Matthias Maedge, IRUs General Delegate to the EU, explores how innovation is shaping the safety of current and future road systems, and the challenges that must be overcome in order for the industry to progress.
Over the past decade alone, technology has revolutionised the way we live our lives. Today, cloud computing, big data analytics and digital-first consumer experiences are part of our everyday routines. Road transport has been no exception to the innovation revolution. Whilst autonomous vehicles and flying taxis have been catching the attention of global media, many of the areas where innovation has had the biggest impact in road transport have been in relation to safety.
Safety is the number one priority for the road transport industry but there remain a number of challenges we must overcome. Every year, between 1.25 and 1.5 million people die on the roads around the world. In 2017, 88 per cent of American truckers had their safety threatened and IRU research shows that, in Europe, one out of every four drivers has been a victim of violence or an attack.
One of the biggest opportunities for improving operations in the road transport industry comes from innovation, with the aid of new technologies.Technology is disrupting industries worldwide, providing solutions to make processes more time and cost efficient, and offering new ways of solving problems.
Transport companies and operators alike recognise that embracing and investing in technology will bring significant improvements and benefits. In fact, IRU global research carried out last year revealed that one in three (33 per cent)transportcompaniesworldwide believe that improving safety will be the biggest opportunity brought about by innovation.
There are already a number of examples of innovations within our grasp, which can help us make the sector safer and more attractive:
By investing in upgrading in-vehicle technology such as anti-collision braking, route planners, smart tachographs and increased use of automated systems, we can ensure vehicles become much safer. This is an area where many operators throughout Europe are already investing.
As well as enhancing vehicles, technology can also be used to help improve driver lifestyle and drive efficiencies indirectly. In logistics, Lithuanian company Girteka Logistics is investing in tablets for truck drivers to allow them to store importantinformation(such as licenses and tachograph details) for journeys. This reduces the time they have to spend at border checks and controls, therefore reducing driver stress and tiredness.
We can invest in certification, embracing the very latest driver training technologies to improve skillsdevelopment. This will make the industry not only safer but more professional, helping to encourage more potential entrants into the profession. IRU has been working in this area since May 2019, partnering with leading Spanish operator ALSA, to implement a computer-based assessment programme for use with its drivers.
Of course, when discussing innovation in the road transport industry, we cannot overlook the opportunities offered by automation. As the reality of driverless vehicles comes ever closer, we are already seeing pieces of the automation puzzle fall into place. This includes technologies such as anti-collision breaking, which are being rolled out and improving road safety today.
There are nonetheless significant barriers that the industry will have to overcome, before autonomous vehicles can become widespread. One main challenge lies in user acceptance: ensuring we have the trust, support and understanding of other road users and the general public. As well as regulatory and infrastructure developments, public education campaigns will be a necessity for the roll out of driver-less vehicles.
To help ensure automated technologies are deployed in a coordinated and harmonised manner, the European Commission has set up ARCADE, a three-year EU-funded project. IRUs role in this project is to identify challenges and potential future societal scenarios for connected and automated vehicles. By bringing stakeholders together in this way, we can ensure that all feel the benefits of automation, including improvements to safety.
Embracing technological innovation in the short term will naturally modernise the industry and make it safer. Roadtransportmust develop as demand grows. Yet again, technology will have an important role to play in the longer term, with emerging innovations such as platooning systems.
In order to harness the opportunities offered by innovation, we need every stakeholder in the sector to work together, but it will take time and buy-in from everyone, including governments and regulators who must ensure the industry has the legislative and regulatory environment to make the required changes. Technology and innovation have proven to bring widespread benefits to road transport, but these benefits will only be achievable when the opportunities are accessible to all players within the industry, however big or small.
Matthias Maedge is General Delegate of the IRU Permanent Delegation to the EU. His vision is to further increase IRUs voice for commercial road transport in Europe and ensure the industry is ready for the challenges and opportunities ahead. Prior to joining IRU, Matthias spent 10 years in the vehicle and energy industry, including as Secretary General of the Natural Gas Vehicle Association (NCGVA). Matthias previously worked in the German parliament and started his professional career as an Officer in the German army.
- CDFW Awards $37 Million for Ecosystem and Watershed Restoration, Protection and Scientific Study Projects - CDFW News - March 26th, 2020
- Here's how healthcare can build effective ecosystem for innovation, entrepreneurship - India Today - March 26th, 2020
- Neo Foundation unlocks 1.66 million NEO to fund development of ecosystem - NEO News Today - March 26th, 2020
- Sony expands its Smart Agriculture Solution ecosystem - Successful Farming - March 26th, 2020
- Madrid: A city turning eco-fictions into eco-futures through systems innovation - Daily Planet` - March 26th, 2020
- Pablo Escobar's Cocaine Hippos Are Filling Ecosystem Roles in Colombia That Have Been Vacant for Thousands of - Gizmodo - March 26th, 2020
- On The Bench Moves Swiftly to Support the HubSpot Business Ecosystem Putting its Commercial Activity on Hold in the Wake of Coronavirus Disruption -... - March 26th, 2020
- Certain Individual Fish Contribute Far More to Ecosystem Health than Others, Research Shows - Earth Island Journal - March 26th, 2020
- Investing in the Airport Ecosystem: Prospects and Risks - JD Supra - March 26th, 2020
- Breaking Down The Disinformation Ecosystem Around Coronavirus - Newsy - March 26th, 2020
- Duff & Phelps analyses impact of Covid-19 on the value of IPL ecosystem - Best Media Info - March 26th, 2020
- Jack Liu on how Bitcoin SV is changing the payments ecosystem - CoinGeek - March 26th, 2020
- Deepwater Horizon and the Rise of the Omics - Eos - March 26th, 2020
- Tracking app to thermal camera, Indian startup ecosystem is coming together to fight Covid 19 - Economic Times - March 26th, 2020
- Initiative to foster growth of Bangladeshs impact ecosystem launched - The Financial Express BD - March 21st, 2020
- HTC Conducts Its First Virtual "VIVE Ecosystem Conference" (VEC) fully in VR Allowing Global Attendees to Join Virtual Sessions - PRNewswire - March 21st, 2020
- Heres A Look Inside HTCs In-VR Vive Conference, Running This Week - UploadVR - March 21st, 2020
- Navigating the sustainability ecosystem - Recycling Today - March 21st, 2020
- [Startup Bharat] CrAdLE is mentoring entrepreneurs to grow the ecosystem in Gujarat - YourStory - March 21st, 2020
- UTEP partners with City Accelerator to provide insights on El Paso Minority Business Ecosystem - El Paso Herald-Post - March 21st, 2020
- Singapore Emerges as the "Food Tech Ecosystem" of Asia - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine - March 21st, 2020
- IPL cancellation may lead to ecosystem value reducing by $700 mn to $1 bn: Duff & Phelps - TelevisionPost - March 21st, 2020
- HTC Just Hosted Is Vive Ecosystem Conference In Virtual Reality - Ubergizmo - March 21st, 2020
- Vietnams telco becomes latest member of i3forum dedicated to transforming the carrier ecosystem - Telemedia Online - March 21st, 2020
- W Energy Software's New Partner Ecosystem Accelerates Market Expansion and the Move from Legacy Solutions to the Cloud - Yahoo Finance - March 21st, 2020
- Will the Ecosystem Completely Change with Ethereum 2.0? - Crypto Daily - March 16th, 2020
- Pact inked to boost drone ecosystem - The Hindu - March 16th, 2020
- The Irish Banking Ecosystem, Interconnection and the Speed of Change - Finextra - March 16th, 2020
- The Impact of Automated Vehicles on the Transportation Ecosystem - MarketScale - March 16th, 2020
- Most Definitive & Accurate Study on The V2X (Vehicle-to-Everything) Communications Ecosystem: 2019 2030 Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies... - March 16th, 2020
- Trends driving the Thiamazole market in the digital ecosystem - 3rd Watch News - March 16th, 2020
- The road to the strategy on the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration - UN Environment - March 4th, 2020
- Northern Ireland litter's threat to ecosystem revealed - Newry Times - March 4th, 2020
- The particularities of the African ecommerce ecosystem - The Paypers - March 4th, 2020
- The death of the Democratic Party ecosystem - Washington Examiner - March 4th, 2020
- Individual behavior drives ecosystem function and the impacts of harvest - Science Advances - March 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 threatens to test information ecosystem as misinformation goes viral - Macau Business - March 4th, 2020
- The function of fire in the ecosystem - The Community News - March 4th, 2020
- Global Asset Tracking Market 2020-2025: Insights Into Technologies, Solutions, and the Ecosystem Including Major Players - GlobeNewswire - March 4th, 2020
- Johnson fast-tracks bid to solve Australia's player pathway crisis - SBS - The World Game - March 4th, 2020
- New Research from Farnell Reveals Strong Adoption of Artificial Intelligence within the Internet of Things Ecosystem - IoT Business News - March 4th, 2020
- Switzerland based AMNIS Partners with Ripple to Create an Ecosystem First - TWJ News - March 4th, 2020
- Help shape the strategy for the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration - Landscape News - March 4th, 2020
- Binghamton University research highlights ecosystem problems, can it be managed? - WBNG-TV - March 4th, 2020
- Fishing targets the 'super-urinators' that ecosystems need - Futurity: Research News - March 4th, 2020
- Houston needs to overcome its lack of density to continue to develop as an innovation ecosystem, says expert - InnovationMap - March 4th, 2020
- Pulse42: Mumbai's Tech Ecosystem's Break From The Hustle To Unwind - Inc42 Media - March 4th, 2020
- Alt Code Bengaluru is bringing together the healthcare ecosystem to solve India's biggest challenge - healthca - YourStory - March 4th, 2020
- Senet and T-Systems Partner to Deliver Ready-to-Use IoT Solution Bundles - IoT Business News - March 4th, 2020
- Herring River project will revive long-afflicted estuary ecosystem - Cape Cod Times - February 18th, 2020
- Strategic Analysis of Electric Vehicle Ecosystem in the United Kingdom, 2018-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 18th, 2020
- Governor's grizzly council makes tracks to Libby City Hall this month - The Western News - February 18th, 2020
- Explained: Mobile App Architecture - The Basis of App Ecosystem - Appinventiv - February 18th, 2020
- Balance Your Own Ecosystem in the Great Board Game Ecosystem - Paste Magazine - February 18th, 2020
- What are Bhutan's sacred forests worth? - Forests News, Center for International Forestry Research - February 18th, 2020
- Ecosystem Services Assessment of the Prins Hendrik Zanddijk - Dredging Today - February 18th, 2020
- ConsenSys Grants funds third cohort of projects to benefit the Ethereum ecosystem - CryptoNinjas - February 18th, 2020
- OIF Members to Showcase Innovation and Interoperability Solutions for the Industrys Most Critical Challenges at OFC 2020 - Yahoo Finance - February 18th, 2020
- JPMorgan Dipping its Toes into the Ethereum Ecosystem Could Be Bullish for ETH - newsBTC - February 18th, 2020
- Regenerative farming: how farmers can make the transition - The Poultry Site - February 18th, 2020
- Announced the Addition of New Statistical Data Titled as Embedded Computing Ecosystem Market 2020 by Growth, Demand & Opportunities & Forecast... - February 18th, 2020
- Here's how a visiting venture capitalist explores Houston's startup ecosystem for the first time - InnovationMap - February 18th, 2020
- On Apple's revenue warningJim Cramer and others weigh in - CNBC - February 18th, 2020
- Floating Farms May Help Reinvent the World's Food Ecosystems - WIRED - February 18th, 2020
- Italian carmaker Maserati to invest USD 1.29 billion to build an electric ecosystem - The New Indian Express - February 18th, 2020
- BitCherry To Build a Trusted Distributed Business Ecosystem - Coinspeaker - February 6th, 2020
- Building a Worker Co-op Ecosystem: Lessons from the Big Apple - Nonprofit Quarterly - February 6th, 2020
- Letters: Healthcare industry needs its own digital ecosystem - ModernHealthcare.com - February 6th, 2020
- The new financial ecosystem of big banks and big tech - ValueWalk - February 6th, 2020
- To protect ecosystem, improve balance on critical regulatory panel - theday.com - February 6th, 2020
- How to fall in love with the Apple ecosystem all over again -- spend more money and buy new stuff - ZDNet - February 6th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence requires trusted data, and a healthy DataOps ecosystem - ZDNet - February 6th, 2020
- Preserve the Sacred Lands of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem - CounterPunch - February 6th, 2020
- Organizations only protect 60% of their business ecosystem, Accenture finds - CIO Dive - February 6th, 2020
- IBM: building a digital ecosystem to support the mine of the future - Mining Global - Mining News, Magazine and Website - February 6th, 2020
- Structo Partners with Pro3dure to Extend applications in the Velox ecosystem - Manufactur3D - February 6th, 2020
- Epic and about 60 hospital chains come out against rules that would make it easier to share medical info - CNBC - February 6th, 2020
- [2020 Outlook] Indian startup ecosystem raring to break new ground in the new year - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- [2020 Outlook] What investors expect for the Indian startup ecosystem in the year ahead - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- Chuck Todd Finds All the Disinformation In 'Ecosystem Problem' on the Right - NewsBusters - January 2nd, 2020