This year has been tough for individuals, businesses, and entrepreneurs. And yet, many have not only survived but also thrived in this crisis.
On the sidelines of announcing the first cohort of the IFC and Stellaris Venture Partners programme, AI4Biz, focused on supporting early-stage AI-focused enterprise SaaS startups, Ruchira Shukla, Regional Lead, South Asia, Disruptive Technologies - Direct Equity and VC funds, IFC; and Alok Goyal Partner, Stellaris Venture Partners, speak about their lessons from 2020, and what they expect from startups in 2021.
Edited excerpts of the interview:
Ruchira Shukla (RS): For me, the big message that came out this year for the startup ecosystem is that it is a very resilient and robust ecosystem. If it can survive a pandemic, it can survive anything.
The startups have all come out stronger. They have kept going even in the worst situations. It hasnt mattered whether people have had to pitch to investors on a video call, or if they have had to relook at their business models, let go of important and talented people, and also keep the employees motivated.
There are companies that have taken on new businesses they never thought they would be in, and theyve been able to change the way solutions or services are offered. And investors still say they believe in India - both on a fund level and as limited partners (LP levels).
This tells you there is a strong promise in the Indian startup ecosystem, and we have proven that we can deliver results. In this backdrop, building a programme like AI4Biz has only been encouraging and positive.
Alok Goyal (AG): Resilience is a big takeaway for me. Apart from that, if you look at the macro-economic numbers, you realise that the economy has shrunk, but despite that, the startups have chugged ahead.
Alok Goyal, Partner, Stellaris Venture Partners
RS: I feel there is nothing worse than fear itself. In March, we were surrounded by fear, and we survived those few months and survived well. Many companies have reached their February numbers now, so in 2021, even with the unknowns, I dont think it will be worse than what weve seen.
Also, tech adoption has seen at least a three-to-four years jump across all sectors. We are at this onset of a mega trend, and best investor returns are generated when you spot a trend at the right time.
This is the time for AI for enterprise tech, there is a wide breadth of solutions across sectors. There is great scope for economic value creation and development. There will be improved access and affordability of services to segments of the population where the services are not available.
AG: We are still going through a period where the future is unpredictable, but there are some bits that leaves us optimistic. If these companies have navigated the way they have in the last nine months, we believe that 2021 should only be more positive. Despite the lockdowns, people have found ways to get going and working.
However, one thing that makes me cautious about 2021, and it is more from a lack of visibility perspective, is the macroeconomic impact of the last nine months. The form and shape next few years will take is an unknown.
But, early-stage tech will see secular growth, and I am optimistic about it.
AG: Apart from having to choose from over 108 applications, we were impressed by the use of AI and tech that these companies displayed. Almost all had expertise and experience in building AI that is beyond just a namesake value.
What is interesting is that India hasnt created that many infrastructure companies, these are softwares used by other developers. And yet, close to 20 percent companies were in that bucket. And in a new category like AI to have companies in the DevOps space is encouraging.
RS: I was pleasantly surprised by how smart the younger generation of founders and founding teams are. These founders bring a confluence of multiple skills that is hard to find in young people. They have a lot of technical depth and commercial prowess at the same time.
This means, apart from answering detailed questions on technology, the founders are able to cater to what the customers need, and they also know how to monetise, go-to-market etc. Everyone thinks practically about the customers problem, and have ambitions to sell their products within India and other markets.
Another important factor is the team chemistry, and we find that in young startups. Generally in young teams, this becomes a little choppy, but there is a comfort and ease of doing business.
AG: I would like to take a cricketing analogy. Prior to the Indian world cup win in 1983, if anyone would have said that India would win the world cup, they would have been termed as foolish. As until then we hadnt even made it to the semi-finals. But 1983 gave precedence, and players soon started joining the team to win the World Cup.
When you have precedence, the perspectives shift. So in the startup ecosystem context, today we have that precedence. Today, SaaS entrepreneurs are bold, and have a belief that didnt exist seven to eight years back.
RS: These are very positive events. Irrespective of where the exit is, if the fund is well known globally and has actively invested in India, and shows a positive outcome, it helps the ecosystem significantly.
It makes entrepreneurs believe that this can happen to us. Today, the world is flat, it doesnt matter if a large exit happened in India or elsewhere in the world, it happened in a model and business we understand. And we have parallels of the business in the country. It gives encouragement and makes people more determined in their own ways to deliver.
It also gives optimism to investors. A good exit is something most investors worry about and when these events happen, it sets a benchmark and belief that if we can grow our portfolios in the same way we can possibly achieve a similar result.
It is also a big positive for Softbank. These exits brings more capital into the country from them and others into the country. It is overall a positive thing.
AG: I think driving a startup is like driving into a tunnel. You dont know how long it is going to be, what are the twists and turns, and we drive into it because we believe in the light at the end of the tunnel.
These IPOs are super encouraging. It just isnt Softbank, even several late-stage investors from technology have seen exits. There is a belief that even the traditional investors are gravitating towards technology. This capital bodes well.
Also, I think that companies now want to remain private longer than they used to. When you look at Amazons IPO in 1997 versus companies that IPO today, the bar has shifted significantly. This means there is a need for more late-stage capital.
AG: For early-stage entrepreneurs, the time has never been better to be a tech entrepreneur from India. I am so encouraged by the resilience that the Indian entrepreneurial ecosystem has shown in 2020. I believe the worst is behind us, and there is a lot more fuel to help entrepreneurs realise their dreams. It is now important for entrepreneurs to follow their gut and follow their dreams.
RS: Go solve the tough problems. Entrepreneurs are ready and so is the market. There are team capabilities, market readiness, availability of capital, and cross country linkages. The perfect recipe is in place, you just need to put your force behind it and go solve the tougher problems.
- Atari: Results of the first half of 2020-2021 Paris Stock Exchange:ATA - GlobeNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- CME: The Benefits of More Automated FX Trade - finews.asia - February 17th, 2021
- RIOT GAMES, FREAKS 4U GAMING and SPORTFIVE partner up to produce and commercialize the 2021 VALORANT CHAMPIONS TOUR - European Gaming Industry News - February 17th, 2021
- A 'pop-up' airport for electric aircraft could transform the way we think about urban travel - CNBC - February 17th, 2021
- Neom's futuristic 'Line' in the sand is good news for Saudi Arabia's tech start-ups - Arab News - February 17th, 2021
- Biomass Utilization System Market Analysis 2021 to 2027 with Strategic Trends Growth, Revenue|KOBELCO ECO-SOLUTIONS, China Southern Power Grid,... - February 17th, 2021
- Why Investors Should Heed The African Tech Startups Devouring Consumer Finance - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- The New Zealand Merino Company Launches Apparel Industry's First 100% Regenerative Wool Platform in Partnership With Global Brands Allbirds,... - February 17th, 2021
- New #femaleboss project makes a stand for Scottish women in business - HeraldScotland - February 17th, 2021
- Plant safaris- the mystery and magic of the plant kingdom - Rising Sun Overport - February 17th, 2021
- A digital catch-22: after the crisis, who's betting on digital transformation? - USAPP American Politics and Policy (blog) - February 17th, 2021
- How Hotels And OTAs Can Prepare For The Post-Pandemic Future | By Andrew Gogus Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - February 17th, 2021
- La Liga side Athletic Bilbao hope to export their model globally including to India - The New Indian Express - February 17th, 2021
- Tackling Indonesias Poverty With Palm Oil - The ASEAN Post - February 17th, 2021
- Eos partners with US-based Kineticos to invest over 10M in early-stage Scottish life sciences startups - UKTN (UK Technology News - February 17th, 2021
- Wild Bicester on mission to boost wildlife in town - Oxford Mail - February 17th, 2021
- The deception of greenwashing in fast fashion - Down To Earth Magazine - February 17th, 2021
- Flying high: Naturalist charts transformation of Mar Lodge estate as wildlife haven reaches landmark in 200-year regeneration - The Sunday Post - February 17th, 2021
- Allbirds and Icebreaker back regenerative wool platform | Apparel Industry News | just-style - just-style.com - February 11th, 2021
- Let caterpillars nibble your leaves to create a healthier garden, advise the RHS - HouseBeautiful.com - February 11th, 2021
- Warning system, environment study may have prevented Uttarakhand tragedy - The Federal - February 11th, 2021
- 5G experimentation and security grows in govt, military sectors - Help Net Security - February 11th, 2021
- New Technology to Kill SARS Associated Human Coronavirus in the Air and on Surfaces - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Diversifying Nevada's Economy Might Take The Work Of Angels - KNPR - February 11th, 2021
- In the battle for the edge, 5G software is the Excalibur - Ericsson - February 11th, 2021
- Dow and Lucro to Launch PCR Plastics Solution in India - waste360 - February 11th, 2021
- Florida Family Finds Monster 16ft, 300lb Python On Their Property RM - TooFab - February 11th, 2021
- Document Security Systems, Inc., Coinstreet Partners and GSX Group Collaborate to Develop Digital Asset Exchange Business in the US - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- 5G and the digital cockpit Q&A with Harman - just-auto.com - February 11th, 2021
- Recent news in brief collected from around Mallorca - Euro Weekly News - February 11th, 2021
- COVID Has Reached Antarctica, and Scientists Are Extremely Concerned for Its Wildlife - EcoWatch - February 11th, 2021
- U.S. Subway Platforms Have Highly Polluted Air - EcoWatch - February 11th, 2021
- Urban Air Mobility Gets a Foot on the Ground with Coventry's Urban Air Port - Inside Unmanned Systems - February 11th, 2021
- Euronet Worldwide, Inc., Uses Its REN Ecosystem to Drive Digital Growth Strategy and Modernization of Payments Systems for Cosmos Bank in India -... - December 17th, 2020
- Learning Ecosystem: Why You Need One, How to Build It - ATD - December 17th, 2020
- VHA Innovation Ecosystem Taps MDClone to Leverage Synthetic Data for Faster Healthcare to Veterans - - HIT Consultant - December 17th, 2020
- FreedomPay and Sightline Payments Partner to Create World's First Cashless Ecosystem for Casinos, Resorts and Gaming Operators - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Leverage the Westcon-Comstor Services Bench partner ecosystem - ARNnet - December 17th, 2020
- Cybersecurity Stocktaking in the Connected and Automated Mobility Ecosystem - Lexology - December 17th, 2020
- MDClone Partners with VHA Innovation Ecosystem to Provide Better, Smarter, Faster Healthcare to U.S. Veterans - Business Wire - December 17th, 2020
- Open Mainframe Project Welcomes New Project Tessia, HCL Technologies and Red Hat to its Ecosystem - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Path of destruction: Road to Anjaneri hilltop could threaten fragile rocky outcrop ecosystem - Mongabay-India - December 17th, 2020
- Gotransverse Closes 2020 with Globalization, Business Intelligence, Ecosystem, and Personalization Features for Innovative Monetization Models -... - December 17th, 2020
- Accelerated digitalization, beefed-up edge among other key trends to watch across digital ecosystem in 2021 - Business Review - December 17th, 2020
- IBM outlines commitment to developing the Quantum ecosystem in India More than 1,400 students trained on Qis.. - ETCIO.com - December 17th, 2020
- CrossTower Added as Liquidity Source to the Blockfills ECN Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- code Talks: a podcast series on driving innovation with an open health care ecosystem - cerner.com - December 17th, 2020
- Building a Cost-Effective, High-Performing BI Ecosystem on the Cloud - Datanami - December 17th, 2020
- GPX India adds NIXI to the GPX Interconnection Ecosystem - Express Computer - December 17th, 2020
- Ecologists have studied the role carrion plays in the ecosystem of the Bavarian Forest National Park - India Education Diary - December 17th, 2020
- ICON blockchain expands DeFi ecosystem with ETH Orbit Bridge integration - CryptoNinjas - December 17th, 2020
- There's an ecosystem beneath your feetand it needs protection, new report says - Science Magazine - December 5th, 2020
- Apple M1 is the boost the Windows ecosystem needed: Qualcomm - ZDNet - December 5th, 2020
- An overview of key players in the private network ecosystem - RCR Wireless News - December 5th, 2020
- Polkadot Joins Hands with Chainlink to Overcome Decentralized Nature of Its... - Coinspeaker - December 5th, 2020
- Programme launched to strengthen tech ecosystem in Western Cape - - Ventureburn - December 5th, 2020
- Update on Intel's Neuromorphic Ecosystem Growth and Progress - Business Wire - December 5th, 2020
- Students are drawn into the ecosystem through real impact and relevant goals - not with Brainport-lingo - Innovation Origins - December 5th, 2020
- The Greater Data Ecosystem: Driving Decision-Making | Data & Data Analytics - Supply Chain Digital - The Procurement & Supply Chain Platform - December 5th, 2020
- How KubeLinter fits in the CNCF Ecosystem - Security Boulevard - December 5th, 2020
- Report finds the CSS ecosystem is going through a renewal with new features - SDTimes.com - December 5th, 2020
- The infrastructure of Kick Ecosystem - hackernoon.com - September 25th, 2020
- Humans Destroyed Intact Ecosystem Land the Size of Mexico in Just 13 Years - EcoWatch - September 25th, 2020
- This is the size of undisturbed ecosystems lost in 13 years - World Economic Forum - September 25th, 2020
- maurices Partners with TCS to Build Greenfield IT Ecosystem for its Growth and Transformation - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- Helping the UN Guide Ecosystem Restoration Into the Mainstream - CSRwire.com - September 25th, 2020
- Don't eat the rainforests: Top brands complicit in Indonesia's ecosystem destruction, probe alleges - Down To Earth Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- Colombia: Cross Border Tech Innovation and Ecosystem building - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- The DNS Ecosystem, Its Vulnerabilities, and Threat Mitigations - CircleID - September 25th, 2020
- Scaling Up The Start-up Ecosystem Recommendations Of Standing Committee On Finance - Finance and Banking - India - Mondaq News Alerts - September 25th, 2020
- VR AR Content Creation Ecosystem Market will Register a Significant CAGR During Period 2020-2026 | 18.5% CAGR| Know the Companies List Could... - September 25th, 2020
- Why the new farm Bills should excite the advertising ecosystem - Business Standard - September 25th, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - AiThority - September 4th, 2020
- Why Harmless Harvest takes an ecosystem-based approach to business - New Hope Network - September 4th, 2020
- An 'Ecosystem' Has Propelled NYC Life Sciences Over The Past 5 Years - Bisnow - September 4th, 2020
- BorgWarner expands collaboration with startup ecosystem Plug and Play - Automotive World - September 4th, 2020
- 'Drilling Would Have Devastating Impacts on This Fragile Ecosystem' - FAIR - September 4th, 2020
- Jellypipe launches its online AM ecosystem in the UK and Ireland - Metal Additive Manufacturing magazine - September 4th, 2020
- A Burgeoning Robotic Ecosystem Is Reshaping the Business Landscape - IoT World Today - September 4th, 2020
- New approach needed to protect health of Californias rivers - CALmatters - September 4th, 2020