Haasyam, Jayarajs penultimate work in the Navarasa series, part of IFFKs International Competition section
Award-winning filmmaker Jayaraj has been a genre hopper of sorts. From outright crowd-pleasers like Johnnie Walker and Thilakkam to the ambitious Navarasa series, the filmmaker has swung between extremes while being pilloried for his alleged affinity towards right wing politics. Attending the Kochi leg of the International Film Festival of Kerala (IFFK) where Haasyam, his penultimate work in the Navarasa series, was screened in the International Competition section, Jayaraj talks about his works and the present climate of fear hampering creative freedom.
Do you think filmmaking is being straitjacketed by the prevailing political climate?
There is a sense of fear that wasnt there in the past. One has to think before doing anything. The creative freedom is being restricted by cloaking it in religion, which is the biggest tragedy of the supposedly progressive times. I try to steer away from potentially controversial things, which in itself is a lack of creative freedom.
With the ambitious Navarasa series nearing completion with only one more film left to be made, is there a sense of emptiness? Which was the most challenging work?
That is something I ask myself. It is the same feeling as a sprinter who has breached the record and is left with nothing more to achieve. I will be content if I am able to finish that series. It has to be Karunam as it featured an aged couple in a restricted space. Apart from Karunam in the Navarasa series, Deshadanam was my other major experiment and and both were well received and successful financially as well.
I have been accused of different things at different times. I could be called the most rebellious Leftist for making a film like 4 the People while I am stamped a right winger to this day for making Paithrukam.
What are your plans for the next movie, Sringara, the last one in the Navarasa series?
I am still undecided as it has many shades. I even spoke with MT sir [M.T. Vasudevan Nair] on what constitutes the right interpretation of Sringara. I had a somewhat similar dilemma in the making of Haasyam (humour), which also has many shades before I decided on black humour.
I have just completed shooting the movie Niraye Thathakalulla Maram, which is an independent movie, and the edit is under way.
You have reached your limit for free articles this month.
Find mobile-friendly version of articles from the day's newspaper in one easy-to-read list.
Enjoy reading as many articles as you wish without any limitations.
A select list of articles that match your interests and tastes.
Move smoothly between articles as our pages load instantly.
A one-stop-shop for seeing the latest updates, and managing your preferences.
We brief you on the latest and most important developments, three times a day.
Support Quality Journalism.
*Our Digital Subscription plans do not currently include the e-paper, crossword and print.
Your support for our journalism is invaluable. Its a support for truth and fairness in journalism. It has helped us keep apace with events and happenings.
The Hindu has always stood for journalism that is in the public interest. At this difficult time, it becomes even more important that we have access to information that has a bearing on our health and well-being, our lives, and livelihoods. As a subscriber, you are not only a beneficiary of our work but also its enabler.
We also reiterate here the promise that our team of reporters, copy editors, fact-checkers, designers, and photographers will deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.
Continue reading here:
- Freedom: The History of an Idea - Foreign Policy Research Institute - June 19th, 2022
- Town Of Freedom Official Site - June 19th, 2022
- Pence skips Faith & Freedom conference. Is attacked by Trump anyways. - POLITICO - June 19th, 2022
- Juneteenth 2022: Freedom Songs on Apple Music - June 19th, 2022
- There's no freedom without reparations - The Connecticut Mirror - June 19th, 2022
- Freedom to Read Celebration, Supporting the Merritt Fund, and Featuring Banned Author David Levithan - ala.org - June 19th, 2022
- Is Technology in Photography Lowering the Bar or Increasing Freedom? - Fstoppers - June 19th, 2022
- Freedom From Fear: Anxiety and Depression Resource Organization - May 12th, 2022
- FREEDOM: Is it just another 'F' word now? - Millard County Chronicle Progress - May 12th, 2022
- Albuquerque Summerfest and Freedom 4th Headliners Announced - City of Albuquerque - May 12th, 2022
- The Freedom Foundation exists to tear down, not build up - Idaho EdNews - May 12th, 2022
- Russian Dissent Then and Now: 'For Your Freedom and Ours' - The Moscow Times - May 12th, 2022
- Freedom Historical Society to present 'Mount Washington Carriage Road and The Glen House' program - Conway Daily Sun - May 12th, 2022
- American Freedom Is Greater Than Slavery and Ends in Death - Tablet Magazine - May 12th, 2022
- The Press Freedom Index is Prepared With Bias and a Flawed Methodology - News18 - May 12th, 2022
- Guest column: GOP is out to limit voting and reproductive freedom - The Bulletin - May 12th, 2022
- Daly and Wallace lawsuit flagged for press freedom concerns - The Irish Times - May 12th, 2022
- Media polarisation risks press freedom and peace in conflict-hit Mali and Ethiopia - The Guardian - May 12th, 2022
- Afghanistan dispatch: 'The Taliban are the enemies of women's freedom' - JURIST - May 12th, 2022
- The Navy just launched a brand new ship it doesnt even want - Task & Purpose - May 12th, 2022
- Yoon stresses freedom, growth as he begins 5-year term - The Korea Herald - May 12th, 2022
- Opinion: More freedom or more death: A pandemic quandary we have yet to solve - The Globe and Mail - May 12th, 2022
- The freedom to divide: zoning and segregation in Connecticut - The Connecticut Mirror - April 28th, 2022
- Watch George Michael Freedom Uncut Trailer, Where the Late Singer Talks About the Pressures of Fame - Variety - April 28th, 2022
- In Our View: Religious freedom at core of Constitution - The Columbian - April 28th, 2022
- Black Girl Freedom Fund Invests Over $4 Million In 68 Organizations, Part Of #1Billion4BlackGirls Campaign - Forbes - April 28th, 2022
- Championing Consumer Freedom in Health Care | Opinion - Newsweek - April 28th, 2022
- Ed Buck and False 'Freedom' - The American Conservative - April 28th, 2022
- Thursday at 10: Preserving the past of the 'Freedom Mine' - WKOW - April 28th, 2022
- 10-rule manifesto by ai weiwei for empowerment and freedom of mind - Designboom - April 28th, 2022
- Texas Rangers Baseball Foundation accepting nominations for "Faces of Freedom" Military Program - MLB.com - April 28th, 2022
- Freedom of Expression - Caltech - April 28th, 2022
- "No Country Should Preach To Another": UK PM On 'Freedom In India' Debate - NDTV - April 28th, 2022
- Red zone 'freedom village' asked to leave twice by council - Stuff - April 28th, 2022
- Opinion | No, Vaccine Mandates Arent an Attack on Freedom - The New York Times - November 2nd, 2021
- Academic Freedom Alliance Letter on the University of Florida Situation - Reason - November 2nd, 2021
- Vaccination, Freedom and Responsibility - Coronavirus Coverage - State of the Planet - November 2nd, 2021
- Freedom football rules 2nd half to beat Liberty, claim city title - lehighvalleylive.com - November 2nd, 2021
- 'Economic freedom' rankings are contrived, meaningless nonsense - The Real News Network - November 2nd, 2021
- Central Valley Right to Life group claims vaccine protection law prohibits freedom of speech - Visalia Times-Delta and Tulare Advance-Register - November 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Community Projects Communicate The Message Of Freedom - Bitcoin Magazine - November 2nd, 2021
- Investigative Journalist Roohollah Zam Tops November Ranking Of The One Free Press Coalitions 10 Most Urgent Press Freedom Cases - Forbes - November 2nd, 2021
- Stalin inaugurates exhibition on freedom struggle - The Hindu - November 2nd, 2021
- G-20 Needs a Freedom and Prosperity Agenda More Than Ever - Heritage.org - November 2nd, 2021
- When Jane Johnson jeopardized her freedom for the people who aided her to escape from slavery - Face2Face Africa - November 2nd, 2021
- Letter: Responsibility of Freedom | Opinion | thepilot.com - Southern Pines Pilot - November 2nd, 2021
- Positive Vibes Only: Mayorkun Performs Liberating Track "Freedom" From His New Album 'Back In Office' - grammy.com - November 2nd, 2021
- Do vaccine mandates violate or support our freedom? Avoid anyone who thinks this question is easy - The Dallas Morning News - November 2nd, 2021
- Passing reveals pursuit of happiness, freedom and safety - District - November 2nd, 2021
- Freedom to Roam: The Rhythms Of Migration - Folk Radio UK - November 2nd, 2021
- Diversity Dialogues Raise Issues of Women's Rights, Sexual Identity and Individual Freedom - University of Arkansas Newswire - February 20th, 2021
- Capitol Talk: Antifa; 'Religious Freedom', And Limits On Local Control - MTPR - February 20th, 2021
- John Mayall: The blues have given me musical freedom - Olean Times Herald - February 20th, 2021
- Greta comes out in support of Disha, says freedom of speech and right to peaceful protest non-negotiable - The Tribune India - February 20th, 2021
- Mosaic Announces Long-Term Partnership with Freedom Forever - PRNewswire - February 20th, 2021
- Statutes of Liberty: Freedom of Information Act Requests are Free for Immigrants and U.S. Citizens - ARLnow - February 20th, 2021
- Woman who fought for racial equity as a Freedom Rider reflects on the past, gives outlook on the future - WLWT Cincinnati - February 20th, 2021
- Rescue horses move to Freedom to teach, provide therapy for people in need of rescue - Boothbay Register - February 20th, 2021
- Sudan: Forces of Freedom of Change refuses army appointments as governors - Middle East Monitor - February 20th, 2021
- Freedom Foods sees another CFO depart troubled Australian dairy business - just-food.com - February 20th, 2021
- Opinion | Give Fred Gray the Medal of Freedom, because no one deserves it more - alreporter.com - February 20th, 2021
- Biden Has No Time to Lose on Freedom of Navigation Operations Against China - Foreign Policy - February 20th, 2021
- The scars of solitary: Albert Woodfox on freedom after 44 years in a concrete cell - The Guardian - February 20th, 2021
- Washington Spirit owners, Freddy Adu, and more: Freedom Kicks - Black And Red United - February 20th, 2021
- Readers Write: Impeachment trial, freedom of speech, the cold weather - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 20th, 2021
- What the Trump administration meant for freedom of information requests - Columbia Journalism Review - February 20th, 2021
- Freedom and security: On social media platforms operating in India - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- 'You have to stay strong': 102-year-old freedom fighter's message to Disha Ravi - Hindustan Times - February 20th, 2021
- Freedom | Definition of Freedom at Dictionary.com - December 3rd, 2020
- Freedom - Wikipedia - December 3rd, 2020
- After 400 Years, The Reason People Come To America Is Still ... - December 3rd, 2020
- Medicare Advantage Plans for Florida at Freedom Health ... - December 3rd, 2020
- Freedom of Religion or Belief club formed at BYU - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - September 18th, 2020
- Freedom 76 At Grandview Will Be Live On FloRacing - FloRacing - September 18th, 2020
- Aviation Analysis: Revival of Fifth Freedom Flights? - Sam Chui - September 18th, 2020
- Trump Attacks The 1619 Project: U.S. Wasnt Founded On Slavery And Oppression, It Was Freedom - Moguldom - September 18th, 2020
- PAUL TIYAMBE ZELEZA - Beyond Political Freedom to Inclusive Wealth Creation and Self-Reliance - The Elephant - September 18th, 2020
- Backyard pool will bring joy and freedom to Niagara Falls boy - StCatharinesStandard.ca - September 18th, 2020
- Parson James Talks New Single, Lockdown, and Artistic Freedom - vmagazine.com - September 18th, 2020
- Private Railways Will Have Freedom To Set Their Own Fares: Government - NDTV - September 18th, 2020