Elon Musk's Twitter operations are still in free fall.
Earlier this week, the billionaire CEO sent an email to staff telling them that they "need to be extremely hardcore" and work long hours at the office, or quit and get three months severance, as The Washington Post reports.
Employees had until 5 pm on Thursday to click "yes" and be part of Twitter moving forward or take the money and part ways. The problem for Musk? According to former Uber engineer Gergely Orosz, who has had a close ear to Twitter's recent inner turmoil, "far fewer than expected [developers] hit 'yes.'"
So many employees called Musk's bluff, Orosz says, that Musk is now "having meetings with top engineers to convince them to stay," in an embarrassing reversal of his public-facing bravado earlier this week.
Twitter has already been rocked by mass layoffs, cutting the workforce roughly in half. Instead of notifying them, employees had access to their email and work computers revoked without notice.
Even that process was bungled, too, with some employees immediately being asked to return to the company after Musk's crew realized it had sacked people it needed.
According to Orosz's estimations, Twitter's engineering workforce may have been cut by a whopping 90 percent in just three weeks.
Musk has been banging the war drums in an active attempt to weed out those who aren't willing to abide by his strict rules and those who were willing to stand up to him.
But developers aren't exactly embracing that kind of tyranny.
"Sounds like playing hardball does not work," Orosz said. "Of course it doesn't."
"From my larger group of 50 people, 10 are staying, 40 are taking the severance," one source reportedly told Orosz. "Elon set up meetings with a few who plan to quit."
In short, developers are running for the hills — and besides, they're likely to find far better work conditions pretty much anywhere else.
"I am not sure Elon realizes that, unlike rocket scientists, who have relatively few options to work at, [developers] with the experience of building Twitter only have better options than the conditions he outlines," Orosz argued.
Then there's the fact that Musk has publicly lashed out at engineers, mocking them and implying that they were leading him on.
Those who spoke out against him were summarily fired.
That kind of hostility in leadership — Musk has shown an astonishing lack of respect — clearly isn't sitting well with many developers, who have taken up his to get three months of severance and leave.
"I meant it when I called Elon's latest ultimatum the first truly positive thing about this Twitter saga," Orosz wrote. "Because finally, everyone who had enough of the BS and is not on a visa could finally quit."
The post Panicked Elon Musk Reportedly Begging Engineers Not to Leave appeared first on Futurism.
See more here:
- Security agencies have launched final assault on terror, its ecosystem in J&K: LG - The Kashmir Monitor - The Kashmir Monitor - January 31st, 2023
- Union Budget 2023-24: Govt to announce a slew of changes to boost economy - Firstpost - January 31st, 2023
- FDA Gives First Go Ahead for Lab Grown Meat Product - November 20th, 2022
- Sam Bankman-Fried Admits the "Ethics Stuff" Was "Mostly a Front" - November 20th, 2022
- Celebrities Are Officially Being Sued by FTX Retail Investors - November 20th, 2022
- Startup Says It's Building a Giant CO2 Battery in the United States - November 20th, 2022
- "Elon" Plummets in Popularity as a Baby Name for Some Reason - November 20th, 2022
- Former Facebook Exec Says Zuckerberg Has Surrounded Himself With Sycophants - November 20th, 2022
- Celebrities' Bored Apes Are Hilariously Worthless Now - November 20th, 2022
- NASA Orders Press Not to Photograph Launch Site After Moon Mission Takes Off - November 20th, 2022
- Experts Baffled by Why NASA’s “Red Crew” Wear Blue Shirts - November 20th, 2022
- Ticketmaster May Have Finally Met Its Match: Furious Swifties - November 20th, 2022
- Elon Musk Locks Twitter Employees Out Office, Then Asks Them to Meet Him on the 10th Floor - November 20th, 2022
- NASA Drops Stunning New James Webb Image of a Star Being Born - November 20th, 2022
- NASA Tells Astronauts That Tweeting Isn't As Important as Staying Alive - November 20th, 2022
- Twitter Claims Video of Moon Rocket Launch Is Revenge Porn - November 20th, 2022
- Experts Excoriate NASA Report Claiming James Webb Wasn't Homophobic - November 20th, 2022
- Behind the Lawsuit Against Celebs Who Shilled FTX Before Its Spectacular Meltdown - November 20th, 2022
- So Many People Are Using a Diabetes Drug for Weight Loss That Actual Diabetics Are Having Trouble Getting It - November 20th, 2022
- Amazing Map Lets You Scroll Through the Entire Known Universe - November 20th, 2022
- Manslaughter Case Has a Strange Twist: Tesla That Killed Couple Was on Autopilot - November 4th, 2022
- Greta Thunberg Says UN Climate Conference Is a Scam and She's Not Attending - November 4th, 2022
- This Deepfake AI Singing Dolly Parton's "Jolene" Is Worryingly Good - November 4th, 2022
- Twitter Working on Plan to Charge Users to Watch Videos - November 4th, 2022
- NASA Sets Launch Date for Mission to $10 Quintillion Asteroid - November 4th, 2022
- There's Something Strange About How These Stars Are Moving, Scientists Say - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Spot "Stripped, Pulsating Core" of Star Caused By Horrific Accident - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Use Actual Lunar Soil Sample to Create Rocket Fuel - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Found a Way to Control How High Mice Got on Cocaine - November 4th, 2022
- Cats May Be Tampering With Crime Scenes, Scientists Say - November 4th, 2022
- Elon Musk Meeting With Advertisers, Begging Them Not to Leave Twitter - November 4th, 2022
- China Plans to Send Monkeys to Space Station to Have Sex With Each Other - November 4th, 2022
- US Gov to Crack Down on "Bossware" That Spies On Employees' Computers - November 4th, 2022
- Huge Drone Swarm to Form Giant Advertisement Over NYC Skyline - November 4th, 2022
- Hackers Just Took Down One of the World's Most Advanced Telescopes - November 4th, 2022
- Chinese Spaceplane Releases Mystery Object Into Orbit - November 4th, 2022
- AOC Says Her Twitter Account Broke After She Made Fun of Elon Musk - November 4th, 2022
- That "Research" About How Smartphones Are Causing Deformed Human Bodies Is SEO Spam, You Idiots - November 4th, 2022
- Jeff Bezos' Housekeeper Says She Had to Climb Out the Window to Use the Bathroom - November 4th, 2022
- Nutanix Accelerates Kubernetes Adoption in the Enterprise; Company Announces Expanded Kubernetes Ecosystem and Developer-Ready Infrastructure... - October 27th, 2022
- Govt committed to dismantle terror eco-system in Kashmir, says Lt Guv - The Northlines - October 19th, 2022
- Microplastic pollution: One of biggest threats to ecosystem - Daily Pioneer - October 19th, 2022
- Green mountains and lucid water at your doorstep: Chengdu, a park city, unravels new blueprint for Chinese cities - PR Newswire - October 19th, 2022
- Dronedek's New Partnership with A2Z Drone Delivery Further Expands Global Delivery Ecosystem of the Future - The OGM - October 19th, 2022
- Samsung R&D Institute Bangalore Wins the National Intellectual Property Award 2021 and 2022, WIPO IP Enterprises Trophy for Being the Top Patent Filer... - October 19th, 2022
- Ericsson presented its 5G and FRMCS solutions at InnoTrans - Ericsson - October 19th, 2022
- Novartis to cut its Irish workforce by up to 25% - Yahoo Finance - October 19th, 2022
- Meet the Company Innovating Portable Power Solutions in Africa - Punch Newspapers - October 19th, 2022
- Sterile Medical Packaging Market Size is Expected to Reach Around USD 65 Billion by 2033; Rising Cases of Lifestyle Disorder Disease and... - October 19th, 2022
- UK Govt ignoring needs of science sector argues report from Reading's Ridge and Partners - The Business Magazine - October 19th, 2022
- Will surpass last year India looks at highest defence exports this fiscal, as DefExpo starts - ThePrint - October 19th, 2022
- The support system for Indian chefs to excel on a world stage is lacking: chef Vivek Saggar - ETHospitality - October 19th, 2022
- Naveen invites top industries to be part of Odishas growth - The New Indian Express - October 19th, 2022
- Building Automation System Market Growth Driven by the Rising Demand for Energy-Efficient and Eco-Friendly Buildings | MDC Research - Yahoo Finance - August 30th, 2022
- Dismantle 'eco-system' that abets and sustains militancy in JK: Amit Shah - Kashmir Reader - August 30th, 2022
- Integrators and relationships: what CMOs are looking for from agencies - Bizcommunity.com - August 30th, 2022
- Criminals Minds Showrunner Simon Mirren & Production Partner Benjamin Anderson Team With Applause & Locomotive Global To Create Indian... - August 30th, 2022
- The Remarkable Customer Experience Recovery System and Digital Transformation | By Are Morch - Hospitality Net - August 30th, 2022
- Natures Vault Launches Gold-Linked Utility Token NVLT in the Polygon Ecosystem - The Daily Hodl - August 30th, 2022
- Strategically Planned Final Assault Required To Free J&K Of Terror: DGP - Kashmir Observer - August 30th, 2022
- Bhopal: 3-day meeting of science and technology councils of different states to begin from Monday - Free Press Journal - August 30th, 2022
- Strategically planned final assault is required to march towards terror free J&K: DGP - United News of India - August 30th, 2022
- Ecosystem - Wikipedia - June 29th, 2022
- Team at Atlantic Data Forensics Joins Surefire Cyber, Adding Forensic Expertise and 15-Year Track Record to Newly Launched Incident Response Firm - PR... - June 29th, 2022
- Explained: Why telecom companies are eying the 5G band of 3.5K-3.6K MHz - Business Standard - June 29th, 2022
- Cantourage UK brings Together Pharma's Uganda-grown medical cannabis to the United Kingdom - PR Newswire - June 29th, 2022
- Heading back to nature this summer? Tread lightly, say outdoor experts - CBC.ca - June 29th, 2022
- Layer Three Ventures Announces $30M Web3 Crypto Fund and Accelerator - FinTech Futures - June 29th, 2022
- Jute Bags Market is expected to grow by USD 3.83 Billion during 2027, progressing at a CAGR of 8.90% During the Forecast Period - Digital Journal - June 29th, 2022
- Introducing the Truckstop.com Partner Marketplace: A Comprehensive Transportation and Logistics Ecosystem - Benzinga - June 29th, 2022
- Limitless X Anticipates Strong Sales and Earnings in the Current Fiscal Year - GuruFocus.com - June 29th, 2022
- SEC will be strengthened to reposition Nigeria's capital market, says Finance Minister | The ICIR - ICIR - June 29th, 2022
- Broadband Stakeholder Group Replaced by UK Digital Connectivity Forum - ISPreview.co.uk - June 29th, 2022
- ICAB and BIDA signs MoU on DVS - The Business Standard - June 29th, 2022
- Atari: Results of the first half of 2020-2021 Paris Stock Exchange:ATA - GlobeNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- CME: The Benefits of More Automated FX Trade - finews.asia - February 17th, 2021
- RIOT GAMES, FREAKS 4U GAMING and SPORTFIVE partner up to produce and commercialize the 2021 VALORANT CHAMPIONS TOUR - European Gaming Industry News - February 17th, 2021
- A 'pop-up' airport for electric aircraft could transform the way we think about urban travel - CNBC - February 17th, 2021
- Neom's futuristic 'Line' in the sand is good news for Saudi Arabia's tech start-ups - Arab News - February 17th, 2021
- Biomass Utilization System Market Analysis 2021 to 2027 with Strategic Trends Growth, Revenue|KOBELCO ECO-SOLUTIONS, China Southern Power Grid,... - February 17th, 2021