Outside of its hardware announcements, one of the bigger takeaways from yesterdays Samsung event was its ever-closer relationship with Microsoft. The two companies are partnering together on everything from mobile gaming bundles, to optimizing their apps and integrating their software. They even announced that youll soon be able to use and control multiple apps from your Samsung phone directly on your Windows 10 PC, as well as use your Samsung tablet as a secondary display.
Its not a new partnership, and Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella even personally appeared at Samsungs Note 10 event last year. But its more important than ever before, as the industry hurtles toward the next big ecosystem battle between iOS and Android. Its no longer just about the phones themselves but about how these phones interact with the other computers in your life, whether theyre laptops, desktops, or even game consoles. And Samsungs deepening partnership with Microsoft is essential to its approach.
Samsung and Microsoft announced a lot of codeveloped projects yesterday, encompassing everything from gaming, to office apps and productivity software.
On the gaming side, the focus was Microsofts xCloud game streaming service. The features, which build on an existing xCloud partnership, include a special version of the Xbox Game Pass app on Samsungs Galaxy Store that will come with features not available in the Google Play Store version. Theres also a gaming bundle for the Note 20 coming that will include three months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate alongside a third-party controller designed to play streamed games.
Their productivity and office software is also getting more deeply integrated. Notes from the Samsung Notes app will sync with Outlook and OneNote, and Samsung Reminders will sync across multiple Microsoft services including Microsoft To Do, Teams, and Outlook. Samsung also said that it was working with Microsoft to optimize apps like PowerPoint, Word, and Excel for the display of the Galaxy Z Fold 2, and there were even minor tie-ups like being able to use the Galaxy Tab S7 as an external display for Windows 10 machines.
But the most important feature, and the one that gives the clearest example of the benefits of Samsung and Microsofts partnership, was the new Your Phone functionality. Yesterday, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 testers would be able to run Android apps side by side with Windows programs and, at the moment, it works exclusively with Samsung phones. Samsung said during its event that the functionality would expand to let you run multiple apps side by side later this year.
I dont doubt that this feature has been in the works for some time, but its hard not to compare it to Apples demo from WWDC 2020 where it showed iOS and iPadOS apps running natively on macOS thanks to its upcoming transition to ARM-based processors. Apple and Samsung appear to be taking two different approaches here Apples machines are running mobile apps natively while Samsungs appear to be streaming from a connected phone but the end result is similar: using mobile apps on your computer.
And Google which makes Android hardly seems to be in the conversation. Literally: the company didnt get a mention until the final third of Samsungs keynote. Googles ecosystem solution is to allow Android apps to run on top of Chrome OS as well as some minor Android / Chrome OS integrations like tethering. But the feature has been historically buggy and Chrome OS in general hasnt managed to expand beyond its historical niches.
Look at all three, though, and you can clearly see a trend: the boundaries between what is a phone, a tablet, and a laptop are becoming blurrier than ever. My colleague Dieter Bohn has been asking Whats a computer? for years now, and its a question thats getting increasingly difficult to answer with every accessory that adds a keyboard or trackpad to a traditional tablet, or a touchscreen to a laptop.
Its a trend that may put Samsung at a disadvantage compared to Apple. Apple already controls enough about its mobile and computing ecosystems that it can offer cross form-factor features like Continuity, but with its switch to using ARM-based processors on the Mac, it will gain a unified app ecosystem that could eventually stretch from phones all the way up to professional desktop computers like the Mac Pro.
Apples control over every aspect of its devices means it alone can draw the boundaries between its phones, tablets, and computers. Apple can decide to make the iPad work as a secondary display for the Mac, without having to make whatever agreement Samsung and Microsoft did to get the same functionality for the Android-powered Tab S7 and Windows 10. Apple alone can add significant new features to iPadOS to make it work with external mice and trackpads; it alone is responsible for deciding that MacBooks shouldnt have touchscreens; and it alone has put macOS and iPadOS on a collision course with one another.
This power disparity means Samsung needs partners like Microsoft now more than ever if it wants its products to work together as seamlessly as Apples do. As the primary developer of Android, Google is another immensely important partner, but Androids open-source core gives Samsung more latitude to build its own features on top of it via its One UI software.
Against the monolith of Apple, Samsungs approach has its advantages. Rather than trying to do everything inside one walled garden, Samsung is able to defer to Microsofts biggest strengths. Take xCloud. The same day Xboxs Phil Spencer appeared during Samsungs demonstration that Xbox was working with Samsung to offer the best possible gaming experience, it ended its xCloud game streaming test on iOS devices. Apples App Store policies are thought to be the problem.
The split means that Samsung phone owners, along with the rest of the Android community, will get access to xClouds library of games, while Apple users are limited to playing games that run natively across their devices (Googles Stadia game streaming service is also not available on iOS). That still includes plenty of games made for the iPhone and iPad which will soon run natively on ARM-based Macs, and it also includes many great games from Apples own subscription service, but it wont include big AAA Xbox titles like those from the Forza and Gears of War series.
Native games are not the same thing as streamed games, but Samsung users get both, while Apples only get one.
I wrote last year that Samsung isnt going it alone in its fight against Apple and Google, and yesterdays Note 20 event couldnt have made that clearer. The futures of smartphones, laptops, and tablets are colliding, and Samsung doesnt have the control to be able to forge a path on its own. Thanks to its ever increasing number of partnerships with Microsoft, however, it has a partner that can help it get there.
- The infrastructure of Kick Ecosystem - hackernoon.com - September 25th, 2020
- Humans Destroyed Intact Ecosystem Land the Size of Mexico in Just 13 Years - EcoWatch - September 25th, 2020
- This is the size of undisturbed ecosystems lost in 13 years - World Economic Forum - September 25th, 2020
- maurices Partners with TCS to Build Greenfield IT Ecosystem for its Growth and Transformation - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- Helping the UN Guide Ecosystem Restoration Into the Mainstream - CSRwire.com - September 25th, 2020
- Don't eat the rainforests: Top brands complicit in Indonesia's ecosystem destruction, probe alleges - Down To Earth Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- Colombia: Cross Border Tech Innovation and Ecosystem building - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- The DNS Ecosystem, Its Vulnerabilities, and Threat Mitigations - CircleID - September 25th, 2020
- Scaling Up The Start-up Ecosystem Recommendations Of Standing Committee On Finance - Finance and Banking - India - Mondaq News Alerts - September 25th, 2020
- VR AR Content Creation Ecosystem Market will Register a Significant CAGR During Period 2020-2026 | 18.5% CAGR| Know the Companies List Could... - September 25th, 2020
- Why the new farm Bills should excite the advertising ecosystem - Business Standard - September 25th, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - AiThority - September 4th, 2020
- Why Harmless Harvest takes an ecosystem-based approach to business - New Hope Network - September 4th, 2020
- An 'Ecosystem' Has Propelled NYC Life Sciences Over The Past 5 Years - Bisnow - September 4th, 2020
- BorgWarner expands collaboration with startup ecosystem Plug and Play - Automotive World - September 4th, 2020
- 'Drilling Would Have Devastating Impacts on This Fragile Ecosystem' - FAIR - September 4th, 2020
- Jellypipe launches its online AM ecosystem in the UK and Ireland - Metal Additive Manufacturing magazine - September 4th, 2020
- A Burgeoning Robotic Ecosystem Is Reshaping the Business Landscape - IoT World Today - September 4th, 2020
- New approach needed to protect health of Californias rivers - CALmatters - September 4th, 2020
- Ricoh unveils new AI-powered digital transformation ecosystem to drive Workflow and Process Automation - PRNewswire - September 4th, 2020
- Global mHealth Ecosystem Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast 2025 |... - September 4th, 2020
- IoT Ecosystem Creates an Optimized Smart Warehouse - The Union Journal - September 4th, 2020
- Eight Startups That Could Transform The Aviation Ecosystem - Aviation Week - September 4th, 2020
- TRON and Band Protocol Form Strategic Partnership; Scalable Oracle Technology and Ecosystem Integrations Underway - Business Wire - September 4th, 2020
- The Eight Startups That Could Transform The Aviation Ecosystem - Aviation Week - September 4th, 2020
- Eisai will shift U.S. HQ to New Jersey 'bio-ecosystem' in move to boost oncology, neurology portfolios - FiercePharma - August 12th, 2020
- What is an entrepreneurial ecosystem? And why you need one to raise a startup - TNW - August 12th, 2020
- Thales Expands Technology Partner Ecosystem to Accelerate Enterprises' Cloud and Digital Transformation Initiatives - Business Wire - August 12th, 2020
- Navajo Nation and Environmental Groups Oppose Dam Project Impacting Grand Canyon Ecosystem - Between The Lines - August 12th, 2020
- Alchemy Goes Public With Developer Platform in Bid to Grow DeFi Ecosystem - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 12th, 2020
- ScamNation Report Profiles Digital Ecosystem Targeting Readers of False, Hyperpartisan News with COVID-19 Subscription Traps - GlobeNewswire - August 12th, 2020
- Ecosystem Services: Nature's Gifts That Help Us Thrive | Earth 911 - Earth911.com - August 12th, 2020
- How an entrepreneur saved Kerala wetland ecosystem from real estate interest - Down To Earth Magazine - August 12th, 2020
- QDX HealthID Signs Distribution Agreement with Innova Medical Group Inc. Adding Antigen, Molecular and Antibody Tests to its COVID-19 Test Ecosystem -... - August 12th, 2020
- 5 VCs on the future of Michigans startup ecosystem - TechCrunch - August 12th, 2020
- VCIA: blockchain-based ecosystem will shape digital future of captive industry - Captive Insurance Times - August 12th, 2020
- "ScamNation" Report Profiles Digital Ecosystem Targeting Readers of False, Hyperpartisan News with COVID-19 Subscription Traps - Benzinga - August 12th, 2020
- "Transitioning to future with stronger APAC healthcare ecosystem" - BSA bureau - August 12th, 2020
- BBT is the first and most competitive game ecosystem - GameDev.net - August 12th, 2020
- Purple urchin has overrun kelp forests, commercial divers and conservationists have have joined forces to restore the North Coasts marine ecosystem -... - August 12th, 2020
- Four Altcoins Could Break Out As Ethereum-Based Ecosystem Goes Parabolic, According to Messari Researcher - The Daily Hodl - August 12th, 2020
- Samsung Unveils Five New Power Devices in the Galaxy Ecosystem to Empower Your Work and Play - Samsung Global Newsroom - August 10th, 2020
- Google Cloud partner ecosystem is thriving and valuable to partner companies, says IDC - TechRepublic - August 10th, 2020
- Global Forecasts for the Intelligent Transportation System Market to 2025 with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by Offering, System, Application, and... - August 10th, 2020
- Diversity & Inclusion in Investment Management: SEC Explores Creating a More Inclusive Capital Formation Ecosystem - JD Supra - August 10th, 2020
- New Marine Park in Australia's Northern Territory Protects a Flourishing Ecosystem - The Pew Charitable Trusts - August 10th, 2020
- Ecosystem of innovation - The News International - August 10th, 2020
- Chehalis River: Watershed Helath, Climate Resilience, and Ecosystem Restoration - The Columbian - August 10th, 2020
- CerebrumX Launched - Buckling Up the Car Data Monetization Ecosystem for the Exciting Ride Ahead - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- Vinli Hires George Ayres as Executive Vice President of Partnerships to Drive the Future of Its Connected Vehicle Ecosystem - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- 6 Ways to Build the Healthcare System of the Future - HealthLeaders Media - August 10th, 2020
- How The Chinese Open Source Ecosystem Is Thriving And Advancing AI - Analytics India Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Best of BS Opinion: Indias digital ecosystem, beyond Ayodhya, and more - Business Standard - August 10th, 2020
- How can Canadas performing arts ecosystem change in the face of COVID-19? - The Globe and Mail - August 10th, 2020
- yEarn Expanding its Ecosystem to Bring in Hot DeFi Tokens into the Mix - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - August 10th, 2020
- What is the current state of the UAE's startup ecosystem? - Gulf Business News - August 10th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact & Recovery Analysis - Commercial Vehicle Advanced Emergency Braking System (AEBS) Market (2020-2024) | Integration of Advanced... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Connected Cow and Farm Market Report 2020: Market Size, Forecasts, Insights and Opportunities to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Alabama Mercedes plant among first in world to use innovative production system - Alabama NewsCenter - August 8th, 2020
- Enhanced efficiency thanks to new family of applications: Digital Mercedes-Benz production ecosystem MO360: global production networked in real time -... - August 8th, 2020
- Peril in the hills: Extreme weather a danger for Nilgiri ecosystem - Down To Earth Magazine - August 8th, 2020
- IPL returns but will be played in UAE; Indian cricket ecosystem loses out - The Times of India Blog - August 8th, 2020
- The Giant Panda Is a Conservation Icon, But The Success Story Masks a Dark Truth - ScienceAlert - August 7th, 2020
- This mobile game lets you build ecosystems that will help solve real-world ecological problems - Fast Company - August 7th, 2020
- BigPanda Invests in Partner Ecosystem to Deliver on Customer Demand for Improved IT Operations - GlobeNewswire - August 7th, 2020
- The IoT Community Internet of Things Community Announces Phizzle Has Joined Its Elite IoT Ecosystem as a Gold Level Corporate Member - Business Wire - August 7th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Clinical Trial Management System Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR of Almost 11% Through 2020-2024 | Increasing Outsourcing of... - August 7th, 2020
- The AR/VR ecosystem Are we there yet? - VentureBeat - August 4th, 2020
- Spixii Joins Duck Creek Technologies Partner Ecosystem, Offering Award-Winning Claim Solution to Deliver on Customer Expectations at the Moment of... - August 4th, 2020
- DIY phishing kits dissected: Organizations urged to tackle the underground ecosystem that democratized cybercrime - The Daily Swig - August 4th, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on The Wearable Technology Ecosystem Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2018 to 2030... - August 4th, 2020
- India Gaming Summit 2020: How Dream11 plans to build the esports ecosystem from the bottoms up - The Financial Express - August 4th, 2020
- Huawei Ecosystem has gone beyond the heights with 1.6 M Global Developers - - Technology Times Pakistan - August 4th, 2020
- Opinion | How to make online payments bustle with competition - Livemint - August 4th, 2020
- Building ecosystems is hard. Auditing them is worse. - Stacey on IoT - August 4th, 2020
- AB 3030 fails to recognize marine protections that exists in California - CALmatters - August 4th, 2020
- VoLTE (Voice over LTE) Ecosystem Industry Market Professional Survey 2020 by Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Trends, Types and Applications, Forecast to... - August 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Global Automotive Intelligent Door System Market will Accelerate at a CAGR of almost 12% through 2020-2024|Growing Demand for... - August 4th, 2020
- Podcast: CLUECON SPECIAL FEATURE OrecX not only delivers top shelf stereo recording, but delivers a huge ecosystem of add on technology that may... - August 4th, 2020
- Singapore Launches SGGA To Create A Sustainable And Inclusive Ecosystem for Gaming and Esports. - IGN Southeast Asia - August 4th, 2020