Share this Article
You are free to share this article under the Attribution 4.0 International license.
Highly active individuals deemed super-urinators are key to maintaining ecosystem health, research in Bahamian mangrove estuaries finds.
The study finds that the individual gray and cubera snappers that spent the most time swimming and foraging for food also spread the highest levels of the essential nutrient nitrogen throughout the estuary in their urine.
The excretory contributions of the most active individuals nearly doubled the total amount of nitrogen that would otherwise be present in the ecosystem. That extra fertilizer means more plant growth and more food at the base of the food web.
In any population, the behavior of key individuals can have outsized impacts on their ecosystemthink Steve Jobs, says marine ecologist Jacob Allgeier, assistant professor in the department of ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of Michigan. Quantifying the behavior of key individuals in wild populations is an emerging frontier in ecology, with the potential to upend how we define biodiversity and our attempts to conserve it.
Allgeier is the lead author of a paper in Science Advances that reports the findings of a study that radio-tracked 33 gray snappers and 25 cuberas in a mangrove-lined estuary on Abaco Island in the Bahamas in 2006 and 2007.
A larger study will radio-track about 500 Abaco Island fish to learn more about their feeding behavior.
The big-picture goal of that research is to understand how an unlikely but renewable source of fertilizerfish excretioncan be used to stimulate fish production and improve food security for people living in tropical ecosystems.
In Science Advances, Allgeier and his colleagues report that while the most active snappers had an outsized impact on ecosystem health, they were also the most likely to be caught by anglers, who prize their bold behavior and fight.
Gray and cubera snapper support important commercial and subsistence fisheries throughout the Caribbean and are traditionally harvested by spearfishing and angling with hook and line. Spearfishing typically targets fish with large body size, while angling tends to select for bolder or more active individuals.
Allgeier and his colleagues used computer models to simulate the harvest of various types of individuals and found that the selective removal of the most active snappers reduced the nitrogen supply in the ecosystem by up to 69%.
Our results challenge the species-centric definition of biodiversity and provide evidence that the role of individuals may need to be further reconciled in how we approach conservation and the maintenance of ecosystem function, Allgeier and his coauthors write.
For the study, the researchers surgically implanted transmitters into fish body cavities, and nine receivers were scattered throughout the study site. The researchers used acoustic telemetry data and mathematical models to estimate the amount of nitrogen individual fish supplied and the extent to which they spread the nutrient across the ecosystem.
They found that the amount of nitrogen supplied by the two snapper populationsexcreted through their gills as ammoniumwas roughly equivalent to all other nitrogen sources combined. And the most active fish contributed the most nitrogen.
In the mangrove estuaries that we studied, we show that there is roughly double the amount of fertilizer in the ecosystem due to individuals that are disproportionate fertilizers, Allgeier says. We then show that fishing specifically selects for these extra-important individuals, which in turn has disproportionately negative effects on the ecosystem.
In the study of infectious diseases, individuals who demonstrate a high ability to infect othersthink Typhoid Maryare called super-spreaders. Before this concept emerged, it had long been assumed that all infected individuals had equal chances of transmitting an infection to others.
Similarly, in the management of fish and game populations, it was long assumed that individuals within populations are roughly equivalent and that the loss of any single individual has similar impacts on the ecosystem, Allgeier says. But the diversity among individuals within a single population is now a topic of growing research interest.
Allgeier refers to the overachieving fish in the Bahamian mangrove estuaries as disproportionate fertilizers. For simplicitys sake, you can think of them as super-urinators.
Over the past decade, Allgeier and his colleagues have glued together thousands of cinder blocks to create 38 artificial reefs in a shallow bay on Abaco Island in the northern Bahamas, where the research takes place.
Coauthors of the paper are from the University of Michigan, Utah State University, Eco Logical Research Inc., North Carolina State University, and the University of Washington.
Funding for the work came from the National Science Foundation. A grant from the Packard Foundation will support future research on super-urinators and their ecosystems.
Source: University of Michigan
See more here:
- Need to monitor Chinas role in Indian ecosystem - The Tribune India - May 15th, 2020
- Sharp and the 8K Ecosystem - Display Daily - May 15th, 2020
- Huawei Partners With Carmakers to Build 5G-Enabled Automobile Ecosystem - Caixin Global - May 15th, 2020
- Cyberbank Group Expand New Cloud-Based Digital Asset Solutions - Yahoo Finance - May 15th, 2020
- Key drivers changing the banking ecosystem landscape - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - May 15th, 2020
- Articles - The power of the ecosystem - Actuarial Post - May 15th, 2020
- Mobile Phone Insurance Ecosystem Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 15th, 2020
- Atari Teams Up with Arkane Network to Integrate the Atari Token Across Digital Entertainment Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - May 15th, 2020
- How Coronavirus Is Impacting The V2X (Vehicle-to-Everything) Communications Ecosystem: 2019 2030 3w Market News Reports - 3rd Watch News - May 15th, 2020
- Microsoft announces definitive agreement to acquire Metaswitch Networks, expanding approach to empower operators and partner with network equipment... - May 15th, 2020
- Privacy And Information Are The New Cloud Currency And Google Owns The Mint - Forbes - May 15th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on the World's Cybersecurity Industry, Major Verticals, Regions and Key Vendors (2019-2021): Optimistic/as-is/Pessimistic Scenarios... - May 15th, 2020
- Is Ethereum 2.0 really the next big wave in the crypto-ecosystem? - AMBCrypto - May 15th, 2020
- Review of Facing the Anthropocene: Fossil Capitalism and the Crisis of the Earth System - Resilience - May 11th, 2020
- Analysis: Hellish reality of modern information ecosystem presents particular danger during pandemic - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- MOXY Is A Non-Partisan Online Ecosystem To Inform And Engage You In Politics - Android Headlines - May 11th, 2020
- Humio Joins the IBM Edge Ecosystem to Bring Real-Time Insights to Organizations Deploying Edge Computing - DevOps.com - May 11th, 2020
- Square Still Represents a Very Attractive Investment - TheStreet - May 11th, 2020
- Pakistan is one of the fastest emerging startup ecosystem in Asia, McKinsey & Co - Technology Times Pakistan - May 11th, 2020
- Revealed: Plants Molecular Alarm System That Protects Them From Predators - SciTechDaily - May 11th, 2020
- The Rise of the Modern Tech Ecosystem | Sponsored Content | Tech-Talk Webinar, On-Demand - eMarketer - April 26th, 2020
- UAE- Formula One paying teams to protect 'ecosystem' - MENAFN.COM - April 26th, 2020
- How Facebook is logging into the Reliance Jio ecosystem - Economic Times - April 26th, 2020
- Interactive Graphic: Salafi Jihadi Ecosystem In The Sahel - Critical Threats Project - April 26th, 2020
- What will it take for the micro-entrepreneurial ecosystem to survive the crisis that has been amplified by COV - YourStory - April 26th, 2020
- The federal IT service provider of Germany relies on Cloudogu EcoSystem - PR Web - April 26th, 2020
- Treehouse Village overnights available this summer at Metroparks Toledos Oak Openings Preserve - cleveland.com - April 26th, 2020
- Apple Pay outage preventing some users from paying their Apple Card bill and more - 9to5Mac - April 26th, 2020
- Why Cash App Can Drive Square's Valuation Much Higher - Seeking Alpha - April 26th, 2020
- COVID-19 has positive impact on Thailand's ecosystem - Pattaya Mail - April 26th, 2020
- Pasadenas mayor reflects on the pandemics strictures - The Pasadena Star-News - April 26th, 2020
- One in 3 death certificates were wrong before coronavirus. It's about to get even worse. - USA TODAY - April 26th, 2020
- RT-Thread RTOS Creates a New Model of the Real-Time Operating System - IT News Online - April 26th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on the Global Industrial Robotics Market - Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 10.4% During 2020-2025; Down by ~3% on the Pre-COVID-19... - April 26th, 2020
- The Extinction Crisis Devastating San Francisco Bay - The Nation - April 26th, 2020
- How Coronavirus Is Impacting The SDN, NFV & Network Virtualization Ecosystem: 2017 2030 - Cole of Duty - April 26th, 2020
- Education Ecosystem with Unified Technology Market Countries Analysis Report 2020 by Industry Size, Share, Growth Rate and Revenue - Latest Herald - April 26th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Research Report prospects the HetNet Ecosystem Market - Jewish Life News - April 26th, 2020
- The Coming Ecosystem Collapse Is Already Here for Coral - The New Republic - April 17th, 2020
- Coronavirus Pandemic Linked to Destruction of Wildlife and World's Ecosystems - EcoWatch - April 17th, 2020
- A new venture studio is aiming to foster the development of the Algorand ecosystem - CryptoSlate - April 17th, 2020
- Ethereum Tops DApp Ecosystem in Q1 Followed by Tron and EOS: DappRadar Report - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - April 17th, 2020
- New report reveals a growing and diverse VR/AR ecosystem in B.C., but challenges loom - BCBusiness - April 17th, 2020
- Meet the businesses collaborating for the good of the SME ecosystem | News - Speciality Food - April 17th, 2020
- Coronavirus pandemic will hit the tech startup ecosystem hard but there is hope - SiliconANGLE - April 2nd, 2020
- Hardware Threats to an IoT Ecosystem - IoT For All - April 2nd, 2020
- Mozilla to extend Coil support in the Firefox Reality ecosystem - Neowin - April 2nd, 2020
- Secure Technology Alliance Publishes White Paper on Mobile Driver's Licenses and Emerging Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - April 2nd, 2020
- Plague is a significant source of mortality in pumas in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem - Outbreak News Today - April 2nd, 2020
- How to EcoSystem-ize Your PCs & Laptops to Reduce Carbon Footprint and Boost Productivity - News & Features - April 2nd, 2020
- In Other Waters review - PC Gamer - April 2nd, 2020
- The startup ecosystem gets its ACT together, sets up fund to help fight COVID-19 - Moneycontrol - April 2nd, 2020
- Mobile accessory brand juice creates its own global ecosystem - Packaging News - April 2nd, 2020
- Paradigm Is Biggest Winner of MakerDAO Lending Systems MKR Governance Tokens, to Cover $4.5 Million of Undercollaterized Debt - Crowdfund Insider - April 2nd, 2020
- CSP Cloud-native Technology Adoption & K8s Ecosystem Report 2020 - CSPs' 5G Success Will Depend on Having a Low-Cost, Fast-to-Deploy and Scalable... - April 2nd, 2020
- AUSABLE WATER WISE: Ecosystem engineers of the river channel | News, Sports, Jobs - Lake Placid News - April 2nd, 2020
- Rebooting The Global Economy After Coronavirus: Physical Scarcity To Digital Abundance - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Ecosystem Healthier than 2014 and BitMEX Research Explains Why - U.Today - April 2nd, 2020
- CDFW Awards $37 Million for Ecosystem and Watershed Restoration, Protection and Scientific Study Projects - CDFW News - March 26th, 2020
- Here's how healthcare can build effective ecosystem for innovation, entrepreneurship - India Today - March 26th, 2020
- Neo Foundation unlocks 1.66 million NEO to fund development of ecosystem - NEO News Today - March 26th, 2020
- Sony expands its Smart Agriculture Solution ecosystem - Successful Farming - March 26th, 2020
- Madrid: A city turning eco-fictions into eco-futures through systems innovation - Daily Planet` - March 26th, 2020
- Pablo Escobar's Cocaine Hippos Are Filling Ecosystem Roles in Colombia That Have Been Vacant for Thousands of - Gizmodo - March 26th, 2020
- On The Bench Moves Swiftly to Support the HubSpot Business Ecosystem Putting its Commercial Activity on Hold in the Wake of Coronavirus Disruption -... - March 26th, 2020
- Certain Individual Fish Contribute Far More to Ecosystem Health than Others, Research Shows - Earth Island Journal - March 26th, 2020
- Investing in the Airport Ecosystem: Prospects and Risks - JD Supra - March 26th, 2020
- Breaking Down The Disinformation Ecosystem Around Coronavirus - Newsy - March 26th, 2020
- Duff & Phelps analyses impact of Covid-19 on the value of IPL ecosystem - Best Media Info - March 26th, 2020
- Jack Liu on how Bitcoin SV is changing the payments ecosystem - CoinGeek - March 26th, 2020
- Deepwater Horizon and the Rise of the Omics - Eos - March 26th, 2020
- Tracking app to thermal camera, Indian startup ecosystem is coming together to fight Covid 19 - Economic Times - March 26th, 2020
- Initiative to foster growth of Bangladeshs impact ecosystem launched - The Financial Express BD - March 21st, 2020
- HTC Conducts Its First Virtual "VIVE Ecosystem Conference" (VEC) fully in VR Allowing Global Attendees to Join Virtual Sessions - PRNewswire - March 21st, 2020
- Heres A Look Inside HTCs In-VR Vive Conference, Running This Week - UploadVR - March 21st, 2020
- Navigating the sustainability ecosystem - Recycling Today - March 21st, 2020
- [Startup Bharat] CrAdLE is mentoring entrepreneurs to grow the ecosystem in Gujarat - YourStory - March 21st, 2020
- UTEP partners with City Accelerator to provide insights on El Paso Minority Business Ecosystem - El Paso Herald-Post - March 21st, 2020
- Singapore Emerges as the "Food Tech Ecosystem" of Asia - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine - March 21st, 2020
- IPL cancellation may lead to ecosystem value reducing by $700 mn to $1 bn: Duff & Phelps - TelevisionPost - March 21st, 2020