Guarding the independence of the press is essential to maintaining truth as a common good. And truth is essential to democracy.
As Thomas Jefferson wrote, [W]ere it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.
Yet the presss freedom and independence are under siege, and a growing segment of the public no longer trusts the major media.
Distrust was on the rise even before Donald Trumps demagoguery. On the eve of the 2016 presidential election, only 18% of Americans said they had high trust in the national news media, according to the Pew Research Center.
Contrast this with American opinion 44 years before. In 1972, in the wake of investigative reporting that revealed truths about Vietnam and Nixons Watergate scandal, 72% of Americans expressed trust and confidence in the press.
Why the precipitous decline? Partly because much of the media has been focused on maximizing profits, catering to what is popular or sensational rather than what citizens need to know. This has transformed journalists from investigators and analysts offering serious news to content providers competing for attention.
A Tyndall Report study found that in the 2008 presidential election the major TV networks devoted a total of 220 minutes to reporting candidates positions on issues of public policy. Four years later, the networks allocated 114 minutes to policy. In 2016, by late October, they had devoted a total of just 32 minutes.
The popular and sensational are also driving social media, where some 68% of the American public now gets its news.
Donald Trumps presidency marks the culmination of these trends. Schooled in reality television and New York tabloids, Trump understands how to drive ratings and get attention. As the 2016 presidential race heated up, Leslie Moonves, CEO of CBS, admitted the Trump phenomenon may not be good for America, but its damn good for CBS.
Trumps lies and ongoing attacks on his critics in the media score points with his base but at the expense of a weakened democracy. If a large enough portion of the public comes to trust Trumps own words more than the medias, Trump can get away with saying and doing whatever he wants. When that happens, democracy ends.
How, then, can print and broadcast news rebuild public trust? Publishers and editors must demonstrate to the public that their news stories are produced accurately and intelligently by following five principles.
First, news-gathering and reporting must be independent of executives who represent the interests of shareholders.
Second, media outlets should clearly state their processes for checking facts and correcting errors, and ensuring that the public is made aware of corrections.
Third, they must separate facts and analysis from opinions and advocacy.
Fourth, they must inform readers and viewers of any news or news-gathering that is funded by organizations with a stake in whats reported.
Social media should make clear which content is paid for and by whom, as well as the sources of all non-paid content, including the names and addresses of individuals responsible.
Fifth, they should have ombudsmen to investigate public complaints about their coverage, along with public editors who serve as paid in-house critics.
Even with all this, there is also a need for at least some truly independent newspapers and media outlets, like the Guardian, financed not by commercial sponsors or any party with a financial or other interest, but which exist solely to serve the public.
These steps are necessary not only to rebuild public trust but also to restore the media to its rightful place in our democracy and protect the truth as a common good.
Read the original:
- Melissa Martin: What happens when freedom of the press is silenced? - Cleburne Times-Review - January 1st, 2020
- Bagram's Afghan music night is the American base's other 'sound of freedom' - Stars and Stripes - January 1st, 2020
- Theros: Beyond Death Previews - Glimpse of Freedom and Sweet Oblivion MTG Arena Zone - MTG Arena Zone - January 1st, 2020
- Invest in Freedom: Support the Washington Monthly - Washington Monthly - January 1st, 2020
- Alabama's 200 years in 200 images: Freedom fighting from Iwo Jima to Selma - AL.com - January 1st, 2020
- Letter: Choice is simple freedom or slavery? - Northwest Herald - January 1st, 2020
- STORIES OF THE DECADE: Freedom boys hoops rallies to win 2013-14 state title at buzzer - Morganton News Herald - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom of the Seas Live Blog - Day 1 - Embarkation - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 1st, 2020
- Ring in the New Year with Freedom Soup: Recipe - FOX 29 News Philadelphia - January 1st, 2020
- OSCE Representative on Freedom of Media welcomes release of Aseev and Halaziuk - Ukrinform. Ukraine and world news - January 1st, 2020
- STORIES OF THE DECADE: Freedom girls go perfect in 2015-16 for programs 5th title - Morganton News Herald - January 1st, 2020
- Press freedom situation yet to be satisfactory: FNJ - Khabarhub - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom of the Seas 2019 Live Blog - Preview - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom from 3Cs - The Indian Express - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom, Real Dividend of Democracy - THISDAY Newspapers - January 1st, 2020
- Economic freedom, not government programs, the key to poverty reduction - Orange County Register - Daily Gaming Worlld - January 1st, 2020
- Freedom Synonyms, Freedom Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - December 27th, 2019
- Byrne: Freedom from Religion Foundation needs to "stop forcing their ungodly, un-American views down our throats" - alreporter.com - December 27th, 2019
- Western Balkans Have Yet to Embrace Freedom of Information - Balkan Insight - December 27th, 2019
- Video: King Willem-Alexander addresses the Dutch public on Christmas Day, stressing the importance of freedom - Royal Central - December 27th, 2019
- Freedom to offend is a right and essential to democracy, says outgoing press watchdog chairman - The Sun - December 27th, 2019
- Of Concerns and Waivers: Religious Freedom and US Interests in Central Asia - The Diplomat - December 27th, 2019
- Climate tariffs on fracked molecules of freedom: German think tank wants to punish US for sanctions against Nord Stream 2 - RT - December 27th, 2019
- Weekly Wrap: Winter Solstice celebrations and responses | Freedom From Religion Foundation - Patheos - December 27th, 2019
- 'Freedom for All': Enes Kanter finally allowed to travel outside the U.S. for game - The Globe and Mail - December 27th, 2019
- The Colorado Springs Gazette: Happy Hanukkah, a celebration of freedom - coloradopolitics.com - December 27th, 2019
- True freedom is learning to love yourself | Opinion | Pittsburgh - PGH City Paper - December 27th, 2019
- Freedom Of Assembly - The Nation - December 27th, 2019
- A Trump sweatshirt and some thoughts on freedom - LancasterOnline - December 27th, 2019
- To Pay For The Freedom Dividend, Andrew Yang Says Our Mental State Matters To The Math - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Freedom Township man arrested after excessive speeds on motorcyle - Record-Courier - December 26th, 2019
- It's Official: 'Freedom Gas' Is the Worst Phrase of the Year - Gizmodo - December 26th, 2019
- In Punjab, the Legacy of the Ghadar Movement Continues to Inspire the Fight for Justice - The Wire - December 26th, 2019
- The Times view on freedom of speech: Taking Offence - The Times - December 26th, 2019
- Students at elite Shanghai university protest the removal of "freedom of thought" from the school charter - Boing Boing - December 21st, 2019
- Why Freedom Gas Was Voted The Worst Phrase Of The Year - OilPrice.com - December 21st, 2019
- Review: Wing Freedom e-bike wins style points and it works great, too! - Electrek - December 21st, 2019
- Explained: Reading Bangladesh provisions for citizenship and freedom of religion - The Indian Express - December 21st, 2019
- Tennessee football: Vols now have freedom to target top 2020 prospects - All for Tennessee - December 21st, 2019
- Andrew Yang: 'If we had a freedom dividend, I would not be the only candidate of color on the stage' - USA TODAY - December 21st, 2019
- My shortwave radio still speaks of freedom | Comment - The Times - December 21st, 2019
- Chinese University Drops 'Freedom of Thought' From Charter - Inside Higher Ed - December 19th, 2019
- Freedom, Peace, and Justice: The Surprising Success of Sudan's Glorious Revolution - Just Security - December 19th, 2019
- The Gift of Fire: The Purpose of Capital as Freedom - Nonprofit Quarterly - December 19th, 2019
- Fuel the Fight for Reason, Individualism and Freedom - New Ideal - December 19th, 2019
- Top Chinese Universities Amend Charters to Remove Reference to Freedom - Radio Free Asia - December 19th, 2019
- Leading Chinese university drops 'freedom of thought' from charter - Bangkok Post - December 19th, 2019
- Jeff Bezos Freedom's Wings Award Highlights the Annual Living Legends of Aviation Awards - PRNewswire - December 19th, 2019
- POV: Trump's Executive Order Aimed at Protecting Jews Will Have a Chilling Effect on Freedom of Speech at Colleges - BU Today - December 19th, 2019
- Maple Leafs Prospect Report: Growlers giving Hollowell more freedom, Agostino dominant in AHL and more - The Athletic - December 19th, 2019
- Giving back to those who gave us freedom. - Verizon Communications - December 19th, 2019
- Opinion: The danger facing journalists in Hong Kong is a threat to press freedom everywhere - Los Angeles Times - December 19th, 2019
- Jodie Turner-Smith Reflects On Finally Loving Herself: 'I Hated Myself And Hated The Dark Skin' - Essence - December 19th, 2019
- Harvey Weinstein Is Trying To Buy His Freedom & Innocence. I See Right Through It. - Refinery29 - December 19th, 2019
- Amnesty International Canada Questions Freedom of Speech and Assembly - Reason - December 12th, 2019
- CoE urges Azerbaijan to respect freedom of expression, support IDPs - Emerging Europe - December 12th, 2019
- Lebron and student athletes alike deserve freedom to speak - The Tide - December 12th, 2019
- Fox host lambasts Trump over 'most sustained assault on press freedom in US history' - The Guardian - December 12th, 2019
- Bethlehem Catholic girls basketball shakes off early nerves in win over Freedom - lehighvalleylive.com - December 12th, 2019
- How This 17-Year-Old Rapper Found Freedom In Self-Expression - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 12th, 2019
- European rights body urges Azerbaijan to respect freedom of expression - Reuters - December 12th, 2019
- Minnesota Brothers Have Taught Firearms Safety Together for More Than 50 Years - America's 1st Freedom - December 12th, 2019
- Freedom wrestling rolls to championship at Battle of Bethlehem - lehighvalleylive.com - December 12th, 2019
- Hong Kong's Struggle Against Tyranny, and Why It Matters - City Journal - December 12th, 2019
- OSCE warns Albania not to block freedom of expression online - The San Diego Union-Tribune - December 12th, 2019
- Democracy in Iraq Depends on Press Freedom - Foreign Policy - December 12th, 2019
- National Security Podcast: Freedom of the press - Policy Forum - December 12th, 2019
- Interview: the Scottish Information Commissioner on freedom of information - Holyrood - December 12th, 2019
- How the U.S. was able to win Princeton University students freedom from Iran - NJ.com - December 12th, 2019
- Charlottes bad names, Matthew McConaughey, and Metro standing - Black And Red United - December 12th, 2019
- View: Women riding vehicles are busy wresting their freedom to be a person, forgetting their worst fears - Economic Times - December 12th, 2019
- Sea Ray and Freedom Boat Club win National Safety Awards - Yahoo Finance - December 2nd, 2019
- Freedom From Religion Group Speaking Out Against Kanye West Program in Jail - All On Georgia - December 2nd, 2019
- Australias proposed defamation law overhaul will expand media freedom but at what cost? - The Conversation - Australia - December 2nd, 2019
- Opinion/Editorial: Law preserving freedom of action should stay - The Daily Progress - December 2nd, 2019
- YouTube CEO on censoring content: Balance responsibility with freedom of speech - Yahoo Celebrity - December 2nd, 2019
- Sakharov Walk of Freedom: inauguration ceremony | News - EU News - December 2nd, 2019
- Book on US religious freedom starts with the Founders but forgets seeds of secularism - National Catholic Reporter - December 2nd, 2019
- Understanding the SCAs freedom of expression judgment - Daily Maverick - December 2nd, 2019
- Angela Merkel Says 'Freedom Of Expression Has Its Limits,' Must Be Regulated To Keep Society Free - The Daily Wire - December 2nd, 2019