Marine fossils reveal that it took millions of years for ecosystems to recover from the asteroid impact widely believed to have wiped out the dinosaurs.
In addition to killing the dinosaurs, the impact caused many other species to go extinct, including 90 percent of calcifying plankton a type of phytoplankton that produce calcium carbonate shells, a team led by Sarah Alvarez of the University of Gibraltar reports in the journal Nature.
Such phytoplankton are important to the ocean food web but are also useful to palaeontologists because their shells leave easy-to-study fossils.
Using 54 metres of core sample from the Shatsky Rise, 1,500 kilometres east of Japan, Alvarezs team painstakingly teased out 700,000 plankton fossils from a 13-million-year time span, beginning shortly before the Cretaceous/Paleogene (K/Pg) extinction, as the dino-killing event is known to geologists.
This allowed them to obtain a remarkable glimpse into how a marine ecosystem reboots following a mass extinction. We wanted to find out how long the ocean ecosystems took to recover and how this happened, Alvarez says.
They also wanted to see how the recovery related to the restoration of the carbon cycle, in which phytoplankton grow in surface waters, then die and sink to the depths, carrying their stored carbon with them a major part of the Earths carbon cycle in which they help remove excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
One thing the scientists found was that while most species of phytoplankton went extinct, others rebounded rapidly. But for the first 1.8 million years, their numbers and types varied wildly. Those that were present were also unusually tiny.
At the same time, the amounts of carbon reaching the seafloor (measured by prior researchers) were low, meaning that the carbon cycle wasnt functioning all that well, says Alvarezs co-author, Andy Ridgwell, a climate scientist at the University of California, Riverside.
When the carbon cycle did recover, it corresponded to stabilisation of the ecosystem, as well as a shift to larger (and presumably healthier) cells. But interestingly, this occurred millions of years before plankton had recovered to anything close to their pre-extinction levels of biodiversity.
The result is a mix of good news and bad news for those worried about extinctions caused by such human activities as habitat destruction and anthropogenic climate change.
The good news is that an ecosystem can lose a lot of diversity and still be functional, as was the case 1.8 million years after the K/Pg mass extinction.
From that point of view, Ridgwell says, the climate trolls would be right in saying that high biodiversity doesnt matter.
But, he says, to function, an ecosystem has to have the species needed to do the job, and its not obvious which ones are lynchpins until its too late.
You could look at biodiversity as a backup, he says. The key to preserving biodiversity is that the system could collapse if you remove the right [or wrong] piece, and if you dont know the right piece you cant risk losing things.
And if a collapse does occur, recovery could take a long time 1.8 million years in the case of the K/Pg extinction.
Not to mention that utilitarian values arent the only ones. Theres also all those things about beauty, Ridgwell says. Everything you cant quantify in terms of dollars or petagrams of carbon.
Other scientists are impressed.
Beyond the importance for understanding the K/Pg event, studies like this one I find to be sobering cautionary tales that warn how very long earth systems can take to recover from perturbations, says Ken MacLeod of the University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri.
This paper represents an enormous amount of work, adds Sean Gulick, a geophysicist at the University of Texas, Austin.
See original here:
- The infrastructure of Kick Ecosystem - hackernoon.com - September 25th, 2020
- Humans Destroyed Intact Ecosystem Land the Size of Mexico in Just 13 Years - EcoWatch - September 25th, 2020
- This is the size of undisturbed ecosystems lost in 13 years - World Economic Forum - September 25th, 2020
- maurices Partners with TCS to Build Greenfield IT Ecosystem for its Growth and Transformation - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- Helping the UN Guide Ecosystem Restoration Into the Mainstream - CSRwire.com - September 25th, 2020
- Delivery vehicles moving to electric ecosystem - Robotics and Automation News - September 25th, 2020
- Don't eat the rainforests: Top brands complicit in Indonesia's ecosystem destruction, probe alleges - Down To Earth Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- Colombia: Cross Border Tech Innovation and Ecosystem building - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- The DNS Ecosystem, Its Vulnerabilities, and Threat Mitigations - CircleID - September 25th, 2020
- Do impact bonds affect the ecosystem of social services delivery and financing? - Brookings Institution - September 25th, 2020
- Scaling Up The Start-up Ecosystem Recommendations Of Standing Committee On Finance - Finance and Banking - India - Mondaq News Alerts - September 25th, 2020
- VR AR Content Creation Ecosystem Market will Register a Significant CAGR During Period 2020-2026 | 18.5% CAGR| Know the Companies List Could... - September 25th, 2020
- Why the new farm Bills should excite the advertising ecosystem - Business Standard - September 25th, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - AiThority - September 4th, 2020
- Why Harmless Harvest takes an ecosystem-based approach to business - New Hope Network - September 4th, 2020
- An 'Ecosystem' Has Propelled NYC Life Sciences Over The Past 5 Years - Bisnow - September 4th, 2020
- BorgWarner expands collaboration with startup ecosystem Plug and Play - Automotive World - September 4th, 2020
- 'Drilling Would Have Devastating Impacts on This Fragile Ecosystem' - FAIR - September 4th, 2020
- Jellypipe launches its online AM ecosystem in the UK and Ireland - Metal Additive Manufacturing magazine - September 4th, 2020
- A Burgeoning Robotic Ecosystem Is Reshaping the Business Landscape - IoT World Today - September 4th, 2020
- New approach needed to protect health of Californias rivers - CALmatters - September 4th, 2020
- Ricoh unveils new AI-powered digital transformation ecosystem to drive Workflow and Process Automation - PRNewswire - September 4th, 2020
- Global mHealth Ecosystem Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast 2025 |... - September 4th, 2020
- IoT Ecosystem Creates an Optimized Smart Warehouse - The Union Journal - September 4th, 2020
- Eight Startups That Could Transform The Aviation Ecosystem - Aviation Week - September 4th, 2020
- TRON and Band Protocol Form Strategic Partnership; Scalable Oracle Technology and Ecosystem Integrations Underway - Business Wire - September 4th, 2020
- The Eight Startups That Could Transform The Aviation Ecosystem - Aviation Week - September 4th, 2020
- Eisai will shift U.S. HQ to New Jersey 'bio-ecosystem' in move to boost oncology, neurology portfolios - FiercePharma - August 12th, 2020
- What is an entrepreneurial ecosystem? And why you need one to raise a startup - TNW - August 12th, 2020
- Thales Expands Technology Partner Ecosystem to Accelerate Enterprises' Cloud and Digital Transformation Initiatives - Business Wire - August 12th, 2020
- Navajo Nation and Environmental Groups Oppose Dam Project Impacting Grand Canyon Ecosystem - Between The Lines - August 12th, 2020
- Alchemy Goes Public With Developer Platform in Bid to Grow DeFi Ecosystem - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 12th, 2020
- ScamNation Report Profiles Digital Ecosystem Targeting Readers of False, Hyperpartisan News with COVID-19 Subscription Traps - GlobeNewswire - August 12th, 2020
- Ecosystem Services: Nature's Gifts That Help Us Thrive | Earth 911 - Earth911.com - August 12th, 2020
- How an entrepreneur saved Kerala wetland ecosystem from real estate interest - Down To Earth Magazine - August 12th, 2020
- QDX HealthID Signs Distribution Agreement with Innova Medical Group Inc. Adding Antigen, Molecular and Antibody Tests to its COVID-19 Test Ecosystem -... - August 12th, 2020
- 5 VCs on the future of Michigans startup ecosystem - TechCrunch - August 12th, 2020
- VCIA: blockchain-based ecosystem will shape digital future of captive industry - Captive Insurance Times - August 12th, 2020
- Microsoft and Samsung need each other now more than ever - The Verge - August 12th, 2020
- "ScamNation" Report Profiles Digital Ecosystem Targeting Readers of False, Hyperpartisan News with COVID-19 Subscription Traps - Benzinga - August 12th, 2020
- "Transitioning to future with stronger APAC healthcare ecosystem" - BSA bureau - August 12th, 2020
- BBT is the first and most competitive game ecosystem - GameDev.net - August 12th, 2020
- Purple urchin has overrun kelp forests, commercial divers and conservationists have have joined forces to restore the North Coasts marine ecosystem -... - August 12th, 2020
- Four Altcoins Could Break Out As Ethereum-Based Ecosystem Goes Parabolic, According to Messari Researcher - The Daily Hodl - August 12th, 2020
- Samsung Unveils Five New Power Devices in the Galaxy Ecosystem to Empower Your Work and Play - Samsung Global Newsroom - August 10th, 2020
- Google Cloud partner ecosystem is thriving and valuable to partner companies, says IDC - TechRepublic - August 10th, 2020
- Global Forecasts for the Intelligent Transportation System Market to 2025 with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by Offering, System, Application, and... - August 10th, 2020
- Diversity & Inclusion in Investment Management: SEC Explores Creating a More Inclusive Capital Formation Ecosystem - JD Supra - August 10th, 2020
- New Marine Park in Australia's Northern Territory Protects a Flourishing Ecosystem - The Pew Charitable Trusts - August 10th, 2020
- Ecosystem of innovation - The News International - August 10th, 2020
- Chehalis River: Watershed Helath, Climate Resilience, and Ecosystem Restoration - The Columbian - August 10th, 2020
- CerebrumX Launched - Buckling Up the Car Data Monetization Ecosystem for the Exciting Ride Ahead - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- Vinli Hires George Ayres as Executive Vice President of Partnerships to Drive the Future of Its Connected Vehicle Ecosystem - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- 6 Ways to Build the Healthcare System of the Future - HealthLeaders Media - August 10th, 2020
- How The Chinese Open Source Ecosystem Is Thriving And Advancing AI - Analytics India Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Best of BS Opinion: Indias digital ecosystem, beyond Ayodhya, and more - Business Standard - August 10th, 2020
- How can Canadas performing arts ecosystem change in the face of COVID-19? - The Globe and Mail - August 10th, 2020
- yEarn Expanding its Ecosystem to Bring in Hot DeFi Tokens into the Mix - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - August 10th, 2020
- What is the current state of the UAE's startup ecosystem? - Gulf Business News - August 10th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact & Recovery Analysis - Commercial Vehicle Advanced Emergency Braking System (AEBS) Market (2020-2024) | Integration of Advanced... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Connected Cow and Farm Market Report 2020: Market Size, Forecasts, Insights and Opportunities to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Alabama Mercedes plant among first in world to use innovative production system - Alabama NewsCenter - August 8th, 2020
- Enhanced efficiency thanks to new family of applications: Digital Mercedes-Benz production ecosystem MO360: global production networked in real time -... - August 8th, 2020
- Peril in the hills: Extreme weather a danger for Nilgiri ecosystem - Down To Earth Magazine - August 8th, 2020
- IPL returns but will be played in UAE; Indian cricket ecosystem loses out - The Times of India Blog - August 8th, 2020
- The Giant Panda Is a Conservation Icon, But The Success Story Masks a Dark Truth - ScienceAlert - August 7th, 2020
- This mobile game lets you build ecosystems that will help solve real-world ecological problems - Fast Company - August 7th, 2020
- BigPanda Invests in Partner Ecosystem to Deliver on Customer Demand for Improved IT Operations - GlobeNewswire - August 7th, 2020
- The IoT Community Internet of Things Community Announces Phizzle Has Joined Its Elite IoT Ecosystem as a Gold Level Corporate Member - Business Wire - August 7th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Clinical Trial Management System Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR of Almost 11% Through 2020-2024 | Increasing Outsourcing of... - August 7th, 2020
- The AR/VR ecosystem Are we there yet? - VentureBeat - August 4th, 2020
- Spixii Joins Duck Creek Technologies Partner Ecosystem, Offering Award-Winning Claim Solution to Deliver on Customer Expectations at the Moment of... - August 4th, 2020
- DIY phishing kits dissected: Organizations urged to tackle the underground ecosystem that democratized cybercrime - The Daily Swig - August 4th, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on The Wearable Technology Ecosystem Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2018 to 2030... - August 4th, 2020
- India Gaming Summit 2020: How Dream11 plans to build the esports ecosystem from the bottoms up - The Financial Express - August 4th, 2020
- Huawei Ecosystem has gone beyond the heights with 1.6 M Global Developers - - Technology Times Pakistan - August 4th, 2020
- Opinion | How to make online payments bustle with competition - Livemint - August 4th, 2020
- Building ecosystems is hard. Auditing them is worse. - Stacey on IoT - August 4th, 2020
- AB 3030 fails to recognize marine protections that exists in California - CALmatters - August 4th, 2020
- VoLTE (Voice over LTE) Ecosystem Industry Market Professional Survey 2020 by Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Trends, Types and Applications, Forecast to... - August 4th, 2020