Last week, Sustainability in Packaging, an event that took place March 11-13 in Chicago, provided insights from brand owners, retailers, packaging manufacturers, government regulators and nongovernmental organizations on trends in sustainable packaging.
Andrew Kern, procurement manager at Smurfit Kappa, which has headquarters in Ireland, presented on March 13 in a session titled Navigating the Sustainability Ecosystem. Kern is part of a team responsible for procuring fiber for the company's 100 percent recycled containerboard mill in Forney, Texas, as well as its other mills throughout the Americas and Europe. During the session, Kern discussed three critical obstacles in packaging that impact the recycling industry: critical mass, too many choices and contamination.
He said the critical mass and too many choices challenges tie into the challenge of contamination.
With critical mass, you have to have a volume of material to economically have a solution for most recyclable materials, said Kern So, thats part of why we have [single-stream recycling]it helps us overcome that critical mass. But the byproduct of that is we end up with contamination. Also, a lot of contamination is due to over-choice [with packaging options]. Over-choice tends to lead to poor and wrong choices with recycling, which leads to contamination.
In the presentation, Kern also shared some myths in the session around sustainable packaging, including:
Collection of recyclable materials equates to recycling.
Preconsumer recycled materials and postconsumer recycled materials are equal.
Biodegradable and biocompostable are the same thing.
Kern said hes even noticed people in the recycling industry share these myths at times.
Im amazed at how often I even see in our own recycling industry the idea that collection equals recycling, he said. Just because something is collected at a plant doesnt always equate to it being recycled, either due to contamination before it comes to the plant or when at the plant. The other myth is that preconsumer materials that are recycled do not necessarily equal postconsumer materials that are recycled. Source-separated industrial materials frequently have end-use homes that dont once they become comingled.
Then, the myth of biodegradable and biocompostable being the same thingtheres a myth about how beneficial they are, he continued. A lot of biodegradable products out there turn into contamination [mixed] with their plastic counterparts.
There are several ways to combat these myths. Kern suggested working with suppliers and recycling facilities to improve communication. At Smurfit Kappa, he said the companys Better Planet Packaging initiative has helped to bust some of these myths.
We had an event in November where we invited multiple packaging partners of ours to learn more about end life cycles of packaging, Kern said. Thats the encouraging piece. Companies involved in packaging are taking more interest in the end life cycle and wanting to understand it. There are still difficult choices to be made, but they are more involved in that. Were encouraging that.
Kern added that he has noticed some trends that may improve the sustainability of packaging. He said Amazons Frustration-Free Packaging model and similar design trends that use fewer types of materials help reduce contamination in recycling.
Weve even developed some packaging designs that utilize corrugated buffers instead of foam buffers in packaging to eliminate over choice, he added.
Another trend is the move toward using more recycled materials in packaging to improve sustainability, which he said is driven, in part, by increased consumer demand for recycled content in products.
However, some trends may not be as beneficial to recycling. Kern said there is a trend toward personalized packaging and box demand requirements by customers. Thats a trend that could work for or against contamination issues, depending on the direction of personalization that goes into that, he said.
Overall, Kern said he wants to see more packaging trends alleviate contamination challenges faced by recyclers. He said, My hope is some of these packaging trends ease the challenges of removing contamination. As packaging choices are made with more focus on end life cycles and better understanding them. Really, its not been verbalized, but the idea that they want to know its not just recovered but recycled to a new productthose are positives I think coming out of some of these packaging trends.
Follow this link:
- An Entrepreneurial Ecosystem on the Rise - Babson Thought & Action - May 31st, 2020
- Poaching in Indonesia's biodiverse Leuser Ecosystem on the rise amid COVID-19 - Mongabay.com - May 31st, 2020
- Anchoviesand Their PredatorsHelp Researcher Solve Ecosystem Mysteries - The Pew Charitable Trusts - May 31st, 2020
- How EcoMotion evolved from 'unconference' to ecosystem - Automotive News - May 31st, 2020
- Weeds get a bad rap, but many are crucial to the ecosystem - CBC.ca - May 31st, 2020
- driverplus Joins the Automate with Velodyne Ecosystem - The Auto Channel - May 31st, 2020
- Idriverplus Joins the "Automate with Velodyne" Ecosystem - Financial Post - May 31st, 2020
- Smart Command plumbing eco-system expanded to deliver greater insight into bathroom water usage - Architecture AU - May 31st, 2020
- LabCorp Accelerates Adoption of Decentralized Clinical Trials, Expands Technology Ecosystem Through Alliance With Medable - Business Wire - May 31st, 2020
- Ecosystem thinking is the path to future growth - AV Magazine - May 31st, 2020
- ForgeRock supports Telkomsel to secure its customer identities and power digital ecosystem ambitions - GlobeNewswire - May 31st, 2020
- lucy zakharova + ted lu design ocean capsules to help restore the aquatic ecosystem - Designboom - May 31st, 2020
- 5G Wireless Ecosystem Market to Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 31st, 2020
- AI in BFSI Ecosystem Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - WaterCloud News - May 31st, 2020
- 'Regenerative agriculture could reduce volatility in the feed system' - FeedNavigator.com - May 31st, 2020
- ICSB event on Covid19 and its impact - The Financial Express - May 31st, 2020
- Need to monitor Chinas role in Indian ecosystem - The Tribune India - May 15th, 2020
- Sharp and the 8K Ecosystem - Display Daily - May 15th, 2020
- Huawei Partners With Carmakers to Build 5G-Enabled Automobile Ecosystem - Caixin Global - May 15th, 2020
- Cyberbank Group Expand New Cloud-Based Digital Asset Solutions - Yahoo Finance - May 15th, 2020
- Key drivers changing the banking ecosystem landscape - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - May 15th, 2020
- Articles - The power of the ecosystem - Actuarial Post - May 15th, 2020
- Mobile Phone Insurance Ecosystem Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 15th, 2020
- Atari Teams Up with Arkane Network to Integrate the Atari Token Across Digital Entertainment Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - May 15th, 2020
- How Coronavirus Is Impacting The V2X (Vehicle-to-Everything) Communications Ecosystem: 2019 2030 3w Market News Reports - 3rd Watch News - May 15th, 2020
- Microsoft announces definitive agreement to acquire Metaswitch Networks, expanding approach to empower operators and partner with network equipment... - May 15th, 2020
- Privacy And Information Are The New Cloud Currency And Google Owns The Mint - Forbes - May 15th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on the World's Cybersecurity Industry, Major Verticals, Regions and Key Vendors (2019-2021): Optimistic/as-is/Pessimistic Scenarios... - May 15th, 2020
- Is Ethereum 2.0 really the next big wave in the crypto-ecosystem? - AMBCrypto - May 15th, 2020
- Review of Facing the Anthropocene: Fossil Capitalism and the Crisis of the Earth System - Resilience - May 11th, 2020
- Analysis: Hellish reality of modern information ecosystem presents particular danger during pandemic - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- MOXY Is A Non-Partisan Online Ecosystem To Inform And Engage You In Politics - Android Headlines - May 11th, 2020
- Humio Joins the IBM Edge Ecosystem to Bring Real-Time Insights to Organizations Deploying Edge Computing - DevOps.com - May 11th, 2020
- Square Still Represents a Very Attractive Investment - TheStreet - May 11th, 2020
- Pakistan is one of the fastest emerging startup ecosystem in Asia, McKinsey & Co - Technology Times Pakistan - May 11th, 2020
- Revealed: Plants Molecular Alarm System That Protects Them From Predators - SciTechDaily - May 11th, 2020
- The Rise of the Modern Tech Ecosystem | Sponsored Content | Tech-Talk Webinar, On-Demand - eMarketer - April 26th, 2020
- UAE- Formula One paying teams to protect 'ecosystem' - MENAFN.COM - April 26th, 2020
- How Facebook is logging into the Reliance Jio ecosystem - Economic Times - April 26th, 2020
- Interactive Graphic: Salafi Jihadi Ecosystem In The Sahel - Critical Threats Project - April 26th, 2020
- What will it take for the micro-entrepreneurial ecosystem to survive the crisis that has been amplified by COV - YourStory - April 26th, 2020
- The federal IT service provider of Germany relies on Cloudogu EcoSystem - PR Web - April 26th, 2020
- Treehouse Village overnights available this summer at Metroparks Toledos Oak Openings Preserve - cleveland.com - April 26th, 2020
- Apple Pay outage preventing some users from paying their Apple Card bill and more - 9to5Mac - April 26th, 2020
- Why Cash App Can Drive Square's Valuation Much Higher - Seeking Alpha - April 26th, 2020
- COVID-19 has positive impact on Thailand's ecosystem - Pattaya Mail - April 26th, 2020
- Pasadenas mayor reflects on the pandemics strictures - The Pasadena Star-News - April 26th, 2020
- One in 3 death certificates were wrong before coronavirus. It's about to get even worse. - USA TODAY - April 26th, 2020
- RT-Thread RTOS Creates a New Model of the Real-Time Operating System - IT News Online - April 26th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on the Global Industrial Robotics Market - Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 10.4% During 2020-2025; Down by ~3% on the Pre-COVID-19... - April 26th, 2020
- The Extinction Crisis Devastating San Francisco Bay - The Nation - April 26th, 2020
- How Coronavirus Is Impacting The SDN, NFV & Network Virtualization Ecosystem: 2017 2030 - Cole of Duty - April 26th, 2020
- Education Ecosystem with Unified Technology Market Countries Analysis Report 2020 by Industry Size, Share, Growth Rate and Revenue - Latest Herald - April 26th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Research Report prospects the HetNet Ecosystem Market - Jewish Life News - April 26th, 2020
- The Coming Ecosystem Collapse Is Already Here for Coral - The New Republic - April 17th, 2020
- Coronavirus Pandemic Linked to Destruction of Wildlife and World's Ecosystems - EcoWatch - April 17th, 2020
- A new venture studio is aiming to foster the development of the Algorand ecosystem - CryptoSlate - April 17th, 2020
- Ethereum Tops DApp Ecosystem in Q1 Followed by Tron and EOS: DappRadar Report - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - April 17th, 2020
- New report reveals a growing and diverse VR/AR ecosystem in B.C., but challenges loom - BCBusiness - April 17th, 2020
- Meet the businesses collaborating for the good of the SME ecosystem | News - Speciality Food - April 17th, 2020
- Coronavirus pandemic will hit the tech startup ecosystem hard but there is hope - SiliconANGLE - April 2nd, 2020
- Hardware Threats to an IoT Ecosystem - IoT For All - April 2nd, 2020
- Mozilla to extend Coil support in the Firefox Reality ecosystem - Neowin - April 2nd, 2020
- Secure Technology Alliance Publishes White Paper on Mobile Driver's Licenses and Emerging Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - April 2nd, 2020
- Plague is a significant source of mortality in pumas in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem - Outbreak News Today - April 2nd, 2020
- How to EcoSystem-ize Your PCs & Laptops to Reduce Carbon Footprint and Boost Productivity - News & Features - April 2nd, 2020
- In Other Waters review - PC Gamer - April 2nd, 2020
- The startup ecosystem gets its ACT together, sets up fund to help fight COVID-19 - Moneycontrol - April 2nd, 2020
- Mobile accessory brand juice creates its own global ecosystem - Packaging News - April 2nd, 2020
- Paradigm Is Biggest Winner of MakerDAO Lending Systems MKR Governance Tokens, to Cover $4.5 Million of Undercollaterized Debt - Crowdfund Insider - April 2nd, 2020
- CSP Cloud-native Technology Adoption & K8s Ecosystem Report 2020 - CSPs' 5G Success Will Depend on Having a Low-Cost, Fast-to-Deploy and Scalable... - April 2nd, 2020
- AUSABLE WATER WISE: Ecosystem engineers of the river channel | News, Sports, Jobs - Lake Placid News - April 2nd, 2020
- Rebooting The Global Economy After Coronavirus: Physical Scarcity To Digital Abundance - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Ecosystem Healthier than 2014 and BitMEX Research Explains Why - U.Today - April 2nd, 2020
- CDFW Awards $37 Million for Ecosystem and Watershed Restoration, Protection and Scientific Study Projects - CDFW News - March 26th, 2020
- Here's how healthcare can build effective ecosystem for innovation, entrepreneurship - India Today - March 26th, 2020
- Neo Foundation unlocks 1.66 million NEO to fund development of ecosystem - NEO News Today - March 26th, 2020
- Sony expands its Smart Agriculture Solution ecosystem - Successful Farming - March 26th, 2020
- Madrid: A city turning eco-fictions into eco-futures through systems innovation - Daily Planet` - March 26th, 2020
- Pablo Escobar's Cocaine Hippos Are Filling Ecosystem Roles in Colombia That Have Been Vacant for Thousands of - Gizmodo - March 26th, 2020