On October 7, seven talented edtech entrepreneurs will take center stage at the final event of the 2019 Milken-Penn GSE Education Business Plan Competition (EBPC). Each finalist hopes to impress the expert judges with a winning pitch as they vie for a share of more than $120,000 in cash and prizes. Its been a long journey for these seven entrepreneurs, who entered the competitionalong with hundreds of otherslast February.
Hosted by the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education (PennGSE) and sponsored by the Milken Family Foundation, this esteemed business plan competition is now in its tenth year. To learn a bit about the competitions history and how it has benefitted entrepreneurs over the past decade, we sat down with Michael Golden, executive director of Catalyst, a center for global education innovation and entrepreneurship at PennGSE, and host of the EBPC.
EdSurge: How did Penn GSE first get involved in this competition?
Michael Golden: At PennGSE, we have a long history of inspiring and cultivating innovation at all levels of education, from K-12 through adult learning. A decade ago, as we saw innovators and entrepreneurs applying new technology across business sectors, we wanted to inspire them to focus on solving the many challenges we face at all levels of education. So, the EPBC was launchedthe first such competition to focus solely on the education sector.
Over ten years, the competition has awarded more than $1.2 million in cash prizes. Winners and finalists have gone on to secure more than $140 million in funding. And while were proud of the lucrative prizes we offer our finalists, the EBPCs reach extends beyond monetary concerns.
As the 2014 competition finalist Shiv Gaglani, cofounder of Osmosis, recently shared, The impact Milken-Penn had on our business was significant. The contacts we made were formative. The win also put us on the map. We received a lot of inbound interest from investors, and our customers, both direct users and institutions, felt validated in choosing us when we were recognized by Penn GSE for our work.
Whats the biggest lesson you have learned from hosting the competition?
Building a business is hard. Building a business that can actually improve learning is much, much harder. As we enter our second decade, the business plan competition is transforming into a runway for entrepreneurs with a focus on providing early support.
Of course, businesses dont make transformative changes alone; research matters. Because we are housed at Penn GSE, Catalyst regularly works with some of the leading experts in education research. We want entrepreneurs to be able to leverage that expertise.This year, we started offering semifinalists and finalists access to a series of Catalyst bootcamps and webinars that gave entrepreneurs a foundation in fundamentals, such as sales, marketing, fundraising and legal issues. Weve already seen how semifinalists put these skills into practice for the finals and improved their ventures in the process. Our next bootcamp series will begin in October, soon after this years finals.
Buyers and investors are savvy. They need to see proof of an ideas potential impact. We can help entrepreneurs understand how to evaluate their products and demonstrate their effectiveness.
Because we have been around for a decade, we have a vibrant ecosystem of entrepreneurs, researchers, investors and subject matter experts ready to partner with new companies. We can meet the leaders of new ventures at any stage and help move them forward. Ultimately, we hope to reduce the time it takes for a new breakthrough idea to get wide distribution, which will make a meaningful difference in the lives of more educators and learners.
Todays marketplace for education and edtech companies is quite different than it was in 2010. Do we still need this type of competition?
Absolutely. The opportunity for innovation across education at all levelsfrom pre-K through adult learninghas never been greater. Todays technology allows us to do things we could only dream of in 2010. Mobile internet access in homes has mushroomed from 9 percent in 2010 to 92 percent in 2017. Software and data now live in the cloud. And AI is making personalized learning a reality at scale.
If you look through the hundreds of entry submissions we get each year, youd see the wide range of business ideas sprouting in teachers classrooms and researchers labs. But the gap between an idea and an operational product in use across the country is huge. Weve intentionally geared the competition, and our ecosystem, to help smart, dedicated people across that gap.
You can see the potential in this years finalists. One is an enterprise that applies AI to support college students through their academic journey. Another allows the creation of personalized, adaptive tests to improve and track learning. Others enable teachers to turn mobile devices into science equipment and students into practicing scientists.
So, who will prevail on October 7?
Ultimately, the education ecosystem wins on October 7. As to who walks away with cash prizes, thats up to the judgesyoull need to join us at the finals to find out.
See the original post here:
- [2020 Outlook] Indian startup ecosystem raring to break new ground in the new year - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- [2020 Outlook] What investors expect for the Indian startup ecosystem in the year ahead - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- Chuck Todd Finds All the Disinformation In 'Ecosystem Problem' on the Right - NewsBusters - January 2nd, 2020
- THE CONNECTIVITY B2B ECOSYSTEM: How 5G and next-gen networks are transforming the role telecoms play in enterp - Business Insider India - January 2nd, 2020
- Looking back at the Indian startup ecosystem in 2019 - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- 2019 In Review: Key Milestones That Indian Startup Ecosystem Achieved This Year - Inc42 Media - January 2nd, 2020
- Vivo, OPPO and Xiaomi Partner to Bring New Wireless File Transfer System to Global Consumers - PRNewswire - January 2nd, 2020
- Bringing start-ups and corporates together to foster maritime innovation - Riviera Maritime Media - January 2nd, 2020
- Regional disparities in the Indian innovation ecosystem - Forbes India - January 2nd, 2020
- Fixing the rot in Indias financial ecosystem - The New Indian Express - January 2nd, 2020
- The inside story of the AppStore, Salesforces Marc Benioff, and a gifted URL to Steve Jobs - 9to5Mac - January 2nd, 2020
- 2019 In Review: The Best Of Inc42 - Inc42 Media - January 2nd, 2020
- For 2020, Cross River Bank Says It Will Increase Collaboration to Grow New Jersey's Fintech Ecosystem - njtechweekly.com - January 2nd, 2020
- As healthcare moves to the home, CISOs can't be 'Dr. No' - MobiHealthNews - January 2nd, 2020
- The story of why Marc Benioff gifted the AppStore.com domain to Steve Jobs - TechCrunch - January 2nd, 2020
- NBCs Ben Collins to Chris Hayes: Trump Retweets Shady Accounts Because He Listens to Alternate Ecosystem Where Hes God Emperor - Mediaite - January 2nd, 2020
- The moon and Earths ecosystem - OrissaPOST - January 2nd, 2020
- Frontline Systems Launches Analytic Solver V2020: Tool for Analytics-Powered Decision Models in the Microsoft Ecosystem - PR Web - January 2nd, 2020
- Time to stop playing with acronyms and create vibrant eco system in North East - Economic Times - December 21st, 2019
- What You Can Do to Build an Innovative Ecosystem - CMSWire - December 21st, 2019
- TrueFort Expands Fortified Ecosystem with Infoblox and Others - Business Wire - December 21st, 2019
- Driving up the value of AI starts with building an ecosystem - CIO Dive - December 21st, 2019
- OKEx Research: Ecosystem, and Innovative Products - newsBTC - December 21st, 2019
- The Unter-class is the Whole Ecosystem - Fairplanet - December 21st, 2019
- Paige Raises $45M to Expand AI-Native Digital Pathology Ecosystem to Accelerate Biomarker Discovery - HIT Consultant - December 21st, 2019
- Dotscience Gains Momentum in the MLOps Ecosystem and Accelerates Deployment of Machine Learning Models into Production with New Technology... - December 21st, 2019
- Rakshit Shetty talks about 'Avane Srimannarayana' and the eco-system that enables his work - The Hindu - December 21st, 2019
- Are Apple Macs worth the money? - scallywagandvagabond - December 21st, 2019
- Silicon Labs and Z-Wave Alliance Expand Smart Home Ecosystem by Opening Z-Wave to Silicon and Stack Suppliers - PRNewswire - December 21st, 2019
- Transforming the insurance sector to an Open API Ecosystem - Finextra - December 21st, 2019
- Apple Issues New Blow To Google With This Bold Security Move - Forbes - December 21st, 2019
- Why the $52K Mac Pro is important for everyone who cares about the survival of the Mac ecosystem - ZDNet - December 21st, 2019
- The Top 3 Fintech Stocks to Buy in 2020 - Motley Fool - December 21st, 2019
- GW addresses report recommendations to improve research - GW Hatchet - December 21st, 2019
- Hyundai teases flying car concept ahead of CES - Autoblog - December 21st, 2019
- N.S. won't protect land with 'globally rare' ecosystem that company eyes for golf resort - CBC.ca - December 21st, 2019
- OPPO announces three initiatives to co-build new intelligent service ecosystem with developers & partners - United News of India - December 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem | Definition of Ecosystem by Merriam-Webster - November 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2019
- Has Arm Discovered the Ecosystem Keys? - The Next Platform - November 21st, 2019
- Integrating Global Seagrass and Mangrove Ecosystem Observations - Eos - November 21st, 2019
- The collapse of the information ecosystem poses profound risks for humanity - The Guardian - November 21st, 2019
- Dreamforce 2019: Salesforce Outlines Initiatives To Ignite Ecosystem Growth - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 21st, 2019
- Ten Predictions On The Future Of Work, VC And The Tech Ecosystem For 2020 And Beyond - Forbes - November 21st, 2019
- Galt Earth Day: Lucero Farms partners with the ecosystem - The Galt Herald - November 21st, 2019
- Why Your Organization Needs an Innovation Ecosystem - Harvard Business Review - November 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem Kickstarter is a cardboard structure that fights soil erosion - Dezeen - November 21st, 2019
- Sapiens Expands Its Partnership Ecosystem With Lightico to Enhance Digital Customer Interactions for the Insurance Market - MarTech Series - November 21st, 2019
- How human and animal excrement harm the planet's ecosystem - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - November 21st, 2019
- Working in Partnership to Power the News Ecosystem - Reuters - November 21st, 2019
- Mellanox, JVP To Develop Haifa's Tech And Innovation Ecosystem With $14M Investment | Technology News - NoCamels - Israeli Innovation News - November 21st, 2019
- Oracle's Aubrey Hawes on Open Banking and ecosystem building - Tearsheet - November 21st, 2019
- Vermont Futures Project recommends strengthening the innovation ecosystem - Vermont Biz - October 24th, 2019
- Android 9 was installed on less than a quarter of the ecosystem as Android 10 launched - The Verge - October 24th, 2019
- Leave those fall leaves for a nicer lawn and a healthier ecosystem - Greater Greater Washington - October 24th, 2019
- Innovation and safety: creating a safer road transport ecosystem - Intelligent Transport - October 24th, 2019
- Inmar Expands Innovator Ecosystem with Acquisition of Digitus Solutions - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Plasan Introduces the StreetDrone Open Autonomy Platform to Israel - Army Technology - October 24th, 2019
- Investing In The Nonprofit Ecosystem - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- 35 New Integration Partners Join Thriving Clio App Ecosystem - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Trump Wants Loggers to Tear Through This Pristine Forest. If It Happens, the Ecosystem Will Be in Chaos. - Mother Jones - October 24th, 2019
- Treating the IT Ecosystem as an Actual Ecosystem - MarketScale Industries - October 24th, 2019
- Identity and Access Management for Healthcare getting it right to support clinical workflows Part Two - HealthLeaders Media - October 24th, 2019
- Understanding Startup Investment Dynamics Within The Logistics Ecosystem - Benzinga - October 24th, 2019
- Understanding the Decentralized Finance Ecosystem: Part 2 Top DeFi Projects - Bitcoin & Crypto Guide - Altcoin Buzz - October 24th, 2019
- Indian startups have raised a record $11.3B this year - TechCrunch - October 24th, 2019
- Global Access Control Ecosystem, 2019 | 5 Year Forecasts of Unit Sales & Revenues for Smart Door Locks, Video Doorbells, and Smart Garage Door... - October 24th, 2019
- Restoration Agriculture: A New Approach to Growing Food - WCAI - October 24th, 2019
- Yurok Tribes Connection to Klamath River Weakens as Ecosystem Declines - The LumberJack - October 24th, 2019
- For the love of learning: Moglix boss is a fan of NYC's startup ecosystem, LA's diversity - Economic Times - October 24th, 2019
- The Value Of Pollinators To The Ecosystem And Our Economy - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- Stanford trustees hear annual report from president, discuss the university's research ecosystem, sustainability solutions - Stanford University News - October 16th, 2019
- Op-ed | The space industry: A closer look at the new ecosystem - SpaceNews - October 16th, 2019
- Merged Mining in Bitcoin: Contributing to Sustainability on the Bitcoin ecosystem - Equities.com - October 16th, 2019
- China has built 'massive global data-collection ecosystem' to boost its interests - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- SoftAtHome Welcomes Aerial Technologies to Software Ecosystem to Accelerate Innovation in the Digital Home - Multichannel News - October 16th, 2019
- Biopharma Leaders to Discuss and Share Insights on the Regional Biopharma Ecosystem at LeadingBiotech's NY/NJ CEO Conference - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2019
- Huawei, HKT, and GSA Jointly Release the Indoor 5G Scenario Oriented White Paper at 2019 MBBF - GlobeNewswire - October 16th, 2019
- Ecosystem creation vital ahead of 5G Orange SVP - Mobile World Live - October 16th, 2019
- Zoomtopia 2019 Showcases Expanded Unified Communications Platform and Ecosystem, and New Technologies to Empower Communications - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2019