Do you have money to invest and a desire to help diversify Nevadas economy? Startup NV wants to hear from you.
The nonprofit organization is holding an angel investor boot camp to introduce investors especially those from minority communities to opportunities in Nevada.
Organizers say the fragility shown by Nevadas economy during the pandemic demonstrates the need to create jobs outside of the hospitality industry.
Angel investing is a type of investment that puts dollars towards startup businesses as another way to diversify the economy, said Myisha Williams, asmall businesswoman and member of the Nevada Commission on Minority Affairs.
Williams said business owners around the state have realized that relying on one industrycan be their downfall if that industrygoes through a major downturn, as gaming and tourism did in 2020.
She said that everyone knows diversification is vitalto the state,creating a new and inclusive eco-system is one way to begin this journey and there is definitely need and opportunity.
Startup NV is part of creating that new eco-system, she said. The program guides startup businesses from concept until they start producing revenue. Williams said the nonprofit provides mentorship, pitch preparation, and, eventually, an introduction to a network of potential capital partners.
It builds a win-win venture capital network, she said.
So far, Startup NV has worked with 18 startups and raised more than $68 million in three years. Williams said the nonprofit hopes to build on its early success, and it is getting support from other businesses, nonprofits and public agencies.
Williams said Startup NV is, at this point, an educational opportunity for people.
This may not be the typical investment platform that you see," she said,"This is one that is recognizing that theres not something available now, and its creating that. And its creating it at an entry point where folks can come in learn how to do this and build from it.
Those in the investor boot camp will be asked to bring $5,000 to the table that will be pooled with other investors and then distributed to a startup of the investors' choice in late spring.
The idea, Williams said, is to bring startup businesses that have gone through Startup NV's education programs, and investors, who have done the same, together to jumpstart a new venture in Nevada.
Those interested in being part of the boot camp have to meet the Securities and Exchange Commission's angel investor requirements, which are having a net worth of$1 million or making $200,000 a year or $300,000 if someone is married.
If you meet those requirements, and you have a cool $5,000, this is a great place to put it not only are you getting to put that money into an investment but youre growing your investment network, which is new to the region and highly valuable, and two, youre getting the education you can take that with you forever, she said.
Williams is especially interested in getting people of color involved in investing. She said while many communities of color are behind in earnings, savings and liquidity that doesn't apply to everyone in those communities.
Not taking this subset of ideal investors into consideration when building a new investment eco-system would be a sorely missed opportunity, she said.
In addition, Williams said that while investors are focused on making a profit mosttend to pick products, people and innovations based a personal connectionor familiar feeling.
I would make the case that if recruitment is homogenous then investments will be as well, she said.
A growing bio-medical company that has already benefitted from the help of Startup NV is Heligenics. Its CEO Martin Schiller said the nonprofit was a big help.
Startup NV was invaluable because they kind of did some pretty good coaching, he said.
Schiller's company grew out of the Institute for Personalized Medicine at UNLV, which got some of its seed money from the Governor's Office of Economic Development or GOED.
The company isolates gene mutations that impact diseases and medical treatments. Then sells that information to companies studying specific drugs and diseases.
While much of the initial research was done at the institute, creating a business out of that research required investors, Schiller said.
About a year ago, we got our first investment and then completed our round [of funding]a little later in the year," he said,"Now, were fully funded and have been going forward with our business and are already making money.
While Schiller had taught science classes in an academic setting, pitching investors on a new biomedical company in a way they understood was a different task entirely.
After pitching 75 investors on the plan, he finally got one person excited about the project, and that person brought in other investors.
Once we got the initial round of money, we knew that we were going to be able to do this pretty quickly and then all of our investors, from the initial investment, came back with more money and more friends and completed the round, he said.
Now, the company has about 10 to 12 employees, a laboratory space that the city of Las Vegas helped it secure and several agreements with drug and medical research companies.
I think our investors are going to be pretty happy within a year, he said.
While almost everyone agrees that diversification is important for Nevada's economy, former Nevada Treasurer and current angel investor Dan Schwartz doesn't believe Nevada is going about it the right way.
One of the reasons Nevada is kind of behind is, and as state treasurer, I opposed the $750 million that the state invested in the football stadium. Thats one reason why were not getting angel investing here is because the state is supporting football stadiums, he said.
The former treasurer believes one of the biggest stumbling blocks forthe state in drawing in venture capitalists is the "cultural climate" that favors gaming and not technology startups.
I think its a cultural question of whether Nevada gets off of its addiction to gaming and entertainment and starts saying, Hey, we need to diversify, he said.
He said the state has a great climate for business, including low taxes and nopersonal income tax, but it lacks the expertise and knowledge to build companies.
In addition to where the state decides to spend its money, Schwartz points to Nevada's education system as an obstacleto investing.
Schwartz has invested in a gold mine in Nevada but most of his other investments have been in national companies headquartered in California.
- Atari: Results of the first half of 2020-2021 Paris Stock Exchange:ATA - GlobeNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- CME: The Benefits of More Automated FX Trade - finews.asia - February 17th, 2021
- RIOT GAMES, FREAKS 4U GAMING and SPORTFIVE partner up to produce and commercialize the 2021 VALORANT CHAMPIONS TOUR - European Gaming Industry News - February 17th, 2021
- A 'pop-up' airport for electric aircraft could transform the way we think about urban travel - CNBC - February 17th, 2021
- Neom's futuristic 'Line' in the sand is good news for Saudi Arabia's tech start-ups - Arab News - February 17th, 2021
- Biomass Utilization System Market Analysis 2021 to 2027 with Strategic Trends Growth, Revenue|KOBELCO ECO-SOLUTIONS, China Southern Power Grid,... - February 17th, 2021
- Why Investors Should Heed The African Tech Startups Devouring Consumer Finance - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- The New Zealand Merino Company Launches Apparel Industry's First 100% Regenerative Wool Platform in Partnership With Global Brands Allbirds,... - February 17th, 2021
- New #femaleboss project makes a stand for Scottish women in business - HeraldScotland - February 17th, 2021
- Plant safaris- the mystery and magic of the plant kingdom - Rising Sun Overport - February 17th, 2021
- A digital catch-22: after the crisis, who's betting on digital transformation? - USAPP American Politics and Policy (blog) - February 17th, 2021
- How Hotels And OTAs Can Prepare For The Post-Pandemic Future | By Andrew Gogus Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - February 17th, 2021
- La Liga side Athletic Bilbao hope to export their model globally including to India - The New Indian Express - February 17th, 2021
- Tackling Indonesias Poverty With Palm Oil - The ASEAN Post - February 17th, 2021
- Eos partners with US-based Kineticos to invest over 10M in early-stage Scottish life sciences startups - UKTN (UK Technology News - February 17th, 2021
- Wild Bicester on mission to boost wildlife in town - Oxford Mail - February 17th, 2021
- The deception of greenwashing in fast fashion - Down To Earth Magazine - February 17th, 2021
- Flying high: Naturalist charts transformation of Mar Lodge estate as wildlife haven reaches landmark in 200-year regeneration - The Sunday Post - February 17th, 2021
- Allbirds and Icebreaker back regenerative wool platform | Apparel Industry News | just-style - just-style.com - February 11th, 2021
- Let caterpillars nibble your leaves to create a healthier garden, advise the RHS - HouseBeautiful.com - February 11th, 2021
- Warning system, environment study may have prevented Uttarakhand tragedy - The Federal - February 11th, 2021
- 5G experimentation and security grows in govt, military sectors - Help Net Security - February 11th, 2021
- New Technology to Kill SARS Associated Human Coronavirus in the Air and on Surfaces - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- In the battle for the edge, 5G software is the Excalibur - Ericsson - February 11th, 2021
- Dow and Lucro to Launch PCR Plastics Solution in India - waste360 - February 11th, 2021
- Florida Family Finds Monster 16ft, 300lb Python On Their Property RM - TooFab - February 11th, 2021
- Document Security Systems, Inc., Coinstreet Partners and GSX Group Collaborate to Develop Digital Asset Exchange Business in the US - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- 5G and the digital cockpit Q&A with Harman - just-auto.com - February 11th, 2021
- Recent news in brief collected from around Mallorca - Euro Weekly News - February 11th, 2021
- COVID Has Reached Antarctica, and Scientists Are Extremely Concerned for Its Wildlife - EcoWatch - February 11th, 2021
- U.S. Subway Platforms Have Highly Polluted Air - EcoWatch - February 11th, 2021
- Urban Air Mobility Gets a Foot on the Ground with Coventry's Urban Air Port - Inside Unmanned Systems - February 11th, 2021
- Euronet Worldwide, Inc., Uses Its REN Ecosystem to Drive Digital Growth Strategy and Modernization of Payments Systems for Cosmos Bank in India -... - December 17th, 2020
- Learning Ecosystem: Why You Need One, How to Build It - ATD - December 17th, 2020
- VHA Innovation Ecosystem Taps MDClone to Leverage Synthetic Data for Faster Healthcare to Veterans - - HIT Consultant - December 17th, 2020
- FreedomPay and Sightline Payments Partner to Create World's First Cashless Ecosystem for Casinos, Resorts and Gaming Operators - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- If the startup ecosystem can survive a pandemic, it can survive anything - Ruchira Shukla and Alok Goyal - YourStory - December 17th, 2020
- Leverage the Westcon-Comstor Services Bench partner ecosystem - ARNnet - December 17th, 2020
- Cybersecurity Stocktaking in the Connected and Automated Mobility Ecosystem - Lexology - December 17th, 2020
- MDClone Partners with VHA Innovation Ecosystem to Provide Better, Smarter, Faster Healthcare to U.S. Veterans - Business Wire - December 17th, 2020
- Open Mainframe Project Welcomes New Project Tessia, HCL Technologies and Red Hat to its Ecosystem - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Path of destruction: Road to Anjaneri hilltop could threaten fragile rocky outcrop ecosystem - Mongabay-India - December 17th, 2020
- Gotransverse Closes 2020 with Globalization, Business Intelligence, Ecosystem, and Personalization Features for Innovative Monetization Models -... - December 17th, 2020
- Accelerated digitalization, beefed-up edge among other key trends to watch across digital ecosystem in 2021 - Business Review - December 17th, 2020
- IBM outlines commitment to developing the Quantum ecosystem in India More than 1,400 students trained on Qis.. - ETCIO.com - December 17th, 2020
- CrossTower Added as Liquidity Source to the Blockfills ECN Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- code Talks: a podcast series on driving innovation with an open health care ecosystem - cerner.com - December 17th, 2020
- Building a Cost-Effective, High-Performing BI Ecosystem on the Cloud - Datanami - December 17th, 2020
- GPX India adds NIXI to the GPX Interconnection Ecosystem - Express Computer - December 17th, 2020
- Ecologists have studied the role carrion plays in the ecosystem of the Bavarian Forest National Park - India Education Diary - December 17th, 2020
- ICON blockchain expands DeFi ecosystem with ETH Orbit Bridge integration - CryptoNinjas - December 17th, 2020
- There's an ecosystem beneath your feetand it needs protection, new report says - Science Magazine - December 5th, 2020
- Apple M1 is the boost the Windows ecosystem needed: Qualcomm - ZDNet - December 5th, 2020
- An overview of key players in the private network ecosystem - RCR Wireless News - December 5th, 2020
- Polkadot Joins Hands with Chainlink to Overcome Decentralized Nature of Its... - Coinspeaker - December 5th, 2020
- Programme launched to strengthen tech ecosystem in Western Cape - - Ventureburn - December 5th, 2020
- Update on Intel's Neuromorphic Ecosystem Growth and Progress - Business Wire - December 5th, 2020
- Students are drawn into the ecosystem through real impact and relevant goals - not with Brainport-lingo - Innovation Origins - December 5th, 2020
- The Greater Data Ecosystem: Driving Decision-Making | Data & Data Analytics - Supply Chain Digital - The Procurement & Supply Chain Platform - December 5th, 2020
- How KubeLinter fits in the CNCF Ecosystem - Security Boulevard - December 5th, 2020
- Report finds the CSS ecosystem is going through a renewal with new features - SDTimes.com - December 5th, 2020
- The infrastructure of Kick Ecosystem - hackernoon.com - September 25th, 2020
- Humans Destroyed Intact Ecosystem Land the Size of Mexico in Just 13 Years - EcoWatch - September 25th, 2020
- This is the size of undisturbed ecosystems lost in 13 years - World Economic Forum - September 25th, 2020
- maurices Partners with TCS to Build Greenfield IT Ecosystem for its Growth and Transformation - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- Helping the UN Guide Ecosystem Restoration Into the Mainstream - CSRwire.com - September 25th, 2020
- Don't eat the rainforests: Top brands complicit in Indonesia's ecosystem destruction, probe alleges - Down To Earth Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- Colombia: Cross Border Tech Innovation and Ecosystem building - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- The DNS Ecosystem, Its Vulnerabilities, and Threat Mitigations - CircleID - September 25th, 2020
- Scaling Up The Start-up Ecosystem Recommendations Of Standing Committee On Finance - Finance and Banking - India - Mondaq News Alerts - September 25th, 2020
- VR AR Content Creation Ecosystem Market will Register a Significant CAGR During Period 2020-2026 | 18.5% CAGR| Know the Companies List Could... - September 25th, 2020
- Why the new farm Bills should excite the advertising ecosystem - Business Standard - September 25th, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - AiThority - September 4th, 2020
- Why Harmless Harvest takes an ecosystem-based approach to business - New Hope Network - September 4th, 2020
- An 'Ecosystem' Has Propelled NYC Life Sciences Over The Past 5 Years - Bisnow - September 4th, 2020
- BorgWarner expands collaboration with startup ecosystem Plug and Play - Automotive World - September 4th, 2020
- 'Drilling Would Have Devastating Impacts on This Fragile Ecosystem' - FAIR - September 4th, 2020
- Jellypipe launches its online AM ecosystem in the UK and Ireland - Metal Additive Manufacturing magazine - September 4th, 2020
- A Burgeoning Robotic Ecosystem Is Reshaping the Business Landscape - IoT World Today - September 4th, 2020
- New approach needed to protect health of Californias rivers - CALmatters - September 4th, 2020