The Freedom Patriots are extremely familiar foes for Parkland High Schools football team at this point.
But theyre extra familiar for Angel Santos.
The Trojans senior played with the current Patriots until moving out of the Bethlehem Area School District in the eighth grade and his two brothers, Andres and Joseph, competed for Freedom a handful of years ago.
It's a big game for me because I know all the kids there, said Santos, a middle linebacker/running back. I went to school with them. I was supposed to play with them, but I moved over here and now I'm playing for Parkland.
Friday night will mark the fourth straight year the Trojans (9-2) will meet Freedom (10-1) in the postseason. The second-seeded Patriots host third-seeded Parkland in the District 11 Class 6A semifinals at Bethlehem Area School District Stadium.
Parkland has the wind at its back, with seven consecutive wins after a 2-2 start. One of those early setbacks was a 21-18 defeat to Freedom.
I think they've been hungry the whole year, coming from 2-2 with their backs against the wall, Parkland coach Tim Moncman said of his players. This is our fourth time (playing Freedom) in two years and they've won the last three. We just hope to play our best and see what happens.
Parklands early season injuries have been well-reported. The Trojans will enter Fridays semifinal with more tools at their disposal compared to their first meeting with Freedom, particularly as Moncman noted, senior offensive tackle Nick Dawkins, a Penn State recruit.
Parkland has also been clamping down on opposing offenses. The Trojans are allowing an average of 10.3 points per game over their last seven victories.
Defensively, we have a couple bodies back, but we're just clicking, Moncman said. We're playing pretty well running to the ball, swarming to the ball.
Our defense has been key, Santos said. Our defense has been great, and it's been stopping everyone. And our offense is getting better and better every week.
While the team has dealt with ailments at different areas, Santos has been a steady presence in the middle of the D all season.
He's the captain of the defense, Moncman said. He makes all the calls and gets there with a purpose.
Santos, who is listed at 5-foot-10, 210 pounds, can certainly make the pads pop when he reaches the ball-carrier.
He is as blue-collar as it gets, Moncman said.
The middle linebacker and his teammates have a tall task in slowing down the Patriots, who are the defending District 11 Class 6A champions.
(Quarterback Jared) Jenkins makes all the right decisions, Moncman said. I think (Jalen) Stewart and (Matty) Russin are as good a 1-2 punch as you could see. They'd be primary backs for anybody. So, they're explosive on offense and come after you on defense.
Santos leads the Trojans with 88 tackles, including eight TFLs and three sacks.
Hes also an effective change-of-pace back behind junior Isiah Rico (200 carries, 1,289 yards, 16 touchdowns).
We'll use him at running back and he's a beast to bring down, Moncman said.
Santos has taken 39 carries for 302 yards and six touchdowns.
I try to get as much as I can, Santos said of playing running back. I try not to let anyone take me down 1-on-1.
A steady running game will be important for Parkland as sophomore quarterback Ty Tremba (58-for-107, 964 yards, 8 TDs, 5 INTs), who took over near the midway point of the regular season, enters the biggest start of his young career.
I think the switch at quarterback has sparked us quite a bit, Moncman said.
Santos knows the rushing attack is important. He also knows that his strength is a major element of his game, and he credits his work with the Parkland power-lifting team for some of the advancements in that area.
It was a great experience lifting with them, the senior said. Everyone was getting stronger and stronger.
Santos found a little motivation from within his family when he worked in the weight room.
When I was younger and my brothers were playing for Freedom, I used to work out with them all the time, he said. ... When I got here and I saw (the power-lifting team), my goal became to lift more than my brother (Andres).
Has he reached that goal?
Just by a little bit, Santos said with a laugh.
Right now, the senior is more focused on beating his brothers old team.
RELATED: High school football predictions for Week 12
Kyle Craig may be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @KyleCraigSports. Find Lehigh Valley high school sports on Facebook.
Read the original:
- Freedom and the pursuit of safety - The Boston Globe - August 10th, 2020
- Texas History: Sizing up daily lives in the states freedom colonies - Brownwood Bulletin - August 10th, 2020
- Columbia Professor Sarah Seo to Talk about 'Cars, Police and Freedom in the United States' on Thursday - Redheaded Blackbelt - August 10th, 2020
- Finding Freedom by Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand Harry and Meghan and the making of a modern royal family - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- She Wanted More Freedom and Meaning From Her Career - The Story Exchange - August 10th, 2020
- This Week in Washington IP: Injunctions for SEPs, How Innovation Flourishes in Freedom, and Reviewing SBIR/STTR at the National Science Foundation -... - August 10th, 2020
- Adolescent bodily integrity and freedom from violence in Ethiopia - Ethiopia - ReliefWeb - August 10th, 2020
- Breaking the loan shackle: How to win freedom from debt - Moneycontrol.com - August 10th, 2020
- Behind The Blue: 'Embattled Freedom' And Confederate Memorials - Patch.com - August 10th, 2020
- Mapping Media Freedom: Big Increase in Threats Reported in Albania During 2020 - Exit - Explain Albania - August 10th, 2020
- Flight to Freedom: Pilot lands in Nueces County to pick up two abandoned dogs due to pandemic and flies them to their new foster home - KIIITV.com - August 10th, 2020
- Opinion | With Trump appointing anti-abortion judges, the fight for reproductive freedom is critical - Street Roots News - August 10th, 2020
- 'Behind the Blue': 'Embattled Freedom' and Confederate Memorials With Amy Murrell Taylor - UKNow - August 10th, 2020
- Trump's Threat to Press Freedom Is Global - Truthout - August 10th, 2020
- OPINION: What freedom means to the United States - The Student Life - August 10th, 2020
- Woman claiming to be from 'Freedom to Breathe Agency' gets into viral exchange with store employee over mask policy | TheHill - The Hill - August 10th, 2020
- UNSW criticised for letter in Chinese with no mention of freedom of speech - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- COVID19: Is there freedom in silence? - Financial Mirror - August 10th, 2020
- Freedom and justice for ALL | Other Opinions - Aitkin Independent Age - August 7th, 2020
- Girl Hides Audition From Dad, Finds Her 'Freedom In Singing' Watch What Happens Next - Talent Recap - August 7th, 2020
- Masks to freedom: Wearing masks will bring back freedom - The Milpitas Beat - August 7th, 2020
- Tamika Mallory Of Until Freedom Criticizes The California District Attorneys Association's Request For The NFL To Pull Stephon Clark PSA - PRNewswire - August 7th, 2020
- The never-ending struggle: blending freedom and justice, with a dash of compassion - MinnPost - August 7th, 2020
- Freedom in THE SON! - Blogs - The Hutchinson News - August 7th, 2020
- Pardon our noise, it's the sound of freedom: Jaded Thunder returns - Salina Post - August 7th, 2020
- Introduction to the Freedom of Information Act | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - August 7th, 2020
- 'It's the freedom of it': Bikers rally in Stateline ahead of Sturgis, unconcerned about virus - The Spokesman-Review - August 7th, 2020
- Australia has a problem with freedom of speech - The Big Smoke Australia - August 7th, 2020
- Troubled Freedom Foods keeps it in the family for now - The Australian Financial Review - August 7th, 2020
- Letter: Marlboro's Degrees of Freedom can thrive - with innovation, collaboration - Brattleboro Reformer - August 2nd, 2020
- 'Freedom' rally in Twin Falls decries moderate Republicans, public education, masks and the media - bigcountrynewsconnection.com - August 2nd, 2020
- When it comes to freedom of the press, it is 'problematic' in many of the richest countries across the world - USA TODAY - August 2nd, 2020
- Editors opened the doors to Freedom School, then even wider as magazine of black thought - Cambridge Day - August 2nd, 2020
- Memorial honors families that have paid the ultimate price for America's freedom - Standard-Examiner - August 2nd, 2020
- 120 alerts in 4 months: Severe threats to press freedom across Europe - IFEX - August 2nd, 2020
- As feds attacks freedom, where's the right wing? - Santa Fe New Mexican - August 2nd, 2020
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are Doing the Opposite of 'Finding Freedom' - The Daily Beast - August 2nd, 2020
- Weve Neglected the Freedom of Assembly for Years Before Portland - Slate - August 2nd, 2020
- Did President Obama Award Jeffrey Epstein the Medal of Freedom? - Snopes.com - August 2nd, 2020
- Virtual NAACP Convention to kick off locally with "Freedom Weekend" - Dorchester Reporter - August 2nd, 2020
- Is the singers' freedom of expression absolute? - Annapurna Express - August 2nd, 2020
- Freedom goes hand in hand with restraint - Daily Nation - August 2nd, 2020
- Why Saifuddin Sozs Failure to Secure Freedom from 'House Arrest' Should Concern Us All - The Wire - August 2nd, 2020
- A community conversation on race and freedom - PAHomePage.com - August 2nd, 2020
- Sozs detention: Calling it freedom may be stretching law to breaking - The Times of India Blog - August 2nd, 2020
- Finding Freedom: 10 things we learned from Harry and Meghan's book - The Guardian - August 2nd, 2020
- Coronavirus Cases On The Rise In Italy. Freedom Does Not Mean Infecting Others - Forbes - July 31st, 2020
- Freedom Schools come to Wilmington, here's what the program is all about [Free read] - Port City Daily - July 31st, 2020
- Internet freedom is in imminent danger, claims Twitter boss Jack Dorsey in attack on other tech companies - The Independent - July 31st, 2020
- Hugo Spotlight: Ted Chiang's Anxiety is the Dizziness of Freedom Transforms the Familiar - tor.com - July 31st, 2020
- Captain Sir Tom Moore receives honorary freedom of his home town - shropshirestar.com - July 31st, 2020
- A Scary Fact Found in a Gun Survey on the Upcoming Election - America's 1st Freedom - July 31st, 2020
- Secret passageways and freedom roads: Remnants of the Underground Railroad in NC - WRAL.com - July 31st, 2020
- Award-Winning IPhone Photos Capture Global Scenes Of Freedom And Serenity : Goats and Soda - NPR - July 31st, 2020
- 155 Years of Black Freedom - Columbia Business Times - July 31st, 2020
- Fear of speech is replacing freedom of speech - The Boston Globe - July 31st, 2020
- "Freedom Festival" is planned this weekend - The Ellsworth American - July 31st, 2020
- Freedom worth fighting for right here in America - Times Union - July 31st, 2020
- TCW's Brexit Watch: Are we heading for a fake freedom? - The Conservative Woman - July 31st, 2020
- John Lewis: 'Now it is your turn to let freedom ring' | TheHill - The Hill - July 31st, 2020
- The Hard Right is a Far Greater Threat to Freedom of Speech than 'Cancel Culture' - Byline Times - July 31st, 2020
- On the internet, freedom for some never means freedom for all - The Spinoff - July 31st, 2020
- Freedom of the great outdoors - Farm and Dairy - July 31st, 2020
- The distance ahead: John Lewis, Gov. John Patterson and the challenges of reconciliation - Montgomery Advertiser - July 31st, 2020
- Joe Rogan is Moving to Texas, Says There's More Freedom There - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 30th, 2020
- Opinion: Turkey closing window on press freedom - DW (English) - July 30th, 2020
- THIS WEEK IN HISTORY: Freedoms Davis adds to banner year - Morganton News Herald - July 30th, 2020
- Two years after Janus, more workers are exercising their freedom of association - San Bernardino County Sun - July 30th, 2020
- Freedom of speech is a right, but is there a line drawn for teachers - MyFoxZone.com KIDY - July 30th, 2020
- Berta Cceres in her own words - Toward Freedom - July 30th, 2020
- Letters: An alarming threat to our freedom to speak freely - HeraldScotland - July 30th, 2020
- How the automobile is giving us back our freedom in the summer of COVID-19 - Driving - July 30th, 2020
- Weekend Protest Round-Up: Massive Crowds, Unpredictable Tear Gas, More Freedom for the Press - The Portland Mercury - July 30th, 2020
- Freedom Healthy Cooking Oils Launches a campaign #Immunity begins in the Kitchen - PR Newswire India - July 29th, 2020
- Guest editorial: Mask-wearing protects freedom and the economy - Lewiston Morning Tribune - July 29th, 2020
- The Venus in Scorpio finds freedom with new single Roam - CelebMix - July 29th, 2020
- NLRB Decision Gives Employers More Freedom to Address Offensive and Abusive Conduct - JD Supra - July 29th, 2020
- What Prince William Thinks of the New Finding Freedom Book About the Royal Family - Us Weekly - July 29th, 2020
- Religious freedom is no reason to deny people with disabilities the right to equality in the workplace | TheHill - The Hill - July 29th, 2020
- Repealing Ohio's CAT Will Enhance Economic Freedom and Opportunity - Buckeye Institute - July 29th, 2020