At the time, the negative impact on global travel of the Great Recession in 2008, the Icelandic ash cloud in 2010 and, of course, 9/11, were considered 'unprecedented'. The ash cloud resulted in 95,000 flights being cancelled over five days, and 9/11 saw a ban on all civil air traffic from entering US air space for three days. However, that was BC (before COVID). It's been well over a year since the first case of COVID-19 was declared by China and it's only now that we are beginning to understand what 'unprecedented' really looks like.
In the US, the American Hotel and Lodging Association's 2021 State of the Industry report predicts that half of US properties will be booked out during 2021 and states that hotel employment will likely return to pre-pandemic levels within two years. Once the vaccination programme has been fully rolled out, hotel bookings are expected to rise in line with increasing consumer confidence.
In the UK, there's no doubt that, after months of being in lockdown, people are desperate to travel and, like the US, their propensity to do so is very much linked to the vaccine rollout and perhaps, as was the case last summer, we should expect the sector to return domestically first, with short-term rentals and self-catering accommodation proving especially popular.
The good news is people are booking holidays and there has been a noticeable increase in bookings for October (ie post vaccination programme), with agents also reporting an increase in holiday bookings for winter 2021, summer 2022 and even as far ahead as 2023.
If the outlook for leisure travel sounds unsettling, things are not better for the corporate travel sector. The GBTA's recent annual BTI Outlook revealed that business travel spend dropped by 77 percent in Western Europe as a result of COVID and the financial losses for 2020 are expected to be 'ten times larger than the impact of either 9/11 or the Great Recession of 2008'. The decline in spend between 1 April and the end of 2020 is expected to be 68 percent in Western Europe and 63 percent in Eastern Europe. Some industry experts are forecasting that it's unlikely business travel will return to prepandemic levels before 2025.
There is a chink of light at the end of the tunnel, however, as the report predicts a 21 percent increase in business travel spending for 2021, although most of this is expected to come in Q4 as vaccinations increase globally.
The continued rollout of the vaccine really will be central to recovery for the global travel industry. As at 12 Feb 2021, the UK had administered over 14 million first doses; approximately 20 per cent of the population. Over 50s are on track to be protected by May and everyone else by September.
So, the message for the hotel sector is 'don't stand still, it's more important than ever to look forward and plan for a future post-COVID'. To do this, hotels must be able to continue to manage cancellations effectively, encourage and facilitate rebookings, cut costs and increase their discoverability, availability and 'book-ability' in real time.
One huge issue to address now is the mismatch between hotel supply and demand as this will affect the future success and profitability of hotels post-COVID. Of the 15 million accommodations worldwide, 14 million (93%) are not available to book online in real time, which means hoteliers, online travel agents (OTA) and guests are all missing out.
Without an online presence, those 14 million accommodations have limited visibility and discoverability, particularly beyond their local market. For millions, their rates and availability are managed manually and not in real time and they are not benefiting from instant, last minute and long-term bookings.
Before the pandemic, Euromonitor International predicted that 44 per cent of travel bookings would be digital in 2020. 80 per cent of 2019 hotel bookings by travellers under 30 were made online. This really highlights why hotels must start leveraging technology if they are to both survive and grow. The challenge they face is a very fragmented tech market - solutions are complex, expensive, not scalable and not connected - which is why transitioning to managing and accepting real time online payments worldwide remains a huge problem.
The hotel supply/demand mismatch causes equally frustrating challenges for OTAs. A lack of inventory, compared to global availability, reduces choice for travellers and means OTAs are competing for customers with the same, relatively small, product offering.
Plus, 70% of the inventory on the world's biggest OTAs - Booking.com, Expedia, etc - is still not connected in real time, despite statistics proving that connected properties drive the best revenues. On average, 70% of an OTA's revenue comes from its connected properties, which account for just 30% of its inventory, and revenue from those connected properties can be 500% more than from unconnected ones.
So why don't OTAs simply add more inventory to their offering? The economics of visiting long-tail properties for acquisition, especially in emerging markets, just doesn't stack up. And, even when they do contract small properties, it can be difficult to engage and manage them without the right automation and tech stack.
Customers are losing out through lack of choice, convenience and information - aka online booking anxiety. Travellers don't always want to stay with big chains or corporate hotels, they may prefer places that reflect the local area, and these properties are difficult to find and book online.
There are often price and information discrepancies between the OTAs and the hotels that are online, which can lead to confusion and mistrust among guests. Plus, paying online isn't always possible as many hotels are unable to accept real time online payments through their own websites.
So, what's the answer? Simply, OTAs need to be able to find hotels and hotels need to be able to find OTAs because sustainable and scalable supply acquisition, distribution and engagement drives incremental revenue growth for both. Of course, it's not that simple, because the booking chain is very crowded and there are many intermediaries slashing away at profit margins from both sides.
Well, there is. It's called HotelRunner. Listed by WIRED magazine as one of Europe's 100 Hottest Startups two years in a row, travel tech startup HotelRunner is a VC-backed, global sales management and distribution platform for OTAs, hotels and payment providers to 'find, contract, connect, and transact with each other'. Operating a freemium business model, it's the first peer to peer networked marketplace for the sector with over 41,000 accommodation providers registered on the platform in 193 countries: exactly like a dating app for hotels and OTAs.
Alongside connectivity services, HotelRunner provides all types of accommodations with a hotel website, built-in themes, integrated booking engine, property management, call centre, rate intelligence, mobile app, guest relationship and online payment management tools, as well as property management systems integrations.
HotelRunner is also a Booking.com Premier Connectivity Partner, Booking.com Top Connectivity Performer for 2018, Airbnb Software Partner, Agoda Innovative Supplier, Oracle Gold, Hotelbeds Strategic Partner and Google Hotel Ads Partner.
With the ability to plug hotels into OTAs and create their online presence - including website and booking engine - within seven minutes using its self-service platform, HotelRunner has been helping 41,000+ independent hotels and chains to survive COVID and combat the supply and demand mismatch by increasing their visibility.
Hotels of any size are invited to join the platform for free, paying just 1% commission on bookings and this affordability has proven critical says Co-founder and Managing Partner Arden Agopyan, as hotels continue to look for ways they can cut costs but still reach customers in the face of the pandemic.
"We've never been busier as we've been desperately trying to help the global hotel economy fight back over the last 12 months," he said. "Hotels urgently need to manage overheads and, as most of our software is free - website, booking engine for hotels, and part of the channel manager - we've become a go-to provider for them. We've been onboarding hundreds of new hotels from all over the world, from Mexico to Indonesia, and even more infected areas like Italy and Spain."
With hotels and travel agencies having to deal with an influx of cancellations over the last 12 months, HotelRunner has been helping to simplify this process by allowing hotels to manage cancellations and take advantage of the uptick for the rise in long-term bookings and the interest in domestic holidays that was mentioned earlier.
A huge plus for hoteliers is the ability to use HotelRunner to connect to multiple channels/booking extranets through one central solution, allowing them to manage their inventory, availability, reservations and payments in real time, often leading to improved customer experience, trust, reviews and sales. Hoteliers also have access to a mobile app to manage the business on-the-go as managers of small properties are frequently multi-taskers.
For OTAs, HotelRunner offers an affordable, scalable solution to adding real time, global inventory to their online offering, HotelRunner Connect, which has proven popular among leading global OTAs including Booking.com, Agoda, Hotelbeds and Ostrovok for several years.
"We've been a trusted advisor to OTAs for many years, including sitting on the Booking.com Connectivity Advisory Board for Hotels since 2018," said Agopyan. "In that time, we've shared our insights, innovations and tactics to overcome industry challenges and this has shaped many innovations to better support our own customers."
Viewing itself as a platform and network rather than a software provider, HotelRunner provides OTAs with a direct connection to reach out to an eco-system of hotels that would not be economical for them to find themselves. In the past, the team has even connected OTAs to hotels in their home cities and countries. It has also recently acquired a company in Turkey (RateFor), which is part of its strategy to offer a complete tech stack for hotels, including property management and rate intelligence and comparison.
Keen to stress that HotelRunner is not just for leisure travel, Arden points out that the 50+-strong team is also working with corporate travel agencies and B2C players and can manage both B2C and B2C rates for suppliers. The startup is also in discussion with offline travel agencies.
"The number of offline travel agents has dropped rapidly over the years as online bookings have soared, and COVID has accelerated that decline," said Agopyan. "I predict that many of them will die - and soon - unless they act now and digitise. We are already piloting technology that will help and intend to launch our offline travel agency support this year."
Further down the eco chain, HotelRunner offers choice, convenience and reassurance to travellers.
"When guests see "Powered by HotelRunner" on a hotel's booking engine or website, it's reassuring and instils trust: it means the hotel is managing its rates and availability and that it processes payments securely," explained Co-founder and Managing Partner Ali Beklen.
"There is also the added convenience of access to long term availability, reassurance there are no rate or information discrepancies with the OTAs, and minimised double-booking and over-booking risks. HotelRunner hotel websites and booking engines have also been designed to display the COVID-19 related precautions and measures hotels are taking, which is so critical right now."
As highlighted in the introduction, exactly when travel will return to pre-pandemic levels is difficult to call but we do know that legislation and consumer confidence are both inextricably linked to the success of the global vaccine rollout.
"We are optimistic that recovery will happen quicky once the virus is under control, and when it does, we will see a new travel industry emerge. We are forecasting a continued rise in digital bookings with hotels introduce more flexible booking policies."
Those hotels that improve their guest communication and experience with Guest Relationship Management (GRM) and Extras Management will be the ones that stay one step ahead, claims Beklen.
"Just like many other hotel management software providers, our main opportunities this year include increasing accommodation sales performance with autonomous features, and onboarding and engagement with seamless integration experience, auto-payment processing, PMS, contactless and mobile applications. The next step is to increase our total transaction value by connecting with more unconnected properties. And finally, hotel management software providers must increase their content quality through their certified partner ecosystem because, no matter how good you are at what you are doing, you need to be able to present it well."
"We provide scalable zero-touch direct contracting and connectivity for the long-tail which helps the industry to unlock new revenue streams that are desperately needed especially after COVID, and in five years from now, we will be working with at least 1 million accommodations, will be known throughout the travel industry as the go-to supply network, and (assuming it's open) will have processed the first booking for the first hotel on Mars."
HotelRunner is a distribution platform and B2B network for accommodations and travel agencies to find, contract, connect and transact with each other online.
HotelRunner helps accommodations transition their sales and operations from off to online, maximizing their online visibility through a very user-friendly self-service platform and with a freemium business model.
HotelRunner provides a complete online sales and distribution management platform for all types of accommodations - including a direct web booking engine, a 2-way channel manager integrated with 150+ online/offline travel agencies, metasearch, wholesalers, and GDS, as well as a sophisticated multilingual website content management system, front-desk and call center management, guest relationship management, reporting, payment collection, and promotion tools.
HotelRunner, with its HotelRunner Connect division, provides supply acquisition and contracting, automated on-boarding and account opening, engagement, performance benchmarking and reporting, and commission collection services for travel agencies, travel technology providers, and payment systems.
HotelRunner is present in 193 countries with 40,000+ accommodations registered to the platform, also partnering with 150+ online/offline travel agencies, metasearch, wholesalers, and GDS as well as payment systems. HotelRunner is Booking.com Premier Connectivity Partner, Booking.com Top Connectivity Performer for 2018, Airbnb Preferred Software Partner, Agoda Innovative Supplier, Oracle Gold, and Google Hotel Ads Partner.
Follow us:Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/company/hotelrunner Twitter: @HotelRunnerFacebook: HotelRunnerInstagram: @hotelrunner
Continue reading here:
- Atari: Results of the first half of 2020-2021 Paris Stock Exchange:ATA - GlobeNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- CME: The Benefits of More Automated FX Trade - finews.asia - February 17th, 2021
- RIOT GAMES, FREAKS 4U GAMING and SPORTFIVE partner up to produce and commercialize the 2021 VALORANT CHAMPIONS TOUR - European Gaming Industry News - February 17th, 2021
- A 'pop-up' airport for electric aircraft could transform the way we think about urban travel - CNBC - February 17th, 2021
- Neom's futuristic 'Line' in the sand is good news for Saudi Arabia's tech start-ups - Arab News - February 17th, 2021
- Biomass Utilization System Market Analysis 2021 to 2027 with Strategic Trends Growth, Revenue|KOBELCO ECO-SOLUTIONS, China Southern Power Grid,... - February 17th, 2021
- Why Investors Should Heed The African Tech Startups Devouring Consumer Finance - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- The New Zealand Merino Company Launches Apparel Industry's First 100% Regenerative Wool Platform in Partnership With Global Brands Allbirds,... - February 17th, 2021
- New #femaleboss project makes a stand for Scottish women in business - HeraldScotland - February 17th, 2021
- Plant safaris- the mystery and magic of the plant kingdom - Rising Sun Overport - February 17th, 2021
- A digital catch-22: after the crisis, who's betting on digital transformation? - USAPP American Politics and Policy (blog) - February 17th, 2021
- La Liga side Athletic Bilbao hope to export their model globally including to India - The New Indian Express - February 17th, 2021
- Tackling Indonesias Poverty With Palm Oil - The ASEAN Post - February 17th, 2021
- Eos partners with US-based Kineticos to invest over 10M in early-stage Scottish life sciences startups - UKTN (UK Technology News - February 17th, 2021
- Wild Bicester on mission to boost wildlife in town - Oxford Mail - February 17th, 2021
- The deception of greenwashing in fast fashion - Down To Earth Magazine - February 17th, 2021
- Flying high: Naturalist charts transformation of Mar Lodge estate as wildlife haven reaches landmark in 200-year regeneration - The Sunday Post - February 17th, 2021
- Allbirds and Icebreaker back regenerative wool platform | Apparel Industry News | just-style - just-style.com - February 11th, 2021
- Let caterpillars nibble your leaves to create a healthier garden, advise the RHS - HouseBeautiful.com - February 11th, 2021
- Warning system, environment study may have prevented Uttarakhand tragedy - The Federal - February 11th, 2021
- 5G experimentation and security grows in govt, military sectors - Help Net Security - February 11th, 2021
- New Technology to Kill SARS Associated Human Coronavirus in the Air and on Surfaces - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Diversifying Nevada's Economy Might Take The Work Of Angels - KNPR - February 11th, 2021
- In the battle for the edge, 5G software is the Excalibur - Ericsson - February 11th, 2021
- Dow and Lucro to Launch PCR Plastics Solution in India - waste360 - February 11th, 2021
- Florida Family Finds Monster 16ft, 300lb Python On Their Property RM - TooFab - February 11th, 2021
- Document Security Systems, Inc., Coinstreet Partners and GSX Group Collaborate to Develop Digital Asset Exchange Business in the US - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- 5G and the digital cockpit Q&A with Harman - just-auto.com - February 11th, 2021
- Recent news in brief collected from around Mallorca - Euro Weekly News - February 11th, 2021
- COVID Has Reached Antarctica, and Scientists Are Extremely Concerned for Its Wildlife - EcoWatch - February 11th, 2021
- U.S. Subway Platforms Have Highly Polluted Air - EcoWatch - February 11th, 2021
- Urban Air Mobility Gets a Foot on the Ground with Coventry's Urban Air Port - Inside Unmanned Systems - February 11th, 2021
- Euronet Worldwide, Inc., Uses Its REN Ecosystem to Drive Digital Growth Strategy and Modernization of Payments Systems for Cosmos Bank in India -... - December 17th, 2020
- Learning Ecosystem: Why You Need One, How to Build It - ATD - December 17th, 2020
- VHA Innovation Ecosystem Taps MDClone to Leverage Synthetic Data for Faster Healthcare to Veterans - - HIT Consultant - December 17th, 2020
- FreedomPay and Sightline Payments Partner to Create World's First Cashless Ecosystem for Casinos, Resorts and Gaming Operators - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- If the startup ecosystem can survive a pandemic, it can survive anything - Ruchira Shukla and Alok Goyal - YourStory - December 17th, 2020
- Leverage the Westcon-Comstor Services Bench partner ecosystem - ARNnet - December 17th, 2020
- Cybersecurity Stocktaking in the Connected and Automated Mobility Ecosystem - Lexology - December 17th, 2020
- MDClone Partners with VHA Innovation Ecosystem to Provide Better, Smarter, Faster Healthcare to U.S. Veterans - Business Wire - December 17th, 2020
- Open Mainframe Project Welcomes New Project Tessia, HCL Technologies and Red Hat to its Ecosystem - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Path of destruction: Road to Anjaneri hilltop could threaten fragile rocky outcrop ecosystem - Mongabay-India - December 17th, 2020
- Gotransverse Closes 2020 with Globalization, Business Intelligence, Ecosystem, and Personalization Features for Innovative Monetization Models -... - December 17th, 2020
- Accelerated digitalization, beefed-up edge among other key trends to watch across digital ecosystem in 2021 - Business Review - December 17th, 2020
- IBM outlines commitment to developing the Quantum ecosystem in India More than 1,400 students trained on Qis.. - ETCIO.com - December 17th, 2020
- CrossTower Added as Liquidity Source to the Blockfills ECN Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- code Talks: a podcast series on driving innovation with an open health care ecosystem - cerner.com - December 17th, 2020
- Building a Cost-Effective, High-Performing BI Ecosystem on the Cloud - Datanami - December 17th, 2020
- GPX India adds NIXI to the GPX Interconnection Ecosystem - Express Computer - December 17th, 2020
- Ecologists have studied the role carrion plays in the ecosystem of the Bavarian Forest National Park - India Education Diary - December 17th, 2020
- ICON blockchain expands DeFi ecosystem with ETH Orbit Bridge integration - CryptoNinjas - December 17th, 2020
- There's an ecosystem beneath your feetand it needs protection, new report says - Science Magazine - December 5th, 2020
- Apple M1 is the boost the Windows ecosystem needed: Qualcomm - ZDNet - December 5th, 2020
- An overview of key players in the private network ecosystem - RCR Wireless News - December 5th, 2020
- Polkadot Joins Hands with Chainlink to Overcome Decentralized Nature of Its... - Coinspeaker - December 5th, 2020
- Programme launched to strengthen tech ecosystem in Western Cape - - Ventureburn - December 5th, 2020
- Update on Intel's Neuromorphic Ecosystem Growth and Progress - Business Wire - December 5th, 2020
- Students are drawn into the ecosystem through real impact and relevant goals - not with Brainport-lingo - Innovation Origins - December 5th, 2020
- The Greater Data Ecosystem: Driving Decision-Making | Data & Data Analytics - Supply Chain Digital - The Procurement & Supply Chain Platform - December 5th, 2020
- How KubeLinter fits in the CNCF Ecosystem - Security Boulevard - December 5th, 2020
- Report finds the CSS ecosystem is going through a renewal with new features - SDTimes.com - December 5th, 2020
- The infrastructure of Kick Ecosystem - hackernoon.com - September 25th, 2020
- Humans Destroyed Intact Ecosystem Land the Size of Mexico in Just 13 Years - EcoWatch - September 25th, 2020
- This is the size of undisturbed ecosystems lost in 13 years - World Economic Forum - September 25th, 2020
- maurices Partners with TCS to Build Greenfield IT Ecosystem for its Growth and Transformation - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- Helping the UN Guide Ecosystem Restoration Into the Mainstream - CSRwire.com - September 25th, 2020
- Don't eat the rainforests: Top brands complicit in Indonesia's ecosystem destruction, probe alleges - Down To Earth Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- Colombia: Cross Border Tech Innovation and Ecosystem building - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- The DNS Ecosystem, Its Vulnerabilities, and Threat Mitigations - CircleID - September 25th, 2020
- Scaling Up The Start-up Ecosystem Recommendations Of Standing Committee On Finance - Finance and Banking - India - Mondaq News Alerts - September 25th, 2020
- VR AR Content Creation Ecosystem Market will Register a Significant CAGR During Period 2020-2026 | 18.5% CAGR| Know the Companies List Could... - September 25th, 2020
- Why the new farm Bills should excite the advertising ecosystem - Business Standard - September 25th, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - AiThority - September 4th, 2020
- Why Harmless Harvest takes an ecosystem-based approach to business - New Hope Network - September 4th, 2020
- An 'Ecosystem' Has Propelled NYC Life Sciences Over The Past 5 Years - Bisnow - September 4th, 2020
- BorgWarner expands collaboration with startup ecosystem Plug and Play - Automotive World - September 4th, 2020
- 'Drilling Would Have Devastating Impacts on This Fragile Ecosystem' - FAIR - September 4th, 2020
- Jellypipe launches its online AM ecosystem in the UK and Ireland - Metal Additive Manufacturing magazine - September 4th, 2020
- A Burgeoning Robotic Ecosystem Is Reshaping the Business Landscape - IoT World Today - September 4th, 2020
- New approach needed to protect health of Californias rivers - CALmatters - September 4th, 2020