What are YOUR tech, VC and future of work predictions for the year ahead?
Its that time of year. Not just for holiday shopping, expensive, crowded flights, and hopefully the creation of happy memories surrounded by loved ones. Its also that time when futurists ranging from academics and journalists to VCs like me get asked to contemplate all the ways in which budding trends will accelerate to a point that they begin to change the way we live, work and play. As an investor who focuses largely on the future of work, I spend a lot of time assessing how technological advances and economic and social change coalesce to impact the workforces of today and decades to come. So, here are my predictions for the year and decade about to begin.
Prediction 1: Direct listings will become the norm, not the exception. However, this is such a major change that it wont happen overnight. In 2019 we saw Pinterest and Slack both successfully direct list. In 2020 not only will more consumer brands direct list, but so will additional enterprise companies inspired by Slacks example. Slowly but surely over the next few years direct listings will emerge as the new best practice to capture value for founders, employees and investors. Wall Street will find new ways to extract value from this changing tide.
Prediction 2: Silicon Valley will fall a bit further from its perch at the pinnacle of tech innovation. Im not a Silicon Valley doomsayer. I believe that the nucleus of the worlds most mature tech ecosystem will continue to cultivate and nurture numerous innovative, game-changing startups to come. But I also believe that talent exists everywhere, and increasingly so does opportunity, so smaller tech hubs are giving Silicon Valley the fiercest competition of its existence. Outside of the US, Im excited about the continued growth of Indias vibrant tech ecosystem. Within the US, Im particularly bullish about the Pacific Northwest, which I believe will continue to gain ground on its larger, southern cousin as the third generation of spinoffs from Amazon and Microsoft and then newly minted unicorns like Auth0 and Outreach create a new tidal storm of B2B innovation.
Prediction 3: A significantly greater share of the professional workforce will shift from full-time to gig employees. Companies are always seeking to reduce costs and liabilities, but during a recession these efforts reach a fever pitch. Today many people think of Uber and Lyft drivers, Instacart and Postmates delivery workers and hair stylists when they think of gig employees, but the reality is that the gig economy is already far more wide-reaching. According to Deloitte, more than 40% of workers are currently employed in alternative work arrangements, such as gig and contract work. Over the next decade, that number will increase dramatically.
Prediction 4: The workforce will become dramatically more geographically distributed. Most experts agree that a recession is coming. The question isnt really about whether itll happen but when. When it does arrive, the recession will accelerate a number of trends already unrolling, the first of which is the rapid distribution of the enterprise workforce. Today geographically distributed teams are the exception. Within the next few years, theyll become the norm. Expect companies with 1 or 2 main offices to split into 4 or 5 smaller ones, and I expect a greater share of employees to work remotely several days a week or even permanently.
Prediction 5: The talent wars will remain fierce-- even during the recession. Even in a weak economy, businesses must hire and retain exceptional talent. This isnt to say that compensation and benefits will hold steady--they wont, but sought-after skills will remain in high-demand. To retain and develop employees while keeping their costs in check, enterprises will look to talent management tools that are both efficient and scalable. Expect to see more AI-based tools and fewer high-priced, in-person consultants.
Prediction 6: Any high-growth, low-margin company will face public scrutiny. In fact, we dont have to wait for 2020 for this to occur. The market pendulum is swinging away from growth at all costs towards efficiency and profitability-- especially among consumer goods firms where many of the unit economics are currently upside down. As my colleague Patricia Nakache told the New York Times, A lot of these highly valued companies have run into the buzz saw of Wall Streetreminding us that profitability matters.
Prediction 7: New KPIs will emerge as each companys north star. As SaaS becomes more ubiquitous and touches every industry vertical, net revenue retention, sales and marketing efficiency (for enterprise) and unit economics (for consumer) will become the north star metrics towards which all management teams and boards will manage and optimize.
Prediction 8: The next generation of VCs will finally assume the service role theyre paid to do. Venture capital still flows like water for especially talented entrepreneurs and promising startups. While for years VCs could rest on their wallets, the new guard of investors--the more service-oriented, extension-of-your-team sort--will overtake the old guard due to their willingness to serve their environment rather than assuming that everyone will adapt to them simply because they always have. As part of this transformation, the brands of VC firms will increasingly take a backseat to the brands of the individual partners who will come to be known among entrepreneurs not just for their savvy bets, but, equally importantly, for their service and value-add to entrepreneurs. The VCs who win will have the people skills to authentically connect with and win over founders, the go-to-market skills to help founding teams scale their businesses, and the work ethic to be known as a partner who doesnt just pick winners, but actually helps nurture and grow them.
Prediction 9: The fight to own the developer heart, mind and wallet will continue unabated. More than a decade ago, Steve Ballmer famously brought his developer-centric business strategy into the Internet mainstream with his classic, albeit cringe-worthy, developers, developers, developers chant. In proof that sometimes the best strategies have the most staying power, his mantra is still true today, even if the technologies the developers are building upon have long since evolved. In 2020, well see even more companies fight for the hearts and minds of developers--not just the major platform plays like Microsoft, Google, Apple, Oracle and Salesforce, but also a newer generation of tech giants like Zoom and Slack hoping to bring much-needed agility into the workplace. Developers should expect a lot of appreciation--and even more free t-shirts--to come their way.
Prediction 10: Software will continue to eat every vertical at a faster pace than ever before. It has been almost a decade since Marc Andreessen famously wrote in the Wall Street Journal that software is eating the world. His prediction proved to be sage because its just as true today as its ever been and will remain so in the decade to come. Even non-technology companies like WeWork pitched themselves as software companies in order to increase their value. Over the next decade, well see software devour the few remaining legacy verticals that have managed thus far to avoid digital transformation.
What do you think? What are YOUR tech, VC and future of work predictions for the year ahead? Share them with me on Twitter @kmehandru #FOWpredictions2020.
Read more here:
- BitCherry To Build a Trusted Distributed Business Ecosystem - Coinspeaker - February 6th, 2020
- Building a Worker Co-op Ecosystem: Lessons from the Big Apple - Nonprofit Quarterly - February 6th, 2020
- Letters: Healthcare industry needs its own digital ecosystem - ModernHealthcare.com - February 6th, 2020
- The new financial ecosystem of big banks and big tech - ValueWalk - February 6th, 2020
- To protect ecosystem, improve balance on critical regulatory panel - theday.com - February 6th, 2020
- How to fall in love with the Apple ecosystem all over again -- spend more money and buy new stuff - ZDNet - February 6th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence requires trusted data, and a healthy DataOps ecosystem - ZDNet - February 6th, 2020
- Preserve the Sacred Lands of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem - CounterPunch - February 6th, 2020
- Organizations only protect 60% of their business ecosystem, Accenture finds - CIO Dive - February 6th, 2020
- IBM: building a digital ecosystem to support the mine of the future - Mining Global - Mining News, Magazine and Website - February 6th, 2020
- Structo Partners with Pro3dure to Extend applications in the Velox ecosystem - Manufactur3D - February 6th, 2020
- Epic and about 60 hospital chains come out against rules that would make it easier to share medical info - CNBC - February 6th, 2020
- [2020 Outlook] Indian startup ecosystem raring to break new ground in the new year - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- [2020 Outlook] What investors expect for the Indian startup ecosystem in the year ahead - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- Chuck Todd Finds All the Disinformation In 'Ecosystem Problem' on the Right - NewsBusters - January 2nd, 2020
- THE CONNECTIVITY B2B ECOSYSTEM: How 5G and next-gen networks are transforming the role telecoms play in enterp - Business Insider India - January 2nd, 2020
- Looking back at the Indian startup ecosystem in 2019 - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- 2019 In Review: Key Milestones That Indian Startup Ecosystem Achieved This Year - Inc42 Media - January 2nd, 2020
- Vivo, OPPO and Xiaomi Partner to Bring New Wireless File Transfer System to Global Consumers - PRNewswire - January 2nd, 2020
- Bringing start-ups and corporates together to foster maritime innovation - Riviera Maritime Media - January 2nd, 2020
- Regional disparities in the Indian innovation ecosystem - Forbes India - January 2nd, 2020
- Fixing the rot in Indias financial ecosystem - The New Indian Express - January 2nd, 2020
- The inside story of the AppStore, Salesforces Marc Benioff, and a gifted URL to Steve Jobs - 9to5Mac - January 2nd, 2020
- 2019 In Review: The Best Of Inc42 - Inc42 Media - January 2nd, 2020
- For 2020, Cross River Bank Says It Will Increase Collaboration to Grow New Jersey's Fintech Ecosystem - njtechweekly.com - January 2nd, 2020
- As healthcare moves to the home, CISOs can't be 'Dr. No' - MobiHealthNews - January 2nd, 2020
- The story of why Marc Benioff gifted the AppStore.com domain to Steve Jobs - TechCrunch - January 2nd, 2020
- NBCs Ben Collins to Chris Hayes: Trump Retweets Shady Accounts Because He Listens to Alternate Ecosystem Where Hes God Emperor - Mediaite - January 2nd, 2020
- The moon and Earths ecosystem - OrissaPOST - January 2nd, 2020
- Frontline Systems Launches Analytic Solver V2020: Tool for Analytics-Powered Decision Models in the Microsoft Ecosystem - PR Web - January 2nd, 2020
- Time to stop playing with acronyms and create vibrant eco system in North East - Economic Times - December 21st, 2019
- What You Can Do to Build an Innovative Ecosystem - CMSWire - December 21st, 2019
- TrueFort Expands Fortified Ecosystem with Infoblox and Others - Business Wire - December 21st, 2019
- Driving up the value of AI starts with building an ecosystem - CIO Dive - December 21st, 2019
- OKEx Research: Ecosystem, and Innovative Products - newsBTC - December 21st, 2019
- The Unter-class is the Whole Ecosystem - Fairplanet - December 21st, 2019
- Paige Raises $45M to Expand AI-Native Digital Pathology Ecosystem to Accelerate Biomarker Discovery - HIT Consultant - December 21st, 2019
- Dotscience Gains Momentum in the MLOps Ecosystem and Accelerates Deployment of Machine Learning Models into Production with New Technology... - December 21st, 2019
- Rakshit Shetty talks about 'Avane Srimannarayana' and the eco-system that enables his work - The Hindu - December 21st, 2019
- Are Apple Macs worth the money? - scallywagandvagabond - December 21st, 2019
- Silicon Labs and Z-Wave Alliance Expand Smart Home Ecosystem by Opening Z-Wave to Silicon and Stack Suppliers - PRNewswire - December 21st, 2019
- Transforming the insurance sector to an Open API Ecosystem - Finextra - December 21st, 2019
- Apple Issues New Blow To Google With This Bold Security Move - Forbes - December 21st, 2019
- Why the $52K Mac Pro is important for everyone who cares about the survival of the Mac ecosystem - ZDNet - December 21st, 2019
- The Top 3 Fintech Stocks to Buy in 2020 - Motley Fool - December 21st, 2019
- GW addresses report recommendations to improve research - GW Hatchet - December 21st, 2019
- Hyundai teases flying car concept ahead of CES - Autoblog - December 21st, 2019
- N.S. won't protect land with 'globally rare' ecosystem that company eyes for golf resort - CBC.ca - December 21st, 2019
- OPPO announces three initiatives to co-build new intelligent service ecosystem with developers & partners - United News of India - December 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem | Definition of Ecosystem by Merriam-Webster - November 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2019
- Has Arm Discovered the Ecosystem Keys? - The Next Platform - November 21st, 2019
- Integrating Global Seagrass and Mangrove Ecosystem Observations - Eos - November 21st, 2019
- The collapse of the information ecosystem poses profound risks for humanity - The Guardian - November 21st, 2019
- Dreamforce 2019: Salesforce Outlines Initiatives To Ignite Ecosystem Growth - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 21st, 2019
- Galt Earth Day: Lucero Farms partners with the ecosystem - The Galt Herald - November 21st, 2019
- Why Your Organization Needs an Innovation Ecosystem - Harvard Business Review - November 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem Kickstarter is a cardboard structure that fights soil erosion - Dezeen - November 21st, 2019
- Sapiens Expands Its Partnership Ecosystem With Lightico to Enhance Digital Customer Interactions for the Insurance Market - MarTech Series - November 21st, 2019
- How human and animal excrement harm the planet's ecosystem - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - November 21st, 2019
- Working in Partnership to Power the News Ecosystem - Reuters - November 21st, 2019
- Mellanox, JVP To Develop Haifa's Tech And Innovation Ecosystem With $14M Investment | Technology News - NoCamels - Israeli Innovation News - November 21st, 2019
- Oracle's Aubrey Hawes on Open Banking and ecosystem building - Tearsheet - November 21st, 2019
- Vermont Futures Project recommends strengthening the innovation ecosystem - Vermont Biz - October 24th, 2019
- Android 9 was installed on less than a quarter of the ecosystem as Android 10 launched - The Verge - October 24th, 2019
- Leave those fall leaves for a nicer lawn and a healthier ecosystem - Greater Greater Washington - October 24th, 2019
- Innovation and safety: creating a safer road transport ecosystem - Intelligent Transport - October 24th, 2019
- Inmar Expands Innovator Ecosystem with Acquisition of Digitus Solutions - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Plasan Introduces the StreetDrone Open Autonomy Platform to Israel - Army Technology - October 24th, 2019
- Investing In The Nonprofit Ecosystem - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- 35 New Integration Partners Join Thriving Clio App Ecosystem - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Trump Wants Loggers to Tear Through This Pristine Forest. If It Happens, the Ecosystem Will Be in Chaos. - Mother Jones - October 24th, 2019
- Treating the IT Ecosystem as an Actual Ecosystem - MarketScale Industries - October 24th, 2019
- Identity and Access Management for Healthcare getting it right to support clinical workflows Part Two - HealthLeaders Media - October 24th, 2019
- Understanding Startup Investment Dynamics Within The Logistics Ecosystem - Benzinga - October 24th, 2019
- Understanding the Decentralized Finance Ecosystem: Part 2 Top DeFi Projects - Bitcoin & Crypto Guide - Altcoin Buzz - October 24th, 2019
- Indian startups have raised a record $11.3B this year - TechCrunch - October 24th, 2019
- Global Access Control Ecosystem, 2019 | 5 Year Forecasts of Unit Sales & Revenues for Smart Door Locks, Video Doorbells, and Smart Garage Door... - October 24th, 2019
- Restoration Agriculture: A New Approach to Growing Food - WCAI - October 24th, 2019
- Yurok Tribes Connection to Klamath River Weakens as Ecosystem Declines - The LumberJack - October 24th, 2019