian Express - May 11th, 2020
- Just after Elon Musk denounced coronavirus lockdowns as infringements of freedom, research shows Britons are too scared to leave their homes anyway -... - May 11th, 2020
- Another Freedom Square resident has died of COVID-19 in Pinellas - Tampa Bay Times - May 11th, 2020
- Celebrating freedom in the same garden 75 years on - Jersey Evening Post - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Is An Issue That Stirs Voters - America's 1st Freedom - May 11th, 2020
- How You Can Advance the Cause of Reason and Freedom - New Ideal - May 11th, 2020
- As Spaniards got their first real taste of freedom this weekend, hundreds of them got arrested and thousands were fined - MarketWatch - May 11th, 2020
- Lockdown phase one freedoms in Spains holiday island Mallorca - Euro Weekly News - May 11th, 2020
- Book Review: America, Guns, and Freedom - Accuracy in Academia - April 27th, 2020
- Accountability goes hand-in-hand with personal freedom, especially during adversity - Green Bay Press Gazette - April 27th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Freedom & rallies to reopen - TribLIVE - April 27th, 2020
- From The Editor: Barriers to Freedom - America's 1st Freedom - April 27th, 2020
- Freedom binds us all. Today is all about the greater good - News24 - April 27th, 2020
- Watchdog: Pandemic worsening threat to global media freedom - The Associated Press - April 27th, 2020
- Theodore Gaffney, who photographed the Freedom Riders as they protested segregation, dies of Covid-19 complications - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- This Week in Technology + Press Freedom: April 26, 2020 - Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press - April 27th, 2020
- 15:32 Armenia Ombudsman on freedom of expression in the country - Information-Analytic Agency NEWS.am - April 27th, 2020
- Protesting for the Freedom to Catch the Coronavirus - The New York Times - April 27th, 2020
- From lions to lambs: Covid-19 reveals supposedly freedom-loving British to be anything but, as we happily clap away our liberty - RT - April 27th, 2020
- Outrage as thousands abuse guidelines on first day of freedom - The Leader Newspaper Online - April 27th, 2020
- Freedom, the first casualty in Covid-19 war - Free Malaysia Today - April 27th, 2020
- Hazel C. Boone of Freedom Twp., OH - The Weekly Villager - April 27th, 2020
- Freedom Day: We have a way to go to be truly free - Daily Maverick - April 27th, 2020
- Whither freedom? - The News International - April 27th, 2020
- The rising cost of religious freedom in Vietnam | TheHill - The Hill - April 27th, 2020
- Calls for NHS workers to receive the Freedom of the Borough for their tireless bravery - Wrexham.com - April 27th, 2020
- Passover, Freedom and the Coronavirus | Clifford Rieders - The Times of Israel - April 11th, 2020
- Shaw warns that Freedom Mobile isn't adding as many customers as planned due to COVID-19 - CBC.ca - April 11th, 2020
- America Must Prove the Future Is Freedom - American Greatness - April 11th, 2020
- Israelis mark Passover, a celebration of freedom, in virtual isolation - Reuters - April 11th, 2020
- Eric Johnson on Breaking Patterns to Play with More Freedom - Premier Guitar - April 11th, 2020
- Freedom for man who killed brother in 1996 in argument over smoking - SILive.com - April 11th, 2020
- Whitmer issues order allowing delayed in-person processing of Freedom of Information Act requests - MLive.com - April 11th, 2020
- Wife of imprisoned former congressman cites COVID-19 risk in plea to Trump for husband's freedom | TheHill - The Hill - April 11th, 2020
- Freedom From Facebook Expands To Take On Google - Oakland News Now - April 11th, 2020
- Freedom in the time of COVID-19 - The New Indian Express - April 11th, 2020
- Dispute in Ireland over academic freedom and internationalization - Inside Higher Ed - April 11th, 2020
- Married With Kids: Freedom in the age of the coronavirus - Canadian Jewish News - April 11th, 2020
- 30 Years of Freedom: The Opposition Roundtable Laying the Groundwork for Democratic Hungary - Budapest Business Journal - April 11th, 2020
- The cost to freedom in the war against COVID-19 - Pursuit - April 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus has exposed the myth of British exceptionalism - The Guardian - April 11th, 2020
- Jennifer Kohan of Fellowship Freedom Plans selected as Top Director of the Year by the International Association of Top Professionals - TAPinto.net - March 4th, 2020
- Schools must earn the freedom to make decisions, says Premier - The Sydney Morning Herald - March 4th, 2020
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Supporting freedom; part of the package; end death penalty - NWAOnline - March 4th, 2020
- Darmanovi on Freedom of Religion Act: No need for international arbitrage in Montenegro - European Western Balkans - March 4th, 2020
- Freedom Solar: record profits and growth in Texas residential and commercial PV - pv magazine USA - March 4th, 2020
- How Some Union Bosses Menace American Workers' Freedom - The National Interest Online - March 4th, 2020
- Ask a North Korean: can money buy freedom in the DPRK? - NK News - March 4th, 2020
- Freedom in the World 2020: Armenia and Artsakh rated as 'partly free' - - March 4th, 2020
- Freedom of movement could be retained in Scotland post-Brexit - The Scotsman - March 4th, 2020
- The Reverse Freedom Rides And Their Long Aftermath : Code Switch - NPR - March 4th, 2020
- Freedom boys hoops clips No. 1 seed Allen, is 1 win away from ending 44-year drought - lehighvalleylive.com - March 4th, 2020
- A Tweet Shows How Scared Gun-Control Activists are of Women and Minorities Enjoying Their Freedom - America's 1st Freedom - March 4th, 2020
- Sophie and Hans Scholl died resisting the Nazis. Let's not take freedom for granted - TheArticle - March 4th, 2020
- Tacky's Revolt review: Britain, Jamaica, slavery and an early fight for freedom - The Guardian - March 4th, 2020
- These Are the 10 'Most Urgent' Threats to Press Freedom in March 2020 - TIME - March 4th, 2020
- Submariners from HMS Vengeance and Bury sea cadets exercise Freedom of Bury St Edmunds with parade in town centre | Latest Suffolk and Essex News -... - March 4th, 2020