Despite consecutive years of extreme precipitation over short periods in the Nilgiri Biosphere, hardly any step has been taken to address ecological security
Thousands of trees lay dead and strewn around the western parts of the Nilgiri Plateau in southern India. Deep gashes scar ancient mountains, standing a stark contrast to the lush green vegetation that they otherwise support.
As conservationists and activists are fighting to protect forests and wilderness areas from being deforested, mined and diverted to developmental projects, there is another level of destruction happening to our last remaining wild spaces. Climate change is causing widespread collapse of ecosystems.
Carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere hit a record-breaking 417 parts per million (ppm) in May 2020, highest inthreemillion years. Along with global warming caused sea level rise and the melting of polar ice caps and glaciers, the steep increase in greenhouse gas concentrations has led to a surge in the frequency of extreme climate events.
A region where climate change caused weather extremities are exceedingly apparent are the coastal plains and Western Ghats of southern India. In the last four years, this region has been affected by eight tropical cyclones and consecutive extreme rainfall events during the southwest monsoon periods of the last two years. These bouts of intense storms have been interspersed with periods of severe droughts, heatwaves, deficient and failed monsoons.
On August 8, 2019, the Avalanche and Emerald valley regions, which are part of the Kundha watershed, received an unprecedented 900 millimetre (mm) rainfall within 24 hours. It broke the record for the highest rainfall in Tamil Nadu, by nearly twice the amount. Over four days, the region experienced close to 2,500 mm rainfall.
To put this in perspective, Coimbatore, the nearest city in the plains of Tamil Nadu, receives 600 mm of rain annually. The Kundha watershed bore a deluge that was four times the annual rainfall amount, over just four days. The upper watershed of the Kundha river is a complex of several peaks above 2,400 m and broad deep valleys.
The river, which is a primary tributary to the Bhavani that feeds into the Cauvery, is fed by numerous streams and rivulets at the headwater sections. With the barraging downpour, nearly every stream and rivulet burst its course. Vast tracts of precious soil and shola ecology slipped away on either side of the watercourses.
Gone are the rich black soil layers topped with spongy humus that line the streams; washed away are the dark moss and wild balsam covered rocks that shaped the flow of every stream; lost are the thousands of shola trees, dwarf bamboo and forest kurinji (shrubs of blue flowers which covered the hills) that guarded the streams, saplings, ferns and orchids of the forest floor.
In place of these are deep cuts of gauged out Earth, revealing the underlying lateritic soil and rocks.
(Left) An Aerides ringens orchid growing on a shola tree; (Right)Neela-Kurinjior Strobilanthes kunthiana flowering in the grassland habitats of the Nilgiris. This spectacle takes place only once in 12 years.Photo: Godwin Vasanth Bosco
Shola-grassland mosaic in danger
The cloud forest ecology, known as sholas, grows along the folds and valleys of these mountains. They are old-growth vegetation and harbour several endemic and rare species of flora and fauna. These naturally confined forests are already some of the most endangered forest types because of habitat loss and destruction.
The recent episode of extreme precipitation caused landslides have dealt a telling blow on these last remaining forest tracts. What is even more shocking is that montane grassland stretches have also experienced large landslides.
The montane grasslands occur over larger portions of the mountains here, covering all the other areas that sholas do not grow in. Together, the shola-grassland mosaic is most adept at absorbing high rainfall amounts and releasing it slowly throughout the year, giving rise to perennial streams.
Over a year they can experience 2,500-5,500 mm of rainfall, which is intricately sequestered by complex hydrological anatomy that carefully lets down most of this water, using what is needed to support the ecology upstream.
The native tussock grasses are highly adapted to hold the soil strongly together on steep slopes. However, even this ecology is now giving way under pressure from extreme weather events.
The shola-grassland mosaic ecology cannot withstand the tremendously high amounts of rainfall (over 2,400 mm) that occur in significantly short periods (over four days). Worsening climate change is driving the intensity and frequency of extreme weather events, resulting in a level of ecosystem collapse, never witnessed before.
A massive landslide in one of the largest sholas in the Avalanche region, with hundreds of native trees and the stream ecology washed away. Photo: Godwin Vasanth Bosco
In the southwest monsoon season of 2018, unusually high rainfall over the highland districts of Idukki, Wayanad and Coorg caused hundreds of landslides. A predominant view was that this was primarily because of the indiscriminate construction of roads and proliferating concretisation of the hills.
However, even within the highly stable shola-grassland ecology, a large number of landslides occurred in spots with no apparent disturbance such as roads and pathways cut through them. This signifies that climate change has reached a level that is beyond the capacity of the ecosystem and land resilience.
What is causing the collapse of the last remaining wild spaces is the cumulation of every action that has contributed to the climate crisis. The actions invariably stem from places that have long lost their plant ecological cover the global urban-industrial-agricultural complex. There is no time to keep ignoring this primary cause.
If we overlook the main cause and only try to safeguard the last remaining wilderness areas from the more direct forms of destruction, they will be susceptible to climate change-related collapse. It is important that threats closer to the last remaining ecological spaces are also curtailed.
But despite the consecutive years of extreme precipitation over short periods in the Nilgiri Biosphere, hardly any step has been taken to address ecological security. Building regulations stand to get eased and road expansion works continue in full swing.
Till June-end, parts of Tamil Nadu experienced a 45 per cent deficiency in the monsoon. The trend is worryingly similar to what happened in the last two years when much of the annual rainfall was concentrated over a few days later in the monsoon period.
Destruction by dams and tunnels
The Kundha watershed region can be broadly divided into two the higher slopes and the descending valleys. Shola-grassland ecology dominates the higher slopes with various types of land uses such as tea cultivation, vegetable farming, villages and non-native tree plantations dominating the descending valleys.
An example of intact shola-grassland mosaic in the hills of the Nilgiri plateau, with the sholas growing in valleys and grasslands covering the slopes.Photo: Godwin Vasanth Bosco
The descending valleys are covered with several dams and hydroelectric structures. The Kundha Hydro-Electric Power Scheme is one of the largest hydropower generating installations in Tamil Nadu with 10 dams, several kilometres of underground tunnels and a capacity of 585 MW.This system is getting two more dams and a seriesof tunnels to set up a pumped storage hydropower facility, which is claimed to generate 1500 MW for peak hour demand but will expend 1800 MW in the process.
With the level of destruction that extreme precipitation events are bringing to the Kundha watershed, it is disastrous to add more large dams and tunnels. The intensity of floods has turned so strong that even the largest dam complexes in the world face threats of being breached.
Safeguarding the last remaining zones of ecology and biodiversity from threats of direct destruction is crucial. Concurrently, the larger worldwide urban-industrial-agricultural complex, from where the climate crisis stems from, needs drastic change. The constant incursions into more and more ecological spaces in the form of new dams, roads, and buildings are also connected to this complex.
Whether it is the landslides in the grasslands of the high elevation plateaus in southern India; the melting glaciers of the Himalayas in northern India; the dying coral and rising sea levels elsewhere in the planet; the COVID-19 pandemic that has brought about unimaginable changes we have to understand the interconnectedness of these dire effects and learn from nature.
Godwin Vasanth Bosco is an ecologist working to restore shola and grassland ecology in the Nilgiri Biosphere. He is the author of the book Voice of a Sentient Highland on the Nilgiri Biosphere
This was first published in Down To Earths print edition (dated 1-15 August, 2020)
We are a voice to you; you have been a support to us. Together we build journalism that is independent, credible and fearless. You can further help us by making a donation. This will mean a lot for our ability to bring you news, perspectives and analysis from the ground so that we can make change together.
Continue reading here:
- The infrastructure of Kick Ecosystem - hackernoon.com - September 25th, 2020
- Humans Destroyed Intact Ecosystem Land the Size of Mexico in Just 13 Years - EcoWatch - September 25th, 2020
- This is the size of undisturbed ecosystems lost in 13 years - World Economic Forum - September 25th, 2020
- maurices Partners with TCS to Build Greenfield IT Ecosystem for its Growth and Transformation - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- Helping the UN Guide Ecosystem Restoration Into the Mainstream - CSRwire.com - September 25th, 2020
- Don't eat the rainforests: Top brands complicit in Indonesia's ecosystem destruction, probe alleges - Down To Earth Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- Colombia: Cross Border Tech Innovation and Ecosystem building - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- The DNS Ecosystem, Its Vulnerabilities, and Threat Mitigations - CircleID - September 25th, 2020
- Scaling Up The Start-up Ecosystem Recommendations Of Standing Committee On Finance - Finance and Banking - India - Mondaq News Alerts - September 25th, 2020
- VR AR Content Creation Ecosystem Market will Register a Significant CAGR During Period 2020-2026 | 18.5% CAGR| Know the Companies List Could... - September 25th, 2020
- Why the new farm Bills should excite the advertising ecosystem - Business Standard - September 25th, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - AiThority - September 4th, 2020
- Why Harmless Harvest takes an ecosystem-based approach to business - New Hope Network - September 4th, 2020
- An 'Ecosystem' Has Propelled NYC Life Sciences Over The Past 5 Years - Bisnow - September 4th, 2020
- BorgWarner expands collaboration with startup ecosystem Plug and Play - Automotive World - September 4th, 2020
- 'Drilling Would Have Devastating Impacts on This Fragile Ecosystem' - FAIR - September 4th, 2020
- Jellypipe launches its online AM ecosystem in the UK and Ireland - Metal Additive Manufacturing magazine - September 4th, 2020
- A Burgeoning Robotic Ecosystem Is Reshaping the Business Landscape - IoT World Today - September 4th, 2020
- New approach needed to protect health of Californias rivers - CALmatters - September 4th, 2020
- Ricoh unveils new AI-powered digital transformation ecosystem to drive Workflow and Process Automation - PRNewswire - September 4th, 2020
- Global mHealth Ecosystem Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast 2025 |... - September 4th, 2020
- IoT Ecosystem Creates an Optimized Smart Warehouse - The Union Journal - September 4th, 2020
- Eight Startups That Could Transform The Aviation Ecosystem - Aviation Week - September 4th, 2020
- TRON and Band Protocol Form Strategic Partnership; Scalable Oracle Technology and Ecosystem Integrations Underway - Business Wire - September 4th, 2020
- The Eight Startups That Could Transform The Aviation Ecosystem - Aviation Week - September 4th, 2020
- Eisai will shift U.S. HQ to New Jersey 'bio-ecosystem' in move to boost oncology, neurology portfolios - FiercePharma - August 12th, 2020
- What is an entrepreneurial ecosystem? And why you need one to raise a startup - TNW - August 12th, 2020
- Thales Expands Technology Partner Ecosystem to Accelerate Enterprises' Cloud and Digital Transformation Initiatives - Business Wire - August 12th, 2020
- Navajo Nation and Environmental Groups Oppose Dam Project Impacting Grand Canyon Ecosystem - Between The Lines - August 12th, 2020
- Alchemy Goes Public With Developer Platform in Bid to Grow DeFi Ecosystem - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 12th, 2020
- ScamNation Report Profiles Digital Ecosystem Targeting Readers of False, Hyperpartisan News with COVID-19 Subscription Traps - GlobeNewswire - August 12th, 2020
- Ecosystem Services: Nature's Gifts That Help Us Thrive | Earth 911 - Earth911.com - August 12th, 2020
- How an entrepreneur saved Kerala wetland ecosystem from real estate interest - Down To Earth Magazine - August 12th, 2020
- QDX HealthID Signs Distribution Agreement with Innova Medical Group Inc. Adding Antigen, Molecular and Antibody Tests to its COVID-19 Test Ecosystem -... - August 12th, 2020
- 5 VCs on the future of Michigans startup ecosystem - TechCrunch - August 12th, 2020
- VCIA: blockchain-based ecosystem will shape digital future of captive industry - Captive Insurance Times - August 12th, 2020
- Microsoft and Samsung need each other now more than ever - The Verge - August 12th, 2020
- "ScamNation" Report Profiles Digital Ecosystem Targeting Readers of False, Hyperpartisan News with COVID-19 Subscription Traps - Benzinga - August 12th, 2020
- "Transitioning to future with stronger APAC healthcare ecosystem" - BSA bureau - August 12th, 2020
- BBT is the first and most competitive game ecosystem - GameDev.net - August 12th, 2020
- Purple urchin has overrun kelp forests, commercial divers and conservationists have have joined forces to restore the North Coasts marine ecosystem -... - August 12th, 2020
- Four Altcoins Could Break Out As Ethereum-Based Ecosystem Goes Parabolic, According to Messari Researcher - The Daily Hodl - August 12th, 2020
- Samsung Unveils Five New Power Devices in the Galaxy Ecosystem to Empower Your Work and Play - Samsung Global Newsroom - August 10th, 2020
- Google Cloud partner ecosystem is thriving and valuable to partner companies, says IDC - TechRepublic - August 10th, 2020
- Global Forecasts for the Intelligent Transportation System Market to 2025 with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by Offering, System, Application, and... - August 10th, 2020
- Diversity & Inclusion in Investment Management: SEC Explores Creating a More Inclusive Capital Formation Ecosystem - JD Supra - August 10th, 2020
- New Marine Park in Australia's Northern Territory Protects a Flourishing Ecosystem - The Pew Charitable Trusts - August 10th, 2020
- Ecosystem of innovation - The News International - August 10th, 2020
- Chehalis River: Watershed Helath, Climate Resilience, and Ecosystem Restoration - The Columbian - August 10th, 2020
- CerebrumX Launched - Buckling Up the Car Data Monetization Ecosystem for the Exciting Ride Ahead - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- Vinli Hires George Ayres as Executive Vice President of Partnerships to Drive the Future of Its Connected Vehicle Ecosystem - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- 6 Ways to Build the Healthcare System of the Future - HealthLeaders Media - August 10th, 2020
- How The Chinese Open Source Ecosystem Is Thriving And Advancing AI - Analytics India Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Best of BS Opinion: Indias digital ecosystem, beyond Ayodhya, and more - Business Standard - August 10th, 2020
- How can Canadas performing arts ecosystem change in the face of COVID-19? - The Globe and Mail - August 10th, 2020
- yEarn Expanding its Ecosystem to Bring in Hot DeFi Tokens into the Mix - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - August 10th, 2020
- What is the current state of the UAE's startup ecosystem? - Gulf Business News - August 10th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact & Recovery Analysis - Commercial Vehicle Advanced Emergency Braking System (AEBS) Market (2020-2024) | Integration of Advanced... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Connected Cow and Farm Market Report 2020: Market Size, Forecasts, Insights and Opportunities to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Alabama Mercedes plant among first in world to use innovative production system - Alabama NewsCenter - August 8th, 2020
- Enhanced efficiency thanks to new family of applications: Digital Mercedes-Benz production ecosystem MO360: global production networked in real time -... - August 8th, 2020
- IPL returns but will be played in UAE; Indian cricket ecosystem loses out - The Times of India Blog - August 8th, 2020
- The Giant Panda Is a Conservation Icon, But The Success Story Masks a Dark Truth - ScienceAlert - August 7th, 2020
- This mobile game lets you build ecosystems that will help solve real-world ecological problems - Fast Company - August 7th, 2020
- BigPanda Invests in Partner Ecosystem to Deliver on Customer Demand for Improved IT Operations - GlobeNewswire - August 7th, 2020
- The IoT Community Internet of Things Community Announces Phizzle Has Joined Its Elite IoT Ecosystem as a Gold Level Corporate Member - Business Wire - August 7th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Clinical Trial Management System Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR of Almost 11% Through 2020-2024 | Increasing Outsourcing of... - August 7th, 2020
- The AR/VR ecosystem Are we there yet? - VentureBeat - August 4th, 2020
- Spixii Joins Duck Creek Technologies Partner Ecosystem, Offering Award-Winning Claim Solution to Deliver on Customer Expectations at the Moment of... - August 4th, 2020
- DIY phishing kits dissected: Organizations urged to tackle the underground ecosystem that democratized cybercrime - The Daily Swig - August 4th, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on The Wearable Technology Ecosystem Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2018 to 2030... - August 4th, 2020
- India Gaming Summit 2020: How Dream11 plans to build the esports ecosystem from the bottoms up - The Financial Express - August 4th, 2020
- Huawei Ecosystem has gone beyond the heights with 1.6 M Global Developers - - Technology Times Pakistan - August 4th, 2020
- Opinion | How to make online payments bustle with competition - Livemint - August 4th, 2020
- Building ecosystems is hard. Auditing them is worse. - Stacey on IoT - August 4th, 2020
- AB 3030 fails to recognize marine protections that exists in California - CALmatters - August 4th, 2020
- VoLTE (Voice over LTE) Ecosystem Industry Market Professional Survey 2020 by Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Trends, Types and Applications, Forecast to... - August 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Global Automotive Intelligent Door System Market will Accelerate at a CAGR of almost 12% through 2020-2024|Growing Demand for... - August 4th, 2020
- Podcast: CLUECON SPECIAL FEATURE OrecX not only delivers top shelf stereo recording, but delivers a huge ecosystem of add on technology that may... - August 4th, 2020
- Singapore Launches SGGA To Create A Sustainable And Inclusive Ecosystem for Gaming and Esports. - IGN Southeast Asia - August 4th, 2020