RESIDENTS in Bicester are being urged to transform their gardens and community green spaces into friendly environments for wildlife to thrive.
An 18-month project in the town called Wild Bicester has been launched with the aim of bringing people and nature together creating a greener, healthier and wilder Bicester.
ALSO READ: Flood defence group calls for 'multi agency' response to flooding in Yarnton
The scheme is being delivered by Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire Wildlife Trust (BBOWT), Bicester Garden Town, Cherwell District Council, Healthy Bicester and Bicester Town Council.
It will encourage and enable people of all ages and backgrounds to get involved and turn their homes and green spaces into wildlife rich areas.
Some of the practical ways people can do this is by creating a bee hotel, growing a wildlife friendly vegetable garden, building a hedgehog home and learning how to attract butterflies to your garden.
BBOWT has provided step-by-step guidance on how residents can do this as well as other tasks to boost wildlife in the town, and will promote them through Wild Bicester.
The Trust says wilder neighbourhoods are an essential part of our health and wellbeing and that people who spend time in nature are happier and healthier.
Ed Munday, community wildlife officer at BBOWT said: Nature needs to be part of everybodys everyday lives and restoring nature can be the greatest generator of hope and happiness.
We know many people in Bicester are already passionate about how their local patch whether garden, street, or their community space - could be greener and wilder and there is already some fantastic conservation work being done in the town.
ALSO READ: Bicester railway line to close for construction of new bridge in Easter
The Wild Bicester project is a hugely exciting opportunity for more people of all ages and backgrounds to get closer to nature in their everyday lives and be inspired and moved by its beauty and wonder.
There is a role for everyone to play and together our local actions in Bicester can form part of the collective national and global effort for a better, wilder future with more nature everywhere.
BBOWT warns that the UK is one of the most nature depleted countries in the world and that it is losing more of its nature every day. It says new generations grow up more and more disconnected from the natural world around them, starved of the opportunity to enjoy the wonder of wildlife.
Wild Bicester will create a network of community groups to work on local green spaces and run a series of educational events, activities and resources to inspire and support people who want to take action.
The project plans to create opportunities in schools, parks, allotments, community centres and streets for people to get involved and take action for wildlife themselves and will also work strategically with local authorities to create more space for wildlife across Bicester.
Councillor Andrew McHugh, Cherwells lead member for health and wellbeing said: Bicester Garden Town is committed to protecting and enhancing the natural biodiversity of the area, while providing healthy, social neighbourhoods for people to live.
Wild Bicester will play an important part in both these areas, monitoring the towns eco-system whilst giving residents the chance to engage with the environment around them, offering an easy way to boost their physical and mental wellbeing.
It gives our residents the opportunity to regain a sense of wonder at the beauty and diversity of nature on their doorstep.
Bicester already has community groups such as Bicester Green Gym and Bicester Grassroots which are passionate about how the town could be greener and have been carrying out conservation work
Cherwell District Council last month said it would make a renewed effort to ensure developers who build in the district contribute to improving the natural environment.
Its executive committee approved the 2020-2022 Community Nature Plan and its approach to addressing the councils statutory biodiversity duty.
The plan sets out a vision to work with partners and projects to protect and enhance the regions natural environment and Wild Bicester is one of the ways it hopes to do this.
BBOWT says wild urban patches and green spaces in Bicester are crucial offering essential homes for wildlife, connecting wild places and bringing wildlife, and the benefits of a healthy natural world, into our lives.
Parks, allotments, school grounds and community spaces can all offer something for nature and, in doing so, can bring people together creating healthier and more socially connected communities.
The Trust believes that if people are given a helping hand, garden birds, bees, hedgehogs, foxes, frogs and insects can all thrive.
Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
For news updates straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.
Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01865 425 445.
View original post here:
- Atari: Results of the first half of 2020-2021 Paris Stock Exchange:ATA - GlobeNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- CME: The Benefits of More Automated FX Trade - finews.asia - February 17th, 2021
- RIOT GAMES, FREAKS 4U GAMING and SPORTFIVE partner up to produce and commercialize the 2021 VALORANT CHAMPIONS TOUR - European Gaming Industry News - February 17th, 2021
- A 'pop-up' airport for electric aircraft could transform the way we think about urban travel - CNBC - February 17th, 2021
- Neom's futuristic 'Line' in the sand is good news for Saudi Arabia's tech start-ups - Arab News - February 17th, 2021
- Biomass Utilization System Market Analysis 2021 to 2027 with Strategic Trends Growth, Revenue|KOBELCO ECO-SOLUTIONS, China Southern Power Grid,... - February 17th, 2021
- Why Investors Should Heed The African Tech Startups Devouring Consumer Finance - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- The New Zealand Merino Company Launches Apparel Industry's First 100% Regenerative Wool Platform in Partnership With Global Brands Allbirds,... - February 17th, 2021
- New #femaleboss project makes a stand for Scottish women in business - HeraldScotland - February 17th, 2021
- Plant safaris- the mystery and magic of the plant kingdom - Rising Sun Overport - February 17th, 2021
- A digital catch-22: after the crisis, who's betting on digital transformation? - USAPP American Politics and Policy (blog) - February 17th, 2021
- How Hotels And OTAs Can Prepare For The Post-Pandemic Future | By Andrew Gogus Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - February 17th, 2021
- La Liga side Athletic Bilbao hope to export their model globally including to India - The New Indian Express - February 17th, 2021
- Tackling Indonesias Poverty With Palm Oil - The ASEAN Post - February 17th, 2021
- Eos partners with US-based Kineticos to invest over 10M in early-stage Scottish life sciences startups - UKTN (UK Technology News - February 17th, 2021
- The deception of greenwashing in fast fashion - Down To Earth Magazine - February 17th, 2021
- Flying high: Naturalist charts transformation of Mar Lodge estate as wildlife haven reaches landmark in 200-year regeneration - The Sunday Post - February 17th, 2021
- Allbirds and Icebreaker back regenerative wool platform | Apparel Industry News | just-style - just-style.com - February 11th, 2021
- Let caterpillars nibble your leaves to create a healthier garden, advise the RHS - HouseBeautiful.com - February 11th, 2021
- Warning system, environment study may have prevented Uttarakhand tragedy - The Federal - February 11th, 2021
- 5G experimentation and security grows in govt, military sectors - Help Net Security - February 11th, 2021
- New Technology to Kill SARS Associated Human Coronavirus in the Air and on Surfaces - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Diversifying Nevada's Economy Might Take The Work Of Angels - KNPR - February 11th, 2021
- In the battle for the edge, 5G software is the Excalibur - Ericsson - February 11th, 2021
- Dow and Lucro to Launch PCR Plastics Solution in India - waste360 - February 11th, 2021
- Florida Family Finds Monster 16ft, 300lb Python On Their Property RM - TooFab - February 11th, 2021
- Document Security Systems, Inc., Coinstreet Partners and GSX Group Collaborate to Develop Digital Asset Exchange Business in the US - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- 5G and the digital cockpit Q&A with Harman - just-auto.com - February 11th, 2021
- Recent news in brief collected from around Mallorca - Euro Weekly News - February 11th, 2021
- COVID Has Reached Antarctica, and Scientists Are Extremely Concerned for Its Wildlife - EcoWatch - February 11th, 2021
- U.S. Subway Platforms Have Highly Polluted Air - EcoWatch - February 11th, 2021
- Urban Air Mobility Gets a Foot on the Ground with Coventry's Urban Air Port - Inside Unmanned Systems - February 11th, 2021
- Euronet Worldwide, Inc., Uses Its REN Ecosystem to Drive Digital Growth Strategy and Modernization of Payments Systems for Cosmos Bank in India -... - December 17th, 2020
- Learning Ecosystem: Why You Need One, How to Build It - ATD - December 17th, 2020
- VHA Innovation Ecosystem Taps MDClone to Leverage Synthetic Data for Faster Healthcare to Veterans - - HIT Consultant - December 17th, 2020
- FreedomPay and Sightline Payments Partner to Create World's First Cashless Ecosystem for Casinos, Resorts and Gaming Operators - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- If the startup ecosystem can survive a pandemic, it can survive anything - Ruchira Shukla and Alok Goyal - YourStory - December 17th, 2020
- Leverage the Westcon-Comstor Services Bench partner ecosystem - ARNnet - December 17th, 2020
- Cybersecurity Stocktaking in the Connected and Automated Mobility Ecosystem - Lexology - December 17th, 2020
- MDClone Partners with VHA Innovation Ecosystem to Provide Better, Smarter, Faster Healthcare to U.S. Veterans - Business Wire - December 17th, 2020
- Open Mainframe Project Welcomes New Project Tessia, HCL Technologies and Red Hat to its Ecosystem - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Path of destruction: Road to Anjaneri hilltop could threaten fragile rocky outcrop ecosystem - Mongabay-India - December 17th, 2020
- Gotransverse Closes 2020 with Globalization, Business Intelligence, Ecosystem, and Personalization Features for Innovative Monetization Models -... - December 17th, 2020
- Accelerated digitalization, beefed-up edge among other key trends to watch across digital ecosystem in 2021 - Business Review - December 17th, 2020
- IBM outlines commitment to developing the Quantum ecosystem in India More than 1,400 students trained on Qis.. - ETCIO.com - December 17th, 2020
- CrossTower Added as Liquidity Source to the Blockfills ECN Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- code Talks: a podcast series on driving innovation with an open health care ecosystem - cerner.com - December 17th, 2020
- Building a Cost-Effective, High-Performing BI Ecosystem on the Cloud - Datanami - December 17th, 2020
- GPX India adds NIXI to the GPX Interconnection Ecosystem - Express Computer - December 17th, 2020
- Ecologists have studied the role carrion plays in the ecosystem of the Bavarian Forest National Park - India Education Diary - December 17th, 2020
- ICON blockchain expands DeFi ecosystem with ETH Orbit Bridge integration - CryptoNinjas - December 17th, 2020
- There's an ecosystem beneath your feetand it needs protection, new report says - Science Magazine - December 5th, 2020
- Apple M1 is the boost the Windows ecosystem needed: Qualcomm - ZDNet - December 5th, 2020
- An overview of key players in the private network ecosystem - RCR Wireless News - December 5th, 2020
- Polkadot Joins Hands with Chainlink to Overcome Decentralized Nature of Its... - Coinspeaker - December 5th, 2020
- Programme launched to strengthen tech ecosystem in Western Cape - - Ventureburn - December 5th, 2020
- Update on Intel's Neuromorphic Ecosystem Growth and Progress - Business Wire - December 5th, 2020
- Students are drawn into the ecosystem through real impact and relevant goals - not with Brainport-lingo - Innovation Origins - December 5th, 2020
- The Greater Data Ecosystem: Driving Decision-Making | Data & Data Analytics - Supply Chain Digital - The Procurement & Supply Chain Platform - December 5th, 2020
- How KubeLinter fits in the CNCF Ecosystem - Security Boulevard - December 5th, 2020
- Report finds the CSS ecosystem is going through a renewal with new features - SDTimes.com - December 5th, 2020
- The infrastructure of Kick Ecosystem - hackernoon.com - September 25th, 2020
- Humans Destroyed Intact Ecosystem Land the Size of Mexico in Just 13 Years - EcoWatch - September 25th, 2020
- This is the size of undisturbed ecosystems lost in 13 years - World Economic Forum - September 25th, 2020
- maurices Partners with TCS to Build Greenfield IT Ecosystem for its Growth and Transformation - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- Helping the UN Guide Ecosystem Restoration Into the Mainstream - CSRwire.com - September 25th, 2020
- Don't eat the rainforests: Top brands complicit in Indonesia's ecosystem destruction, probe alleges - Down To Earth Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- Colombia: Cross Border Tech Innovation and Ecosystem building - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- The DNS Ecosystem, Its Vulnerabilities, and Threat Mitigations - CircleID - September 25th, 2020
- Scaling Up The Start-up Ecosystem Recommendations Of Standing Committee On Finance - Finance and Banking - India - Mondaq News Alerts - September 25th, 2020
- VR AR Content Creation Ecosystem Market will Register a Significant CAGR During Period 2020-2026 | 18.5% CAGR| Know the Companies List Could... - September 25th, 2020
- Why the new farm Bills should excite the advertising ecosystem - Business Standard - September 25th, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - AiThority - September 4th, 2020
- Why Harmless Harvest takes an ecosystem-based approach to business - New Hope Network - September 4th, 2020
- An 'Ecosystem' Has Propelled NYC Life Sciences Over The Past 5 Years - Bisnow - September 4th, 2020
- BorgWarner expands collaboration with startup ecosystem Plug and Play - Automotive World - September 4th, 2020
- 'Drilling Would Have Devastating Impacts on This Fragile Ecosystem' - FAIR - September 4th, 2020
- Jellypipe launches its online AM ecosystem in the UK and Ireland - Metal Additive Manufacturing magazine - September 4th, 2020
- A Burgeoning Robotic Ecosystem Is Reshaping the Business Landscape - IoT World Today - September 4th, 2020
- New approach needed to protect health of Californias rivers - CALmatters - September 4th, 2020