Locked in a tense and even battle with Allen, Freedom High Schools boys basketball team needed a little spark to get some separation.
That spark came in the form of a whistle.
And that whistle was big trouble for the Canaries.
Fourth-seeded Freedom knocked off top-seeded Allen, the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference champion, 75-71 in the District 11 Class 6A semifinals on Wednesday night at Libertys Memorial Gymnasium.
The Patriots (16-8) advance to meet seventh-seeded Northampton, a 60-46 winner over Easton, in the district championship 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Easton Area Middle School.
That's a fun one. These kids deserve it, Freedom coach Joe Stellato said. (Allen)'s a great basketball team, obviously. We've said it before, it's tough to win a league championship and come back and win a district championship. It's just not easy. But, they're a very good basketball team; they're well-coached by a legend. It was just our turn tonight.
I'm speechless, senior guard Malek Mims said. Emotions are crazy right now ... Our team has been talking about it for so long ... For it to come true is amazing.
Mims slashed to the basket and scored while being fouled by Allen senior big man Quinton Stewart, giving Freedom a 38-34 lead with 5:32 left in the third quarter. In the commotion after the play, Stewart was whistled for a technical, which gave him a fifth and disqualifying foul, and left the Canaries without one of their post players.
That was huge. He was killing us, Stellato said. When they have two bigs (Stewart and Aquele Adderley) like that in the game, they're a dangerous team. They've proved that all year long. That obviously helped us, because it's tough to cover both those guys.
That's their strength and that's one of our weaknesses our rebounding, Patriots senior guard Caleb Mims said. When he fouled out, they were the same size as us. That was a huge advantage for us.
Canaries coach Doug Snyder was disappointed to see his team falter on what was a point of emphasis.
The word 'composure' was used several times in the pregame speech ... We've played them twice. In both cases, there were several technical fouls called on both sides. I knew that was going to be the case, Snyder said. I said to our guys, 'You need to keep your calm; you need to be composed; you need to keep your cool.' We didn't do that. We have to accept the blame on that. Quinton Stewart can't sit on the bench for almost an entire half of a district semifinal.
Malek Mims sank the two free throws from the technical and the one for the original foul. Then, senior guard Malik Harrington drilled a 3-pointer and Freedom took a 44-34 lead by scoring eight points in just 32 seconds of game time.
The Patriots led by as many as 13, 51-38, after a layup by senior David Barnes in the final minute of the third quarter.
The Canaries (22-5) cut into Freedoms margin by getting to the foul line in the final period. Allen made nine foul shots down the stretch, but the Patriots still seemed to have the game in hand when senior forward Samir Georges rebounded a missed foul shot and scored to give Freedom a 68-62 edge with 1:20 on the clock.
Allen junior Mel Copeland, however, drained a deep 3-pointer to slice Freedoms advantage to 68-65 with 1:05 to play and then Freedom turned the ball over thanks to a backcourt violation.
The Canaries missed a shot on the ensuing possession and Malek Mims followed with two pairs of free throws to seal the result in the final 45 seconds.
The formula that we developed over the course of our success this season was not followed tonight, Snyder said. We were sloppy, undisciplined, a little selfish ... Freedom made us pay.
Caleb Mims finished with 20 points for Freedom. Malek Mims and Barnes added 16 points apiece.
Stellato was happy with the contributions the Patriots received across the board.
They came up huge, the coach said. Taj Montgomery came in and had a great second half. Barnes played outstanding. Georges came in and had that huge layup. Everybody contributed; it wasn't just The Mims Show tonight.
Everybody played their game, said Malek Mims, who set the school record with his 252nd career steal. Nobody tried to do too much. We shared the ball. Everybody did their thing and stepped up.
Ellis finished with 24 points, followed by Copeland (17), Manny Ozuna (14) and Adderley (13) for the Canaries, who now play Easton in a consolation game noon Saturday at Pleasant Valley.
I think I have to come after them hard tomorrow in practice and see where they're at, Snyder said. I asked them to look in the mirror and accept the fact that they made mistakes.
Freedom will make its first appearance in the district final since losing to Parkland in 2013. The Patriots, who beat Northampton 74-68 in January, havent won a D-11 crown since 1976.
Similarly, the Konkrete Kids (15-9) havent captured a district title since 1972.
Something has to give.
We're not going to go in there all cocky, Malek Mims said. We're going to prepare for them the right way and try to do our best to win that game.
Both of us are very hungry, Caleb Mims said. Nobody expected this. Its going to be a war. Im sure theyll be ready and so will we.
Kyle Craig may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @KyleCraigSports. Find Lehigh Valley high school sports on Facebook.
- Freedom of Religion or Belief club formed at BYU - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - September 18th, 2020
- Freedom 76 At Grandview Will Be Live On FloRacing - FloRacing - September 18th, 2020
- Aviation Analysis: Revival of Fifth Freedom Flights? - Sam Chui - September 18th, 2020
- Trump Attacks The 1619 Project: U.S. Wasnt Founded On Slavery And Oppression, It Was Freedom - Moguldom - September 18th, 2020
- PAUL TIYAMBE ZELEZA - Beyond Political Freedom to Inclusive Wealth Creation and Self-Reliance - The Elephant - September 18th, 2020
- Backyard pool will bring joy and freedom to Niagara Falls boy - StCatharinesStandard.ca - September 18th, 2020
- Parson James Talks New Single, Lockdown, and Artistic Freedom - vmagazine.com - September 18th, 2020
- Private Railways Will Have Freedom To Set Their Own Fares: Government - NDTV - September 18th, 2020
- McCarthy focused on election, not Freedom Caucus push to remove Pelosi - Roll Call - September 18th, 2020
- Julian Assange, and Press Freedom, on Trial in London - Democracy Now! - September 18th, 2020
- Heres How to Retire at 45 with Financial Freedom - Investment U - September 18th, 2020
- Freedom and Madison off to a 'super' school year - Conway Daily Sun - September 2nd, 2020
- Freedom and Independence group formed to combat Soviet terror founded 75 years ago today - The First News - September 2nd, 2020
- COMMENTARY: Your freedom hinges on freedom of speech - The Cherokee One Feather - Cherokee One Feather - September 2nd, 2020
- Will it be Freedom Hilly cross country course? - The Macomb Daily - September 2nd, 2020
- Joliet Township Sued Under The Freedom of Information Act; Unauthorized Fees - Edgar County Watchdogs - September 2nd, 2020
- OPINION/LETTER: Gun range noise is the 'sound of freedom' - Cape Cod Times - September 2nd, 2020
- What was the Red Sox best trade-deadline acquisition? Freedom from luxury-tax penalties - The Boston Globe - September 2nd, 2020
- Fortify Your Home on the Cheap, Part 2 - America's 1st Freedom - September 2nd, 2020
- Sen. Gardner touts vaccine progress, pandemic legislation at Steamboat Institute's Freedom Conference in Beaver Creek - Steamboat Pilot and Today - September 2nd, 2020
- 'Zombies of the Corn' haunted attraction set for 8th season of frightful fun in Freedom - TribLIVE - September 2nd, 2020
- President Armen Sarkissian: Artsakh Was the Spark Which Lit the Fire of Freedom - Armenian News by MassisPost - September 2nd, 2020
- One Database to Rule Them All: The Invisible Content Cartel that Undermines the Freedom of Expression Online - EFF - September 2nd, 2020
- Personal freedom is still limited in most of the Islamic world - The Economist - September 2nd, 2020
- 'Mental Freedom' part two - The River Reporter - September 2nd, 2020
- Tuesday Freedom Kicks: Gelmin Rivas to D.C. United, continued fallout at Real Salt Lake, and more - Black And Red United - September 2nd, 2020
- Freedom Means Something Different to Liberals and Conservatives. Heres How the Definition SplitAnd Why That Still Matters - TIME - August 31st, 2020
- Trademark Parody and Freedom of Speech in the U.S. - JD Supra - August 31st, 2020
- D.C., Loudoun lose, Weston to Juve done & more: Freedom Kicks for 8/31/20 - Black And Red United - August 31st, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: The real meaning of freedom - The Bakersfield Californian - August 31st, 2020
- Bass: Exercising freedom to be exposed to COVID-19 - Berkshire Eagle - August 31st, 2020
- Dean Cain: NYC becoming land of the flee as people leave in search of more freedom - Fox News - August 31st, 2020
- In Conversation: Georgia Anne Muldrow on Finding Freedom as Jyoti - FLOOD Magazine - August 31st, 2020
- Watershed moment for freedom of speech: Prashant Bhushan on SC verdict. Read full statement here - Hindustan Times - August 31st, 2020
- Trumps ban of TikTok and WeChat would reduce Americans freedom of speech and harm foreign investment in the U.S. - MarketWatch - August 31st, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: It's All About Freedom - Centralia Chronicle - August 31st, 2020
- CLARK B. HALL: Rare images record freedom in the making - starexponent.com - August 31st, 2020
- Tantrum Or Freedom Of Expression Over Face Masks? - wcrz.com - August 31st, 2020
- This is my freedom of speech - Newnan Times-Herald - August 31st, 2020
- There are limits to freedom - Mount Airy News - August 31st, 2020
- Freedom in the Muslim World - Cato Institute - August 31st, 2020
- Shevar Perry to Open Solo Exhibit Moments of Freedom August 24th, 2020 - Suburban Journals - August 31st, 2020
- 'I enjoy the freedom and picking funds': why this doctor ditched his 250,000 NHS pension - Telegraph.co.uk - August 31st, 2020
- Freedom and the pursuit of safety - The Boston Globe - August 10th, 2020
- Texas History: Sizing up daily lives in the states freedom colonies - Brownwood Bulletin - August 10th, 2020
- Columbia Professor Sarah Seo to Talk about 'Cars, Police and Freedom in the United States' on Thursday - Redheaded Blackbelt - August 10th, 2020
- Finding Freedom by Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand Harry and Meghan and the making of a modern royal family - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- She Wanted More Freedom and Meaning From Her Career - The Story Exchange - August 10th, 2020
- This Week in Washington IP: Injunctions for SEPs, How Innovation Flourishes in Freedom, and Reviewing SBIR/STTR at the National Science Foundation -... - August 10th, 2020
- Adolescent bodily integrity and freedom from violence in Ethiopia - Ethiopia - ReliefWeb - August 10th, 2020
- Breaking the loan shackle: How to win freedom from debt - Moneycontrol.com - August 10th, 2020
- Behind The Blue: 'Embattled Freedom' And Confederate Memorials - Patch.com - August 10th, 2020
- Mapping Media Freedom: Big Increase in Threats Reported in Albania During 2020 - Exit - Explain Albania - August 10th, 2020
- Flight to Freedom: Pilot lands in Nueces County to pick up two abandoned dogs due to pandemic and flies them to their new foster home - KIIITV.com - August 10th, 2020
- Opinion | With Trump appointing anti-abortion judges, the fight for reproductive freedom is critical - Street Roots News - August 10th, 2020
- 'Behind the Blue': 'Embattled Freedom' and Confederate Memorials With Amy Murrell Taylor - UKNow - August 10th, 2020
- Trump's Threat to Press Freedom Is Global - Truthout - August 10th, 2020
- OPINION: What freedom means to the United States - The Student Life - August 10th, 2020
- Woman claiming to be from 'Freedom to Breathe Agency' gets into viral exchange with store employee over mask policy | TheHill - The Hill - August 10th, 2020
- UNSW criticised for letter in Chinese with no mention of freedom of speech - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- COVID19: Is there freedom in silence? - Financial Mirror - August 10th, 2020
- Freedom and justice for ALL | Other Opinions - Aitkin Independent Age - August 7th, 2020
- Girl Hides Audition From Dad, Finds Her 'Freedom In Singing' Watch What Happens Next - Talent Recap - August 7th, 2020
- Masks to freedom: Wearing masks will bring back freedom - The Milpitas Beat - August 7th, 2020
- Tamika Mallory Of Until Freedom Criticizes The California District Attorneys Association's Request For The NFL To Pull Stephon Clark PSA - PRNewswire - August 7th, 2020
- The never-ending struggle: blending freedom and justice, with a dash of compassion - MinnPost - August 7th, 2020
- Freedom in THE SON! - Blogs - The Hutchinson News - August 7th, 2020
- Pardon our noise, it's the sound of freedom: Jaded Thunder returns - Salina Post - August 7th, 2020
- Introduction to the Freedom of Information Act | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - August 7th, 2020
- 'It's the freedom of it': Bikers rally in Stateline ahead of Sturgis, unconcerned about virus - The Spokesman-Review - August 7th, 2020
- Australia has a problem with freedom of speech - The Big Smoke Australia - August 7th, 2020
- Troubled Freedom Foods keeps it in the family for now - The Australian Financial Review - August 7th, 2020
- Letter: Marlboro's Degrees of Freedom can thrive - with innovation, collaboration - Brattleboro Reformer - August 2nd, 2020
- 'Freedom' rally in Twin Falls decries moderate Republicans, public education, masks and the media - bigcountrynewsconnection.com - August 2nd, 2020
- When it comes to freedom of the press, it is 'problematic' in many of the richest countries across the world - USA TODAY - August 2nd, 2020
- Editors opened the doors to Freedom School, then even wider as magazine of black thought - Cambridge Day - August 2nd, 2020
- Memorial honors families that have paid the ultimate price for America's freedom - Standard-Examiner - August 2nd, 2020
- 120 alerts in 4 months: Severe threats to press freedom across Europe - IFEX - August 2nd, 2020
- As feds attacks freedom, where's the right wing? - Santa Fe New Mexican - August 2nd, 2020
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are Doing the Opposite of 'Finding Freedom' - The Daily Beast - August 2nd, 2020