Healthcare delivery tomorrow will look much different than today for a variety of reasons. Consumer expectations, the emergence of nontraditional players, and a move to value-based care are among the driving forces. Yet nearly all advancements ride on the backbone of technology and the ability to harness a massive quantity of data now being produced.
This June, HealthLeaders convened a select group of health system executive thought leaders to discuss the topic, "Healthcare System of the Future." In his keynote address to CEOs, CFOs, CMOs, and CNOs, as well as innovation and revenue cycle executives, John Halamka, MD, MS, president of the Mayo Clinic Platform, discussed the technology stepping stones that will pave the road forward.
(Editor's note: A similar panel will convene in September to examine additional insights to develop the Healthcare System of the Future. Health system thought leaders interested in participating can contact email@example.com. Please put "Thought Leader" in the subject line.)
The ability to securely examine data in new ways, combined with tools, expertise, and partnerships, creates an ecosystem of collaboration to "cure, connect, transform, and take us to a new level of care delivery beyond bricks and mortar," Halamka says. In his presentation, he outlined six key elements that hospitals and health systems should consider as they plan for the future.
"What tools are you going to need if you're going to build this new healthcare system of the future?" Halamka asks. "Well, certainly, you're going to need a technology platform." The process starts with data.
"If we agree that the healthcare data of the past can inform the care of patients in the future, how can you ethically use historical data?" he queries. Mayo Clinic forged into new territory to address this question.
The Rochester, Minnesotabased healthcare system has about 30 petabytes of structured data and equal amounts of unstructured data and DICOM objects (imaging data), from CT scans, MRI scans, and the like, says Halamka. In addition, there are 25 million biology samples, 30 million digital pathology slides, and active patients generating telemetry data through a variety of remote patient monitors.
"Thats a fair amount of data" to compute, secure, and share with appropriately qualified partners to deliver value to patients and providers, he says. For that reason, Mayo Clinic built an alliance with Google"not to give data to Google, but to have a secure container for storage and compute where only Mayo Clinic has the encryption keys," he says.
Securing the data involved a complex series of processes.
"The first thing we had to do was deidentify data to an extent thats really never been done before," he says. This involved consulting with the Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights, governments around the world, external deidentification and privacy experts in collaboration with a company called nference. "We developed a next generation deidentification algorithm that is far beyond, 'Im going to remove the 18 HIPAA identifiers,' " Halamka says.
Additional considerations included proper consent, as well as compliance with HIPAA, the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and the California Consumer Privacy Act to make the data available as an asset for a variety of collaborations.
Strong governance was another factor, involving the CEOs of Google, the Google Health team, the Google Cloud team, and Mayo Clinic's senior leadership, Halamka says. These executives worked together to outline priorities, determine who can do what with the data, and design an approval process.
As a result, Halamka says, "We have been able to achieve a level of what well call a certified deidentification system that creates this cloud-hosted container that we can then bring collaborators into. The important thing about that asset is its not exfiltrated; its not like the data is sent somewhere else. Its a secure container where then we bring in collaborators into that container under our control with strict auditing and monitoring of all their activities and data use agreements and that kind of thing."
Mayo Clinic plans to share its model with others down the road.
Another key component to tomorrow's healthcare delivery system is the ability to connect a variety of databases and sources to the electronic health record (EHR). Halamka says that several years ago, "Mayo created a Universal Data Platform, which was a mechanism to take data marts, link them with universal identifiers, and then have one longitudinal view over the patients entire experience of every elementinpatient, outpatient, ambulatory, home care, SNF care, images, and textthat had ever been gathered about them."
The ability to examine such a longitudinal patient record within a secure container could be a valuable research asset, but the process involved in deidentifying that data is complex. While the process has been challenging, Halamka says Mayo Clinic expects to add 2.5 million comprehensive unstructured records to the cloud this summer.
Harnessing data from wearable technology is another piece of the puzzle on the road ahead. "What are you going to do with that data?" Halamka queried. "How are you going to ingest it? How are you going to route it to algorithms and to those clinical services that would want to interpret it and provide not just information, but wisdom from the interpretation of these various signals? You need to build an orchestration layer that is capable of connecting to all these novel sources of telemetry and that provides an end-to-end workflow to connect the telemetry to people and to algorithms."
Machine learning tools will play a key role in the healthcare system of the future, says Halamka. "It will help you use data, search it, and turn it into wisdom."
In concert with Google, Mayo has created an artificial intelligence (AI) factory for the organization, which examines preloaded, curated data, yet also enables an individual user to upload a local data set, Halamka explains. Then, using TensorFlow and other tools, they can create algorithms that will have measurable impact.
For example, data from a wearable is delivered via telemetry into the database. It then goes to an algorithm from the AI warehouse, which could deliver a care plan or treatment advice. The AI factory has already produced success stories, Halamka says:
"Imagine the healthcare system of the future is a series of experts creating a series of value-added algorithms that are able to connect to an ecosystem and then turn data received into high-quality, low-cost care," Halamka says.
For instance, the radiation oncology auto contouring treatment plan mentioned above tends to deliver lower doses with fewer side effects than most typical programs, he says. In the future, a provider might be able to send an image of a patient's tumor to Mayo Clinic, which will then deliver back a linear accelerator treatment plan "that is going to have few side effects and presumably higher quality and better outcomes," Halamka says. "I imagine healthcare systems across the world will offer these sorts of things. It will be a much more digitally enabled ecosystem."
Addressing socioeconomic disparities related to reduced access to technology among some populations will also play a role in the future of healthcare, Halamka says, who cites a story to illustrate his point. "About a year ago, a large tech company sent a number of engineers to Boston and wanted to visit a Medicaid clinic to understand the considerations of a person who may have issues of technology access, familiarity, literacy, or even the ability to have a cellular plan or a reasonably modern phone."
He continues, "I brought these [roughly] 28-year-olds, all wonderful people, to this clinic and they walk up to a homeless gentleman and the first question they ask is, 'Whats your favorite wearable?' He looked at them and said, 'Socks.' "
Halamka says that those using technology to enhance healthcare delivery need to understand that "were not [always] engineering [solutions] for an iPhone 11 and [placing] five different devices on your body. How do you create something that works on the simplest feature phone? How do you do it via SMS text? How do you meet the patient at their level of technological comfort?"
One way to address disparities is through human intervention," he suggests. "We may need a new position in healthcare called a care traffic controllersomebody who, on your behalf, is actually doing some of this digital work and is your interpreter. My mom is almost 80 and when I tell her, 'Dont you realize the ONC information blocking rule enables you to use a FHIR API to gather your longitudinal patient record on your phone?' She says, 'I dont know what any of that meant, but why would I even want it?' I explained to her why having data stewardship is good, and she said, 'Great, you're my data steward. Go do it for me.' We absolutely must think about language and literacy, technological comfort, and ability to afford and engineer for all the different kind of delivery mechanisms well need, including a human delivery mechanism."
While smaller hospitals and health systems may not have the same resources as Mayo Clinic and other high-profile academic health systems, they still can play a role in transforming healthcare delivery and innovating the future of healthcare, Halamka says. As virtual care gains ground, building alliances and partnerships with health systems such as Mayo will enhance the level of care offered in all communities. Urgent care clinics, emergency departments, and ICUs, as well as critical access hospitals and community hospitals, "will be connected to other organizations offering services they may not be able to invest in themselves," he says.
Yet it is still possible to innovate at a local level. "It depends upon the visionary leadership of the organization," Halamka says. "Even a small organization can do amazing things. Pick a niche and do it well. There are lots of niche possibilities if you have a willingness to take a risk."
To obtain a copy of the Healthcare System of the Future Innovation Insights Report that will soon be published in the coming weeks, check our home page, subscribe to our free weekly Next Innovation Newsletter for a link, or connect with Innovations Editor Mandy Roth on LinkedIn for a update when the report is available.
Thought leaders participating in the innovation roundtable discussion included:
Mandy Roth is the innovations editor at HealthLeaders.
Read the original post:
- The infrastructure of Kick Ecosystem - hackernoon.com - September 25th, 2020
- Humans Destroyed Intact Ecosystem Land the Size of Mexico in Just 13 Years - EcoWatch - September 25th, 2020
- This is the size of undisturbed ecosystems lost in 13 years - World Economic Forum - September 25th, 2020
- maurices Partners with TCS to Build Greenfield IT Ecosystem for its Growth and Transformation - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- Helping the UN Guide Ecosystem Restoration Into the Mainstream - CSRwire.com - September 25th, 2020
- Don't eat the rainforests: Top brands complicit in Indonesia's ecosystem destruction, probe alleges - Down To Earth Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- Colombia: Cross Border Tech Innovation and Ecosystem building - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- The DNS Ecosystem, Its Vulnerabilities, and Threat Mitigations - CircleID - September 25th, 2020
- Scaling Up The Start-up Ecosystem Recommendations Of Standing Committee On Finance - Finance and Banking - India - Mondaq News Alerts - September 25th, 2020
- VR AR Content Creation Ecosystem Market will Register a Significant CAGR During Period 2020-2026 | 18.5% CAGR| Know the Companies List Could... - September 25th, 2020
- Why the new farm Bills should excite the advertising ecosystem - Business Standard - September 25th, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - AiThority - September 4th, 2020
- Why Harmless Harvest takes an ecosystem-based approach to business - New Hope Network - September 4th, 2020
- An 'Ecosystem' Has Propelled NYC Life Sciences Over The Past 5 Years - Bisnow - September 4th, 2020
- BorgWarner expands collaboration with startup ecosystem Plug and Play - Automotive World - September 4th, 2020
- 'Drilling Would Have Devastating Impacts on This Fragile Ecosystem' - FAIR - September 4th, 2020
- Jellypipe launches its online AM ecosystem in the UK and Ireland - Metal Additive Manufacturing magazine - September 4th, 2020
- A Burgeoning Robotic Ecosystem Is Reshaping the Business Landscape - IoT World Today - September 4th, 2020
- New approach needed to protect health of Californias rivers - CALmatters - September 4th, 2020
- Ricoh unveils new AI-powered digital transformation ecosystem to drive Workflow and Process Automation - PRNewswire - September 4th, 2020
- Global mHealth Ecosystem Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast 2025 |... - September 4th, 2020
- IoT Ecosystem Creates an Optimized Smart Warehouse - The Union Journal - September 4th, 2020
- Eight Startups That Could Transform The Aviation Ecosystem - Aviation Week - September 4th, 2020
- TRON and Band Protocol Form Strategic Partnership; Scalable Oracle Technology and Ecosystem Integrations Underway - Business Wire - September 4th, 2020
- The Eight Startups That Could Transform The Aviation Ecosystem - Aviation Week - September 4th, 2020
- Eisai will shift U.S. HQ to New Jersey 'bio-ecosystem' in move to boost oncology, neurology portfolios - FiercePharma - August 12th, 2020
- What is an entrepreneurial ecosystem? And why you need one to raise a startup - TNW - August 12th, 2020
- Thales Expands Technology Partner Ecosystem to Accelerate Enterprises' Cloud and Digital Transformation Initiatives - Business Wire - August 12th, 2020
- Navajo Nation and Environmental Groups Oppose Dam Project Impacting Grand Canyon Ecosystem - Between The Lines - August 12th, 2020
- Alchemy Goes Public With Developer Platform in Bid to Grow DeFi Ecosystem - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 12th, 2020
- ScamNation Report Profiles Digital Ecosystem Targeting Readers of False, Hyperpartisan News with COVID-19 Subscription Traps - GlobeNewswire - August 12th, 2020
- Ecosystem Services: Nature's Gifts That Help Us Thrive | Earth 911 - Earth911.com - August 12th, 2020
- How an entrepreneur saved Kerala wetland ecosystem from real estate interest - Down To Earth Magazine - August 12th, 2020
- QDX HealthID Signs Distribution Agreement with Innova Medical Group Inc. Adding Antigen, Molecular and Antibody Tests to its COVID-19 Test Ecosystem -... - August 12th, 2020
- 5 VCs on the future of Michigans startup ecosystem - TechCrunch - August 12th, 2020
- VCIA: blockchain-based ecosystem will shape digital future of captive industry - Captive Insurance Times - August 12th, 2020
- Microsoft and Samsung need each other now more than ever - The Verge - August 12th, 2020
- "ScamNation" Report Profiles Digital Ecosystem Targeting Readers of False, Hyperpartisan News with COVID-19 Subscription Traps - Benzinga - August 12th, 2020
- "Transitioning to future with stronger APAC healthcare ecosystem" - BSA bureau - August 12th, 2020
- BBT is the first and most competitive game ecosystem - GameDev.net - August 12th, 2020
- Purple urchin has overrun kelp forests, commercial divers and conservationists have have joined forces to restore the North Coasts marine ecosystem -... - August 12th, 2020
- Four Altcoins Could Break Out As Ethereum-Based Ecosystem Goes Parabolic, According to Messari Researcher - The Daily Hodl - August 12th, 2020
- Samsung Unveils Five New Power Devices in the Galaxy Ecosystem to Empower Your Work and Play - Samsung Global Newsroom - August 10th, 2020
- Google Cloud partner ecosystem is thriving and valuable to partner companies, says IDC - TechRepublic - August 10th, 2020
- Global Forecasts for the Intelligent Transportation System Market to 2025 with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by Offering, System, Application, and... - August 10th, 2020
- Diversity & Inclusion in Investment Management: SEC Explores Creating a More Inclusive Capital Formation Ecosystem - JD Supra - August 10th, 2020
- New Marine Park in Australia's Northern Territory Protects a Flourishing Ecosystem - The Pew Charitable Trusts - August 10th, 2020
- Ecosystem of innovation - The News International - August 10th, 2020
- Chehalis River: Watershed Helath, Climate Resilience, and Ecosystem Restoration - The Columbian - August 10th, 2020
- CerebrumX Launched - Buckling Up the Car Data Monetization Ecosystem for the Exciting Ride Ahead - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- Vinli Hires George Ayres as Executive Vice President of Partnerships to Drive the Future of Its Connected Vehicle Ecosystem - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- How The Chinese Open Source Ecosystem Is Thriving And Advancing AI - Analytics India Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Best of BS Opinion: Indias digital ecosystem, beyond Ayodhya, and more - Business Standard - August 10th, 2020
- How can Canadas performing arts ecosystem change in the face of COVID-19? - The Globe and Mail - August 10th, 2020
- yEarn Expanding its Ecosystem to Bring in Hot DeFi Tokens into the Mix - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - August 10th, 2020
- What is the current state of the UAE's startup ecosystem? - Gulf Business News - August 10th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact & Recovery Analysis - Commercial Vehicle Advanced Emergency Braking System (AEBS) Market (2020-2024) | Integration of Advanced... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Connected Cow and Farm Market Report 2020: Market Size, Forecasts, Insights and Opportunities to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Alabama Mercedes plant among first in world to use innovative production system - Alabama NewsCenter - August 8th, 2020
- Enhanced efficiency thanks to new family of applications: Digital Mercedes-Benz production ecosystem MO360: global production networked in real time -... - August 8th, 2020
- Peril in the hills: Extreme weather a danger for Nilgiri ecosystem - Down To Earth Magazine - August 8th, 2020
- IPL returns but will be played in UAE; Indian cricket ecosystem loses out - The Times of India Blog - August 8th, 2020
- The Giant Panda Is a Conservation Icon, But The Success Story Masks a Dark Truth - ScienceAlert - August 7th, 2020
- This mobile game lets you build ecosystems that will help solve real-world ecological problems - Fast Company - August 7th, 2020
- BigPanda Invests in Partner Ecosystem to Deliver on Customer Demand for Improved IT Operations - GlobeNewswire - August 7th, 2020
- The IoT Community Internet of Things Community Announces Phizzle Has Joined Its Elite IoT Ecosystem as a Gold Level Corporate Member - Business Wire - August 7th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Clinical Trial Management System Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR of Almost 11% Through 2020-2024 | Increasing Outsourcing of... - August 7th, 2020
- The AR/VR ecosystem Are we there yet? - VentureBeat - August 4th, 2020
- Spixii Joins Duck Creek Technologies Partner Ecosystem, Offering Award-Winning Claim Solution to Deliver on Customer Expectations at the Moment of... - August 4th, 2020
- DIY phishing kits dissected: Organizations urged to tackle the underground ecosystem that democratized cybercrime - The Daily Swig - August 4th, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on The Wearable Technology Ecosystem Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2018 to 2030... - August 4th, 2020
- India Gaming Summit 2020: How Dream11 plans to build the esports ecosystem from the bottoms up - The Financial Express - August 4th, 2020
- Huawei Ecosystem has gone beyond the heights with 1.6 M Global Developers - - Technology Times Pakistan - August 4th, 2020
- Opinion | How to make online payments bustle with competition - Livemint - August 4th, 2020
- Building ecosystems is hard. Auditing them is worse. - Stacey on IoT - August 4th, 2020
- AB 3030 fails to recognize marine protections that exists in California - CALmatters - August 4th, 2020
- VoLTE (Voice over LTE) Ecosystem Industry Market Professional Survey 2020 by Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Trends, Types and Applications, Forecast to... - August 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Global Automotive Intelligent Door System Market will Accelerate at a CAGR of almost 12% through 2020-2024|Growing Demand for... - August 4th, 2020
- Podcast: CLUECON SPECIAL FEATURE OrecX not only delivers top shelf stereo recording, but delivers a huge ecosystem of add on technology that may... - August 4th, 2020
- Singapore Launches SGGA To Create A Sustainable And Inclusive Ecosystem for Gaming and Esports. - IGN Southeast Asia - August 4th, 2020